Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well at least she didn't tell him he was the only thing that made the show enjoyable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

zoux posted:

Well at least she didn't tell him he was the only thing that made the show enjoyable

Wilson Cruz’s tiddies are in my top 10 reasons for watching Discovery

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Ia she problematic now?

Only slightly.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
To be fair to Marina, she might've been sloshed

Lester Shy posted:

IIRC the doctor from Discovery actively namesearches and "calls out" people who are critical of the show.

*tweets that Culber is NOT sexy* and now we wait.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Yes, it seems highly reminiscent of the modernized refits of the Constitution from STO. Almost to the point of someone cribbing from notes during class.

Eh, it's a little bit like those (which are now 10+ years old and haven't been revamped so they're looking pretty shoddy) but even those were a lot more coherent.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 9, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Benzite guy: What is an "excalibur"
Human guy: oh it's the name of a famous sword from a folk tale popular on a single Earth island from 1500 years ago
Benzite guy: What the gently caress is a sword

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"It would have been more fitting to name it hHouyomoldok"

"What's that?"

*scoffs* "seriously?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Eh, it's a little bit like those (which are now 10+ years old and haven't been revamped so they're looking pretty shoddy) but even those were a lot more coherent.

You know, for some reason I remember those being a lot uglier. I think you're on to something, making a worse design than release-era STO is pretty loving impressive.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I kind of appreciate both sides of the design coin - designs like the Ent-D and OG 1701 are gorgeous and iconic, but I don't hate some of the sleeker more modernized designs either, despite the fact that they stray a little from the norm. I think the Excalibur is pretty awesome, without going too overboard.

Then again I'm a weirdo, my favorite Enterprise is the C, Ambassador class 4 lyfe (both the on-screen and concept versions own IMO)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They also work against common logic; even if old starships have their uses, why rebuild the old stock when you could produce completely new ships? Its not like the Federation is starving for resources, after all.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Der Kyhe posted:

They also work against common logic; even if old starships have their uses, why rebuild the old stock when you could produce completely new ships? Its not like the Federation is starving for resources, after all.

It really doesn't make sense when you consider they just made a brand new Stargazer model using the era appropriate Sovereign-class design language. Why make that new model and make that connection to Picard's character if you are only going to use that ship for one episode?

Being honest, I'm still expecting season 3 to feature this new ship just long enough for our heros to leave spacedock before we wind up somewhere in Los Angeles County for the rest of the season.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I kind of appreciate both sides of the design coin - designs like the Ent-D and OG 1701 are gorgeous and iconic, but I don't hate some of the sleeker more modernized designs either, despite the fact that they stray a little from the norm. I think the Excalibur is pretty awesome, without going too overboard.

Then again I'm a weirdo, my favorite Enterprise is the C, Ambassador class 4 lyfe (both the on-screen and concept versions own IMO)

TV Ambassador without the right angle nacelles would be perfect. Never having played the game I do really like that Excalibur too, it looks like a cross between a Constituion and Sovereign, which feels like the platonic ideal of the Starfleet ship design to me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also i know it edges into dark/edgy territory but I really like dark gray for starship like that

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So, apropos of nothing, but artist Mike Maihack did this sketch of Mariner for Star Trek Day;
https://twitter.com/mikemaihack/status/1568030078981885954

Which also lead me to this variant cover for Star Trek #400 by Chris Fenoglio
https://twitter.com/ChrisFenoglio/status/1567483040598720512

was thinking of grabbing a copy, but I'm not sure if I want to plop down $14 for a comic book.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

IIRC the doctor from Discovery actively namesearches and "calls out" people who are critical of the show.

My mind parsed this as "doctor from Voyager" and I could only think about FresnaGaran (I think that was his name) from here and Picardo.jpg and was imagining that was the catalyst for Picardo becoming the Voyager Police on Twitter...

zoux posted:

Exactly!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Penitent posted:

It really doesn't make sense when you consider they just made a brand new Stargazer model using the era appropriate Sovereign-class design language. Why make that new model and make that connection to Picard's character if you are only going to use that ship for one episode?

Apparently it's important for the story that this new ship is small.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Barclay is the most realistic depiction of what someone in the future would actually be like

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you think about it, to them we're the forehead aliens.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fuckin earth weirdos with their smooth foreheads.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In the future, “smoothie” will be an offensive slur for humans

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In the future, “smoothie” will be an offensive slur for humans

More than one Klingon has promised/threatened to make a "smoothie smoothie" at one point or another in the long and violent history between Earth and Qo'noS.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Fuckin earth weirdos with their smooth foreheads.

Picard is the most stereotypical hyoomon possible

Swanning about the galaxy making self-satisfied pronouncements from the deck of his gigantic battleship about how much better humans are now than they used to be, forehead utterly smooth

Every other species pinching the cruggly bridge of their nose and going, "seriously?" before they answer his hails

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Other posted:

Which also lead me to this variant cover for Star Trek #400 by Chris Fenoglio
https://twitter.com/ChrisFenoglio/status/1567483040598720512

was thinking of grabbing a copy, but I'm not sure if I want to plop down $14 for a comic book.

I’m here for Garak and Sulu chatting it up. :allears:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

HD DAD posted:

e: I do hate there appears to be another future 9/11 in the trailer though

My theory that 9/11 killed Trek is still vindicated

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Future 9/11 board:

Enterprise
Star Trek: Nemesis (averted)
Star Trek 2009
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek: Discovery
Star Trek: Picard Season 1
Star Trek: Picard Season 3

21 years, 8 future 9/11s

At this rate we should reach the 11th future 9/11 sometime in 2029, although that doesn't take into account the acceleration in rate in the last five years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many 9/11s before 9/11 though

DS9: Obsidian Order does a 9/11, Sisko does a 9/11, earth does a post 9/11 security state, dominion does a 9/11, I think Kira did a couple
TNG: Wolf 359, Hoosnak, crystalline entity
Voyager: I think it has a couple but I can't remember

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
9/11s before 9/11 were known as Pearl Harbors

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sisko didn't do a 9/11 because nobody died.

Wolf 359 isn't a 9/11 for obvious reasons.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
About the ship for Picard season 3… it often feels like I’m the only Star Trek fan who doesn’t care even the slightest bit what the outside of a ship looks like.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly same. The only Trek ship that got a “okay yeah that’s ugly” from me is the Inquiry class from Picard S1. And even then I think it was just because there were so many on screen at once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stirring praise.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always found the Defiant, if not ugly, then just really dull to look at.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Sisko didn't do a 9/11 because nobody died.

Wolf 359 isn't a 9/11 for obvious reasons.

In Star Trek everyone has a moment of silence at 3:59 every day and if you don't do it you're unamerican I mean unfederatican.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

So either A) they don't know that USS Titan is already a hero ship on another show or B) they are actively loving with Lower Decks.

I assumed it was a deliberate callback to LD and maybe Boimler will be the first officer or something.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Please don't. I'm so sick of prequels.

we're gonna get endless prequels of prequels at least until we meet present day.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Star Trek: Roddenberry

A live covering of Gene getting the idea in the shower.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Star Trek: Roddenberry

A live covering of Gene getting the idea in the shower.

star trek rod n berries

the other thing Gene did in the shower

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just make a drat show set after DS9 or Voyager and have it be a new ship just exploring the universe , have it be 23 episodes long per season, and have each individual episode be its own thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean it really feels like they’re setting up a Seven captaining the Titan show. If they can keep that episodic, I wouldn’t be against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Just make a drat show set after DS9 or Voyager and have it be a new ship just exploring the universe , have it be 23 episodes long per season, and have each individual episode be its own thing.

isn't this basically prodigy