Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen the "girl's dad is also in love with her boyfriend" complication.

It's particularly complex since we know from experience that Komi-mom would absolutely want to see this happen, because she is a stone-cold gremlin.

It's like the old saying goes, the way to a woman's heart is through her father.

Sleep with him and you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lmao, I love these relationships

Rand Brittain posted:

It wouldn't work.

Comedic characters like those three require straight men in pretty much the same way that nuclear reactors need cooling rods, or else the entire narrative spirals off into insanity that no longer resembles real life.

I mean whoever they're dragging around is going to be the straight man. Najimi generates straight mans by the hundreds. Manzai is a pretty well understood formula.

RareAcumen posted:

That's what made me wanna ask, I'm sure she's been doing more exercise besides that in earlier chapters but I'm just waiting to see Komidad swinging around a motorcycle at some point.

He should take Tadano on a motorcycle ride, we know he knows how to ride one.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Seems like spanish translations have been dropping a bit faster than english ones on mangadex lately. Hope you enjoy some Yamai next episode!!! also two new characters!!

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SexyBlindfold posted:

Hope you enjoy some Yamai next episode!!!

Does Yamai hop on a bus to a distant country, never to return to the series?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yesterday I was talking to a customer (I work at a bookstore) and brought up Komi and he went “oh I love Komi” and showed me his hand tattoo of Komi’s face

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Sorry to hear that yamai frequents your bookstore, that’s gotta be a pain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

Yesterday I was talking to a customer (I work at a bookstore) and brought up Komi and he went “oh I love Komi” and showed me his hand tattoo of Komi’s face

Was it her normal face or owlcat? Very important distinction.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

Was it her normal face or owlcat? Very important distinction.

Normal face

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I'm sorry that your customers are horrendous perverts.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Truly shameful

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm sorry that your customers are horrendous perverts.

There was a pervert? In the manga section??? My God

All the real perverts are in the romance section, that stuff is spicy

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

thetoughestbean posted:

There was a pervert? In the manga section??? My God

All the real perverts are in the romance section, that stuff is spicy

Oh I used to be a library assistant, I am well aware.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

...on his hand?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

...on his hand?

Yep! It was on the back of his hand

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thetoughestbean posted:

Yep! It was on the back of his hand

Was there a Tadano on the back of his other hand, so she at least has some company? And he can push them together and make kissy noises when he's bored?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

Was there a Tadano on the back of his other hand, so she at least has some company? And he can push them together and make kissy noises when he's bored?

Well somebody has to make it happen if the manga won't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

No the way you do it is get Komi on one hand and owlcat Komi on the other and just express your mood by showing one or the other

Also there's a new chapter where the comic is becoming (more) self-aware and all three new characters hate their gimmicks.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 10, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm gonna need some explanation on what a "nanoda" character is/means? That aside, cute chapter, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's sidetracking the very important Komi/Tadano smooching.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

tsob posted:

I'm gonna need some explanation on what a "nanoda" character is/means? That aside, cute chapter, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's sidetracking the very important Komi/Tadano smooching.

It would be similar to ending almost every sentence you speak with "I'm sure!" or "It is!" or something like that.
https://www.japandict.com/%E3%81%AA%E3%81%AE%E3%81%A0

(In English you could also begin sentences with it, but Japanese word order doesn't work that way.)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
It's just a way of ending a sentence that can make a character's style of speaking stand out without having to give them an actual personality. That's the joke. Her entire character is that she ends her sentences with 'nanoda.'

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

It's just a way of ending a sentence that can make a character's style of speaking stand out without having to give them an actual personality. That's the joke. Her entire character is that she ends her sentences with 'nanoda.'

Ah, so it's dattebayo without making people think of Naruto

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Probably the most recent and well known ~nanoda characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaBi1rP58E

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://mangadex.org/chapter/eaf9fdb3-b007-4e4a-9d3a-fb987bc4d279/1

More Manbagi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xelkelvos posted:

Probably the most recent and well known ~nanoda characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaBi1rP58E

Thanks I hate it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poo poo, we were dangerously close to moving a relationship forward, bullet dodged. :(

drat, no wonder Nanoda (the character) doesn't want to be a nanoda (the archetype) character

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Those were some premium Manbagi faces.

Gotta say the substitute principal gag made me say, "Oh no" out loud.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cute stuff

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

373 is incredible and I wish the manga was more of that.

I don't know if I'm in the minority or whatever, but I really (really) wish there was a much greater focus on a core cast, rather than dozens and dozens of side characters I am incapable of remembering. I think the romances (Manbagi love triangle and all) have been great but the cast is so loving large that it really dilutes the experience.

I miss Manbagi and Katai dearly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really enjoy chapters like these, and the balance could probably be tweaked to be better but in general I think the mangaka has the right idea of having some focus on the core cast and a deep secondary cast that are allowed to get focus of their own to develop them. There's a good few of the secondary cast I don't recognize straight off, but they're so defined by their idiosyncrasies that it's usually not hard to go "Oh, it's that one" even if I can't remember the name. There's a lot of manga where the focus is all on the core cast, and the secondary cast feel almost invisible because of it. By contrast, in Komi-San, every chapter focusing on the core cast is generally great because the manga only focuses on them when the mangaka has something specific to do with the cast, and it'll focus on secondary characters otherwise.

That said, I agree this chapter was pretty great. It's probably a consequence of mostly reading shonen manga, but it's almost always the guy in a relationship we see as flustered, so it's fun to get one where while the guy is often flustered, he's generally the one with his poo poo together and instead it's Komi who's just a bag of nerves. Her getting so stressed and nervous she paralyzes herself was fun, both her parents wanting to impress Tadano by dressing up fancy and then pushing into the study date, Komi-Dad's ridiculously ostentatious phone, Shuuko swirling an imaginary cocktail glass and then demanding details of Tadano's confession so she can relieve her youth; all really funny stuff and balanced well with Shuuko thanking Tadano for becoming Komi's friend, and how it's changed her. It could be such a sappy moment, but there's so much silliness around it that it doesn't feel cloying or forced at all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RuBisCO posted:

I miss Manbagi and Katai dearly.

:same:

:negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New chapter!
:sickos:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just gently caress already.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6gzOcTNKwE

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

chumbler posted:

Just gently caress already.

I honestly don't know what's more "Just gently caress already" among my current reading list, this, Just Go Home Akutsu, or Nagatoro.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Komi is going to walk in on Tadano having sex with her father before they even smooch. Possibly find him having sex with every member of her family individually before it happens. All with completely innocent and reasonable explanations due to circumstance... somehow.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Do it author like the kaguya author

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tadano's somehow going to make Komi's mom and dad as shy being married to each other as he is dating Komi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
God drat it, Shuko!