Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

This is really great. I love the Touchstone interaction part, things like that are always super interesting to explore to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think you do, since I know you personally and I'm pretty sure you've never even read let alone played any oWoD material.

What's funny is that when it came out, it wasn't even called oWod - merely WoD. Makes you think.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a New York by Night thread? If not, is this the best place to ask about it?

I was really bouncing off of the first two in a way that wasn't true for LA By Night, and I was wondering if it's got any better in the past many weeks.

I experieneced something similar, but Feugo and Rey are growing on me (and I've liked Isaac from the get-go).

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

mila kunis posted:

What's funny is that when it came out, it wasn't even called oWod - merely WoD. Makes you think.
oWod - what's this?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Drakyn posted:

oWod - what's this?

new thread title

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So if I wanted to run an Awakening Chronicle inspired by Shin Megami Tensei games, I'm guessing Summoners and the Abyss book would be good to have?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Astral Realms can't hurt either, although you need to jump through more hoops to allow an astral entity to actually affect the waking world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Astral Realms can't hurt either, although you need to jump through more hoops to allow an astral entity to actually affect the waking world.

Already got that one!

I think I'm also missing the Seers book.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think there's a real gap in the current RPG landscape (at least in terms of "games someone in the RPG scene might have heard of") for 'demon summoning/binding' style games. Sorcerer is pretty old and not everyone wants its specific focuses. Various monster-buddy games hit some of the right points but not all of them.

wildbow's Pact serial story had many many problems, but the bit where the hero Blake finds a child's ghost, binds it as his familiar (taking the form of a small bird) and then he goes demon hunting and binds it in the form of a really nasty sword that hurts to wield but is capable of cutting through a lot of 'magical' stuff is really cool; and I could do with an RPG that can emulate those scenes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, there's a bunch of indie rpgs inspired by Persona, but I haven't seen anything going for the mainline Shin Megami Tensei vibe.

Apparently there's an official SMT rpg in japan, but it's just pages and pages of demon stats.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

I think there's a real gap in the current RPG landscape (at least in terms of "games someone in the RPG scene might have heard of") for 'demon summoning/binding' style games. Sorcerer is pretty old and not everyone wants its specific focuses. Various monster-buddy games hit some of the right points but not all of them.

wildbow's Pact serial story had many many problems, but the bit where the hero Blake finds a child's ghost, binds it as his familiar (taking the form of a small bird) and then he goes demon hunting and binds it in the form of a really nasty sword that hurts to wield but is capable of cutting through a lot of 'magical' stuff is really cool; and I could do with an RPG that can emulate those scenes.

There is The Invisible College. Though it's written by a self described OSR internet shitlord, it has a lot of "real life" occultism

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/359585/The-Invisible-College

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Better Angels comes to mind.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

GetDunked posted:

Going to therapy as a nWoD changeling sounds like a great way to take a bunch of Clarity damage

Anger support groups were legit how my Big Soft Boy ogre dealt constructively with his impulse control problems AND got glamor, with a smattering of whatever the promise mechanic was called.

Also holy poo poo has real life kicked my rear end hard. This'll be the second week in a row I'm bowing out of our v5 session due to my kids not sleeping properly the night before.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 31, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Last Sunday's session we got too bogged down into Coterie creation rules and choices which ended up being a mistake with such new players. Half the session was just about finding a location and talking about what to put points into, mostly OOC, and it kinda sucked.

They had picked a cool location (more on that later) so I decided to just tell them the area would cost them two points, and they could put another into Lien to make it easier. Then in the future, once they're settled down, they could figure out what to put the remaining points into. I'll also make them play it out a bit (e.g. if they want a haven, going out to find one and secure it).

Thankfully I took away a lesson from this situation: With new players it might just be better to present them with a few options and let them tweak it later once they understand it better.

When we did get to play it was fun, thankfully. The Gangrel and Brujah fledglings woke up after their first day-sleep, having dreamt of the past night's events as well as their mortal lives. I described how they felt disconnected from the memories of their mortal lives, like they were watching a movie. I did that to drive home the point that they are now something different than they were in the past and it went over well.

Upon waking, the Gangrel and Brujah, both having high humanity, woke up first and because it was pitch black, the Gangrel's Eyes of the Beast power triggered for the first time, freaking out the Brujah considerably. When the Ravnos awoke a little later she cleared things up for the others.

We had our first proper hunting scene with the Ravnos finding a trucker to seduce and bite, which was a lot of fun. This is where I introduced Resonance, which in my mind changes the flavor of the blood somewhat for vampires. The Ravnos player was really into this idea.

Next up, the two fledglings decided to call home using a payphone at the truck stop, since they'd been missing for close to 24 hours now. The Gangrel came up with the absolute worst excuses when she explained her absence to her girlfriend which just made her girlfriend suspect that she's on drugs. The girlfriend got the Gangrel to promise to call her the next morning which the Gangrel accidentally agreed to (not realizing day sleep will prevent her).

The Brujah had a much better excuse lined up and rolled well, so she convinced her best friend that she had a lead for a story she was writing and asked the friend to take care of her cat. The Brujah has accepted she'll probably lose her job but is fine with it.

Next, they drove to where they wanted to set up their domain. Their domain consists of a single street block with a hospital on one end and a truck stop on the other. A perfect location for both the Ravnos, who owns a truck, and the Brujah, who prefers bagged blood. The hospital is literally called "Kindred Hospital Chicago" which was almost too good to be true.

They decided to take a walk to the hospital to check it out. On the way, they just happened upon a 5 or 6 year old kid, walking down the street all alone. The Ravnos was a bit wary and after getting a bestial failure on her Awareness roll, became incredibly paranoid and almost pulled a gun on this child. Once the others had determined this kid to be mortal and genuinely a child, the Ravnos passed a Composure check and managed to get herself under control. It was the first bestial failure of the chronicle, so I decided to go easy on them this time.

The child, Jimmy, told the Coterie he had seen his mom from the car when he was driving down the road with his dad, so he walked back to find her. Jimmy didn't quite remember where he left his dad, but he knew which direction he came from so the Coterie decided to walk him there. The Ravnos carried Jimmy on her shoulders, and Jimmy asked her why she was so cold to which the Ravnos answered that she just ate an ice cream. Jimmy asked if he could have one too, so off they went to Burger King. At the Burger King, Jimmy suddenly dashes out of the restaurant. The Coterie goes after him and sees him going up to a woman and shouting "mommy!!". The woman looks shocked at first, but then hugs him tightly and starts crying. The Coterie rolls Awareness and the Ravnos notices that the woman is crying tears of blood (she was slightly turned away from them so the others didn't notice). After talking to her about their situation (she ghosted her husband and child after being embraced), she says that there's nothing to worry about any more. Jimmy and her will never be apart again, as she can just embrace him. The Coterie does not like this at all and decides to take Jimmy away from her. The Brujah discovers her awesome strength as she kicks the several feet back while yanking Jimmy out of her grip, after which the mom quickly runs off.

They continue onward, when they hear breaks squealing and Jimmy's dad jump out of his car in the middle of the (quiet) road. The Coterie hands him Jimmy and tells him that they saw his ex-wife, but doesn't tell him what she is. Instead they say she was high on drugs so they didn't think it was safe to keep Jimmy with her. As they're talking to Jimmy's dad about this situation, they hear an inhuman cry behind them, and look back to see that the mom is back, this time with her Protean claws out.

I ended the session there on a cliff hanger, since I wanted some time to review the combat rules and also do some prep work for the hospital that they're planning on visiting. The Ravnos is especially concerned about stuff like not breaking the Masquerade, even if she doesn't really align with the Camarilla, so it should be interesting to see how they'll handle Jimmy and his dad seeing all this. The Ravnos is fairly ruthless but I don't think she'd kill them, and even if she wanted to, the others would not let her.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That's a really good cliffhanger and a is going to be a great test of the character's commitment to maintaining their humanity. Not that you need the advice, but during the combat, keep giving them little pushes and temptations from their beast, encouraging them to be more brutal.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Soonmot posted:

That's a really good cliffhanger and a is going to be a great test of the character's commitment to maintaining their humanity. Not that you need the advice, but during the combat, keep giving them little pushes and temptations from their beast, encouraging them to be more brutal.

Thank you! I will take that advice to heart for sure

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ahh, this is a long one but it was very eventful. Also the first proper combat scene of the chronicle.

After a quick recap, we dive right into where we left off. Elena, the Gangrel mother of Jimmy, had appeared behind the players as they reunited Jimmy with his father Tom. Elena's claws were out and her eyes were glowing red, so this was a clear Masquerade violation but the gang was dead set on de-escalation. Initially they tried to talk her down, then dominate her, then use Chimestry to confuse her but they all failed on their rolls. When Elena made a dash for the car, the Ravnos player quickly dominated Tom to get in the car with Jimmy and lock the doors, then made sure to stand between them and Elena. The hope was that Tom didn't get a clear look at Elena because the players were standing between them.

Meanwhile, the Brujah player intercepted Elena and tackled her to the ground. Elena struggled and lashed out wildly at her but was mostly focused on getting to the car. The Gangrel player straddled Elena and when it became apparent that Elena would not calm down, they tried to knock some sense into her in the hopes of getting her to stop. Unfortunately for them, Elena put up quite the fight and got a really lucky shot that almost instantly one-shotted the Gangrel player with aggravated damage. Thankfully the Gangrel player had Fortitude. I had a good time describing how she could feel the claws tearing through the bottom of her face and deep into her chest, rending flesh.

The Gangrel rolled off Elena to avoid getting killed and the Brujah just started brutally beating down on Elena. While it was all superficial damage and therefore halved, the Brujah had an insane dice pool plus Potence so Elena had basically no chance.

In the meantime, the Ravnos was still standing in front of the driver's side window of Tom's car, and had called her ghoul girlfriend to come help out. At this point in the fight, the girlfriend had almost arrived in her truck so they decided to lift up Elena together and try to chuck her in front of the truck in the hopes of killing her since it was clear Elena would not stop.

While Elena managed to dodge the truck, which just clipped her. The damage she had taken by this point was too great and she quickly ran off. The players decided against giving chase.

The Ravnos told Tom to go home and that Elena would probably come find them later so he should probably buy a shotgun, which is very funny as a single shotgun wielded by an average mortal isn't going to do a whole lot of good. The players haven't had much experience with guns vs vampires (the two fledglings none at all), so it wasn't out of character.

Tom asked a lot of questions about what happened and if the Gangrel player was OK, which the players barely answered because they were worried about a Masquerade violation, so finally he thanked the players and told them he'd spend a few nights at Jimmy's grandmother's place and drove off.

The players really held back during this fight despite me presenting them with a lot of options to be brutal. Pushing Elena in front of a moving truck was the only "extreme" thing they did, but it was clear that they did it as a last resort. The entire fight they were trying to de-escalate the situation - even when Elena was tackled initially they tried to talk her down. The Ravnos didn't even pull out her gun because she figured a fistfight late at night in Chicago would not attract the kind of attention a gun shot would.

This situation was clearly a big Masquerade violation due to Elena's appearance, but the players took great care not to violate it themselves, even refraining from using their teeth to attack (since it does aggravated damage). They really showed a lot of restraint and put a lot of thought into mitigating the violation so I don't think I'll have this come back to haunt them. Instead, I'm more interested in exploring the consequences of letting Elena run off and giving Tom rather poor advice. Perhaps he'll come find the players at a later date and tell them Jimmy was taken by Elena and ask them to help return him. Elena's ambitions of permanently being reunited with her son haven't changed just because she got beat up.

After the fight, they decided to continue on to their original destination anyway: Kindred Hospital. Over the past week I had spent a lot of time thinking about what I should do with this hospital, but then I realized I already had a pretty good set-up for it. The two fledgling players who were Embraced two nights ago were actually sired by vampires that belonged to a organization devoted to the distribution of blood bags. Kind of a cheap and underground alternative to the Circulatory System, as this organization is not sanctioned by the Camarilla (or Anarchs for that matter) and mainly staffed by outcasts. Their clientele are mainly vampires in hiding, who can't go out to hunt due to the risk of showing their face.

The players didn't know this and didn't even remember what their sires look like, so I thought it would be fun to actually have them end up being closely associated with this organization.

Upon entering the hospital, the Ravnos snuck past reception and attempted to explore the hospital. The two fledglings decided to hang out in the lobby where the receptionist noticed them and was immediately concerned about the Gangrel's horrific wounds from the earlier fight. The Gangrel, who is really bad at lying, tried to convince the receptionist "don't worry, I'm just here to meet a friend and then I'll go to another hospital to get this treated". Naturally the receptionist did not buy it and tried to stop the Gangrel from leaving. The receptionist's demeanor changed suddenly when she grabbed the Gangrel's wrist and said "Ah, you're one of them. I suppose you're here to see the director?".

Meanwhile the Ravnos, unaware of this, snuck down to the basement to peek into the director's office. Since the director was just called up by the receptionist, he opened the door right as the Ravnos was about to peek in. Since the Ravnos wasn't quite certain that the director was a vampire, she decided to dominate him into doing something innocuous, which failed. The Ventrue director, looking amused, did the same back but also failed. The Ravnos actually took a liking to the director for this, and the two of them made their way to the lobby. Upon seeing the two fledglings, the director was very surprised considering he was at the party where those two got sired and assumed they were dead, but quickly composed himself and made up an excuse about the receptionist telling him there were two guests, rather than three. The Ravnos realized with an Insight roll that the level of surprise didn't really match the situation, but didn't bring it up.

The director invited the coterie to talk in his office and ordered the receptionist to get some bandages to at least hide the massive wounds on the Gangrel's face and body. Downstairs, the coterie told the director that they were planning on claiming this street as their domain, and didn't realize that this hospital was already claimed. The director told them that they never claimed the hospital because they didn't want to draw attention to their operation, even among vampires and that he was happy for the coterie to include the hospital as their domain, as long as his organization could continue to operate there. He explained that a modern hospital really isn't that good for hunting due to shared rooms, nurses walking around, and patients taking medication. Stealing blood bags is also practically impossible without attracting all sorts of attention. Blood is tracked from donation to transfusion and who else but a vampire would steal such a thing?

Meanwhile, the Crimson Road organization, through the hospital, uses a sophisticated process to ensure even a close inspection of the paper trail doesn't show any inconsistencies or red flags other than a slightly above average rate of blood being discarded and "incinerated". One of the ways they do it is by spiking the snacks given to blood donors with something that makes them mildly ill within 24 hours of donating the blood. Once that's reported, the hospital is required to discard and incinerate the blood. All the proper paperwork is done, it just isn't incinerated at the end. I fleshed out a few other methods too, in case the Coterie gets curious.

Upon agreeing to let the organization operate in their new domain in exchange for free use of their services, the coterie got a quick tour of the facilities where they met a very jaded Salubri hematologist (though they don't know his clan) and learned that a Thin Blood preserves the blood in a manner that still provides nourishment for even those without the right merits.

One of the other services offered by this organization is providing live victims for a select clientele, tailored to their wishes (appearance, background, resonance, etc), so the director helped the coterie hunt: the Brujah preferred to drink a blood bag which ended up being a rather messy affair because it was their first time doing such a thing, the Ravnos drank from a comatose patient and the Gangrel, who requires consent to take blood from humans, was introduced to an elderly lady who gave her consent to drink. Both the Brujah and the Gangrel learned here that their Hunger can never be fully slaked unless they kill their victim like they did on their first night.

The director took care to make his organization's operations in the hospital seem palatable to high-humanity vampires, but in reality it's far worse than it might seem. The Gangrel's victim, for instance, is completely dominated and certainly did not give consent of her own free will. The Gangrel legitimately did not realize it, but eventually she will learn the truth and will have to come to terms with her inadvertent but monstrous actions as well as the director's deception.

I'm excited about the situation I've set up with this hospital: Right now the players are feeling pretty satisfied and lucky with this new find, but over time they will discover that this place is extremely unethical and disturbing, even by vampire standards. Patients are denied their medication in order not to pollute the blood, terminal patients are offered up to those who wish to fully slake their Hunger, patients are emotionally manipulated and/or tortured in order to create the right resonances, etc. Real sick poo poo that even the Ravnos but especially the fledglings will have a lot of trouble coming to terms with. The fact that their sires are part of the organization will create further complications. I think managed to lull the players into a false sense of security, especially because the director had a sense of humor and answered their questions very freely and fairly honestly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I am running a Mage the Awakening campaign and I was hoping I could ping off this thread for some ideas. The players are about to start interacting with NPC mages in a significant way, and I could use some perspective.

Chronicle background in case it helps:
We're in Boston and it's 1990. There is a focus on magical research and players are expected to think through and explain how they are doing spells on a flavor level just as much as they do a mechanical level.

Inciting incident was some mage dropping a Yankees cap made of meat on their favorite bar's breaker box. It pulsed Death and turned off the power at a dramatic point in a Yankees/Red Sox game. They've been tracking down this mage for 9 sessions and finally found him and his partner. (There was a false lead where they found some vampires because the vampires and the necromancers drove similar cars. Hybrid hearse/pick up trucks.)

So one of the pcs just walked into the Necromancers desmense, and I am considering how I want to pitch their philosophy/politics. I will spoil my actual thoughts and questions because one of my players reads this thread. (He can spoil himself if he wants to, but I will give him the choice.)

I want mages in this game to be more scattered ascetics than well organized political factions. I don't fully get or like the orders, but maybe one would be good to use as inspiration for what these mages are thinking.

Basically, these guys are going out and working magic rituals to try and set up cascading effects. They do some grave robbing to set up a death spell that kills some tvs at a critical moment and pisses off a bunch of drunk sports fans. They capture some of that emotional energy and perturbed Fate and build it into their next ritual. And then they repeat, resulting in a series of escalating disasters and tragedies that they can learn and grow powerful from.

Does this sound like any of the order's MO? I also want the NPC to kind of recruit the player rather than coerce. I think I can do it because the player has already used their Prime magic to make their ex-husband believe magic is real. (A psychological disaster for the ex.) So if I pitch it as a work to awaken people, it will probably be pretty tempting to them. At the same time, I want this group of NPC mages to be more selfish and callous than what they're pitching. I think that will lead to good reveals later.

If the player does refuse to work with them though, I kind of want some ideas for what nasty nonsense death/fate mages could do to someone while on their powerful desmense.

I'd appreciate hearing anybody's thoughts. It feels like a big moment in the campaign and it can be tough to gauge things just in my own head.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Wittgen posted:

I am running a Mage the Awakening campaign and I was hoping I could ping off this thread for some ideas. The players are about to start interacting with NPC mages in a significant way, and I could use some perspective.

Chronicle background in case it helps:
We're in Boston and it's 1990. There is a focus on magical research and players are expected to think through and explain how they are doing spells on a flavor level just as much as they do a mechanical level.

Inciting incident was some mage dropping a Yankees cap made of meat on their favorite bar's breaker box. It pulsed Death and turned off the power at a dramatic point in a Yankees/Red Sox game. They've been tracking down this mage for 9 sessions and finally found him and his partner. (There was a false lead where they found some vampires because the vampires and the necromancers drove similar cars. Hybrid hearse/pick up trucks.)

So one of the pcs just walked into the Necromancers desmense, and I am considering how I want to pitch their philosophy/politics. I will spoil my actual thoughts and questions because one of my players reads this thread. (He can spoil himself if he wants to, but I will give him the choice.)

I want mages in this game to be more scattered ascetics than well organized political factions. I don't fully get or like the orders, but maybe one would be good to use as inspiration for what these mages are thinking.

Basically, these guys are going out and working magic rituals to try and set up cascading effects. They do some grave robbing to set up a death spell that kills some tvs at a critical moment and pisses off a bunch of drunk sports fans. They capture some of that emotional energy and perturbed Fate and build it into their next ritual. And then they repeat, resulting in a series of escalating disasters and tragedies that they can learn and grow powerful from.

Does this sound like any of the order's MO? I also want the NPC to kind of recruit the player rather than coerce. I think I can do it because the player has already used their Prime magic to make their ex-husband believe magic is real. (A psychological disaster for the ex.) So if I pitch it as a work to awaken people, it will probably be pretty tempting to them. At the same time, I want this group of NPC mages to be more selfish and callous than what they're pitching. I think that will lead to good reveals later.

If the player does refuse to work with them though, I kind of want some ideas for what nasty nonsense death/fate mages could do to someone while on their powerful desmense.

I'd appreciate hearing anybody's thoughts. It feels like a big moment in the campaign and it can be tough to gauge things just in my own head.

Two broad suggestions here, one for factions and one for metaphysics:

Factions: You've got at least four ways to go if you want to give your antagonists a particular cultic affiliation:

Adamantine Arrow: These guys believe that existence is war and that magical power is forged through struggle, and in fact have a Legacy/sub-faction known as "The Awakening Gambit" that's all about putting Sleepers in life-threatening situations in hopes of awakening more (future) Arrows. If your antagonists have a special interest in how Sleepers respond to their antics, they might be Arrows.

Free Council: There are also Libertines who study the ways that intense pressure inspire people to amazing feats, like when a mom suddenly finds the strength to lift a car off her child, whether in hopes of causing Awakenings or just trying to plumb the depths of human potential generally. Some of them orchestrate disasters like the Arrows above, so they could be behind this.

Silver Ladder: Some Ladder mages deliberately take an antagonistic or outright villainous posture in order to inspire Sleepers and mages alike to band together against them, so that's yet another "this is for your own good" post-hoc justification.

Seers of the Throne: The thing your antagonists are doing where the output of one process is the input to the next process and so on and so forth strongly puts me in mind of the God-Machine, which Seers are known to sometimes work for/work with/outright control depending on your setting preferences. Your antagonists could be serving some dark master or autonomous G-M subroutine that wants a weird result of some kind and doesn't care about the externalities.

Of course, on top of all this any mage with the right Obsessions, or just general area of interest, could probably benefit personally from causing, studying, and drawing energy from weird disasters; the least likely Order to be getting up to this stuff is probably the Guardians, but who knows?

Metaphysics: One of my favorite elements of the Mage setting, and something that I feel like doesn't get enough play in later books, is the Invocation Cycle:

Your bad guys have jumped from Death straight to Fate, i.e. four steps forward. Four more steps forward from Fate means you go Time-Mind-Space-Spirit. So, if you want ideas for a pattern the bad guys are following or the next kind of problem they're going to cause/power they're going to harness I would do something with a torn gauntlet, rampant spirit possession, stuff like that. Four is also a number of special significance to the God-Machine, which might lean you towards my last suggestion above (or make mages of one of the Pentacle orders also God-Machine manipulators/cultists/researchers/whatever).

On the other hand, your guys could just be going 2 subtle Arcana forward (Death, then Fate, then Spirit, then Mind, then Prime) before switching to the gross Arcana instead, so you've got options.

If they have a bunch of Death and Fate power to draw on to defend themselves already, there's obvious stuff like any interlopers suffer rotten luck (maybe lovely dice effects and/or dice penalties) on anything they do and find their perishable equipment rotting while ghosts and skeletons sabotage or attack them, but you could combine the principles of narrative role and of irreversible transition for something more esoteric, like intruders find themselves fulfilling and transitioning out of their destinies in premature and extremely inconvenient ways. Oh, you're the party "face"? Time to cut your last deal. You're the heavy? Enjoy nobly sacrificing yourself in a climactic duel.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 9, 2022

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
wow interesting that Ferrinus can't think of a way for the villains to be Mysterium 🤔

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Well, I feel like the PCs should at least have a chance to win.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Thanks for the in depth reply! That's a lot of cool stuff to mull over and hopefully turn into a good game session.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

For anyone following Scion news, Masks of the Mythos just sent out the backer PDF. It took between the kickstarter and now, but they finally added virtues for Mythos pantheon characters.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My copy of Hunter that was reported delivered a couple months ago when they were actually shipped out, arrived today. The box looks immaculate, so it wasn't hidden in a bush or wedged between shelves in a truck. The neighbors on either side of me who would have gotten it delivered instead are old and outside all the time and would have given it to me within a day, so I have no idea where it was. But yay!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
9/10, arcadia should have been listed twice to really sell the gag

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Which one is Irem? That's the only thing on that list I couldn't describe in an hour long video essay disguised as a lecture to Mages at my game's Wizard School.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Spector29 posted:

Which one is Irem? That's the only thing on that list I couldn't describe in an hour long video essay disguised as a lecture to Mages at my game's Wizard School.
Irem and Judges are both Mummy, you can tell by how your eyes aggressively reject paying attention to them and you get a little sleepy when you do read them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I will never get tired of seeing right in the middle of that jamboree "Boss: Kraid. Upgrade: Varia Suit"

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Spector29 posted:

Irem is a moniker for the capital of the Nameless Empire that predates surviving historical records. Mummies were created as part of a ritual by which the god-priests of Irem ritually sacrificed the entire city in an attempt to become as gods.

Omnicrom posted:

I will never get tired of seeing right in the middle of that jamboree "Boss: Kraid. Upgrade: Varia Suit"

The map I edited to make this uses custom pixel lettering or some font I don't have, so I actually had to erase "Boss: Kraid. Upgrade: Varia Suit" just to write it back in to match the font I used for the rest. Everything is a deliberate choice.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 11, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ah, "Dude with Gun," the involuntary fan favorite.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

The map I edited to make this uses custom pixel lettering or some font I don't have, so I actually had to erase "Boss: Kraid. Upgrade: Varia Suit" just to write it back in to match the font I used for the rest. Everything is a deliberate choice.
Excellent piece of comedy.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Question re learning disciplines in V5.

I know that to learn/increase a discipline one of the requirements is to have the proper blood resonance, with higher levels needing more and more powerful versions until you're draining poor bastards like they're capri suns if they have discrecia or however it's spelled.

1) At what level are you basically going to need to murder a dude or multiple dudes with that sweet, sweet Resonance²?
2) I know that Protean mentions that you need to munch on more and more powerful critters up to and including Lupines. What about Animalism? It just mentions feral animals - does my Ravnos need to track down a bear to get the ability to command spiders?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

citybeatnik posted:

Question re learning disciplines in V5.

I know that to learn/increase a discipline one of the requirements is to have the proper blood resonance, with higher levels needing more and more powerful versions until you're draining poor bastards like they're capri suns if they have discrecia or however it's spelled.

1) At what level are you basically going to need to murder a dude or multiple dudes with that sweet, sweet Resonance²?
2) I know that Protean mentions that you need to munch on more and more powerful critters up to and including Lupines. What about Animalism? It just mentions feral animals - does my Ravnos need to track down a bear to get the ability to command spiders?

It's left vague on purpose to let your table play it however you like. Most STs I've seen don't even go hard into the requiring the Resonance since it's sometimes a needless extra barrier to character growth. So basically... play it however you like? Kinda a recurring vibe in V5.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Fuzz posted:

It's left vague on purpose to let your table play it however you like. Most STs I've seen don't even go hard into the requiring the Resonance since it's sometimes a needless extra barrier to character growth. So basically... play it however you like? Kinda a recurring vibe in V5.

Our ST's working it in on the regular but then he's pretty stingy with XP. The group's made up of survivors of STing on the old WoD moderated chat so we're not having too much trouble with it but the Resonance hunt's a bit of a thing for my character.

I suppose not having a fixed Herd makes it a bit rough but so it goes. I tend to hyper fixate on cool things as opposed to useful, and the idea of a Ravnos siccing a bunch of tarantulas on Some Dudes while using Chimeristry to make spooky sounds appeals to me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Our ST's working it in on the regular but then he's pretty stingy with XP. The group's made up of survivors of STing on the old WoD moderated chat so we're not having too much trouble with it but the Resonance hunt's a bit of a thing for my character.

I suppose not having a fixed Herd makes it a bit rough but so it goes. I tend to hyper fixate on cool things as opposed to useful, and the idea of a Ravnos siccing a bunch of tarantulas on Some Dudes while using Chimeristry to make spooky sounds appeals to me.

Have you considered eating a whole bunch of spiders?

Or you could always go find a Tremere and beat them up ask them politely for help.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

joylessdivision posted:

Have you considered eating a whole bunch of spiders?

Or you could always go find a Tremere and beat them up ask them politely for help.

If the group's heroin-addicted cult-leading Tremere compares what he went through to the Week of Nightmares to a shell-shocked survivor of it one more time he drat well might pick the latter.

Until then it'll mostly be eating a bunch of transients to get to Obfuscate 2 for the spooky sounds.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The obvious answer is to go track down an Ananasi and eat one of them. If that won't teach you how to talk to spiders then I don't know what will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obviously you gotta eat Spider-Man.