Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for shutting off my fiancés computer while he was playing his video games in my son’s room at 1:30 in the morning?

I hope folks are telling OP that that's not something their son "not minding" matters about just because potential future son #2 wants to keep a college student schedule with his vidyagame time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not an option everywhere. Say, for example, apartments where every buildings water usage is pooled together and then split evenly between all the residents to pay each month, so Frederick Four-Showers A Day better have a drat better reason for driving everyone's bill up than "I was feeling a little blue".

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They started it right in the middle of the goddamn summer, too! Sure hope you can handle being sweaty because cold showers to beat the heat just got put on the "expensive treat" list!
Your slumlord is loving you all over and clumsily siccing tenants on each other as a distraction, and it sounds like it’s working beyond expectations

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

??? I thought if utilities couldn’t be billed using dusky they had to be included flat rate as part of rent

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for shutting off my fiancés computer while he was playing his video games in my son’s room at 1:30 in the morning?

elementary school kid says he doesn't mind staying up until 4 am. other things he doesn't mind: mcdonalds for every meal, never taking a bath, skipping entire weeks of school

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

teen witch posted:

relitigate a covid lockdown derail and see what happens

I did not see the warning, my bad

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Improbable Lobster posted:

I find that Improbable, Lobster

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Boy I bet you're red

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

never seen an apartment without a shared water bill

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

never seen an apartment without a shared water bill

where do you live

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
How much does water cost you people that one dude in your apartment complex taking extra showers is adding more than a dollar or two per month to the bill? :psyduck:

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Do they tell you each unit's individual water usage but still make everyone pay the average? If not, why bother depriving yourself of water when no one else gives a poo poo how much they are using?

Every apartment I've lived in has had water included in rent.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My apartment building that I've lived in since 2014 (and my gf since 2012) just got new owners a few months ago and they raised the rent the maximum % they could and then said we would have to pay all utilities ourselves from now on, water being split among everyone, so our rent was effectively raised more than the legal limit.

We pay $1100, new tenants pay $1700. This country is loving hell.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing a paternity test after a fling with my ex husband?

quote:

Backstory: Me (23) and my ex (24m) got married when we were both 19, we were young and dumb and decided to elope on a trip together. Long story short, it was a mistake, we did not get along and separated a little over a year ago.

Apparently that wasn't the end of it because I'm now 6 months pregnant after a one night fling with him.

After I found out, I immediately called him to sort everything out, he asked if I was sure it was mine, and I said yes, he told me he wanted a paternity test just in case and that he'd pay for it out of pocket.

I told him there was no need to put me or my child though that, because he was the only one I'd been with at the time of ovulation, he said that didn't guarantee anything and it turned into a huge argument and I eventually hung up because neither me or my fetus needed that kind of stress

We've been very low contact the whole pregnancy to avoid any arguments, but last week he called again to bring it up, saying he won't force me to take the test but if I don't he doesn't want to be involved, I told him he's being unreasonable and he hung up.

I finally told my family about the whole thing yesterday, and it was very split. My mom and one of my sisters were on my side(but my mom's a conspiracy theorist and thinks the government wants their dna) while my dad, brother and other sister on his. My dad told me I can't expect a man to want to be involved without knowing 100 percent that it's his, while my mom thinks he should trust me as we were married for 3 years.

Most of my friends are on my side as well.

I thought I was right at first but now I'm really questioning. I really don't want the test, I heard it could hurt the baby. I don't know what to do. AITA?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

that's some really careful phrasing there :thunkher:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Foo Diddley posted:

that's some really careful phrasing there :thunkher:

At the time of ovulation

I see she uses the only catholic approved method of "birth control"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Hughlander posted:

Comments say that the condom broke. No mention of sleeping with anyone else six months ago, only that he was the only one during ovulation. And that a blood test for DNA can be dangerous for the baby.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

Comments say that the condom broke. No mention of sleeping with anyone else six months ago, only that he was the only one during ovulation. And that a blood test for DNA can be dangerous for the baby.

Also says he didn't specify whether it's a blood test during pregnancy or a swab after birth.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for wanting my daughter to make my wedding cake although my future husband is refusing?

quote:

I (F-36) have a daughter (F-16) who loves baking, and she's incredibly good at it. It's her passion since she was 3 and I encourage her to follow it and discover more ways to become better at it. I even enrolled her in few classes in academy to learn more.

I met my fiance (M-41) 2 and a half years ago. We're getting married soon. And for the wedding cake I had an idea which's to have my daughter bake the cake and decorate it for us. My daughter agreed and was so excited to do it. My fiance glanced at me when he heard about it then when we were alone he snapped and said "I can't believe you're being serious about this" I told him why not, it's not like we're having a huge formal wedding with many guests. Just a small party with our family and loved ones. He said this was a "loving joke" and that he will not let "a child" bake our wedding cake while there are tons of professional bakers out there who can make a much more decent looking/tasting one. I said I didn't understand the problem because I thought he loved her baking. He responded "I do love what she bakes but let's just stick to the muffins and brownies". I told him he was being unreasonable and that his words were hurtful to me and my daughter and her abilities. He told me to be more realistic and think about what the guests will say. again, I said all the guests are family and friends so I doubt they'd make any negative comments about the cake knowing my daughter made it. Matter of a fact, they might even think it's sweet. He got mad and said that there was nothing sweet about getting embarrassed on his wedding day. We argued for over 2 hours just going back and forth on the issue.

Later, I got a call from his mother telling me that I should start being rational and look at things from her son's prespective. She suggested we get a "professional" cake for the wedding then have my daughter maybe bake some cupcakes for the buffett or something. But I wasn't convinced and felt like they're deciding my wedding's plans for me and forcing what they want on me. I don't care how the cake will look but it's the sentiment I care about.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is a circumstance where a paternity test actually makes a lot of sense, what with them not being a couple. She's going to need one either way to get child support out of him if he decides to try and be a deadbeat. It's also pretty routine for babies to get blood drawn, but she may not realize that yet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for wanting my daughter to make my wedding cake although my future husband is refusing?

Wow that's really great that he outed himself as a jagoff before the marriage, think of all the time you'll save by not marrying him

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

He almost made it without exposing himself. So close.

E: fb

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

QuarkJets posted:

This is a circumstance where a paternity test actually makes a lot of sense, what with them not being a couple. She's going to need one either way to get child support out of him if he decides to try and be a deadbeat. It's also pretty routine for babies to get blood drawn, but she may not realize that yet.

OP posted:

I don't want to hurt my baby, I've heard even blood tests can be bad.

quote:

Anyone who told you that they're dangerous is working with seriously outdated info. They're fine, talk to your doctor for confirmation.

OP posted:

My doctor told me she didn't advise it

sure she did, OP :rolleyes:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes people just have crazy doctors, specially old ones. I had a perfectly normal friend who had a super old doctor who decided all the covid vaccines were super dangerous and untested and filled her head with unfounded fears and dangers. Now she's out protesting the government and has started to fall in with alt-right groups :(

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for agreeing to extend my work trip a week before my wife is due

quote:

My (40M) wife's (38F) official due date for our daughter is September 19, and this will be our first baby.

I work as an external auditor, and my job involves international travel. I had a non traditional education path so compared to my similarly junior coworkers I am quite a bit older and don't have the accolades and connections they may have. The perks of the job and the fact I work for a corporation many people interview at every year makes it easy for bosses to think they come first in your life and that we are under skilled and over paid. Therefore, I really want to show that I am a dependable worker and that if they are going to start "cutting the fat" so to speak, I will not be the one they are laying off.

While the job comes with a lot of perks, most of them are things we can only enjoy while working, like business class seats and nice free dinners when we travel or work after a certain time. The salary itself makes it so that my wife still has to work at least part time if we want to raise a family in NYC, have savings, and still stay afloat. My wife currently is not working and I feel like we are just one monthly paycheck away from not being able to pay our mortgage. And while she has basically accepted that her job field is hostile towards mothers and that she'll be content with staying at the junior level she is at, I feel like I need to climb the corporate ladder ( which I am still about two rungs from the bottom) and prove myself to be indispensable.

Work has had me in Europe for the past two weeks. One of the superiors with me is also my mentor who I really admire. I was supposed to fly home on Monday because they allowed me the next week and a half off. But he called me today and told me they really needed my help for something else for the next five business days. Days run late so my earliest flight out would be a sometime next Saturday afternoon. He said he'd be forever in my debt for this and that he'd fight for this to be reflected in my annual bonus. I sensed that he really would be really grateful and I've always been striving to earn his admiration, so after some thought, I agreed.

Now came the hard part and I called my wife to tell her. She was absolutely furious and cried over the phone saying she was already mad that this supposed family friendly firm sent me on this business trip but to extend it was insane. I told her that we'd be putting the extra bonus money in a college account and she could be happy to see it grow, but she refused to hear my reasoning. I told her I'd try to tell my mentor else had to close up the project and that I had to get a flight on Friday, but she started yelling that she could literally give birth tomorrow and called me a Neanderthal for not understanding. I told her it was for my career and our future. AITA? I feel like if I don't impress my higher ups somebody else will do so before I even walk on to a plane home.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Funktastic posted:

Yes, it's perfectly sensible to miss out on the birth of your child to gain the approval of a job that pays you enough to.. wait, "makes it so that my wife still has to work at least part time if we want to raise a family in NYC, have savings, and still stay afloat". :what:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah he is entirely within his rights to say “no paternity test, no money” and a court will also require a paternity test to overrule that. She’s going to have to decide whether avoiding baby blood draws or 18 years of financial support is more important

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Funktastic posted:

lmao the only thing OP has impressed upon his superiors is what a fuckin chump he is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not even promised a raise or a big fat bonus. Just a "I'll remember it when we think about bonuses" attaboy.

And the only thing the boss is gonna remember is that this guy is a doormat who's not gonna quit even if you give him the lowest bonus percentage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Who let Gilbert Gunderson post on Reddit, anyway?

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...who in the world would expect someone to agree to take care of their ex's kid financially or otherwise without a paternity test? How does anyone in her family think she's right about that?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for shutting down my wife's [23f] idea to save money by living in a cow barn?

quote:

I [24M] and my wife haven't had the best of times for the past couple years, and money is tight. I'm having to work basically a minimum-wage service job until something opens up in my industry, and she doesn't make much either. Usually food and rent is taking up most of our money each month, and since we want to start a family and have kids soon, we want to have some savings.

She recently told me that according to her best friends' friend, there's a farmer with a large farm 20-30 mins away, who will let acquaintances live in the stalls in the cow/pig barns for next to nothing, as long as you help with stall cleanings in the morning before leaving for work. Not sure if it's even legal to rent those out, but she seemed sort of enthusiastic about the idea.

From what she'd heard, there's adequate space, Wifi, the barns are climate controlled, and there's only 3-4 other people who have taken him up on it, trying to save money, and he can vouch for their good character so it wouldn't be a bunch of sketchy people there. Of course, there'd be a few hundred animal companions but I don't suppose those would steal our stuff.

I thought she was joking at first but she kept bringing it up. Saying she calculated how much we'd save, how we could just put an air mattress on the floor, we could get a Gym membership to shower, "we spend most of our time out of the house anyways so why are we paying rent," etc. I shut it down and said no way am I ever living in a cow barn or pig stall.

She seemed sort of offended that I wouldn't even consider it, saying it's partially my fault for losing my better-paying job and this would be an easy way to make up lost financial ground.

I said that there's just something sort of repulsive about the idea and I didn't think it would work out. She's never been to a farm, we're both suburbanites, does she even know what she's asking for? But then she said "well you've never been either, so you don't know either, you're being sort of closed minded."

AITA for not taking her suggestion seriously? She wants me to at least look more into it but somehow I can't bring myself to.

but how do you know it smells like pigshit? you've never been there

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for shutting down my wife's [23f] idea to save money by living in a cow barn?

but how do you know it smells like pigshit? you've never been there

This is a fixable problem. Bring her to an uncleaned pig stall. Let her smell pig poo poo. Problem solved.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh gently caress you. My father used to call the facility my uncle (mom’s brother) was in to report him for possibly having alcohol and weed on him whenever he was angry with my mother. The man was dying of AIDS, let him have whatever the gently caress he wants you unbelievable piece of poo poo.

what the gently caress. Your dad sounds like a loving treasure.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Get her some waterfront property with those pig mega farm runoff waste ponds

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not telling my wife I'm working late.

quote:

Throwaway because my family has reddit.

I honestly think she's overreacting, but I'll leave that up to you.

I (27M) am married to 'Julie' (25 F) and recently past 2 months our company has had alot of stress. This meant that I had to start working overtime along with some other employees. The first time I was asked I didn't tell my wife because I honestly didn't think it was a big deal and when she rang asking if I was alright, I told her the truth. She was understanding and asked when I was going to be home, I got annoyed because I thought she was labelling me as a cheater so I told her I'll be home when I'm home and hung up.

The rest of that week I stayed back late and after the first few days she called because I hadn't informed her that I was working overtime. I told her to stop bothering me and stop being so clingy and I wasn't cheating on her. She got really quiet and then simply said that she just made dinner and wanted to spend it with me. And after that she didn't call anymore, but she did get really quiet when I came home. But what did she expect me to do? Not work overtime?

Then two days ago it was our anniversary. She asked me in the morning if I was going to be hone for dinner and I told her that I didn't know. After that she got quiet, but I only told her the truth.

Anyways I was just about to finish for the day when my boss told me there was an urgent task and if it was possible for me to stay to get it finished, I agreed. There were no calls or texts from my wife, so I assumed that she realised that I was at work and was fine with it. When I got home she wasn't there but I got an angry call from my sister saying how selfish I was.

Apprantly, Julie had made my favourite meal and waited for me, but when I didn't come she left and went to my sister, who is really good friends with her. I told my sister that it wasn't any of her business and she should stay out of it, to which she replied that when my wife comes crying to her door at 10pm then it is her business and hung up.

I call my wife, annoyed she's making such a big deal about it when I already told her that I might not be able to make it. Julie answered and simply said "all I wanted was one day. One day. To celebrate our anniversary."

I told her that it wasn't a big deal and we could do another day, but she argued I was missing the point and told me that my dinner was in the fridge.

I got annoyed and told her she was completely overreacting and that there were so many worse husbands than me. That she didn't have to make my meal and should've just realised I wasn't coming home.

She hung up on me and hasn't been answering my texts since. My family keeps telling me that I'm an rear end in a top hat for what I did, but I totally think she's overreacting.

Aita reddit?

comment posted:

1. How were you able to trick a woman into marrying you?

2. You clearly don't like your wife.

3. She really should file for divorce

YTA.

OP posted:

I do like her, but spending dinner with her doesn't pay the bills. Divorce? That's seriously an overreaction, there are lots of husbands worse than me.

Way to sell yourself, OP!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

He's cheating on her.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotta stack up the reddit proof to be ready for the divorce court judge

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

Way to sell yourself, OP!

Oh, so this is who keeps buying "#10 from the Bottom Husband" coffee mugs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teen witch posted:

relitigate a covid lockdown derail and see what happens

But the CDC just released guidelines stating that fully vaccinated people can piss off Teen Witch a little as long as they're asymptomatic, as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, so this is who keeps buying "#10 from the Bottom Husband" coffee mugs.

Just because his Husbanding Above Replacement is negative doesn't mean he's bottom 10.