Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Before:

After:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What a transformation.

Was that from a prior bad repair?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dissss posted:

What a transformation.

Was that from a prior bad repair?

Its an older repair, but it had lasted 20 years. The car got hit in a pizza joint parking lot in ‘02 and lived indoors until 2020. Once it went outside the spot started showing again and I just bought it a few weeks ago to rescue it from rotting outside and potentially getting stolen (someone tried to steal it last winter from the PO’s driveway).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Did you do the paint yourself?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

bird with big dick posted:

Did you do the paint yourself?

Good lord no, I’m useless at paint and body. It was at the body shop all week for professionals to take care of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Good lord no, I’m useless at paint and body. It was at the body shop all week for professionals to take care of it.

Good call. I can do bodywork, but I'm not particularly good at it, and I hate it the entire time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suburban Dad posted:

Nothing as demoralizing than working on something for 3-4 hours, fixing the issue (including testing it several times), and then have it gently caress up as you were wrapping up. Fuuuuuuuuck you something van door cable. Now the door is stuck open as a bonus since the cable didn't snap but has now bound up the pulley mechanism.

It'll be faster the next time, at least. :suicide:

Tackled this again today. Just over 2 hours this time and it seems to be holding. I used a different crimper suggested by the cable manufacturer (tools thread tried to help but I didn't have success using the one suggested) so maybe that was it. The cables are from a different source too and were slightly longer so less tension in it initially.

Still, I'm afraid it's going to snap every time I use the door now. :v: I'm buying the whole motor ($500 vs $30-80 for the cable)if it happens again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Finally got to an alignment rack after replacing the everything up front. I did my best marking bolts/measuring stuff so it kinda sorta was driveable to get it to my friend's shop/rack.

I did not do very well. But all it set and doing great now.

And......I didn't know this was a thing because it's a new rack.......lift lights?

I need this in my life at home now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well with some alignment chat…I have vehicles that don’t exist in the shop computers. I’ve had my personal car aligned and a recent van after getting them to put new shocks on.

Both I asked for the Mai thing is the steering wheel be dead on, but neither are. This is a cool place meaning they won’t hassle me if I come back, is this something I can come back and be like what these wheels aren’t right and they can center them? The vehicles are balanced and nice I don’t have any other complaints

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cool place or not, sounds like they didn't do their job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Both I asked for the Mai thing is the steering wheel be dead on, but neither are. This is a cool place meaning they won’t hassle me if I come back, is this something I can come back and be like what these wheels aren’t right and they can center them? The vehicles are balanced and nice I don’t have any other complaints

It's not a cool place. It's a place that is missing one of the most basic parts of doing an alignment, which makes me wonder what else they missed that isn't as obvious.

They hosed up setting the toe. It needs to be re-done properly. And the need to check the rest of their work and make sure they torques ALL of the fasteners properly.

Fortunately toe is the last thing you set when aligning something as it doesn't throw off the other settings.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Picked up oil change supplies for both cars. Couldn't remember when the Matrix last got an oil change. I wrote the date and mileage on the Vic's oil filter, though the odometer doesn't light up anymore. FORScan can still pull the mileage though.

Turns out the Vic has done 8k since the last oil change.. 6 months ago. :stare: It was at the max line after the oil change. I, uh, think I've checked it once or twice since then. It's a little below halfway down the crosshatch area on the dipstick now, so I'd say it's done drat good as far as not using any oil.

Matrix? It's been over a year (July 2021), but only 4k (including a road trip). It's down to the add mark, but the timing cover is seeping, and the drain plug is leaking bad enough to leave a foot-wide mark on the ground every night. New crush washers came in for it today (got a bag of 10 OEM ones for about $1 more than what Advance wanted for a single Dorman...).

New OEM oil filters and 11 quarts of Mobil 1 high mileage are waiting. Gonna involve Blackstone this time and see how healthy the engines are; I'm pretty sure they'll find some water in the oil on the Matrix and not much else of concern; the Ferd will be the :ohdear: one.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I feel like this is a relevant video for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVc6oz-FszQ&t=167s

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Considered it, but :effort:, plus if I want to drive stick, I can drive the Matrix anytime I want. My knees can't handle a clutch on a daily driver anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

I feel like this is a relevant video for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVc6oz-FszQ&t=167s

I'm digging that ride height.

What year is that with all that poo poo in the door? Mine doesn't have that, so must be a '06+. Body control module?
Also, my driveshaft is aluminum. Did they change that in subsequent years?

edit: I don't think the brakes and stock suspension are "bad" on the '04+ cars, at least for street driving. The stock Goodyears are poop in the wet, but so has the other two brands I've used on mine. Probably a price point issue, or just lots of torque and 4000 pounds...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 13, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Driver door module. Started in 06 on the P71, other Panthers got it earlier. It handles keyless entry (both remote and keypad), power windows, also handles TPMS. Receiver sits by the rear window stock; if you're adding a receiver to add RKE to an 06+ P71, you just plop it into the door. It's essentially a BCM without lighting control (and we know how reliable Panther LCMs are...).

I don't know what the gently caress is going on in that one though - the DDM is definitely there, but where it should sit is what appears to be a bunch of relays (maybe the owner has added an alarm that also adds window up/down via keyfob? except those look like OEM relays and plugs...). This is what my 07 looks like inside the door, you'll notice my DDM is where that mess of relays is in the video:

All 93+ P71 Panthers got an aluminum driveshaft, except for some 00s and all 01s. I only skimmed the video, but I'm assuming they had to ditch that and get a custom driveshaft made, since the P71 had a longer tailhousing on the stock transmission. There was also a metal matrix driveshaft used for 1.5 years, but I believe it wound up being too expensive for Ford to keep using.

https://adtr.net/kb/crown-vic-driveshaft-swap/

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They may have used a lovely driveshaft for the manual conversion initially, I'm guessing.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Put a new seat bolster foam in, the old one had collapsed and was bothering me:

Some leather paint and it's as good as new.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Timing belt, accessory belts, and spark plugs on the EM1. It had only been 80k miles, but 14 years so it was definitely time to get it done.

Took most of the day, including a trip to Harbor Freight to get a more powerful impact gun since neither of my old ones were cutting it, and a partial disassembly because I realized I’d messed up the alignment on the crank so I had to re-time it before starting it back up.

Annoying but satisfying.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Motronic posted:

They hosed up setting the toe. It needs to be re-done properly. And the need to check the rest of their work and make sure they torques ALL of the fasteners properly.

Fortunately toe is the last thing you set when aligning something as it doesn't throw off the other settings.

I used this guide to set toe on my car, and later had an alignment shop confirm that it was with a couple thou of intended: https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspension/setting-toe-with-a-laser-level/

Measuring toe from 8 feet away makes it much easier.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

heffray posted:

I used this guide to set toe on my car, and later had an alignment shop confirm that it was with a couple thou of intended: https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspension/setting-toe-with-a-laser-level/

Measuring toe from 8 feet away makes it much easier.

That's hilarious and clever because that's very much how a proper alignment rack does it, including the painters tape substituting for the wheel baskets you put on. And yes, the measurement are taken from 8+ feet away.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Took most of the day, including a trip to Harbor Freight to get a more powerful impact gun since neither of my old ones were cutting it

Gotta love Honda crank pulley bolts, I swear they have Godzilla himself tighten those.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

6 ft breaker bar and hope it doesn’t snap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I use one of these and it comes right off with my 1/2" Milwaukee

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U/

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BigPaddy posted:

6 ft breaker bar and hope it doesn’t snap.

Hard to do on a jackstand. Big ugga dugga for the win. The HF Earthquake XT zipped that bitch off in like three seconds. I was due for a new impact gun anyway so the $300 including charger and battery really wasn’t too hard to swallow.

BlackMK4 posted:

I use one of these and it comes right off with my 1/2" Milwaukee

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U/

I just used a regular 19mm impact socket but my issue was my old 1/2” battery gun didn’t have enough torque. The HF one claims 1200 lb-ft breakaway, and it was noticeably more powerful than my Craftsman.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 17, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hard to do on a jackstand. Big ugga dugga for the win. The HF Earthquake XT zipped that bitch off in like three seconds. I was due for a new impact gun anyway so the $300 including charger and battery really wasn’t too hard to swallow.

I have one of these and it is good. Just not 60 year old bolt stuck in a car that was sat in the desert for 30 years good. Some of those needed a plasma torch to get them out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I have one of these and it is good. Just not 60 year old bolt stuck in a car that was sat in the desert for 30 years good. Some of those needed a plasma torch to get them out.

Can't be stuck if it's a liquid.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I removed this blue carpet from my turbo 4wd Hearse. But first laid down to see what it will be like on my last ride

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My CR-V needed new front brakes. I could have gotten new rotors and pads, cleaned the sticky slider pins, and put it back together. Too easy.

I got front front brake calipers and rotors for a ~2004 Acura TSX and put those on instead. There were some parts headaches with Amazon. I could have gotten all of this back together much faster if I hadn't insisted on the fancier rotors with painted hats.

Those new front brakes require 16" or larger wheels, at least in the front. My CR-V only has little 15" stock alloys. So I went and found a set of bigger wheels. From a Hyundai Azera. Still hubcentric thanks for 64.1mm to 67.1mm hub rings. The OD of the tires is exactly the same as the stock rubber. I'm not 100% on how I like the PLUS FOUR looks, but it rides OK and the brakes clear. The wheels have center caps, but I need to paint the Hyundai 'H' off of them.

Look close and you can see the powdercoated calipers up front. I could have gotten black instead but that was another $50 or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That seems unnecessarily complicated. Why do this?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Because AI? If it’s possible to put bigger brakes on then it gnaws at your brain to do it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I removed this blue carpet from my turbo 4wd Hearse. But first laid down to see what it will be like on my last ride

That is *very* blue.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

To confuse the next owner, of course!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Suburban Dad posted:

Oh poo poo, did I accidentally post in the "Automotive Rational Thoughts and Actions" forum?

To be serious, I knew I could put bigger brakes on it. I wanted to put bigger brakes on it. When a part wears out, its a good time to replace it with something more stout.

And it will confuse the next owner. That's fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

To confuse the next owner, of course!

This is what I immediately thought of.

You do you pbcrunch.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Replaced my crusty old nuts with shiny blue ones!

I think they compliment the decals and center cap on those wheels pretty well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat that's gonna make it look so fast!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mobby_6kl posted:

drat that's gonna make it look so fast!

if they were red i would agree, but im not sure what blue does for your HP output

e: blue is mana, so... extra nitrous? yeah thats still more fast. carry on

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
After like 7 years this pos has fender liner hardware. Need to get an elongated clip for one spot and fender washers for the leading edge.

Volume three of this mid 30 year old with a bad back realizing it can't do what it used to do.

NoDak weld guy didn't fill the hole in or run a solid bead. it cracked finally.

Drilled the crack to relieve stress. It mostly worked.

Cue puddles with a waterlogged HF welder and a inverter stick welder powered by the camper itself. I am so loving tired of dropping this goddamned tank.

(the HF welder had a duty cycle of about an inch before it was too hot to penetrate any further)

Cut a deep V into the crack, filled it in.

partially done reinforcement.

almost 200mi later still good.

The preventative to something ever failing is carrying everything to deal with its failure.

I ran the front tank down and the float sank in 2020. Sucked a ton of air on the highway, fuuuuck. Last time I got it slaloming back roads before too much air got into the system, and it bled it out just fine. Batteries were too weak after almost 7 years of being in use for the autobleed system to work quickly. Killed the batteries down to 9ish Volts in a parkinglot trying to pass the air bubble through the pump. Managed to light it off just before the batteries were totally sapped. I knew this day was coming for almost a year. And I'm going to be in 0C in just a few weeks. Interstate is closed on Sundays so new group 34 Motorcrafts it is. The CAT batteries were always weedy as gently caress when it's approaching 0C. I take no chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

if they were red i would agree, but im not sure what blue does for your HP output

e: blue is mana, so... extra nitrous? yeah thats still more fast. carry on

It doeat affect the HP directly but means the OP is catching up to the car in front very quickly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift