Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've been spoiled this summer with the Sierra Nevada.

believe me, nothing will ever be the same as the northwoods there, the porkies are beautiful and the great lakes coasts are my favorite place in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Papes posted:

I will look into this. Do you hang it?

Maninstee river trail

Hey, turns out a buddy and I will be heading up there for camping this october, how was your trip?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The permit I've been waiting for (Sisters Green Lake) is this weekend and there's a fire 20-25 miles away with NF closures extending to about 1-2 miles from my trailhead :/

At least the smoke and fire are probably going to be blowing away from us, plus our camp will be at the treeline with some treeless escape routes away from the fire in case the fire manages to spread 20 miles upwind. Still... watching it closely and trying to figure out whether to bail and it's a tough call.

We at least have a backup plan in case we get there and find out they just closed it, or the smoke sucks real bad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Recommend not going if you will be that close to a closed area. poo poo can change fast.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

+1 to the rec to not go. Even if it seems like you'll be in the clear, conditions can change too quickly. I know it sucks to call it off, but the worse case scenario could kill you. And given how our fire seasons have gone the last few years, I personally wouldn't chance it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looking for a weekend hike to take a buddy in North GA later this month. Looking for maybe 25ish miles over 2 days, some real elevation would be a plus. I've biked TNGA and know there's a ton of good stuff, but haven't done much hiking there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

alnilam posted:

The permit I've been waiting for (Sisters Green Lake) is this weekend and there's a fire 20-25 miles away with NF closures extending to about 1-2 miles from my trailhead :/

At least the smoke and fire are probably going to be blowing away from us, plus our camp will be at the treeline with some treeless escape routes away from the fire in case the fire manages to spread 20 miles upwind. Still... watching it closely and trying to figure out whether to bail and it's a tough call.

We at least have a backup plan in case we get there and find out they just closed it, or the smoke sucks real bad

I know someone who does wildfire response stuff, I will ask their thoughts on this.

Edit: General thoughts are that yeah, it's probably best to go with plan B. Apparently all the active fires are "blowing up right now" because of the wind, and the smoke is getting pretty bad in some spots even if they're not technically in the path of the fire.

armorer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 9, 2022

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Yeah Green Lakes is beautiful but definitely skip with all the fires and smoke. It just isn't fun hiking and having that fire in the back of your mind.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

wildfire guy posted:

If I was that guy it's a no brainer, cancel it. You have closures and a fire on the landscape with a very significant east wind event. Stay out of those woods.

Sounds like they had the right instincts. Tell them September east winds is always the worst time for the nw. Bad time to be out near fires.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

alnilam posted:

:ohdearsass:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Looking for a weekend hike to take a buddy in North GA later this month. Looking for maybe 25ish miles over 2 days, some real elevation would be a plus. I've biked TNGA and know there's a ton of good stuff, but haven't done much hiking there.

You can make a pretty substantial loop out of East Cowpen and Rough Ridge trails in the Cohutta Wilderness. They're only 15 miles on their own and entirely along a ridge, but there are detours down to Panther Creek Falls and Jack's River Falls. The Cohuttas are my favorite part of N GA, but some of that is probably nostalgia.

For other ideas I'd look at the Pinhoti, Benton McKaye, Bartram, and AT. Most of the big trail networks branch off of them. IMO stay far away from Helen because that's where most of the crowds are coming from.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks I appreciate this! Luckily plan B is camping/climbing at Smith :toot:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

alnilam posted:

Thank you for deciding on a plan B.

Really though, for anyone trying to get out in the PNW this weekend, please be super aware of the Red Flag warnings, extreme fire danger, active fires and the potential for new ones, the fact many communities/parks are having power outages for safety and smoke is moving in everywhere. I'm based on the PNW coast and work for a land management agency and my whole day has been shutting facilities, send info for customer contacts about limited facilities and making contingencies for way worse conditions. I've also been smoked in for several hours and it looks like a level of hell outside.

Also, some facilities are being used as fire camps and evacuee sites. The public is getting kicked out with little notice in some of these circumstances.

Please, just stay home this weekend PNW folks. We'd appreciate it. Our parks will be here next week, and if they aren't, well be happy you weren't there.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Pinus Porcus posted:

Thank you for deciding on a plan B.

Really though, for anyone trying to get out in the PNW this weekend, please be super aware of the Red Flag warnings, extreme fire danger, active fires and the potential for new ones, the fact many communities/parks are having power outages for safety and smoke is moving in everywhere. I'm based on the PNW coast and work for a land management agency and my whole day has been shutting facilities, send info for customer contacts about limited facilities and making contingencies for way worse conditions. I've also been smoked in for several hours and it looks like a level of hell outside.

Also, some facilities are being used as fire camps and evacuee sites. The public is getting kicked out with little notice in some of these circumstances.

Please, just stay home this weekend PNW folks. We'd appreciate it. Our parks will be here next week, and if they aren't, well be happy you weren't there.

I picked a great time to visit the PNW I guess :ohdear: How’s Mt Rainier looking overall? Noticed the AQI went up last night and now a fire ban… I’m supposed to leave on a trip there this week, think anything might improve after the weekend?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

liz posted:

I picked a great time to visit the PNW I guess :ohdear: How’s Mt Rainier looking overall? Noticed the AQI went up last night and now a fire ban… I’m supposed to leave on a trip there this week, think anything might improve after the weekend?

The Goat Rocks fire picked up due to these winds, went from 90 acres to 850 acres. US 12 is closed now past Packwood too. It looks pretty ugly outside here in Beaverton from all the fires.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

liz posted:

The red flag warning, at least for Oregon, is done after the weekend. After that, it depends how many fires broke out or spread over the weekend. If no crazy new fires or fire spread, AQI in most places should drop again as we get west winds again.

I would still expect a fire ban for a little while though. Even if the fire danger drops, if fire resources are scarce, they will maintain bans to reduce the risk of something new breaking out.

Edit: Rainer NP is looking a bit grim. One road is closed due to visibility and preparation for possible evacuations. If the Packwood fire doesn't do anything nuts, you will probably be ok next week, but much like a fire ban, they may keep that closure in effect for awhile to be safe, so when making plans, I'd avoid planning anything on that side.

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 10, 2022

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Hey, turns out a buddy and I will be heading up there for camping this october, how was your trip?

A bit hot but that won’t be an issue in October, other than that it was fantastic!

Just note if you plan to loop back on the north country trail there is isn’t much water available, but all of that is pretty obvious if you check the maps.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Papes posted:

A bit hot but that won’t be an issue in October, other than that it was fantastic!

Just note if you plan to loop back on the north country trail there is isn’t much water available, but all of that is pretty obvious if you check the maps.

Cool, we are planning on going counter clockwise and camping on the ridge the first night, aiming for the red bridge overlook, and yeah looked like we will be hauling our water with us but thats not a problem, any standout campsites to look for on the east side along the river?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

liz posted:

It's tough because this is the peak time of year for weather/snow melting etc etc but also fire season. We were very fortunate it just started due to our late snow this year.

My buddy has core enchantment permits for Monday through Friday that I'm supposed to be going on. We're checking the weather and preparing to cancel. I'm curious to see trip reports from today and tomorrow.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Verman posted:

It's tough because this is the peak time of year for weather/snow melting etc etc but also fire season. We were very fortunate it just started due to our late snow this year.

My buddy has core enchantment permits for Monday through Friday that I'm supposed to be going on. We're checking the weather and preparing to cancel. I'm curious to see trip reports from today and tomorrow.

Well I’m in Seattle now and things do not look promising :smith:

It smells like a campfire outside and I couldn’t see a drat thing when landing… Really really hoping this changes in the next 24-48 hrs cause my PTO is already spoken for!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Things should be better by Monday. Unfortunate timing, this is the first it’s been smoky all year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

Well I’m in Seattle now and things do not look promising :smith:

It smells like a campfire outside and I couldn’t see a drat thing when landing… Really really hoping this changes in the next 24-48 hrs cause my PTO is already spoken for!

What was your trip? Area, total mileage, mileage per day etc. I/we might be able to help create an alternate itinerary for you to make some use of your time.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Crossposting from the Seattle LAN thread: apparently two hikers got closed in by fire in the Washington cascades yesterday and managed to bushwhack their way out after SAR couldn’t make it. Definitely a good lesson on knowing conditions before you set out and the importance of backcountry/routefinding skills, as well as an illustration of quickly things can turn bad with forest fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNgosDVps8

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Currently putzing around Hawaii and Haleakala was absolutely amazing. Just otherworldly. There was a point when I was halfway down the crater staring at these 2000ft walls and there wasn’t a single bit of noise. No wind, no bugs, no crunching footsteps of anyone just complete silence. It’s wild being completely dwarfed and face to face with nothing but the effects of time and the schedule of geology.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey all, I'm considering at least looking into backpacking. Is there any good resources for finding trails or backpacking trips to try? I'm in eastern Nebraska and it seems places to actually hike are pretty slim unless I drive out towards the western side of the state. Preferably free or cheap!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

Crossposting from the Seattle LAN thread: apparently two hikers got closed in by fire in the Washington cascades yesterday and managed to bushwhack their way out after SAR couldn’t make it. Definitely a good lesson on knowing conditions before you set out and the importance of backcountry/routefinding skills, as well as an illustration of quickly things can turn bad with forest fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNgosDVps8

Man, that's like ... right at the center of the big fire going on right now. That entire highway is closed at the moment.

My buddy got core zone enchantment permits for this week and we had to call it off today. It might be fine but all it takes is a change in wind direction and we'll be smoked out. We're going to the Olympic peninsula tomorrow instead. It really sucks but oh well, what can you do.

I'm a bit excited as I'll be trying out my new pack, tent, sleeping pad, and shoes on their first backpacking trip. The pack is about the same weight as my old one but so much nicer (osprey Atmos 65). Tent is a Nemo hornet 1 vs my old REI passage 2. Sleeping pad is a big agnes rapide vs my big agnes insulated q core. Just in the tent and pad, I lost about 3-4 lbs.

I'm slightly nervous since this is my first trip since herniating my L5S1 disc last year. My last backpacking trip was goat rocks in 2020 and I'm pretty sure it's impossible that is been that long.

Prepping the food got me this time. Too much indecision. I didn't feel like I have enough but I also think I have way too much. Oh well.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hey all, I'm considering at least looking into backpacking. Is there any good resources for finding trails or backpacking trips to try? I'm in eastern Nebraska and it seems places to actually hike are pretty slim unless I drive out towards the western side of the state. Preferably free or cheap!

Alltrails is a good app/site to use for hiking and or backpacking. Some regions might have apps or websites specific to that region (ie wta.org for Washington State). The first page of this thread has lots of good info. There's also the gear thread for any gear related question you might have.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829&pagenumber=140&perpage=40

There are books, usually regional, for hiking and backpacking. It might be tough in Nebraska but the surrounding states might have more to offer.

Verman fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 12, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

My buddy got core zone enchantment permits for this week and we had to call it off today. It might be fine but all it takes is a change in wind direction and we'll be smoked out. We're going to the Olympic peninsula tomorrow instead. It really sucks but oh well, what can you do.

Sucks to miss out on the enchantments, but Olympic is pretty epic too. Plenty to do around there but if you're looking for ideas take a look at hiking from second beach along the Scott's bluff trail. Epic sunsets and sea stacks, worth considering at least.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to at home/at a gym gauge what kind of elevation gain I'm prepared for? I'd like to start doing some mountain trails that are 2000+ ft elevation gain and I have no way to tell if I'm ready for that kind of thing. There's a few decent hiking trails near me that are 500-800ft elevation gain that I've managed to do, but the White Mountains are about 3hr drive from me one way and I'd hate to go all the way out and realize a mile in that I'm way out of my league.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Do the 800ft trail 3 times back to back.

I'm a 5 hour drive from the whites and I did exactly this, when I got there last week my body had no trouble keeping up.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Go on alltrails and zoom around the area where you live, then filter by longer trails based on how many miles you think you can do per day (probably as a starter, 5mi per day is reasonable). Then check if there's camping allowed and go for it!

But yeah there doesn't look to be a ton of options for you out there. The nice thing is that if you go backpacking it's a little easier to justify a longer drive out to nicer places, that's the main reason I've gotten into it since doing day hikes far away sucks rear end.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I have yet another trip to Dolly Sods Wilderness at the end of the month. We have been here several times, looking to do the full loop this time around. We should be doing 4 days this time around instead of our usual 3, I would love to get a night in on top near Lions Head but I think that will screw up timing to camp there.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

alltrails.com is absolutely awesome.

for backpacking gear and other advice, cleverhiker.com is my starting point. I have rarely been led astray by the recommendations there. they also have some route breakdowns for popular hikes, and the logic and advice they use serves you well elsewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Bessey unit of Nebraska NF is relatively hilly and quite pretty. Most of the established trails are OHV oriented but it's a national forest, you can hike anywhere you want to go.

Still a bit of a haul from the eastern part of the state but 4 hours isn't the worst drive ever to get to a trailhead.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have yet another trip to Dolly Sods Wilderness at the end of the month. We have been here several times, looking to do the full loop this time around. We should be doing 4 days this time around instead of our usual 3, I would love to get a night in on top near Lions Head but I think that will screw up timing to camp there.

Nice, Dolly Sods is probably my favorite naturey place in that region

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

alnilam posted:

Nice, Dolly Sods is probably my favorite naturey place in that region

Have you done the Roaring Plains loop just south of DS? It is quite magical as well.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

AllTrails is a great place to start. The app is solid, too. Though I recommend seeing if you can find the same trail from AT on that state's parks/forest service website. I like to compare the AllTrail trail tags against another source as I have been burned a couple of times by trail descriptions. For Nebraska, you'd probably want to check out http://outdoornebraska.gov/hikingtrails/.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Have you done the Roaring Plains loop just south of DS? It is quite magical as well.

I have not! I moved away a few years ago and spend most of my time exploring the PNW now. Maybe some day I'll get back to that area. Enjoy the Dolly Sods though! and watch out for unexploded ordinance

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beezus posted:

AllTrails is a great place to start. The app is solid, too. Though I recommend seeing if you can find the same trail from AT on that state's parks/forest service website. I like to compare the AllTrail trail tags against another source as I have been burned a couple of times by trail descriptions. For Nebraska, you'd probably want to check out http://outdoornebraska.gov/hikingtrails/.

A tool I always use when planning hikes is OpenStreetMap. The Cycle Map layer feels like looking at a physical fold-out map.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
OpenCycleMap and TF Outdoors are both decent hiking/biking-friendly reskins of OpenStreetMap data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also don't discount the value of a good hiking book. A good one will be down-selected to especially good hikes and can be a bit less overwhelming than an entire internet full of hikes. Check one out at your local library :thumbsup: