Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

They never seem to pass on savings they get from tax cuts and poo poo. The slavish devotion to the Job Creators of this country frustrate me no end

The taxes <> prices connection is one of the most insidious talking points I’ve seen come up over the last years.

For most businesses, prices are set via one of two mechanisms:
- margin above cost
- whatever the market will bear

I’ve been managing P&Ls for close to two decades now, and I have no way to connect tax rates and pricing in a mental business model. None.
I don’t give a flying gently caress what the tax rate is, nor is it connected to my P&L in any way that’s actionable - seeing how it’s the outcome of a completely different set of financial accounts that nobody but the CFO cares about.

But good job coming up with that talking point, so right wing workers have another reason to vote against their interests, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Levitate posted:

I would suspect anyone who hasn't been to college in the past decade or so has no idea what student loans are like these days and think people are complaining about paying back $15k and could just save for a year and that's all it'd take

There are a lot of otherwise sane-appearing people who are apparently of the opinion that a college degree in any random subject guarantees six figures.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ratoslov posted:

There are a lot of otherwise sane-appearing people who are apparently of the opinion that a college degree in any random subject guarantees six figures.

Similarly, the idea that only engineers and business folks are getting Master's degrees and making big money when a lot of those people are teachers, public administrators, and social workers, many of whom are required to get masters for their jobs and are simultaneously severely underpaid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ratoslov posted:

To be fair, at least within my age group, that was the promise that was made to us.
We HAD to go to college, or else we would only ever be allowed to work part-time at McDonalds, but getting that college degree meant we would be pulling in the big money immediately.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

the_steve posted:

To be fair, at least within my age group, that was the promise that was made to us.
We HAD to go to college, or else we would only ever be allowed to work part-time at McDonalds, but getting that college degree meant we would be pulling in the big money immediately.

Yeah, the older generation consistently fail to take the blame for the very things they criticise.

WE DIDN’T HAVE PARTICIPATION MEDALS WHEN WE WERE YOUNG?!?!?

Yeah sure, ok. But who bought them and gave them out when we were? Certainly wasn’t 9 year old me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

the_steve posted:

I think its also not necessarily a dollar value thing, but instead that "a 3 bed 2 bath home, financial stability, peace of mind, being able to lease a car instead of driving a rust bucket" is now a six figure lifestyle, even in "cheap" parts of the country.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, the older generation consistently fail to take the blame for the very things they criticise.

WE DIDN’T HAVE PARTICIPATION MEDALS WHEN WE WERE YOUNG?!?!?

Yeah sure, ok. But who bought them and gave them out when we were? Certainly wasn’t 9 year old me.

But they did, or at least the concept of participation medals was around. For every Olympic Games since they were revived in 1896, every participant has received a participation medal. Gold, silver, and bronze medals weren't introduced until 1904. People were getting participation awards before 3rd place was considered a 'win', so yeah, if it's good enough for professional athletes, it's good enough for school sports day.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You should get a participation medal at the Olympics. Even if you’re eighth place out of eight competitors, just the fact that you were one of the eighth fastest in the world is a major accomplishment.

There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging effort unless you’re a giant Boomer baby.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

You should get a participation medal at the Olympics. Even if you’re eighth place out of eight competitors, just the fact that you were one of the eighth fastest in the world is a major accomplishment.

There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging effort unless you’re a giant Boomer baby.

Eh, even as a kid you know that you're not the best competing against the best, your school district has 500 kids in it and you came in 70th place. I don't think acknowledging effort is at all a bad thing but giving physical trophies out was kind of weird. Certificates maybe, but not physical trophies.

In middle school I got a participation trophy for an event I didn't even participate in.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Participation trophies are there for the parents, anyways. Either "no child of mine is coming home without a trophy" or "you have to give my child something so they aren't sad/I have to parent them"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Um actually it means you're the best in your country, it doesn't say anything about your world ranking. There might be a thousand runners in China faster than the fastest runner in Australia.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PerniciousKnid posted:

Um actually it means you're the best in your country, it doesn't say anything about your world ranking. There might be a thousand runners in China faster than the fastest runner in Australia.

There are a lot of world class athletes out there, but only a select few of the absolute best even get the chance to compete in the Olympics.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Its about having fun and making friends.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CuddleCryptid posted:

In middle school I got a participation trophy for an event I didn't even participate in.

Stolen valor starts early.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
real stolen valors atleast try to steal 3rd placestuff. sounds like they just want a participation trophy for theft/stolen valor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know I'm arguing with a jpeg, but goddamn.
No one has ever been told that failure to own a motorcycle would prohibit you from ever finding a good job.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry buddy, I know you feel just as stupid as me for taking an extremely high loan on something that won’t be worth it in the long run. Least you can file bankruptcy on it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Been a bit, forgot how much some people hate self checkout.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When nobody wants to work what can you do??????????

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

I like watching food videos on YouTube, and there's this one channel I watch where they frequent restaurants where there's a grill built into the middle of your table so you can cook your own meat.

Every so often I think of the people from that jpeg and how they'd react to such a thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hate having to use a machine to wash my own clothes and dishes. Much better back in the days when gross socioeconomic and gender disparities meant that someone else had to do it for me, as viewed through the lens of other people doing it for me when I was a literal child.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Medullah posted:

I would bet money that the same people would also make sure to, if they see any post supporting an increase in the minimum wage, smugly reply with some article about how they'll just replace all the fast food workers with machines.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I love self checkout but at my grocery it still has to call someone for booze and the coupons on the nearly-expired meat. So I have to call a person anyways and I feel so embarrassed doing so, that if I have either I go through the line with the people anyways.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's great, my city is very Red and self checkout is Satan so anytime I go to Costco or the grocery store I have zero wait time to checkout because everyone is in line at the manned checkout lanes. Sure if I get booze or something I have go get someone over but there's always someone assigned to the job.

Costco is my favorite because most of the time someone just scans everything in the cart for me anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hopefully the booze thing will be solved too by the other Great Satan these people hate, digital ID.

It's already solved for people who are obviously :corsair: with a camera and a person with a button in one of my local stores.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Medullah posted:

I hope the olds continue to hate on the Walmart checkout forever. Walmart is now the quickest grocery store in my town that I can run in and out of for a few items thanks to no lines at the self-checkout.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I always use self checkout if I'm just grabbing a few things. It's a little much when I have a full cart though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I always use self checkout if I'm just grabbing a few things. It's a little much when I have a full cart though.

Yeah, same.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nerox posted:

I hope the olds continue to hate on the Walmart checkout forever. Walmart is now the quickest grocery store in my town that I can run in and out of for a few items thanks to no lines at the self-checkout.

Self checkout is awful, it's slower because nobody has been trained, but if all you care about is lower wages with no regard for customer experience then it's great. It's a nice option if you're buying three things but now the store only has one manned checkout because they're trying to force everyone to do unpaid labor for them.

It doesn't even save much, if any money, because the theft rate is so much higher, but The Cruelty is the Point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PerniciousKnid posted:

It doesn't even save much, if any money, because the theft rate is so much higher
Sounds like it saves the customer money then :v:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I would be so embarassed to go to a bank and be like "hello I'm a huge manchild with metabolic syndrome, I would like to to take out a loan for a lovely bike that goes BRRRRR for me to play with."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cat botherer posted:

I would be so embarassed to go to a bank and be like "hello I'm a huge manchild with metabolic syndrome, I would like to to take out a loan for a lovely bike that goes BRRRRR for me to play with."

I've got nothing against people being motorcycle enjoyers, it just sucks that so many of them think that "rides a motorcycle " is a personality trait, or when they project a bunch of macho bullshit onto riding a motorcycle because they're so desperate to cosplay as what they think a badass is.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

the_steve posted:

I've got nothing against people being motorcycle enjoyers, it just sucks that so many of them think that "rides a motorcycle " is a personality trait, or when they project a bunch of macho bullshit onto riding a motorcycle because they're so desperate to cosplay as what they think a badass is.
I don't have anything against motorcycles either, except for Harleys. They are overpriced, have atrocious reliability, and are slow. It doesn't help that they are universally ridden by pink-faced boomers who think that modifying them to make hearing-damage levels of sound makes them look badass.

Otherwise, motorcycles are fine. Most crotch rockets are pretty quiet, reliable, and get way better mileage than a car. Shame how dangerous it is with stupid drivers though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like it saves the customer money then :v:

Yeah until you screw something up and go to court.

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/tucson-walmart-self-checkout-shoppers-cited-and-sent-to-court-for-mistakes

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cat botherer posted:

I don't have anything against motorcycles either, except for Harleys. They are overpriced, have atrocious reliability, and are slow. It doesn't help that they are universally ridden by pink-faced boomers who think that modifying them to make hearing-damage levels of sound makes them look badass.

Otherwise, motorcycles are fine. Most crotch rockets are pretty quiet, reliable, and get way better mileage than a car. Shame how dangerous it is with stupid drivers though.

Loud pipes save lives!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Loud pipes save lives!

There's some truth to that but it doesn't explain why the same types of people modify their cars to emit super loud farting sounds.

I'd say it's almost entirely down to "pay attention to me"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Loud pipes save lives!

I don't have any proof but I can bet some road rage roider has run a bike off the road by crowding them for having loud pipes. Also if hearing loss level pipes are the only way to stay safe then bikes shouldn't be on the streets.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

the_steve posted:

It's like how a lot of chuds buy into the images of Bikers and cowboys as bad rear end. Nevermind the disillusionment of WW2 GIs and POC ranch hands as the genesis of those respective tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah I don't have anything against the concept of motorbikes, but they have their loving reputation ruined by the absolute worst people. I guess it's like any hobby or whatever, you don't notice the ones that just putter through town on the way to work, you hear and develop a hatred for the ones who rev the poo poo out of their lovely harley up the road right when you are putting the baby to bed, or ride dirt bikes fast along the footpath etc.