Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

One of these days, I'm just going to buy a 42" LG OLED and use that as a monitor. Still overpriced for most ($1200), but it seems like it would be great as a single display.

It actually got down to $800 recently and I seriously almost did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Astro7x posted:

Monitors are the things we look at at least 8 hours a day, likely more. Buy whatever is easiest on your eyes. Even if it costs $500 more. You're going to use the thing for the next 15 years. I still use my 11 year old Thunderbolt display.

Amen to that. I have no regrets buying the studio display.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Does anyone have experience changing the battery in 2020 13" MacBook Pro? Is it even a good idea to do it yourself? I'm normally a PC guy and don't have much experience with modern Macs. I got one through work with a dead battery that was going to be tossed. It's just the i5/256GB/8GB/2 port model, but it's still better than my old laptop(Thinkpad T430s).

The quote I got on Apple's website for a battery replacement is $259 CAD, and a 3rd party battery + iFixit toolkit seems to be about half that. iFixit doesn't seem to sell a battery for this model (A2338), are there any other reputable places to get a battery?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Does anyone have experience changing the battery in 2020 13" MacBook Pro? Is it even a good idea to do it yourself? I'm normally a PC guy and don't have much experience with modern Macs. I got one through work with a dead battery that was going to be tossed. It's just the i5/256GB/8GB/2 port model, but it's still better than my old laptop(Thinkpad T430s).

The quote I got on Apple's website for a battery replacement is $259 CAD, and a 3rd party battery + iFixit toolkit seems to be about half that. iFixit doesn't seem to sell a battery for this model (A2338), are there any other reputable places to get a battery?

Honestly since you got it for free I'd pay to get the battery replaced through Apple. Pretty sure it will be a top case replacement as well so you'd get a fixed keyboard as well.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

Monitors are the things we look at at least 8 hours a day, likely more. Buy whatever is easiest on your eyes. Even if it costs $500 more. You're going to use the thing for the next 15 years. I still use my 11 year old Thunderbolt display.

With that reasoning, why not buy a good monitor, instead of the Studio Display?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Criss-cross posted:

With that reasoning, why not buy a good monitor, instead of the Studio Display?

The only monitor better than the studio display is the XDR display and that is not affordable for most people.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

The only monitor better than the studio display is the XDR display and that is not affordable for most people.

I still remember when this kind of reality-defying fanboyism could get you banned

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Haha. Just let them waste their money

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ok Comboomer posted:

I still remember when this kind of reality-defying fanboyism could get you banned

There are better monitors but there are no better monitors for macOS

Do we need to get into how macOS resolutions work again?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

101 posted:

There are better monitors but there are no better monitors for macOS

Do we need to get into how macOS resolutions work again?

This is a subjective opinion FWIW.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

retpocileh posted:

Everything I read and watched led me to believe it would be virtually impossible to make an M1 machine, Max included, get uncomfortably hot to the touch. Just got my 16" max and all it takes is generating 3-4 images through stable diffusion for it to be just as ball-scaldingly hot as my old 2014 15" MBP. The rumors were correct in that the fans barely turn on at all, although I'm not sure that's a great thing.

Otherwise though, this laptop has been amazing. I'm never closing an app again. The screen and speakers? Ridiculous.

I mean, isn't that something like half an hour of sustained CPU/GPU compute? My 2018 i9 gets "ball scaldingly hot" loading embedded tweets, or sometimes doing loving nothing. Seems pretty nice to me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SourKraut posted:

This is a subjective opinion FWIW.

It is not

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

it's true, it's not fanboy/girlism. i don't particularly care for Apple products anymore, but there's not really other 5k displays available. stop melting down about this dude

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

101 posted:

It is not

Sure it is. Each person has their own individual monitor needs; it might be the "best" monitor for macOS in the 5K, 27" category but that doesn't mean it's the "best" monitor for any given individual, regardless of the OS.

Don't get caught up in fanboism.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

it's true, it's not fanboy/girlism. i don't particularly care for Apple products anymore, but there's not really other 5k displays available. stop melting down about this dude

re-read the last page of the thread and tell me where I’m melting down

responding to “the Studio Display is the best monitor on the market that isn’t the XDR” with a variation on “crikey, that’s a lot of fanboyism” (because it very much is) isn’t melting down

I didn’t even start this particular derail, if that’s your argument

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Sure it is. Each person has their own individual monitor needs; it might be the "best" monitor for macOS in the 5K, 27" category but that doesn't mean it's the "best" monitor for any given individual, regardless of the OS.

Don't get caught up in fanboism.

if you think 27" 4k is a substitute for 5k then congrats on being able to save money

but it's not

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TwoDice posted:

if you think 27" LCD is a substitute for OLED then congrats on being able to save money

but it's not

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

I've got an LG 48c1 and a pro display xdr on my desk right now - the oled is fantastic for gaming but lol Mac gaming and the text clarity with the wrgb subpixels cannot compare at all.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TwoDice posted:

if you think 27" 4k is a substitute for 5k then congrats on being able to save money

but it's not

I never said a 27" 4K is a substitute for 5K, so stop projecting whatever need you have to justify your XDR purchase. You don't need to justify it to me.

TwoDice posted:

I've got an LG 48c1 and a pro display xdr on my desk right now - the oled is fantastic for gaming but lol Mac gaming and the text clarity with the wrgb subpixels cannot compare at all.

Good for you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TwoDice posted:

TwoDice posted:

if you think 60Hz is a substitute for 120Hz+ then congrats on being able to save money

but it's not

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

TwoDice posted:

but it's not

:allears:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

I never said a 27" 4K is a substitute for 5K, so stop projecting whatever need you have to justify your XDR purchase. You don't need to justify it to me.

Good for you

I'm not trying to justify anything - the stupid overpriced studio display is the second best display for most Mac users, and the hideously overpriced xdr is the best. Are either of them cost effective? Nope! Should you buy them? IDK

but this is the mac thread and you can't really do better

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TwoDice posted:

I'm not trying to justify anything - the stupid overpriced studio display is the second best display for most Mac users, and the hideously overpriced xdr is the best. Are either of them cost effective? Nope! Should you buy them? IDK

but this is the mac thread and you can't really do better

If a person wants to use a Mac mini, or a Mac Pro, or whatever, but wants AND needs some other size/resolution combo for their specific use can, then neither of those is the best display, for macOS, for their individual use.

For example, if I were in the market for a 27" monitor, and I wanted the best possible color, clarity, and I was looking for 4K or 5K, then I would absolutely agree with you.

If I am looking for an ultrawide monitor, then it is not the best possible monitor for me for macOS.

Which is the point of my "it's subjective". Yes, it's being semantic, but that doesn't mean it isn't subjective.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
note that the old Dell 8k would be in the running if it wasn't busted as heck in macos

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

If a person wants to use a Mac mini, or a Mac Pro, or whatever, but wants AND needs some other size/resolution combo for their specific use can, then neither of those is the best display, for macOS, for their individual use.

For example, if I were in the market for a 27" monitor, and I wanted the best possible color, clarity, and I was looking for 4K or 5K, then I would absolutely agree with you.

If I am looking for an ultrawide monitor, then it is not the best possible monitor for me for macOS.

Which is the point of my "it's subjective". Yes, it's being semantic, but that doesn't mean it isn't subjective.

I agree that neither of them is always the best for someone or the most cost effective - sometimes the best in general isn't worth paying 6x the price to someone and that's totally legit. I've got a Mac mini plugged into this monitor because it's fast enough for what I'm using it for. It's what I wanted but it's definitely not the best Mac.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TwoDice posted:

if you think one upstream Thunderbolt port and zero other inputs, and zero downstream Thunderbolt ports (but at least you get three USB) is a substitute for multiple inputs and downstream Thunderbolt then congrats on being able to save money

but it's not

if I need a display that allows me to comfortably and easily switch between a Mac and a PC, or a Mac and an iOS device, or a Mac and a games console, or two Macs, then nothing that Apple sells is the best display for the job

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

if I need a display that allows me to comfortably and easily switch between a Mac and a PC, or a Mac and an iOS device, or a Mac and a games console, or two Macs, then nothing that Apple sells is the best display for the job

a pro display xdr, mcci USB4 switch and possibly an hdfury device of some flavor to muck with the non-mac's EDID

hell yeah

seriously though someday they will sell usb4 switches that don't cost a grand and that will be a good day

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You can move the goalposts all you want, but if we're talking about the best-looking display for a macOS machine, then it's the XDR followed by the Studio Display. I don't even own either of them, but it's just a fact based on the way macOS handles display scaling.

I'm personally waiting for them to offer a high refresh rate one and just putting up with 4k 27" scaling

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My wife has been using a mid-2013 MB Air connected to two 27" Thunderbolt displays. The computer needs to be replaced. I don't have any non-MB Pro options that will allow her her a dual-monitor setup, do I? It will need to be a notebook - MacMini is not an option.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lincoln posted:

My wife has been using a mid-2013 MB Air connected to two 27" Thunderbolt displays. The computer needs to be replaced. I don't have any non-MB Pro options that will allow her her a dual-monitor setup, do I? It will need to be a notebook - MacMini is not an option.

Correct

M1 Pro - 2 external displays
M1 Max - 3 external displays

Everything else - 1 external display

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Fwiw there have been some great deals on the M1 pros over the past few weeks b

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lincoln posted:

14” MacBook Pro minimum. Fortunately you can get those new close to the ~$1500 range now, which is what a specc’d out Air will cost you anyway once you put a respectable amount of storage and RAM in it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I still chuckle a bit whenever I remember the goon a few months ago who was insistent that the Studio Display was an absolute necessity for working professionals like them with specific use cases, and then that use case turned out to be word processing or whatever.

:goonsay: "How can you expect me to edit a word document with fewer than 14 million pixels?!"

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 10, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Baronash posted:

I still chuckle a bit whenever I remember the goon a few months ago who was insistent that the Studio Display was an absolute necessity for working professionals like them with specific use cases, and then that use case turned out to be word processing or whatever.

:goonsay: "How can you expect me to edit a word document with fewer than 14 million pixels?!"

lol i mean i cant complain, i code which is essentially word processing but i love my pretty bits :kimchi:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baronash posted:

I still chuckle at the mod who thought that replacing a perfectly good and clever Gorillaz reference in the title with something as lifeless and cringe as “5K Supremacy” as a way to show solidarity with the fanboys and bellyachers was a net positive for the thread

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For the record I quite like my studio displays, but will likely get the new XDR when they eventually rev it. I think one bigger display than 2 wides suits me more.

Anyhoo- the other thing I wanted to post- ages ago I posted about my M1 16” dropping the connection with a tethered camera on location- turns out it’s due to the length of cable and MacOS being really frugal about USB devices drawing power. If I use a shorter cable, or use a USB A to C adapter, the problem goes away, or an intel max of any kind.

Weird niche problems, yay!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

I still chuckle at the mod who thought that replacing a perfectly good and clever Gorillaz reference in the title with something as lifeless and cringe as “5K Supremacy” as a way to show solidarity with the fanboys and bellyachers was a net positive for the thread

Mod sass. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

Mod sass. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Backseat modding. User loses posting privileges for 6 days.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

getting the thread back on track from the meltdowner, does anyone have a recommended usb-c -> ethernet adapter? i feel like i max out at about ~150 mbps with all the ones I've tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
if you wanna go faaast https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ADP10GBE/