Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vampire Survivors is, without a doubt, the best fun:money ratio I've ever spent on a video game, including all free games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Best money I've ever spent on Steam.

Besides the Steam deck that is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

^^^ Obviously.

I had to edit my post to more accurately convey my feelings about 2022's GOTY.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Anyone played cyberpunk on their deck yet? How was it? I've already played it a ton on PS5 so I'm hoping I can install mods too. I won't get 60 fps like the PS5 but with some modding and tweaks who knows?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but I just meant, like a no hassle way to access it right through the steam OS menu where you could, DL, play games etc. I meant it seems like Valve would be unlikely to want that on there, especially accessed directly through steam.

Speaking of, I guess there is really no such thing as an "app" (I mean games are obviously apps but you know what I mean, streaming, lifestyle stuff etc)for Steam OS at least at this point in time anyways.

Gamepass is a scheme to make you to use Microsoft store. Valve got on early and basically cornered the PC game platform market. MS, Epic are now throwing money in a pit to catch up.

So not in the near future.

There's plenty of apps https://store.steampowered.com/software/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tenkaris posted:

Anyone played cyberpunk on their deck yet? How was it? I've already played it a ton on PS5 so I'm hoping I can install mods too. I won't get 60 fps like the PS5 but with some modding and tweaks who knows?

I have. It works surprisingly well, comes with a deck preset for graphics that kept it humming along at a steady 30. I didn't gently caress with mods or anything and I didn't play it all that long, can't do FPSes with a controller. Was just curious how it ran.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Quantum of Phallus posted:

literally everyone lol

:thejoke:

I've been bouncing between a few games on my backlog and I think I'm going to stick with Prey. I've seen some weird issues with models and animations not being loaded but it was after i left the game paused for seven hours.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright I'll try Vampire Survivors

I meant like, netflix, store fronts etc. Stuff you'd have on other mobile devices.

It's probably good there isn't a bunch of scam trash on there though it's worth not having that poo poo. I can just do that in desktop if I want.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of, I guess there is really no such thing as an "app" (I mean games are obviously apps but you know what I mean, streaming, lifestyle stuff etc)for Steam OS at least at this point in time anyways.
There's everything in Discover you can add as a non-Steam "game" if you really want to use them in game mode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does RDR2 run now without having to use an older version of proton?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was gifting my friends copies of Vampire Survivors with this Star Trek clip in the gift message.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i need a deck to sniff

the end of the month can't come soon enough

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Allright I'll try Vampire Survivors

You're making a really bad decision right now if you enjoy having any free time.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I bought vampire survivors just now to play on the deck but I haven't started yet, now I'm scared.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Goons Are Great posted:

I bought vampire survivors just now to play on the deck but I haven't started yet, now I'm scared.

Do it!!! Play the game! Or are you... chicken?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Do it!!! Play the game! Or are you... chicken?

No, he's a vampire survivor, weren't you listening?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright vampire survivors seems kind of stupid but it is pretty fun

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can anyone recommend a dock that has HDMI out, will charge the deck AND charge something else? I thought mine did but apparently the second USB is meant for a keyboard or something. I need to be able to charge peripherals, at least one but two ports would be great

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Vampire Survivors is, without a doubt, the best fun:money ratio I've ever spent on a video game, including all free games ever.

Just pirate games if you worry about fun:money ratio, because you have more important things to worry about.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Messed about with mine a little more last night and thankfully it was just my deck not reading the SD card and everything was still on it, moved over a heap of stuff via thumbdrive, which was mostly painless.. I had to leave a few random ps2 isos behind. And then spent the rest of the night playing Vagrant Story in bed. Spending 500 quid to play an emulator in bed :allears:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Spending 500 quid to play an emulator in bed :allears:

I was playing Pokémon red on mine last night lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

I was playing Pokémon red on mine last night lol

Well the screen is backlit now

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I have. It works surprisingly well, comes with a deck preset for graphics that kept it humming along at a steady 30. I didn't gently caress with mods or anything and I didn't play it all that long, can't do FPSes with a controller. Was just curious how it ran.

you can easily install the fsr 2.0 mod for it that really boosts the iq and performance

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Opopanax posted:

Can anyone recommend a dock that has HDMI out, will charge the deck AND charge something else? I thought mine did but apparently the second USB is meant for a keyboard or something. I need to be able to charge peripherals, at least one but two ports would be great

I've been using this and it will at the very least charge low-power devices along with the deck: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08SLS9W72

It also claims 4k60 support, but I don't actually have a 4k screen to test with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How big of a MicroSD card am I gonna need to install Windows and Destiny 2? I just realised my 128gb card won’t be big enough lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was gifting my friends copies of Vampire Survivors with this Star Trek clip in the gift message.

That video description, lol

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Helter Skelter posted:

I've been using this and it will at the very least charge low-power devices along with the deck: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08SLS9W72

It also claims 4k60 support, but I don't actually have a 4k screen to test with.

I just received the one port version of this listed in the OP and it’s the best little dock I’ve ever used after trying a bunch with laptops over the past few years!

I’m also using it with my work computer and it pushes 1440p @120hz so it must be good for 4k.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Does steam deck support the steam controller using the uhh.. steam frequency that you need to use a dongle for on a regular computer, or do you need to put the controller into Bluetooth mode?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Danith posted:

Does steam deck support the steam controller using the uhh.. steam frequency that you need to use a dongle for on a regular computer, or do you need to put the controller into Bluetooth mode?

You have to connect it with bluetooth - I think I had to firmware upgrade mine to get that support in place, though I also had to brush a lot of dust off it so it might not be a particularly new firmware.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I tried BallisticNG on the Deck last night and it runs buttery smooth. I don't know how they got away with making such a faithful Wipeout clone without getting sued, but I'm glad they did!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Helter Skelter posted:

If I'm reading that right it's the same issue, only the attached usb-c one outputs power. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist since the deck has such a high draw, I should probably just get a second splitter just for charging stuff

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m having fun with Alice Madness Returns. Runs and looks great on the deck once you turn physx to low in the menu. You can even do the 60 fps tweak and, so far at least, it has stayed locked at that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How big of a MicroSD card am I gonna need to install Windows and Destiny 2? I just realised my 128gb card won’t be big enough lol

If you are just doing those 2 I think a 256 should be ok but D2 I think is like 100 gigs these days. I bought a 512 just to be sure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

If you are just doing those 2 I think a 256 should be ok but D2 I think is like 100 gigs these days. I bought a 512 just to be sure.

Nice one, thanks MarcusSA!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

100 won’t cover Windows 10 + Destiny 2 but 256 will be plenty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also for what it’s worth I just did a windows install on to an SD card and the whole process took about an hour start to finish using the guide.

It’s incredibly easy.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Paid for the deck a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Anti-Bunny posted:

Paid for the deck a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.

Don't, it takes a while sometimes. If in real doubt, message support.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Opopanax posted:

If I'm reading that right it's the same issue, only the attached usb-c one outputs power. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist since the deck has such a high draw, I should probably just get a second splitter just for charging stuff
I haven't measured how much they're putting out, but I think most docks don't have high power USB ports to keep their overhead low. Most of the docks I've seen reserve 10 or 15W over the top which isn't enough for high power USB on top of the dock circuitry and HDMI and whatever other poo poo's on there. Probably better off looking for hubs that are specifically for laptops especially Macbooks, think you'll have better luck there, but you'll also need to get a higher wattage adapter. Most important thing is to look at the power draw of the hub though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

512s are pretty cheap. That's what I have in mine and with the 256 ssd it feels like plenty of space. 1tb and up is where they start to get pricey. I think my 512 was like $50.

I would probably want a bigger one if I was loading the deck up with stuff like Destiny, COD, Halo MCC etc.