Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean there's no right answer - if he declined to go he'd be a monster, and if he went as so much as dared to crack a smile he'd be a monster. Weirdly not being invited seems to have been the best outcome for him.

I think at this point, none of us would blame him for being done with the whole shooting match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonnyR_Labour/status/1568591356380979200?t=u8aBe-iMaqUaihp8EyMcMA&s=19

(our local candidate who got hosed over for being pro corbyn, bit centre left but better than most)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ed Miliband used to come to my house to see if he could talk to my dad because me dad was/is idk a member of the Labour party.

No matter how many times we told him "dad's at work", he still thought 1pm on a weekday would be a good time to catch him

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I'm curious if I should have one if I watch TV for genuine technical reasons during WFH for a major broadcaster - I expect they definitely have a business license and nobody said anything (&they also offer tv/isp to us for free, which I don't use because I don't want them looking at my Internet use) but it does make me a bit nervous. Maybe I should ask, but not sure who.

e: Also I'm afraid the answer at lower management levels would be "are we not paying you enough" and result only in manager annoyance, but they definitely either have a business licence or are exempt somehow.

I used to work for the Beeb, and in my contract it stipulated I'd be sacked if caught watching TV at home without a TV license

This was way before WFH like now was possible though...

(I can probably guess who you work for but I'll keep it out of the thread)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ed Miliband used to come to my house to see if he could talk to my dad because me dad was/is idk a member of the Labour party.

No matter how many times we told him "dad's at work", he still thought 1pm on a weekday would be a good time to catch him

I did constituency/MP PA work for work experience and popping into Labour party member's houses at 1pm on a weekday sounds extremely familar to me.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/cynical_bathtub/status/1568533964993794050

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

During her inaugural address to departmental staff last Wednesday, Suella Braverman said a top priority would be stopping all Channel crossings. She has also asked all staff to watch “trashy TV” to help their “mental wellbeing”, a source said, specifically citing Channel 4’s Married at First Sight and First Dates as well as Love Island.

The latest series of the ITV2 show drew thousands of complaints about alleged misogynistic behaviour. Last month, the charity Women’s Aid highlighted issues including bullying and coercive control.

Sources familiar with Braverman’s address revealed she told them: “It’s important for people to look after their wellbeing. Best antidote [for work-related stress] is trashy TV.”

hmm seems we've tried all the rough and tumble options except sharks, so I guess sharks it is

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I thought Home Sec was supposed to turn you into a psychopath, not that you should start out as one.

The actual best antidote for work-related stress is reducing work-related stress, such as not being forced to implement cruel and unnecessary policies.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
soomeone at work shared an anecdote about majesty queen the day truss became Pm: apparently she liked to go for walks in the evening and she and her bodyguard got chatting to some american tourists who asked her if she had met the queen and majesty queen with her legendary cheeky wit said "naair ay cen't sey ay hev, but he has", like that, referring to her bodyguard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :allears:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Guavanaut posted:

Over the past 200-odd years they have quite cleverly hidden an entire Republic underneath the monarchy (to make sure that the paperwork of a modern state gets done) and then told everyone that it would be very hard to transition to one.

Yeah as an American looking at all this poo poo makes our setup seem positively straightforward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the home office people should be watching them shows where they follow cops and bailiffs around and watch them be dickheads?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

crispix posted:

soomeone at work shared an anecdote about majesty queen the day truss became Pm: apparently she liked to go for walks in the evening and she and her bodyguard got chatting to some american tourists who asked her if she had met the queen and majesty queen with her legendary cheeky wit said "naair ay cen't sey ay hev, but he has", like that, referring to her bodyguard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :allears:

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1567894552744271872?s=20&t=MMAkgtWiTPcEJDa6BmWwWA

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
hehehe ay'd lav to be a flay on thee worl :)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
well, ok then
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1568699000068673537?cxt=HHwWgsDUqbzbkcUrAAAA

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

WhatEvil posted:

So like, the bank holiday is gonna be taken out of your standard yearly holiday allowance, right? So it's not an "extra day off" it's just "now you have one less day of holiday you can take when you want", right?

Check your employment contract. Mine has the phrasing "x days annual leave per year, plus bank holidays" so while I won't know until I go into work on Monday I'm expecting to get that day as extra holiday, since they made it a real bank holiday. Whereas I could imagine a contract which didn't mention bank holidays at all, or had phrasing like "x days annual leave per year, which includes y bank holidays" would be poo poo outta luck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

least deranged royalist

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Reveilled posted:

Check your employment contract. Mine has the phrasing "x days annual leave per year, plus bank holidays" so while I won't know until I go into work on Monday I'm expecting to get that day as extra holiday, since they made it a real bank holiday. Whereas I could imagine a contract which didn't mention bank holidays at all, or had phrasing like "x days annual leave per year, which includes y bank holidays" would be poo poo outta luck.

Yeah, my contract (part-time) is (x days holiday + y days bank holidays)x hours on contract / 37.5
(ie we don't get whole bank holiday days off just pro-rata and as our normal everyone in the office day is a Monday and WFH the rest of the week, mostly we work the bank holidays and take our leave on days to suit us not some arbitrary former religious holidays).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Reveilled posted:

I mean I live in Canada and I'm out of work so doesn't apply to me anyway...

I believe it's still up in the air whether Canadians will get a public holiday for the funeral on the 19th.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/jasemonkey/status/1568710760615886851?s=20&t=fFPErSYh410gmvk3meMa-Q

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Unrealistic.

It suggests Truss could ever be cool in sports.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm absolutely certain that's exactly what it would sound like if a football hit Liz Truss in the head.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My experience is that you don't need a TV licence for anything because you can throw any post from Darlington straight in the bin and shout gently caress off through the letter box at the inspector

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 11, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably also true even if you know someone who lives in darlington tbh.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My thoughts exactly. I knew someone from Darlo 20 years ago and if I got anything in the post from him I'd want it x-rayed before I went near it

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Apropos of nothing, I used to work for Astra Zeneca and they had a small airport style x-ray machine in the post room.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So bank holidays. I work an hourly wage job (chef). We are generally open bank holidays, but always thought that they were taken into account in the amount of holiday hours I accrue?

So every 8.8 or whatever hours I work I get 1 hour payed holiday? Surely an extra one changes this equation slightly?

So 28 days a year is now 29, and as a percentage of a year at 9-5 that would have changed slightly?

Edit: think it's 12.07 %. But an extra day will throw that off

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 11, 2022

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
All this bullshit on the BBC tells me that she came up here to die in Scotland just so that it would lead to the events forcing it to look like we give a gently caress.

Astute viewers will notice that most of the crowds are journalists or tourists.

Edit: figuratively dragging her corpse down the motorway making it seem like it's a big city to city tour when it's actually just the main road from Balmoral to Edinburgh.

Thank gently caress I live on the southern side of Edinburgh and don't have to deal with the faff this'll cause on the motorway.

Kin fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 11, 2022

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ben Soosneb posted:

So bank holidays. I work an hourly wage job (chef). We are generally open bank holidays, but always thought that they were taken into account in the amount of holiday hours I accrue?

So every 8.8 or whatever hours I work I get 1 hour payed holiday? Surely an extra one changes this equation slightly?

So 28 days a year is now 29, and as a percentage of a year at 9-5 that would have changed slightly?

Edit: think it's 12.07 %. But an extra day will throw that off

It depends on the precise wording of your employment contract. Some are flexible if bank holidays change (most teachers or civil servants will have that) while others assume 8, or just don't mention them at all and give a total number of annual holidays.

My contract says 20 days plus 8 bank holidays, so guess I'm losing a day off for childcare :/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sometimes Charles tells me to do bad things.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gordonstoun is fairly near here, by Elgin, and it sounds deeply deranged even by independent school standards. Kids being made to take cold showers every day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You grind that hair up and snort it and you will become immortal, king bits can do that I heard.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You grind that hair up and snort it and you will become immortal, king bits can do that I heard.

I'm waiting for the fast and furious style motorway heist involving that glass coronation wagon, rocket boosters on a giant metal corgi and that massive lad pulling a chinook out of the air attached to a chain.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kin posted:

All this bullshit on the BBC tells me that she came up here to die in Scotland just so that it would lead to the events forcing it to look like we give a gently caress.

Astute viewers will notice that most of the crowds are journalists or tourists.

Edit: figuratively dragging her corpse down the motorway making it seem like it's a big city to city tour when it's actually just the main road from Balmoral to Edinburgh.

Thank gently caress I live on the southern side of Edinburgh and don't have to deal with the faff this'll cause on the motorway.

well they are scottish royalty

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Actually, you use to create clones of Charles to replace him whenever he gets a bit too rowdy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/skysarahjane/status/1568636711864762368

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
cryin while looking for air filters :britain:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fair way to own it. Mistakes happen

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

Mine says 33 days of annual leave inclusive of bank holidays, cheeky bastards. They did give us the extra day for the jubilee though.

E:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ed Milliband was doing yer mam

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Convex posted:

Fair way to own it. Mistakes happen

Nah, gently caress that. loving up on live it requires that you apologise on live TV at the same time slot. You can't make poo poo up and then apologise on twitter where nobody will see it and it won't get covered. Newspapers do this poo poo all the time. Massive front page lie and then an apology in tomorrow' newspaper in font 3 at the bottom of page 19.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Ed Milliband was doing yer mam

All I can see now is Ed Miliband doing his bacon sarnie face while eating Josuke Higashikata's mother's pussy. So now I hope that image is also stuck in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Was Corbyn actually not there, or was he just not at the front of the photo, so nobody saw him?