Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

RichterIX posted:

I've often thought a gooseneck stand and a remote so that I could lie flat on my back staring straight up at my Kindle would be the ultimate in hedonism

Alternatively they make these mirrored glassed so you can lie flat and hold your book straight up and read properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ilysespieces posted:

Alternatively they make these mirrored glassed so you can lie flat and hold your book straight up and read properly.

holy poo poo

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

As soon as they make something that lets me turn pages by blinking at my kindle, I'm buying it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of, I haaaate how you can’t change the tap zones on the touchscreen kindles so tapping on the bottom half of either side goes to the next page. On my oldest kindle it had two buttons on each side and both the bottom buttons skipped to next page, it felt way more natural as I usually hold in my left hand. I presume there’s no way to change the tap behaviour on the newer kindles? Seems really bad for accessibility.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So my Kindle is about due to be replaced, but I'm increasingly anti-Amazon in all facets of my life, and my wife just suggested switching to Nook. I am pretty on-board with this idea, but I already have a whole big Kindle library, and it seems to be DRM'd to hell and back.

Is there a proven method for converting a Kindle library for use on other e-readers? Most of the search results seem sketchy as gently caress (a website for a paid tool made for this purpose, presenting a "guide" where step 1 is "download our software" and so on) and I kinda wanted to ask a neutral party.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

loquacius posted:

So my Kindle is about due to be replaced, but I'm increasingly anti-Amazon in all facets of my life, and my wife just suggested switching to Nook. I am pretty on-board with this idea, but I already have a whole big Kindle library, and it seems to be DRM'd to hell and back.

Is there a proven method for converting a Kindle library for use on other e-readers? Most of the search results seem sketchy as gently caress (a website for a paid tool made for this purpose, presenting a "guide" where step 1 is "download our software" and so on) and I kinda wanted to ask a neutral party.

It is possible to strip DRM from Amazon books, but it's kind of a pain.

The tl;dr is:
- install a specific old version of the Kindle desktop app, and log in to it
- install Calibre and the DeDRM plugin for it
- tell DeDRM to extract the DRM keys from your old Kindle install
- download all the books through it
- import them all into Calibre and it should automatically strip the DRM from them

I've done this successfully, but only on individual books. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on your entire library, it would just take a while.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If you have a Kindle you can also use your Kindle serial number and download and transfer usb download each book from the website

Then do the steps above without the old version of the app

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yup, I have successfully un-DRM'd a Kindle book and can read it in the Calibre reader now. Cool! Thanks guys, that really opens up my options :tipshat:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That said, though, my main gripe right now is with battery life, and it kind of seems like the Nook Glowlight is actually worse at that to begin with, so I'm looking into these Kobo dealies.

The Kobo info from the OP is seven years old and the Kobo model I'm considering (Clara HD) isn't even in it. Has anyone had an experience with the Clara as of this year or thereabouts, and preferably also a recent Paperwhite for comparison reasons? I'd like to avoid paying Amazon yet more of my money, but am worried about getting hustled into a bad experience.

e: I actually clicked back a page and am seeing some more info. Definitely intrigued. I like the idea of being able to pick where my ebooks come from.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 26, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Kobos are generally good, but the newest one I have is an Aura One, which is now 6 years old. I found I liked the smaller formfactors from the Kindle lineup. The Amazon/Kindle ecosystem is a little better/smoother, but that doesn't matter if you're trying to get away from Amazon.

The build quality is generally on-par with Kindle, and if/when a color eInk device comes out, I'll probably grab one from Kobo at least as a point of comparison.

ETA: Nevermind, the Clara HD clearly sucks since it still has Micro USB. The Libra 2 and the Sage are obviously better because they have USB-C.

No lie about now considering buying one of those just for that fact.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 26, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Libra 2 is okay.

For battery life, the best thing I have right now is the Onyx Poke 3, which I use with KOreader and pretty much nothing else (never even set up Google Play).

(KOreader is kind of the ebook obsessive's reader app, which has the most bang for your buck if you're willing to set up all the customizations, but thankfully just works once you do that).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I have a Libra 1 and my wife has a Sage, they're both pretty nice and the hardware buttons are really nice, especially in winter. They're both bathtub-waterproof, too.

If I have one complaint it's that the builtin light brightness is already "way brighter than I'd ever need" at like 5%; I usually keep it off during the day and at 2% and that's plenty.

She runs hers with the stock firmware, I run mine with Koreader which noticeably reduces battery life but also gives me more customization options and lets me sideload books to it without a USB cable.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Kobos are generally good, but the newest one I have is an Aura One, which is now 6 years old. I found I liked the smaller formfactors from the Kindle lineup. The Amazon/Kindle ecosystem is a little better/smoother, but that doesn't matter if you're trying to get away from Amazon.

The build quality is generally on-par with Kindle, and if/when a color eInk device comes out, I'll probably grab one from Kobo at least as a point of comparison.

ETA: Nevermind, the Clara HD clearly sucks since it still has Micro USB. The Libra 2 and the Sage are obviously better because they have USB-C.

No lie about now considering buying one of those just for that fact.

Also considering a jump from Aura One to Sage, and refurbished models selling for a $50 discount isn't helping my tech lust: https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/certified-refurbished-ereaders/products/certified-refurbished-kobo-forma

However, I always run into complaints online about the Libra 2 and Sage battery life not being so great. There's no shame in sticking with a near-perfect e-reader, right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
As someone that has now as of this post, done 3 Sage replacements. Don't get the Sage. If you can get a hold of a Forma that's probably the route to go if you want an 8 inch screen. I'm glad I held onto mine so I can at least keep reading on a *working* device. Otherwise, the Libra 2 is just fine.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just got a Libra 2 and each time I charge the battery I'm reading an entire book out of the Wheel of Time series. I am doing it at night so the brightness is low, but I still feel like I can't really ask for anything more out of the battery.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pik_d posted:

I just got a Libra 2 and each time I charge the battery I'm reading an entire book out of the Wheel of Time series. I am doing it at night so the brightness is low, but I still feel like I can't really ask for anything more out of the battery.
If you did it during the day the brightness would be off, that's one of the advantages of e-ink -- it doesn't need to be backlit to read it in normal lighting.

1k pages actually sounds pretty underwhelming, given that more than a decade ago I had an e-reader that advertised 10k page turns and usually managed at least 5-6k on a single charge. It's still enough for most purposes, though, since you can just plug it in overnight to recharge, as long as you aren't taking it camping or something.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

That makes me wonder how long it would last without using the backlight. Were those 5-6k pages with or without a backlight?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pik_d posted:

That makes me wonder how long it would last without using the backlight. Were those 5-6k pages with or without a backlight?

Without; it didn't have a backlight.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Check your page refresh setting.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think after looking around a little more I'm gonna try out the Onyx Poke 4 Lite. The idea that it's actually just running E-Ink Android, so I can just use the Kindle app if I want, or anything else, is really cool to me. Anybody ITT have experience with that one?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kerbtree posted:

Check your page refresh setting.

I immediately set it to per page since I read about people seeing ghost images when it was per chapter for them (maybe even in this thread). I think it's fine I don't get 5000 pages per charge.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I've also got a Libra 2 and other than being too lazy to go through the Byzantine process of transferring my Kindle books over, I have no complaints at all. Great battery life, love the hardware buttons, perfect size and weight.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Libra 2 vs refurb oasis? Both are about the same amount but I’m balls deep in the kindle ecosystem

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Arson Daily posted:

Libra 2 vs refurb oasis? Both are about the same amount but I’m balls deep in the kindle ecosystem

Do you specifically just want physical page turn buttons? The new paperwhite is real good too and has the warm light option and what feels like a pretty significant screen upgrade

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO when you're deep in the Kindle ecosystem it's only worth switching to a different kind of ereader if you want to break out of the system altogether. If you're willing to stick with Amazon, just stick with the Kindle and avoid having to deal with breaking all your DRM and converting everything and whatnot.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you specifically just want physical page turn buttons? The new paperwhite is real good too and has the warm light option and what feels like a pretty significant screen upgrade

I had a real old kindle with the keyboard and turn buttons and really loved it but needed one with a backlight so I got a paperwhite. I miss the buttons but if they're not as good as the really old ones who cares I guess. thanks for providing clarity.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

IMO when you're deep in the Kindle ecosystem it's only worth switching to a different kind of ereader if you want to break out of the system altogether. If you're willing to stick with Amazon, just stick with the Kindle and avoid having to deal with breaking all your DRM and converting everything and whatnot.

This is why I got a Kobo, I just wanted out of the heavily DRM'd Amazon world. I actually prefer the Libra 2 to my Oasis in most respects too. I thought it was going to be a big trial but it was basically half an hour with Calibre to convert all of the books I cared about and might read again.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The oasis battery is really a let down coming from a paperwhite. I’ve gone from charging maybe once a month to once or twice a week.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Woot has the fire tablets and paperwhites and even the oasis in stock at the moment for pretty cheap. Old refurb models but if you are looking for a cheap ereader, take a peek. You might give something

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just for shits and giggles I measured my paperwhite's power consumption with one of those USB thingies. In airplane mode at full brightness, it was using about 0.02A, occasionally jumping to 0.05, so let's say 0.03A. With backlight off, it was too small to measure, so I think it's safe to say it's at least three times higher, probably much more because even at half brightness it was just somewhere between 0 and 0.01A. Though it'd be interesting to test with a more precise power supply.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Obviously there are huge differences in the technology, but my Kindle keyboard would last weeks with Wifi on. I’m not even sure if my Oasis would last two days connected.

If I hadn’t given the keyboard away it would probably still be my daily reader.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Obviously there are huge differences in the technology, but my Kindle keyboard would last weeks with Wifi on. I’m not even sure if my Oasis would last two days connected.

If I hadn’t given the keyboard away it would probably still be my daily reader.

I've still got mine, but the screen refresh is notably slower, and the battery is almost completely shot. Like, a few hours for a charge at this point.

My Oasis will get several days with wifi, but it's hitting a deep sleep that takes longer to wake up.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My Oasis does much better on battery than my PW does, but then it is pretty old.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

My Oasis 2's battery has been such junk since day one that, after it decided to fully discharge just sitting on a side table during a vacation, I bought the Paperwhite 5 just to compare.

THAT thing lasts forever, and I believe has a better CPU or something because the general UI and just getting around the device is faster and smoother than it is on Amazon's "flagship".

Plus... USB-C charging, which: rad.

They need to stick page turn buttons and a cellular radio into this thing, call it Oasis 3, and I will buy it immediately.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

smr posted:

My Oasis 2's battery has been such junk since day one that, after it decided to fully discharge just sitting on a side table during a vacation, I bought the Paperwhite 5 just to compare.

THAT thing lasts forever, and I believe has a better CPU or something because the general UI and just getting around the device is faster and smoother than it is on Amazon's "flagship".

Plus... USB-C charging, which: rad.

They need to stick page turn buttons and a cellular radio into this thing, call it Oasis 3, and I will buy it immediately.

I’ll probably either do the same before my next vacation or just take my wife’s paperwhite. I like the idea of not having to worry about charging it even though that’s the time of the year I use it most. The oasis is great for bed reading because I always have the charger on hand.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Just got the latest Paperwhite. I have an older one as well. I don't want to have to download all my books again, can I backup/copy the book from the old on onto my computer using Calbre, and copy them back over to the new one? Will that saving reading placement and all those things?

Is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

If you're going from Old Kindle to New Kindle, WhisperSync handles all the bookmarks/completion/margin-notes with little/no issue. If your concern is redownloading the data, each book is on the area of 1-2 megs. I did a full archive of my Kindle books for de-DRMing, and ~200 comes out to 500MB. You can set New Kindle as the primary target on amazon.com and push whatever you want from your Digital Library. It's a little faster than the interface on the Kindle itself.

You can give Calibre a shot, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You can move the data over but if it's drm'd then you are kinda screwed. Best to move it through the website.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I didn’t realize that Calibre-Web can act as a proxy for Kobo sync and automatically shovel your Calibre library on over via Wi-Fi in native kepub format. It was super easy to set up... in case anyone else was wondering, here’s the how-to I followed. I had been using the linuxserver docker container with the Calibre & Kepubify converter layer enabled already to get my epubs sent to my wife’s Kindle and as an OPDS server for koreader, so this was a welcome surprise.

https://fictionbecomesfact.com/calibre-web-kobo-sync

fictionbecomesfact posted:

I use Calibre-web to sync e-books to my Kobo eReader. In another note I already described how to run Calibre-web with Docker. Then it’s very easy to sync e-books between Calibre-web and your Kobo device.

This website already described very well how to synchronize. So I took most of the steps from that website, but with the addition of how you can only sync e-books from certain shelves so that you can make a choice yourself which e-books you want to have on your Kobo device.

As soon as you start synchronizing the Kobo device with Calibre-web, the e-books will be added from Calibre-web but existing books remain. Personally, I’d choose to delete any e-books still on the Kobo before syncing with Calibre-web. You can then manage all e-books from Calibre-web. But it does mean that you will lose history once, like where you left off in a book.

Calibre-web Configuration
* Login to Calibre-web (default: username admin and password admin123).
* Now open the Settings (top right) and click Edit Basic Configuration, expand Feature Configuration and turn ON Enable Kobo sync and click the Save button.
* Now go to your profile (default: admin) by clicking on Account (top right) and your profile name (default: admin). Do the following:
* Turn ON Sync only books in selected shelves with Kobo
* Click the CREATE/VIEW button and copy the whole line, starting with api_endpoint
* Click the Save button
* Now edit or create the shelves and make sure that the shelves have been set whether the books should be synchronized with the Kobo device. That works like this:
* Click on a shelf
* Click on the EDIT SHELF PROPERTIES button
* Turn ON or OFF Sync this shelf with Kobo device
* Click the Save button

Kobo Device Configuration
* Connect the Kobo device to your computer
* When the Kobo device is mounted as storage:
* Locate and open (for example with Notepad) the configuration file: .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf
* Change api_endpoint=https://storeapi.kobo.com to the line you copied earlier (button CREATE/VIEW in Calibre-web)
* Save the changes and safely eject the Kobo device
* Sync your Kobo device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That is extremely cool. I don't use calibre-web because calibre-server has a better reading UI, but that's definitely something I'm going to remember in case that changes.