Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Another question for Dying Light 2. Should I also just sell all the clothes and weapons I’m not using? So far I haven’t found any thing else I can do with them like disassembling them for crafting components but I’m not sure if that becomes an option later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I certainly never found any other secret thing to do with them by the end of the game, so unless they added something new since March that is pretty much your only option. And considering how quickly your inventory can fill up, selling stuff off regularly is a good idea anyway.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah just sell poo poo you don't use

edit: just gonna add also buy literally every material part you can, but especially Scrap parts. You are gonna go through so much scrap.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 5, 2022

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I don't think the game ever directly mentions it, but in Ghostwire: Tokyo, I think it should be noted that you don't take fall damage.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Cult of the Lamb?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wildermyth

Any gotchas or hidden mechanics? From everything I've heard, it's best to just continue a game even if some encounters go really badly. Is that always the case or is it going to be like XCOM:EU where 99% of the time losses are fine but you can get unlucky and end in a fail-state if you manage to lose a high level squad mid-game or don't understand what satellites do.

E: Total party wipe is game over lol
Yep, gonna need some advice

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 8, 2022

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wildermyth

Any gotchas or hidden mechanics? From everything I've heard, it's best to just continue a game even if some encounters go really badly. Is that always the case or is it going to be like XCOM:EU where 99% of the time losses are fine but you can get unlucky and end in a fail-state if you manage to lose a high level squad mid-game or don't understand what satellites do.

E: Total party wipe is game over lol
Yep, gonna need some advice
I try to build a main party of 2 warriors, 2 rogues, and a mystic as soon as I can. But 2 mystics, 1 rogue may or may not be more optimal.

Your mystics are vital for setting up flanking strikes - interfuse with an object behind an enemy, and even if you whiff hitting with it, attacks from your advancing melee units become guaranteed hits. Their crowd control can also be a lifesaver.

Rogues are best when stealthed, as when in stealth they ignore armor, so a rogue with the "auto-stealth on kill" ability is worth its weight in gold. Lots of maps have doors to open before engaging the next set of enemies, whenever you can, take a turn to hide your rogues before opening them.

Between chapters, I strongly recommend getting your warriors into Linkmail (the first heavy armor upgrade) ASAP. The extra armor stat is vital for turning what would be big hits into minor chip damage. And if a warrior gets the chance to take Untouchable (ignore the first hit after a kill) as an upgrade, take it.

As shields only reduce non-flanking attacks by 1 damage, I prefer to use two-handed weapons on my warriors. And among those, I like axes for the armor shredding and spears for the extra reach.

On longer campaigns, you're not going to be able to use your early units the whole time - even if they survive, they'll get old and retire. So as you get more recruits, try to make two teams with a mix of recruits and veterans to train the newbies up so you don't end up having to fight the final chapters with a bunch of unskilled rookies.

In chapters that don't have a time limit, claiming all regions and searching thoroughly for upgrades is very much worth it.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 8, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks!

Random Hajile posted:

Your mystics are vital for setting up flanking strikes - interfuse with an object behind an enemy, and even if you whiff hitting with it, attacks from your advancing melee units become guaranteed hits. Their crowd control can also be a lifesaver.

Wait, guaranteed hits? Is this a thing with all flanking attacks?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Yep. All flanking attacks are guaranteed hits. And any attack made from a 90-degree angle or greater from a previous attack that turn is considered flanking.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I got this email about the wiki today:

quote:

Hey I've been using beforeiplay for about 2 months now. Its great and all but it needs all of the new games that have came out and the old ones too. plz update the website thanks

So if you could all pick up the pace that'd be helpful. Thanks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh God drat it, all new and old games? *rapidly typing up a SkiFree guide*

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

All of the new games? Alright I guess

For Futa gently caress Dick and Dash in order to get the Orgy option to unlock you need I'm not speculating on this poo poo even as a joke buffer text buffer text for spoiler

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Pretty sure you just have to gently caress, dick and dash - in that order

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

first we have an incomplete catalog, and now the entry for Futa gently caress Dick and Dash is full of fake tips? this site used to have integrity

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Extremely disappointed that there isn't a guide for every game ever made.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
push button
kill monster
get gold

There, just copy/paste that and you're good for most games I think

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Doom:
To kill the Cyberdemon, shoot it until it dies

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm real busy but i found this as a starting point if anyone wants to get moving on this update https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_video_games

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Pull a list of every new release from the Steam API then populate a page with "git gud"

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Vadun posted:

Pull a list of every new release from the Steam API then populate a page with "git gud"

What about the Epic, Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, itch.io, GOG, freeflashgames.ru or whatever other launchers/game stores/sites ?

We'd sure look like idiots if a single game ever didn't have an in-depth selection of curated tips.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shazback posted:

What about the Epic, Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, itch.io, GOG, freeflashgames.ru or whatever other launchers/game stores/sites ?

We'd sure look like idiots if a single game ever didn't have an in-depth selection of curated tips.

Woah woah woah, what about tabletop and paper games? I could definitely use some pointers on how to approach four square, too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anything for Disney Dreamlight Valley? Asking for obviously a friend or a child or something and not for me so please keep the advice simple.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Anything for Disney Dreamlight Valley? Asking for obviously a friend or a child or something and not for me so please keep the advice simple.

The recipe autofill will pick which fish/vegetable/etc to use with no regard for what you want to keep. Also, seaweed is a vegetable that you will need a lot of.

Crafting stations can use items that are stored in chests

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elendil004 posted:

I don't play the game but my gf does (not making a joke here, I just haven't had time to check it out), but the biggest complaint I have heard from her is that there are shards or something that are a limited resource - don't use these unless you need to progress, you only get new ones daily so if you come across something that stops you from moving forward without shards and you are all out, you're mostly out of luck.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What the gently caress is Immortality? I know it's a newer game but I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing at all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
just keep at it, there isn't a lot to say other than that

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Something for Triangle Strategy that I would have missed unless someone pointed it out to me, is that

you can press X when a character is speaking to see their portrait and a short description of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

you can press X when a character is speaking to see their portrait and a short description of them.

Can I get this IRL please?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Something for Triangle Strategy that I would have missed unless someone pointed it out to me, is that

:psyduck: it literally points this out in the GUI of the game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just starting it myself so if anyone has info on Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis, that'd be nice. So far all I know is that it's also a gacha thing so you should be doing the daily missions. So once I get through the prologue I'll start working on that too.

I went with Ranger as my starting class since being able to stay away from enemies seemed like a good idea to me.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Once you get the opportunity to get skill points from the places that give you them upon the first clear, they're account-wide rather than per character, so if you make another character, you can get a head start.

In a similar vein, sometime if you accept a side task and you've already fulfilled the objective as your current character, the NPC will go "oh, okay then" as you auto-complete it. For example, when one NPC tells you to check out some training area that you've already visited, this will happen. Based on my experience, this only applies to things like visiting spots; if it's something like gathering or fighting, it probably won't happen.

You've got a starting inventory of 100 spaces and you can directly sell your junk for cash, as well as put anything worth keeping into both a general storage for all characters and a character-specific storage. In the instances you go over the 100, there's also a temporary drop storage. Get acquainted with the system because with all of the things you're going to be beating up, you'll need it.

Since this is an online game, you can party up and gain more EXP for doing so, but you will still gain EXP for enemies other people take out if you don't join a party as long as they're close enough to you for you to claim it. You will also get items like this, so watch your inventory space.

If an enemy is too high a level, you just run. If you try to leech EXP off of it if someone can take them down or if you're persistent enough to kill it anyway, you get nothing. You'll know it's too high a level when you deal only 1 point of damage per hit and the game outright tells you.

For tasks like "find fruit," you can set it as the main objective from the task menu and whenever you pass by any, it will immediately show up on your minimap and on the field with a marker. Handy when gathering gets too annoying for you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Bystander posted:

Once you get the opportunity to get skill points from the places that give you them upon the first clear, they're account-wide rather than per character, so if you make another character, you can get a head start.

This also means you have all your available skill points on a class even if it's level 1, so don't forget to spend them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone got advice for Deathloop?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can you repeat that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

There's not much point exploring in the first loop, it's heavily scripted and you won't be able to keep anything from it except maybe the held weapon (not sure).

Experiment with loadouts a lot - some non-immediately obvious upgrades and trinkets can be very powerful or very fun.

There are only three silenced weapons in the game - you'll find one early enough and the other two are the pistol and SMG with a (randomized) modifier.

You don't need to worry about missing something in loop format too much, the game keeps track of everything important and holds your hand quite a lot.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

There's not much point exploring in the first loop, it's heavily scripted and you won't be able to keep anything from it except maybe the held weapon (not sure).

Haha ok I kind of discovered this while playing it

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

There are only three silenced weapons in the game - you'll find one early enough and the other two are the pistol and SMG with a (randomized) modifier.

Even for non-silent, the range that they can be heard is surprisingly short.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SalTheBard posted:

Give the multiplayer a try, I've heard there was a big update recently that adds some serious balance tweaks but even at release it was a really cool and unique experience - you invade someone's normal game while playing as Julianna and you get a few attempts to hunt them down, using extra powers like changing your model to an NPC's.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not sure how much tips Return to Monkey Island really needs but in the interest of updating the website with all the new games:

- As usual in Monkey Island games, you can't die* or put yourself in a position where you can't complete the game. Experiment with items and dialogue to your heart's content.

- Unlike earlier installments, sometimes you'll have to repeat the same action a few times to actually solve a puzzle.

*technically, you can, if you let a timer run out in certain situations. You can always extract yourself at will, though. (Not even quite sure that's true, I never did let it run out.)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also on Return to Monkey Island

- There's no penalty or loss of achievements for using the hint system (once it appears)
- Double click to run.