Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've played a lot of Kirby games but finished very few, find it hard to stay focused on purely level based action games for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Looper posted:

kirby is probably the most consistently high quality series, probably

Even the otherwise worthless touch/motion gimmick games were good for Kirby. Canvas Curse rules.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Still love how kirby tilt n tumble's plot is just kirby seeing dedede and some waddle dees carrying around some pinball table pieces so kirby goes to check out what they're doing and just beats them all up for no reason.

They weren't even doing anything bad or evil and kirby just popped over and started kicking their asses.

Do the games say what happens to enemies kirby eats? Do they at least get warped out or is kirby just straight up killing a whole bunch of dudes on his quest to make friends

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Still love how kirby tilt n tumble's plot is just kirby seeing dedede and some waddle dees carrying around some pinball table pieces so kirby goes to check out what they're doing and just beats them all up for no reason.

They weren't even doing anything bad or evil and kirby just popped over and started kicking their asses.

Do the games say what happens to enemies kirby eats? Do they at least get warped out or is kirby just straight up killing a whole bunch of dudes on his quest to make friends

It’s implied the reoccurring mini bosses that you beat up like a half dozen times per game are the same guy who really likes getting beaten up and you’re often encouraged to eat them to use their power in the next area, so I guess they just get warped somewhere?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I looooved Kirby super star as kid, but having revisited it recently, it still rules

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Kirby sucks in all of his games

Sometimes he blows, too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should port Super Star Ultra to the switch

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

They should port Super Star Ultra to the switch

:yeah:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Larryb posted:

Try playing on Extra Mode then (Up+Select+A on the title screen)

My friends neighbor stole all my Gameboy games 25+ years ago

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looper posted:

kirby is probably the most consistently high quality series, probably

https://clips.twitch.tv/DarlingFineKuduPJSugar-QJl-NPC0JGaqCvwT
"it's like chewing on newspaper sometimes. no offense..." -- tim rogers

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tim Rogers can go suck an egg

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I need to get back to Forgotten Lands. Got to the desert/wasteland area after Dedede but dropped off.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

It's finally time to cancel Tim Rogers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

To be fair. Some of the Kirby games I've played were really boring, to me

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really didnt need 4 return to dream land games and im really glad forgotten land took the step it did, its like my favorite kirby game lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
they did make the most of it with robobot being so perfect and the star allies free updates though so he can still suck an egg, but not get an ability from it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I know this thread is full of Ubisoft fans, so I thought I’d mention that their press conference thing is in 2 hours.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i think the thing i want most from 2d kirby right now is another gco-style game thats better than amazing mirror, the original gco is just such a cool concept and package

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also if you want kirby to gently caress you up you should play kirby's dream course available now on the nintendo switch, the hardest video game ever made

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
kirby

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

To be fair. Some of the Kirby games I've played were really boring, to me

I could never get into Kirby games and it took me a while to realise it's because of the complete lack of momentum in the platforming, Kirby has a very low top speed and stops moving the second you stop inputting movement and no matter how much craft is put into those games I just can't get past how dull they feel to control

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Poyo

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FirstAidKite posted:

Kirby eats, but he does not digest. All enemies are excreted peacefully offscreen.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I could never get into Kirby games and it took me a while to realise it's because of the complete lack of momentum in the platforming, Kirby has a very low top speed and stops moving the second you stop inputting movement and no matter how much craft is put into those games I just can't get past how dull they feel to control

I’ve enjoyed what Kirby games I’ve played but the way it feels to actually control Kirby is definitely not a highlight of them. It just feels a bit off to me.

I’m still interested in Forgotten Lands since it’s such a different format that my complaints may no longer apply to it, but I am very behind on games I want to play and I don’t know if/when I’ll ever get to it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just checked: in smash bros at least, “swallowing” an opponent has the opponent immediately turn into a star that flies upward for a little under a second before turning back into themselves again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they're called copy abilities, not cut abilities

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Huh, the base game of the new Assassin's Creed is only 50 bucks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Huh, the base game of the new Assassin's Creed is only 50 bucks.

It was supposedly initially an expansion to Valhalla, so makes sense that it’s less substantial.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Good news everyone, I'm gaming again :toot: I decided that the super hard mission in Trauma Centre New Blood was putting me off so I'm putting it behind me and instead I'll be playing Smackdown vs Raw 2009. Now when it comes to picking my character for Career Mode there was only one person who's attitude, levels of compassion and capacity for self-reflection match my own so naturally I will be playing as CM Punk.

My first opponent? Cody Rhodes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1568695472906457088

They're finally doing it!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hell, it's about time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rayman with a gun would be very powerful

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rarity posted:

Good news everyone, I'm gaming again :toot: I decided that the super hard mission in Trauma Centre New Blood was putting me off so I'm putting it behind me and instead I'll be playing Smackdown vs Raw 2009. Now when it comes to picking my character for Career Mode there was only one person who's attitude, levels of compassion and capacity for self-reflection match my own so naturally I will be playing as CM Punk.

Seems appropriate. Hope Cody wins.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm bummed about Codename Jade, though. They're finally doing a non-side scrolling Assassin's Creed in China... and it's for mobile only. Very monkey's paw moment there

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm bummed about Codename Jade, though. They're finally doing a non-side scrolling Assassin's Creed in China... and it's for mobile only. Very monkey's paw moment there

I’m looking forward to the eventual pc port.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

I got up to the #1 contender's match with JBL for the IC title but trying to pick up cage escape mechanics on the fly is tough so I lost. Then i started John Cena's road to WM24 which is nothing like his real road to WM24 because instead of sitting at home being injured I'm entertaining Our Troops while MVP decides to quit the country.

I have no idea where this is going.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

Finally back to some real games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Today I finished Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One, an extremely weird game where Sherlock spends the whole thing talking to his imaginary friend and at one point you solve a case by making an inflatable elephant and covering it in elephant uh stuff to attract an amorous male elephant.

My main complaint, outside of the tedious and incongruous shooting sections, was that they got rid of cases having an actual right answer but some wrong ones you can pick, in favour of 'whatever answer you pick is the right one' which isn't really why I play a game about solving mysteries.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Today I finished Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One, an extremely weird game where Sherlock spends the whole thing talking to his imaginary friend and at one point you solve a case by making an inflatable elephant and covering it in elephant uh stuff to attract an amorous male elephant.

My main complaint, outside of the tedious and incongruous shooting sections, was that they got rid of cases having an actual right answer but some wrong ones you can pick, in favour of 'whatever answer you pick is the right one' which isn't really why I play a game about solving mysteries.

From your description it sounds like maybe not just his friend is in his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is it possible to type faster than you can subvocalize