Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Click clock is fantastic thematically and a great capstone for how it feels, it's just.... painful to 100%. I think what would have done a ton to alleviate its issues would have been to give each season a total screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't even imagine gaining infinite flight and not instantly yeeting myself into the stratosphere

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hwurmp posted:

I can't even imagine gaining infinite flight and not instantly yeeting myself into the stratosphere

This, totally this, This is why they put the Jiggy there because for many people the thought would be. "How high can I go?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's been a long time since I've done it, but I think that if you don't bust Gnawty's Boulder in summer he's just frozen under the ice in winter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Click clock is fantastic thematically and a great capstone for how it feels, it's just.... painful to 100%. I think what would have done a ton to alleviate its issues would have been to give each season a total screen

I dunno. Like I've said before, each season of CCW is actually pretty small. You have the loop around the base of the tree in its four quadrants: the starting meadow, the pond, the field, and Mumbo. Then you have the trip up the tree with the beehive, tree house, Nabnutz, Eyrie, and the top room.

Once you learn how everything is laid out it's pretty quick to make a circuit of a season and nothing's really that out of the way beyond that spring jiggy at the top which is based on obvious exploration bait (I'm kind of surprised there was nothing comparable in winter, though).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cythereal posted:

(I'm kind of surprised there was nothing comparable in winter, though).

It makes sense thematically, there's not much to do in the woods during Winter, so I did like that it was just a short wrap up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Breaking the window where hibernating Nabnuts and his girl reside...
Not just a singular, but a double homicide.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You about to choose some other season than summer for the drought nearly caused me to have conniptions, thank you very much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can confirm, for anyone but Grunty for the character voice she goes 'who has this dumb voice?'

The joker squares give you two free passes to skip a square. I usually go left immediately at the start to pick up the joker so I can skip the two instant death squares near the end.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 6, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This is one of the two non-RBB insta-killsI I mentioned in the game. The other is (obviously) yet to come.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cythereal posted:

Can confirm, for anyone but Grunty for the character voice she goes 'who has this dumb voice?'

Yeah, I remember seeing the 'cool voice' variant the first time at some speedrun and it was very funny as I had only seen the 'dumb voice' line for many years.

This entire quiz rules honestly, I love it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That bit early on where there was cheering for Argate getting questions wrong and failing challenges made me want a hype guys meme of Grunty, Artix, Silver, and... probably an agglomeration of Us, Something Awful Forums Posters.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing the 'cool voice' variant the first time at some speedrun and it was very funny as I had only seen the 'dumb voice' line for many years.

This entire quiz rules honestly, I love it.

I think my favorite part of the Banjo-Kazooie speedrun is how they deal with the quiz, namely an exploit that uses a bad instant-death knockback to put Banjo on the board with all the mechanics turned off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Some of those visual ones can be mean. There's at least one that's just a picture of the floor and you either know it or you don't.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 6, 2022

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The quiz is won, the game is beat.
Drink a cold one and rest your feet.

The witch got away,
you have yet more to play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That was...a little more brutal than I remember. I do remember the photos being particularly nasty though, your best bet is to match the color scheme to the level though that doesn't always work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cythereal posted:

Yep. Also for 'here's a character from the game', too.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

With his concern of fireballs posing a danger, to video gamey bullshit Argate is no stranger.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:toot: Not a bad performance on the gameboard at all, Argate.

Judge Tesla posted:

It makes sense thematically, there's not much to do in the woods during Winter, so I did like that it was just a short wrap up.
I want you to know that your phrasing there counts as a psychic attack.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Hilariously when I played the game, I avoided the joker squares entirely. Young dumb me saw Banjo in a jester hat and thought “a square that shows Banjo as a fool? It must be bad for him, I better avoid it!” I also thought that they might be “warp squares,” letting you jump to another Jester Banjo square, but I had my chosen path and never went there as it seemed “longer” to try the warp. I never knew what they did until later people played it. This is also as far as I ever got, I never got past the next roadblock due to not enough notes.

Interestingly, in a way when you replay the game the Grunty and Instant Death squares can actually be HARDER than a first time through. Because the Grunty questions answers are randomized each game, it could be all too easy to remember the “right” answer from a PREVIOUS run, catching you off guard.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like to think that Grunty has convinced herself that she's been in a rap battle the entire game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Huh, why did that sequence showing you the Stop 'n Swop stuff not trigger?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Yeaaaaah, in an objective sense Grunty's fight is overly long and her tracking is MEAN, but with that said, I still love the fight for no other reason than the fact that in my first playthrough where my brother and I passed the controller, after so many times where she annihilated us, I finished it up right before we went to church on Sunday, and I felt rad as hell for being the one to beat it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So that's where Banjo's Final Smash comes from.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Huh, why did that sequence showing you the Stop 'n Swop stuff not trigger?

I maaaay have rearranged the ending sequence a bit to give a little more meat to the stop and swap video. :v:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The final battle is bad, as you've found.
But in the end you put the witch in the ground!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can you use Wonder Wing to guard against those fireballs?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You can, but even with 20 feathers you'll run out waaay before the fight ends using them like that

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
True, but if you find a great position for any hole of that final Jinjo and don't want to move away, it could be useful then.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Man, I had forgotten how brutal that last fight was.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The last fight is brutal but kid me felt it was, as stupid and overused as the word is nowadays, properly epic for last fight. That last phase was incredibly rude though; making players have to sit right at the edge of the firing line to shoot the opening in front of Grunty pissed me off even as a kid.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I love that the fight against Grunty is so brutal, you spend the entire game probably thinking she's just a silly old witch, and when you reach her you realize that she could have blown Banjo up at any moment because she really is that powerful.

Bowser and Ganondorf in OoT look like chumps by comparison.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, it sounds good on paper. Use all the abilities you've learned throughout the game to peel away the boss' defences and team up with those you've saved to take them down. Thematic, certainly.

But n64 game has to generally suffer n64 controls, and not necessarily related to the controller itself. As far as balancing goes, well that was kind of just a fancy word back then. Just so happened someone rolled their sleeping face on the difficulty button right then.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Judge Tesla posted:

I love that the fight against Grunty is so brutal, you spend the entire game probably thinking she's just a silly old witch, and when you reach her you realize that she could have blown Banjo up at any moment because she really is that powerful.

Bowser and Ganondorf in OoT look like chumps by comparison.

Well, she did take over Hyrule in the banjo oot hack.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Drakenel posted:

I mean, it sounds good on paper. Use all the abilities you've learned throughout the game to peel away the boss' defences and team up with those you've saved to take them down. Thematic, certainly.

But n64 game has to generally suffer n64 controls, and not necessarily related to the controller itself. As far as balancing goes, well that was kind of just a fancy word back then. Just so happened someone rolled their sleeping face on the difficulty button right then.

I mean, if it didn't have the fifth phase, or she wasn't pressing the attack as ruthlessly during that phase, it'd be fine.

It'd also be nice to prevent Banjo from being knocked out of flying mode by hitting the parapet in the third phase.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That final fight is brutal. (Yooka-Laylee comment) While Yooka-Laylee is an extremely faithful Banjo-Kazooie successor, I really could have done without its final boss also being six billion phases too long and punishing.

Now, Tooie's final boss... That one, I quite enjoy. I hope Argate does get to see that game at some point, to see what changes between these two titles.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I love that the only thing a fan mod did to make this fight unbelievably difficult was to make the floor uneven.

Anyway Argate does eventually figure out the strat for the final stage which is that there's a delay after the heatseeker. That and it's a fair bit easier if you focus on one side to start with.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 10, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Flash poll: is this the only boss fight in the game? It kinda always felt that way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nipper, conga, the giant ice cube in freezeasy, and boss boom box feel very sad you forgot them.

E: although the ice cube is just guarding the jiggy for the sir slush's so you can just ignore it if you want