Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Someone's gonna get an evap failure in 6-24 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gas pumps will happily spew gas out forever as far as I know. There should be a big red shutdown button somewhere to slap in the event of a problem, but that's often hidden who knows where, and also requires some functional knowledge of how gas stations work, which is missing here.

You can also squeeze the handle to disengage the lock, or not engage it in the first place if you know practically nothing about how to pump gas.

Then again, I usually look around for the emergency stop while I'm waiting for my tank to fill up. My local Sam's Club doesn't have windshield squeegees so what else am I supposed to do, listen to two women nearly come to blows screaming at each other for the second time in a week?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

You can also squeeze the handle to disengage the lock, or not engage it in the first place if you know practically nothing about how to pump gas.

Then again, I usually look around for the emergency stop while I'm waiting for my tank to fill up. My local Sam's Club doesn't have windshield squeegees so what else am I supposed to do, listen to two women nearly come to blows screaming at each other for the second time in a week?

I usually spend my time looking for trump stickers to peel off. I'm sure they'll ramp up again soon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I usually spend my time looking for trump stickers to peel off. I'm sure they'll ramp up again soon.

There's "I did this" stickers with Putin on them which seems like a decent troll.

When I'm pumping gas I find a squeegee on the island and clean my windows properly, station owners are so lazy and cheap they've been letting the buckets dry out recently though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am puzzled by how this could happen.

To get a fuel pump to lock open, you have to actually engage a tab while pulling the handle. If you know enough to do this, then you know enough to disengage it. She does not appear to be in a pants-making GBS threads panic either, which is a reasonable state to be in and fail to employ the most basic common-sense solutions.

I don't know. People tend to be extremely stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They pulled the nozzle out while the gas was still pumping and just I guess threw it on the ground?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I vaguely recall the locking fuel pumps when I first started driving in Massachusetts, they were taken away shortly after which was probably a good idea but god drat filling up both tanks in my highschool truck in a snow storm and having to hold the handle was brutal. Down here in Texas, alot of pumps lock automatically when you squeeze them. It makes it really annoying when you're trying to hit a specific number and you just want to hit a few more cents and it locks and keeps running. Pumps down here also have a tendency to release a spurt of gas when you select your fuel grade, even without the trigger depressed.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I’ve had them just lock on me before because the spring was broken, but it’s still the easiest thing in the world to deal with. When I’m filling up I don’t take my hand off the nozzle anyway, I don’t know how you gently caress up this bad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
get ready for anxiety
https://v.redd.it/q1qwj9uwvtm91/DASH_480.mp4

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm guessing based on the distance between the car and the pump that she started pumping gas, sat in the car, forgot what was going on and drove away while still pumping gas and thankfully the nozzle pulled out instead of ripping the hose breakaway apart. "Thankfully" being relative because if the breakaway works it would have led to less gasoline on the ground.

Ironhead posted:

I vaguely recall the locking fuel pumps when I first started driving in Massachusetts, they were taken away shortly after which was probably a good idea but god drat filling up both tanks in my highschool truck in a snow storm and having to hold the handle was brutal. Down here in Texas, alot of pumps lock automatically when you squeeze them. It makes it really annoying when you're trying to hit a specific number and you just want to hit a few more cents and it locks and keeps running. Pumps down here also have a tendency to release a spurt of gas when you select your fuel grade, even without the trigger depressed.

This sounds like a cartoon about Texas. Some oil tycoon making a law you have to count 5 Mississippis while pumping gas into a storm drain before you can put the nozzle in your car.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I still think this rivers rep is mostly made up. It's deadly no doubt, but when pressed for figures of how many people have drowned, it's like... a dozen in the last hundred years. Which is about how many drown in any other river on the planet in the last hundred years. And all the tests about measuring it's depth or current or undercut have been half-assed efforts with no scientific rigor. Like "we threw a dummy in, and it didn't come out, so clearly it was dragged hundreds of feet underwater and crushed to bits, the only explanation". Or that youtuber that wanted to test the depth with his sonar rig that said it was 200ft deep was shown that sonar can't be used in such cramped confines or turbulent conditions to give accurate results.

Still wouldn't recommend anyone go swimming, but reality seems more like it's a unique river that's about as deadly as any other river is if you gently caress around with it.

Do people in Britain not have access to long sticks?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

For real. I already knew I wasn't the strongest swimmer when I started doing river work, and learned pretty quickly just how little moving water it takes to put you put of control. I did a swiftwater rescue course a couple years ago and the very first field exercise we did was swimming across a pretty chill riffle in the Colorado River in Moab in March. By the time everyone made it across, in dry suits with pfds, there was a crowd of us laying on rocks heaving, gasping, some puking. I'm a decent swimmer now but if the water is deeper than a couple meters, carrying any real velocity, or both, I feel naked without a pfd.

Don't gently caress with water, it'll kill you so fast.

Last year I found out from my dad that he fell into a drowning machine as a young man and only through sheer dumb luck it spat him out before he drowned. It's a weird feeling to find out you came so close to never existing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I may be in the minority here but I really think pumps shouldn't have the locking trigger so you can just walk away or get in your car while it's pumping, unattended. People are stupid and/or get easily distracted to trust 'em not to have a lapse in attention. I'm guilty of being stupid/lazy myself but I never stray too far when pumping gas.

Diesel pumps would be the exception to this just because of how big the fuel tanks they need to fill usually are.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 10, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Is it bad that I watched this and thought, "Huh, wonder if they're hiring?"

In swimming schad, I've generally been a chubby goon most of my life, but I got sick one year and couldn't digest food. Dropped to some absurdly low body fat level, and not in a cool, sexy way. I went swimming at a hotel after I'd recovered but before I put the weight back on, and I just...loving...sank. I was always a good swimmer growing up, but when you're actively less bouyant than the water you're in, it's a whole different experience.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

I may be in the minority here but I really think pumps shouldn't have the locking trigger so you can just walk away or get in your car while it's pumping, unattended. People are stupid and/or get easily distracted to trust 'em not to have a lapse in attention. I'm guilty of being stupid/lazy myself but I never stray too far when pumping gas.

They're supposed to have an anti-flowback valve that will mechanically disengage the flow trigger and cause the trigger lock to disengage. But even it doesn't disengage the lock part, you still need to reset the flow valve by fully releasing the trigger before more fuel will flow. Or course, for this safety feature to work it requires proper use and making sure the nozzle is fully inserted. It also won't kick in if you remove it prior to topping off the tank. Although fully depressing the trigger on those will automatically disengage the lock.

To get in a situation where a nozzle is laying on the ground just spewing gasoline requires either deliberate action or breathtaking ignorance.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ironhead posted:

Down here in Texas, alot of pumps lock automatically when you squeeze them. It makes it really annoying when you're trying to hit a specific number and you just want to hit a few more cents and it locks and keeps running. Pumps down here also have a tendency to release a spurt of gas when you select your fuel grade, even without the trigger depressed.

I've never encountered these things and my last job involved driving all over TX. What gas stations are you going to that don't just have the metal flap to lock the pump?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

In swimming schad, I've generally been a chubby goon most of my life, but I got sick one year and couldn't digest food. Dropped to some absurdly low body fat level, and not in a cool, sexy way. I went swimming at a hotel after I'd recovered but before I put the weight back on, and I just...loving...sank. I was always a good swimmer growing up, but when you're actively less bouyant than the water you're in, it's a whole different experience.

I never learned to swim as a kid because every time I tried they were like "just like back and float" and I just sank. I couldn't float. When I was 18 I was 5'10" and 120 pounds. I weigh a lot more now, I wonder if I can finally float

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

They're supposed to have an anti-flowback valve that will mechanically disengage the flow trigger and cause the trigger lock to disengage. But even it doesn't disengage the lock part, you still need to reset the flow valve by fully releasing the trigger before more fuel will flow. Or course, for this safety feature to work it requires proper use and making sure the nozzle is fully inserted. It also won't kick in if you remove it prior to topping off the tank. Although fully depressing the trigger on those will automatically disengage the lock.

To get in a situation where a nozzle is laying on the ground just spewing gasoline requires either deliberate action or breathtaking ignorance.

Oh I know that but I'm thinking about those that have a brainfart and just drive off with a nozzle in their tank because they were sitting in their car waiting for it to fill. Wouldn't stop someone bringing a clamp to hold down the trigger so maybe it's a losing battle.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

how many times do you think they've dropped a wrench

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

At the start of the clip she's saying "what do I do??" about the gas that's sprayed her in the face. Guessing she pulled the nozzle out without releasing the handle first and dropped it after the unexpected shower, then ran around to the driver's side to grab her water bottle and try to wash her eyes out.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 10, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I hate everything about this

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Well at least we can all agree that the correct thing to do is to pull out your cell phone and make a fun video while gallons of explosive, toxic fluid pour out and around your car. Do not try to help, focus on capturing the moment.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

Oh I know that but I'm thinking about those that have a brainfart and just drive off with a nozzle in their tank because they were sitting in their car waiting for it to fill. Wouldn't stop someone bringing a clamp to hold down the trigger so maybe it's a losing battle.

Who needs a clamp? You just pop the gas cap off the car and wedge it underneath the pump trigger.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Khizan posted:

Who needs a clamp? You just pop the gas cap off the car and wedge it underneath the pump trigger.

Just stick the barrel of your gun in there.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Cant believe a woman was using a gas pump.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

FuturePastNow posted:

I never learned to swim as a kid because every time I tried they were like "just like back and float" and I just sank. I couldn't float. When I was 18 I was 5'10" and 120 pounds. I weigh a lot more now, I wonder if I can finally float

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Unperson_47 posted:

I may be in the minority here but I really think pumps shouldn't have the locking trigger so you can just walk away or get in your car while it's pumping, unattended.

The pumps around me are starting to play commercials the entire time you are pumping and I would go mad if I couldn't lock the trigger and take a few steps away. (though I'm in like 3 ft away and looking at the nozzle and/or reading SA on my phone)

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I've never encountered these things and my last job involved driving all over TX. What gas stations are you going to that don't just have the metal flap to lock the pump?

I suppose it's not fair to say "a lot" of gas stations, but it happens regularly at the lovely gas station by my house on the west side of Houston, and the lovely gas station by my shop on the east side of Houston. Thinking about it, I don't really deviate from those two gas stations very often.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Uthor posted:

The pumps around me are starting to play commercials the entire time you are pumping and I would go mad if I couldn't lock the trigger and take a few steps away. (though I'm in like 3 ft away and looking at the nozzle and/or reading SA on my phone)

One of the buttons on the side of the LCD will mute it usually. After I start pumping I press all of them until they do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Oh god it might be time to :killing:

I like the trigger lock, it always shuts off properly and I can use the few minutes to check my tires, bulbs, fluid levels etc.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Swilo posted:

how many times do you think they've dropped a wrench

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/xan6ro/homemade_knifethrowing_machine/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Here's the full video. It got posted a little while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BKEZbYOMpI

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

I want this Youtuber named post10 who does nothing but go out and clear out culverts of beaver dams and other obstructions and he's gotten into some pretty sketchy situations regarding running water.

They have a second channel that is updated irregularly that includes tase-testing very old food, exploring old buildings, and other random, non-culvert-related content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNo_M6MhRkOJ3wsp-YoRpFA/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I still think this rivers rep is mostly made up. It's deadly no doubt, but when pressed for figures of how many people have drowned, it's like... a dozen in the last hundred years. Which is about how many drown in any other river on the planet in the last hundred years. And all the tests about measuring it's depth or current or undercut have been half-assed efforts with no scientific rigor. Like "we threw a dummy in, and it didn't come out, so clearly it was dragged hundreds of feet underwater and crushed to bits, the only explanation". Or that youtuber that wanted to test the depth with his sonar rig that said it was 200ft deep was shown that sonar can't be used in such cramped confines or turbulent conditions to give accurate results.

Still wouldn't recommend anyone go swimming, but reality seems more like it's a unique river that's about as deadly as any other river is if you gently caress around with it.

it's this, people scuba dived the strid to explore it back in the 70s. It's certainly dangerous with the current and turbulence, and the walls are irregular with overhangs and stuff to get caught up in, i wouldn't want to go into it, but it's not quite like it's reputation would have you believe

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Uthor posted:

one of the buttons around the screen usually mutes the commercials, often the second from the top on the right side. seems to work on most around here, though i have seen one where none of them muted it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lake of Methane posted:

They have a second channel that is updated irregularly that includes tase-testing very old food, exploring old buildings, and other random, non-culvert-related content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNo_M6MhRkOJ3wsp-YoRpFA/

I will never click this link, and instead live happily with the belief that there's a YouTube channel devoted to tasing old food.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/pogo6sH.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That loving 'Clack clack' every time he's said "Hard tack" since that video will never not make me laugh.