Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I thought you needed a TV licence even if you just use the internet in the UK?

Definitely not; you just can't watch anything 'live' (that includes live tv from other countries), Twitch & YT live feeds are fine (so far), can't watch BBC iPlayer either.

All of this may change in the future.

I stopped paying two years ago, got visited twice (that's run by Capita, the get paid for every catch they make and they are not BBC), said nothing, never opened the door to them and slowly accumulated a pile of annoyingly threatening letters which will frighten the unwary to a degree.

Pretty happy that i'm not paying for a service i don't use. :homebrew: :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I just lie about the TV licence, but other than doing it to see if the brendapocalypse had begun I can't actually remember the last time before that

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/I_Dont_Know_Her/status/1568173312798330881?s=20&t=cgFPQc5LCKXf-nKJaR9ieA

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/1568548850150907906?s=19

I was also in an Irish pub and they started singing Men behind the wire.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Eat the telly before they get a chance to nick you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s been interesting watching the accession; the first bit is very Game of Thrones with all the potential challengers in the country signing a bit of paper saying “yep we agree he’s King now”, including:
*His son
*Church
*PM

And then the army does its bit to show they’re not going to do a coup, then he formally signs away all the royal estates to the government to give back what they feel like from time to time.

I’ve never had strong feelings about the monarchy one way or the other and this hasn’t changed that, but it does leave me with a vague sense that it’s nice to have an independent figurehead, preferably selected by lot or something. It really shouldn’t be someone who is elected because by definition they are the figurehead of whoever just won.
If they kept the hat somewhere and formally invested it with all the power of the Crown then they wouldn't need to bother again.

Now personally I'd go for something that embodies some more of the main features of a monarch instead:
  • Large recognizable hat
  • Big stick through which authority is extended
  • Symbol of the nation
  • Earthly avatar of some old Levantine deity
and just have a big clockwork Mr Punch in the Palace of Westminster

You put one of those big old pennies in and turn the handle and it goes "wololo Parliament has legitimacy, Britain is a real country" while waving the stick around and that's that.

The ancient Mesopotamian civilization ran on the legitimacy of wooden god-puppets during festivals like Akitu, and the Romans reported people having hydraulic deities with various moving parts, so it's got legs (even if you need a couple of coathanger wires to move them).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sassassin posted:

I watch Welsh football on S4C and that's about it.

Welsh football? Now you're just making things up.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think you need a TV licence to watch iPlayer but you don't need a licence to watch the news streaming on the BBC website

no you definitely do, it reminds you of it sometimes and they are getting more aggressive getting you to sign in. It's turned off atm though due to events.

One thing I'm completely unsure about is sky news on YouTube.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 10, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I also like having an unelected figurehead just to like, shake hands and have dinner with other heads of state and look nice on magazines. But I feel like we could get that a *lot* cheaper by just appointing, like, someone lovely that everybody likes. David Attenborough or someone. Sue Perkins?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Fair play to Republic: it appeared they may have had a wobble with the whole ‘now is not the time’ stuff the other day, but they’ve gotten back in to gear quicker than I thought they would…

https://twitter.com/republicstaff/status/1568542155924291589?s=46&t=cTQDDTXvpNYXfjuWbnKcwA

https://twitter.com/republicstaff/status/1568535177269317634?s=46&t=cTQDDTXvpNYXfjuWbnKcwA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

If they kept the hat somewhere and formally invested it with all the power of the Crown then they wouldn't need to bother again.

Now personally I'd go for something that embodies some more of the main features of a monarch instead:
  • Large recognizable hat
  • Symbol of the nation

You put one of those big old pennies in and turn the handle and it goes "wololo Parliament has legitimacy, Britain is a real country" while waving the stick around and that's that.

The ancient Mesopotamian civilization ran on the legitimacy of wooden god-puppets during festivals like Akitu, and the Romans reported people having hydraulic deities with various moving parts, so it's got legs (even if you need a couple of coathanger wires to move them).

imo stick her old spitting image puppet on top of a solar-powered roomba and send it off to bounce and handwave around britain as it sinks to its rightful place beneath the waves

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

I also like having an unelected figurehead just to like, shake hands and have dinner with other heads of state and look nice on magazines. But I feel like we could get that a *lot* cheaper by just appointing, like, someone lovely that everybody likes. David Attenborough or someone. Sue Perkins?
You could just have the current appointed Lord President do all that too, with the added bonus that when a Parliament appoints someone unlikeable to that position it reflects badly upon them too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Parliament doesn't give a gently caress about things reflecting badly on them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/cynical_bathtub/status/1568533964993794050

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Getting my nails done and the salon has the news on for the first time ever ughh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Parliament doesn't give a gently caress about things reflecting badly on them.
They've benefited well from having a supposedly apolitical old woman to read all their poo poo out on the tv every year. I don't think Mark Spencer, JRM, Andrea Leadsom, or Chris Grayling would have been given the same pass by the public that she was.

Most of them benefited entirely from people not knowing nor giving a poo poo who the Lord President even was. Make them do that job and suddenly people start noticing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

They've benefited well from having a supposedly apolitical old woman to read all their poo poo out on the tv every year. I don't think Mark Spencer, JRM, Andrea Leadsom, or Chris Grayling would have been given the same pass by the public that she was.

Most of them benefited entirely from people not knowing nor giving a poo poo who the Lord President even was. Make them do that job and suddenly people start noticing.

Well at my grand old age, I had to google Lord President. Absolutely NEVER heard of that before!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Rarity posted:

Getting my nails done and the salon has the news on for the first time ever ughh

Better be a discount for union jack art

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well at my grand old age, I had to google Lord President. Absolutely NEVER heard of that before!
Over the past 200-odd years they have quite cleverly hidden an entire Republic underneath the monarchy (to make sure that the paperwork of a modern state gets done) and then told everyone that it would be very hard to transition to one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Raised By Birds posted:

Got a bunch more obit toons today.

Steve Breen

Matt Davies

John Deering

Walt Handelsman

Phil Hands

Joe Heller

Gary Markstein

Pedro X. Molina

Jeff Stahler

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

LordSloth posted:

Rob Israel

“God Save The Lizard Queen. RIP Queen E-LizardBeth.”

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the accession of King Charles III – The reign of King Charles III has begun, with the new monarch travelling to London to meet the prime minister"

Telegraph:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aipsh posted:

Better be a discount for union jack art

Union FLAG, it's only a Jack if it's on a jack... Actually, never mind, carry on.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Have also just realised we won’t be talking about Brenda anymore. I had to go look it up but apparently the new one is called Brian :geno:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

• Large recognizable hat
  • Symbol of the nation

I could get behind Mr Punch / farting John Bull as the embodiment of the nation yeah.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TACD posted:

Have also just realised we won’t be talking about Brenda anymore. I had to go look it up but apparently the new one is called Brian :geno:

I'm already in the habit of calling him Chucky, with the bonus that it brings to mind the concept of indiscriminate bloodshed.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I moved into my current place exactly 5 years ago and I have had a TV licensing WARNING letter about once a month saying they are coming for me *immediately* .

I've kept every single letter and I'm planning on setting up an art gallery.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What will the equivalent of Operation London Bridge be called for Charlie? Operation Quick Resolution?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Seriously, I'm hoping it's the first not the latter. While modern medicine has gotten far, heart or kidney failure can still involuntary move you six feet underground in less time you'd think. The Year-of-the-three-monarchs is still an option.

He's had it for a decade or more. The type of heart/kidney failure that would lead to your hands swelling would rapidly render you unfit for very much (including living). It's probably arthritis.

PT6A posted:

What will the equivalent of Operation London Bridge be called for Charlie? Operation Quick Resolution?

Operation Sausage Rolls.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SpicePro posted:

I moved into my current place exactly 5 years ago and I have had a TV licensing WARNING letter about once a month saying they are coming for me *immediately* .

I've kept every single letter and I'm planning on setting up an art gallery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebJ4IWXT84

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm already in the habit of calling him Chucky, with the bonus that it brings to mind the concept of indiscriminate bloodshed.

I thought it was his brother who appeared in Child's Play.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
This may be a dumb question but people say poo poo like "we can't get rid of the monarchy, do you really want a President, or the PM as the head of state?" but like... why do we need an official Head of State? That poo poo isn't real

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it is a very nice and sunny day today i think majesty queen in heaven made it nice day for us to enjoy and remember her and the children can have nice summer day and iced-cream and jelly picnicl ike at coronations times and play rounders and tig and go on the swing and slide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :holy:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1568582387126124544
https://twitter.com/theactualemma/status/1568587704744689664

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This may be a dumb question but people say poo poo like "we can't get rid of the monarchy, do you really want a President, or the PM as the head of state?" but like... why do we need an official Head of State? That poo poo isn't real

Could you imagine the damage boris could of done if he hadn't been subject to the rigorous standards of having to lie to the queen that one time and facing zero repercussions

Or how hosed we be without the thin vaneer of an 'apolitical' figure head reading out the government's policy plan at christmas?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh so you want Tony Blair to be president, because that's what'll happen. Better sticking with what we have.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

so much going on in one photo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NoneMoreNegative posted:

so much going on in one photo

A photo where I can see Pat McFudden, Peter Mandleson & Alex Salmond is a truly dark photo indeed

Also Kieth looking over his shoulder like he suspects Tonty will stab him in the back to reclaim the Labour leadership is nice

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

can you bow instead of curtie if you're not a man

like if you have a bad back

or if you'd just rather
Go easy on the poor woman, she's probably still sore from celebrating the leadership election.

Z the IVth posted:

He's had it for a decade or more. The type of heart/kidney failure that would lead to your hands swelling would rapidly render you unfit for very much (including living). It's probably arthritis.
Dactylitis from psoriatic arthritis, according to a reddit thread, but that doesn't seem consistent with a quick image search - it's too consistent across every joint. Same with edema. Even gout, it's very unusual to see the swelling so consistent across both hands.

Also in Finland they apparently have a type of sausage called prinssinakki which translates to something like 'prince fingers' or 'prince jacket' in the sense of a thick covering.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The entire identity of the British State and its systems of support for the past 300 years has been "yes but do you want to be like France??" (or later the USA) while quietly adopting the parts of those systems that work.

The idea that Switzerland (no single head of state) or Ireland (president with limited executive powers) or god forbid any of the Commonwealth countries that figured out their own systems after removing the monarchy are even worth acknowledging, let alone teaching them something, is a cosmic horror to them.

crispix posted:

it is a very nice and sunny day today i think majesty queen in heaven made it nice day for us to enjoy and remember her and the children can have nice summer day and iced-cream and jelly picnicl ike at coronations times and play rounders and tig and go on the swing and slide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :holy:
I went to a village gala in the county today, where if anywhere on earth ought to be the hub of maudlin flagellating monarchism it'd be there, and it really... wasn't.

The pub's pop-up beer tent had a Platinum Jubilee flag they'd got from the spare room, and the local history society had a picture of the queen and a notice saying that someone would be doing a speech near the war memorial saying Charles III exists but 90% of even their stall was "remember these old shops? did you shop here?" and the entire rest of the fair was just the expected chaotic dog shows and local crafts stalls and nervous estate agents hand feeding livestock and pork inna bun vans.

Performative wailing stops at the M25 it seems.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

krays reboot looking a bit poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Some top tier shithousery from Sky News

https://twitter.com/loyih92/status/1568588272418553856?s=20&t=n6QSIfV7w7-Pygi_4wdyaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

krays reboot looking a bit poo poo

Jesus, Tonty looks on the verge of leaning back, opening up his second mouth and chowing down with several row of fangs on Keith's head.
By all means, Tonty...