Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

I can't, either.

I'm surprised anyone rides a bike through that poo poo show.

well there's a very nice separated bike path that goes all along that road going from left to right, and light rail running parallel as well. I'm guessing the main crashes are from people on the separated path crossing the intersection to continue on the path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
gently caress that is some bad design then. Only solution I can think of is a traffic light for the bike path that turns green with a button press.

Also the button makes bollards rise in the intersection.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Speaking of bad design! Bike racks where you're supposed to just poke your front wheel in without any proper way to actually secure the whole bike like with an U-lock. Why not just build a bunch of inverted U shape metal bars that are bolted to the ground or something, those are the best. Example of what people do when you give only bad options:

It was fine though, I just went to the shop real quick and most of the bike rack empty because it was before noon.

Anyway bikes are good.

Elos has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Sep 10, 2022

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

can't believe this intersection has the most bicycle crashes in minneapolis

lol I've biked home drunk through that intersection so many times. RIP the hexagon and punk bowling mondays at the lanes.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Elos posted:

Speaking of bad design! Bike racks where you're supposed to just poke your front wheel in without any proper way to actually secure the whole bike like with an U-lock. Why not just build a bunch of inverted U shape metal bars that are bolted to the ground or something, those are the best. Example of what people do when you give only bad options:

It was fine though, I just went to the shop real quick and most of the bike rack empty because it was before noon.

Anyway bikes are good.

I usually back it into these to get my u-lock around or through the chain/seat stays. They're definitely bad and your post is correct but you can at least get your frame secured usually

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The worse part of the 90's to 2000's was the feeling that things we bad through a deliberate purpose, but because of how disposable and unsearchable TV and newspapers were, there was no proof.

Like it's that scene at the dinner table where the liberal arts major argued and lost arguments with the conservative uncle because the uncle could pull out obscure poo poo, random pop-news from the tv, or go "That's just the way THING ARE! HA!"

as nice as it is to have access to all this information, I miss the days when urban legends and myths about drugs, sex, the government, etc were still a thing

now you just Google it and find out that your cousin is full of poo poo :sigh:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
No, nowadays you Google and get specious videos and articles from realnewsforamericans.com that confirm everything your cousin said and more.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this intersection has more vehicle crashes than any other in minneapolis by far, 216 over 8 years. and if you were to turn around, there's an identical intersection on the other side which had 159. so that's more than one crash every eight days between the two. just look at this loving thing (below this road is 94)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Elos posted:

Anyway bikes are good.

Get a cable or chain to go with your u-lock, they open up a lot of options when there isn’t a good spot to put your u-lock (which is like most of the time in my experience).

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

saw two jeeps today and got insanely pissed off

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

saw two jeeps today and got insanely pissed off

terrible creatures

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

One weird trick to extend your range, Tesla hate it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw a big lifted pickup carrying a single bike but it wouldn't fit in the bed so the front wheel was hanging over the tailgate. lol. lmao.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is this more or less efficient than a hybrid car i wonder

mystes
May 31, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

is this more or less efficient than a hybrid car i wonder
One type of actual PHEVs is an electric car plus a backup gas generator (as opposed to the other type which has a normal gas engine that can run the car directly)

I would guess that just strapping a lovely generator on the back would not be as efficient though

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

this intersection has more vehicle crashes than any other in minneapolis by far, 216 over 8 years. and if you were to turn around, there's an identical intersection on the other side which had 159. so that's more than one crash every eight days between the two. just look at this loving thing (below this road is 94)

loving rooky numbers.

Top 10 Houston intersections with the most crashes for March 2021 through Feb. 2022
  1. Pease Street and Fannin Street (59 crashes)
  2. Bissonnet Street and Westchester Avenue (41 crashes)
  3. Main Street and Montrose Boulevard (Mecom Fountain Roundabout) (39 crashes)
  4. FM 1960 and W. Lake Houston Parkway (39 crashes)
  5. S. Gessner Road and Westpark Drive (39 crashes)
  6. Spencer Road and Highway 6 (37 crashes)
  7. Highway 6 and Bellaire Boulevard (37 crashes)
  8. Treaschwig Road and FM 1960 (36 crashes)
  9. Clay Road and Barker Cypress Road (36 crashes)
  10. Highway 6 and Westheimer Road (36 crashes)

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Sep 10, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

as nice as it is to have access to all this information, I miss the days when urban legends and myths about drugs, sex, the government, etc were still a thing

Google is literally part of the spectacle of propaganda and mind control. it’s not to be trusted mon frere

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

my mom told me you can turn into a girl by kissing your elbow. to make this story more believable i told everyone in the playground that my grandmother did this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

my mom told me you can turn into a girl by kissing your elbow. to make this story more believable i told everyone in the playground that my grandmother did this.
One weird trick republicans don't want you to know

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

my precious Kia Soul, so nimble in the city, was really struggling to climb hills on the highway. it felt very emasculating watching the big boys around me clear them with ease

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

loving rooky numbers.

Top 10 Houston intersections with the most crashes for March 2021 through Feb. 2022
  1. Pease Street and Fannin Street (59 crashes)
  2. Bissonnet Street and Westchester Avenue (41 crashes)
  3. Main Street and Montrose Boulevard (Mecom Fountain Roundabout) (39 crashes)
  4. FM 1960 and W. Lake Houston Parkway (39 crashes)
  5. S. Gessner Road and Westpark Drive (39 crashes)
  6. Spencer Road and Highway 6 (37 crashes)
  7. Highway 6 and Bellaire Boulevard (37 crashes)
  8. Treaschwig Road and FM 1960 (36 crashes)
  9. Clay Road and Barker Cypress Road (36 crashes)
  10. Highway 6 and Westheimer Road (36 crashes)

Americans just like running into poo poo with their cars I think

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Americans just like running into poo poo with their cars I think

who doesn't. crashing into poo poo owns. destruction derby ftw

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wreckfest is a fun game where you can smash stupid cars until they break. It's not quite as good as Interstate '76 but nothing is.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/allinsea/status/1568387187556638720

too much fear. you have to show more aggression back

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/worldbollard/status/1568679764503715841?s=46&t=0bM8jx5GaJ-2FVmwUCKurQ

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

actionjackson posted:

Yeah, and a lot of people LOOOOOVE to cut left for a straight lane.

There’s currently some kind of construction on the west side of Olson, but idk if it’s a redesign or what. Would love to see some traffic calming measures.

I take it whenever I pop into work and ugh. Just a lot of selfish and foolish behavior.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Elos posted:

Anyway bikes are good.

In that case back it in and lock the rear wheel to the rack through the frame

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just push the front wheel over the middle bar and lock the frame to it. If you lay the bike down sideways it's just going to damage the chain and spokes when someone else bumps it getting their bike out.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I have it on good authority that not liking cars means you're a psychopath so wrap it up bikeailures

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Mayor Dave posted:

I have it on good authority that not liking cars means you're a psychopath so wrap it up bikeailures

I heard it means you are ableist and hate people who need to drive because their disability doesn't let them ride the bus

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

every bus ticket here used to double as a voucher for a £1.99 big mac & fries. but the voucher had an odd exclusion, in that it was only valid at mcdonalds without a drive through. made me realise how quickly the drive through has gone from a novelty to omnipresent, trying to think of a mcdonalds where I could actually use this coupon.

also pissed off this guy enough he got an article written about it. https://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/disgruntled-mcdonalds-customer-let-down-by-coupon-tcs-99976

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

why not done?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

loving rooky numbers.

[list=1]
[*] Pease Street and Fannin Street (59 crashes)

why is that so high? I looked it up on a map but it didn't seem super unusual.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I met and chatted up a florist today and asked her about the business, she said that after birthdays most of the flowers are for motorcycle accidents. I thought she was loving with me at first but nope, she said they send tons of flowers to hospitals and funeral homes for motorcycle crash victims, it's a steady stream all day every day. A couple hours later I watched a Prius slam into a dude on a Harley. I literally screamed out "are you loving making GBS threads me!?!" it was some real lmao poo poo.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

why is that so high? I looked it up on a map but it didn't seem super unusual.

It's literally an intersection of parking lots. Multi story parking lots on two sides and a ground level parking lot on another corner. That's nothing special though since half of downton Houston is parking lots.

There is a arch dioses there. Maybe they literally do a "Jesus take the wheel" when they leave they exit the parking lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

as someone who drives downtown on a fairly regular basis i think that houstonians are too stupid to handle one way streets