Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Riatsala posted:

This, and the regional equivalent of never connecting the dots between "it's really windy here and there are a lot of bobcats/mountain lions/coyotes" and "MY OUTDOOR CAT RAN AWAY AND SOMEONE STOLE MY PLASTIC LAWN FURNITURE :( :("

We don't get much wind here, but the coyotes have increased to the point where no one has any illusions as to where their outdoor kitties are going. Mainly because they're no longer dragging them off and the "leftovers" are still in the back yards. The daily "Where is my kitty?" posts have been replaced with daily "Coyote spotted!" posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edmund Sparkler posted:

How many people don't even know that the cops can instantly run your license plate and know whether or not your tags are current and valid? Police aren't going to bother to pull someone over for expired tags right now unless it's an excuse to look for something else.

Yeah and depending on where you're at it's going to be automated soon so anyone in the vicinity of a cop car is getting pinged.

Not really fair to us poor folks but that human leeway thing you're talking about is a kindness.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'll check the local Nextdoor oh about once a month or so. Without fail there will be at minimum one new post per week of :byodame:"My car was broken into!"

Naturally when pressed for details it will emerge that:
1. The doors were not locked.
2. Among the items stolen was their wallet because who doesn't keep their goddamn wallet in the cupholder between seats? Librals, that's who!

When told they should lock their vehicle and avoid keeping valuables inside when not actually driving they will act perplexed and outraged that they be required to take any sort of action whatsoever to avoid misfortune.

B.T.W. Anyone know why there's a helicopter hovering overhead this morning?

Someone here locally a while back had this happen to them but one of the things stolen from their unlocked car was their unsecured gun, lmao.

At least even some of the conservative shitheads lambasted them for that one too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh wow, IRL loot crate!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol you love to see it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Moonlight posted:

If there’s one thing people on NextDoor fundamentally do not understand, it’s our legal systems and government. It’s frightening how even a basic grasp of high school civics eludes them.

For suburban white people this is basically 'trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke'.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Riatsala posted:

This, and the regional equivalent of never connecting the dots between "it's really windy here and there are a lot of bobcats/mountain lions/coyotes" and "MY OUTDOOR CAT RAN AWAY AND SOMEONE STOLE MY PLASTIC LAWN FURNITURE :( :("
cat going meeeeEEEOOOooowww as it blows by the coyotes lounging comfortably in their seats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Riatsala posted:

See that one post of 'It sounds like you're just feeding cats to coyotes'.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I get at least one ‘MY WORKTRUCK WAS STOLEN WITH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF TOOLS IN IT Nextdoor message a week, as well as other break-in complaints.

It’s like, Dude, we live in a semi-sketchy area, why on earth are you leaving anything saleable on the street? I’ve lived here for 18 years and never had anything hosed with, because I don’t leave ANYTHING visible inside a car or truck. If I had a work truck or van full of tools, I’d sleep in the loving thing, those vehicles are like catnip for tweakers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

JnnyThndrs posted:

I get at least one ‘MY WORKTRUCK WAS STOLEN WITH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF TOOLS IN IT Nextdoor message a week, as well as other break-in complaints.

In my area, it’s more like “THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF TOOLS WERE STOLEN OUT OF THE OPEN AND UNSECURED BED OF MY TRUCK.”

This is usually blamed on a combination of how “the DA no longer prosecutes crime”, politicians in Sacramento, and Gavin Newsom personally.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Someone in my neighborhood finally answered a, "Why are there so many cops in the grocery store parking lot?" with, "I dunno, donut sale?"

Sassy Nextdoor best Nextdoor.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Riatsala posted:

no license plate, last plates covered where you can't read them,

As a white twenty something in a small northeastern US town, I once got pulled over for failure to display my license plate. In a blizzard. During a declared state of emergency. After being pressed into service by the town. In my plow truck. On my way to plow out one of the Lieutenants so he could get to his (4x4 SUV) cruiser because the police department was short handed and was helping with medical emergencies.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You of course just plowed more snow to block in the lieutenant, right?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

press these balls into servicing your mouth, officer.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I just saw a Tesla (no dealer plate or temp sticker) rolling with the only thing on the back a flapping piece of plastic saying "zero emission vehicle".

There are cops everywhere where I live and yet

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Tons of traffic enforcement like that was suspended due to COVID backlogs but drat if it isn't a sign that all these CRIMINALS and HUMAN TRAFFICKERS are just driving around looking for crimes to do and people to kidnap. Pops up in every thread even remotely related to traffic around here.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Nighthand posted:

You of course just plowed more snow to block in the lieutenant, right?

Would have, if my cousin wasn't banging his daughter. Didn't want to start a small town family war.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's hosed up that anyone was banging their daughter, no matter how small the town

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

"while wearing gloves to protect my hands"

Why do these links of posts often include some stupid detail like this? Why did you include this? What does it even mean?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why do these links of posts often include some stupid detail like this? Why did you include this? What does it even mean?

That they are the main character of reality.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Well he has to inspect other people's cars and houses to ensure they don't have valuables in them that children can steal, and he does it by smashing the windows.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Me vibin with my chimes. I leave the Christmas decorations up I like them.

Gang activity. Those six pointed stars are for the gangster disciples. The fish mean that you killed a vice lord and stole his horse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
(edited)

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Calm down Scooby Doo, you may be an amateur cop but no need to incite violence!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Indolent Bastard posted:

Context: He posts constantly and a previous post had alluded to him shredding up his hands attempting to do something mundane. He posted on Nextdoor asking for home remedies for severely lacerated hands. I'm thinking it's also possible he's an attempted murderer.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The post is now deleted in her intense frustration but my wife recently posted on NextD about a swastika some rear end in a top hat had made in wet concrete and it was staggering the parade of buffoons who weighed in, arguing about things like how we shouldn't forget the dark parts of history or someone expressing their free speech rights in a city asset that others can plainly see is fine, capped off by the guy who volunteered to come out to "fix it" only for his truck window to break on the way to the job (he lived 45 min away) so he asked us to pay for it, jfc

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I joined Nextdoor expecting a neverending parade of racism and the worst kind of boomerism. Instead, I got garage sales and arguments about keeping cats indoors.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bargearse posted:

I joined Nextdoor expecting a neverending parade of racism and the worst kind of boomerism. Instead, I got garage sales and arguments about keeping cats indoors.

That's only the first circle. Descend! Descend!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Honestly I'm glad that talking about Hitler automatically gets that popup.

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 13, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just saw this on mine:

AUGH, so my neighbors have been complaining
about my dogs barking. I hate the electric zap
collars, so I went on Amazon and purchased a
humane citronella collar. When a dog barks, it
shoots a blast of citronella under their nose and
apparently, they don't like it. This morning I was
getting the collar ready and filled it with the
citronella liquid…And that's where my morning
should have ended.
But no, it's me, and I become curious as to "how"
the collars actually work, so I'm standing by my
back door "barking" at my dog's collar. (Don't judge
me lol)
Nothing happens. "8?
I make sure it's turned on, check the fill level, and
go through the "getting started" check list one more
time.
Again, I bark.
Nothing happens.
Now, I'm not quite sure, why I had this next thought,
but I did…I put the collar on. I seriously extended
the band and fit the growl box against my throat and
barked. ۩
Apparently, the collar only works if it feels
vibrations, (who knew 1**) because I immediately
received a blast of citronella to the face! I began
coughing, @ which only caused the collar to
continue squirting citronella spray over and over I'm now on my hands and knees in my back yard,
trying to breathe, and to make matters worse, the
In dog is barking!
So, between coughing and yelling at her to shut up,
I've emptied over a dozen blasts of citronella to my
face. • During all of this ruckus, I'm trying to undo
the clasp of the collar, which has somehow
managed to weld shut during this whole fiasco!
I finally get the collar off and threw, yes, I THREW
that inhumane thing across the yard, and laid in the
grass sucking in the hot humid air. 6
In the middle of thinking this is probably the
dumbest thing I've done in a while, I hear laughter.
MY NEIGHBOR SAW THE WHOLE THING! He was
laughing so hard he couldn't breathe. B Between
gasps, he tells me,
"I was gonna come help, but
every time I started to walk over, you'd set it off
again and then I would start laughing and I couldn't
make it." (Gee thanks jerkface)
So now, not only are my eyes red, but my face and
ears are too. After checking to make sure I was
ok, we parted ways and I went inside to shower so l
wouldn't smell like ode de' Tiki Torch.
Lesson learned... next time (yes, there will always be
a next time with me) I'll make sure that:
!.Don't fill the collar before trying to set it off. 2. Remember my neighbor is not a good source of
help in a comedy crisis situation. On the plus side, I
won't have a mosquito problem for a few days!
(eternal optimist here)
3. I hate to break the news that it's a copied story
that gave me a good laugh, so feel free to do the
same.
Have an amazing day!!

Posted in General to Anyone

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Blue Moonlight posted:

In my area, it’s more like “THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF TOOLS WERE STOLEN OUT OF THE OPEN AND UNSECURED BED OF MY TRUCK.”

This is usually blamed on a combination of how “the DA no longer prosecutes crime”, politicians in Sacramento, and Gavin Newsom personally.

I see you and I live in the same area.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
guys obama defunded all the police departments so obviously the criminals are just going wild and taking whatever they want. It's lawlessness!

it's not like it used to be, there's way more crime now since... you know, those people, moved here. And the DEMONCRATS are just letting them get away with it!

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

lol, when I was like 17ish I did the citronella dog collar thing, but at least I was smart enough to not actually attach it, so I just got one blast

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Gotta love the boomer copypasta jokes https://www.southpointpets.com/blog-content/2019/5/22/a-little-wednesday-humor

I swear I read the same thing years ago except with a shock collar, I guess it got updated for a more humane version at some point.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I ended up accepting that Next Door reviewer thing. I've made like 3 "votes" in the past 2 weeks. You vote on comments that are flagged. It's literally "should this be removed: yes/no/maybe." There aren't a lot of neighbors in my area for some reason so it's not very busy.

But I just got this email invitation to the 2022 Neighborhood Leadership Summit.

quote:

The 2nd-annual Neighborhood Leadership Summit is Nextdoor's premier online event, built in appreciation of, and for, the most critical members of our community: Neighborhood Leads, Makers, Reviewers, and Welcomers.

This year's event focuses on building kindness through connection. Join us Saturday October 8th to hear from a group of incredible experts and community leaders from all over the world. WNBA champion and entrepreneur, Tamika Catchings will help open the event with a candid conversation on How to be a Team Player for Your Community, and we'll close the event with a conversation with Emmy award-winning host, journalist, producer, and author, Lisa Ling.

We cant wait to see you there!

See you there! nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Nice to know somebody agrees.