Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh that looks great, I've been holding onto iTunes on Windows so it might be time to move before I get forced off it by a software update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, I will try that! Didn't know they support audio side too these days.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

I want to get rid of Spotify. It is really getting to my nerves with all the crapware and hostile features. What are my options? Like, I want to host my own private Spotify for myself. I can probably make a PC with VM's and run some OS on one VM.

Which OS would be good for:
1. host audio files
2. stream said files to different devices

Which software would be good to listen to the music in different devices (android, windows etc).?

There is Plex for video content. Is there anything similar for audio content? Thanks.

I find Plex/Jellyfin/etc slightly awkward for playing music, so I'm currently using Airsonic-advanced as a fancy metadata wrapper for my music; Navidrome is also pretty and useful. Both can either play your music through a web browser, or on a mobile device using an airsonic-compatible app.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

spincube posted:

I find Plex/Jellyfin/etc slightly awkward for playing music, so I'm currently using Airsonic-advanced as a fancy metadata wrapper for my music; Navidrome is also pretty and useful. Both can either play your music through a web browser, or on a mobile device using an airsonic-compatible app.

I tried airsonic-advanced & navidrome and ended up going back to just plain 'ol Subsonic & dSub. I can't remember the reasons why I didn't end up using airsonic-advanced & navidrome though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ihmemies posted:

I want to get rid of Spotify. It is really getting to my nerves with all the crapware and hostile features. What are my options? Like, I want to host my own private Spotify for myself. I can probably make a PC with VM's and run some OS on one VM.

Which OS would be good for:
1. host audio files
2. stream said files to different devices

Which software would be good to listen to the music in different devices (android, windows etc).?

There is Plex for video content. Is there anything similar for audio content? Thanks.

Tidal is basically feature / artist parity and marginally less lovely, though still a paid service.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Are there any off-the-shelf whitebox cases or server chassis that make it reasonably easy to use risers with server motherboards?

Looking at this Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 and it’s real nice other than the PCIe slots are right next to the memory so anything that uses a full length card is going to impinge on the DIMMs. You can of course do a lot of things with shorty cards (there are short 1U m.2 adapters or sas modules f.ex) but risers would make it easier… even if you just kept the same slot placement but lifted the cards up a couple inches it’d be fine.

I don’t see how you can do a 16 slot Epyc in a EATX/EEATX other than that layout unfortunately, that seems like the only way to get 16 memory slots in a standard form factor. There is of course the ROMED8 series with only 8 slots with a more traditional CPU/pcie layout though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Server makers have all but given up trying to accommodate full length pcie cards in servers gen4 capable and above. 3/4 length if you're lucky!

In a previous life we did have the MZ32-AR0 boards and had a few slots connected to Gen4 switches via pcie ribbon cables rated for that. It was a molex cable but there are ones on amazon brand name "Linkup" that we also had good luck with. And then a bunch of metal spacer legs to stack the boards on a bench. It looked hideous. Massive fanout of nvme drives though!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Obviously it’s lolunsupported but can you use QAT on Epyc in say FreeBSD for ZFS acceleration?

Can you use any generation of Intel product? Like can Haswell-EP use the new 8970 accelerators? Or is QAT gen specifically tied to cpu architecture?

hardware tls handshake offload seems super useful, dump the ddos-able portion onto a card that handles it super fast. and of course it’s got some crypto ciphers that ZFS can use for checksumming right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Obviously it’s lolunsupported but can you use QAT on Epyc in say FreeBSD for ZFS acceleration?

Can you use any generation of Intel product? Like can Haswell-EP use the new 8970 accelerators? Or is QAT gen specifically tied to cpu architecture?

hardware tls handshake offload seems super useful, dump the ddos-able portion onto a card that handles it super fast. and of course it’s got some crypto ciphers that ZFS can use for checksumming right?
I don't know what you mean by unsupported, but yes - in FreeBSD, there's something called OpenCrypto, documented in crypto(9), which is a framework that connects drivers with libraries like qat(4), ossl(4), zlib(3), libarchive(3) as well as bits of code like ZFS.
QAT daughterboards might not work with EPYC, though - I vaguely recall hearing some rumours, but whether they turned out to be true I'm not having much luck finding out.

As for what generation works with what version, that's a bit in-flux - since May, various folks have been working on fixing things and importing a new version of the qat(4) driver directly from Intel and there's a review to add the newest generation of hardware too.
The driver that's currently in 12 and 13 was added by NetGate, but I believe it still hooked into OpenCrypto, so should work provided it supports your hardware.

Hardware TLS offload is better done via newer Mellanox NICs, as they ship with a chip that can be used to accelerate the whole thing (as I understand it; I haven't tried, but it's based on hearing Netflix talk about what they do to push ~800Gbps on prototype equipment).
As far as checksumming goes, it only works if you're using SHA512t256 or SHA256, as I don't think any other OpenZFS checksum can be hardware offloaded.

EDIT: Welp, I lied :smith:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 8, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a bunch of old external hard drives I need to go through and consolidate but I don’t have the original power supplies.

As an old out of touch casual computer user I’m wondering if there’s anything I need to look out for when picking out power supplies from the small pile of old ones I have. From what I’ve read most external drives are 12v, if the output is 12v and the plug fits is that good enough or am I going to foolishly fry my drives?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you somehow had a reversed polarity brick that could be bad, but I think the polarity is pretty standard. The only other thing to pay attention to would be current because under 1A probably won't spin up a 3.5" drive and 1A might not depending on the drive. Most 12V adapters I see for hard drives are rated for 2A, but more is not a problem.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 10, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Eletriarnation posted:

If you somehow had a reversed polarity brick that could be bad, but I think the polarity is pretty standard. The only other thing to pay attention to would be current because under 1A probably won't spin up a 3.5" drive and 1A might not depending on the drive. Most 12V adapters I see for hard drives are rated for 2A, but more is not a problem.

Thank you very much! :3: That’s great to know. I had been putting this off for too long and I’m relieved to finally get on top of it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there anything to indicate that Synology is gonna introduce a new NAS that supports hw accelerated transcoding in Plex again? I'm still on a 918+ because it's successors don't support this even tho I'd like something with a more capable CPU and more bays.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
why not a synology and some used HP micro desktop with an i5/i7 of some sort to run plex

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

spincube posted:

If you’re on a mobile device, check out PlexAmp.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there anything to indicate that Synology is gonna introduce a new NAS that supports hw accelerated transcoding in Plex again? I'm still on a 918+ because it's successors don't support this even tho I'd like something with a more capable CPU and more bays.

They're still making the Intel celeron-based ones that do transcoding, the DS920+ is intel based. The new AMD models with no transcode hardware seem to just be filling a specific niche / a limited thing during the silicon shortage.

As for when there might be a new synology model with something better than the Gemini Lake that are in the DS X20+, there's a newer 10th gen celeron series J64xx that would have improved video hardware. But I dunno when it'll be cheap enough for NAS devices because they're 10nm, so on a competitive node.

I dunno, if you want super high end transcode capabilities you should probably be looking at higher price ranges or building your own NAS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's no shortcuts when doing transcoding - if you want the highest quality for archival, you do it in software with CRF and the slower preset to utilize threading.
Hardware encoding is good if your encoding target has a high framerate at near-realtime, such as streaming video where you're trying to balance resolution vs bitrate vs compression artifacts.

Assuming it's possible to do CRF in hardware, something I'm not sure about but can't say for sure isn't, I don't think anyone's working on producing something capable of doing it because there doesn't seem much money in it.
The Venn diagram of "people who can program GPGPU assembly code" and "people who understand video encoding subtleties" probably looks like two separate circles except for the edges, and I don't know any of them that're interested in opensource.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It may also be more feasible to handle this at the other end and upgrade whatever device you're using for playback to something that can handle the native formats you are storing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's no shortcuts when doing transcoding - if you want the highest quality for archival, you do it in software with CRF and the slower preset to utilize threading.

People who want plex transcoding aren't doing it for high quality archiving, they've got a h265 encoded movie and want to watch it on a roku tv that only does h264 or something like that.

Thanks Ants posted:

It may also be more feasible to handle this at the other end and upgrade whatever device you're using for playback to something that can handle the native formats you are storing.

Yeah, though that may be harder than it sounds. I don't keep up with the :filez: scene but if people are starting to do AV1 encodes there's not a lot of devices with hardware for that still.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

People who want plex transcoding aren't doing it for high quality archiving, they've got a h265 encoded movie and want to watch it on a roku tv that only does h264 or something like that.
I guess? :shrug:

When you learn to see video compression artifacts from people picking too low a bitrate, you can't really unsee it. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm getting a bunch of data and I/o errors on my DS413 Synology, and have ordered a replacement 1522+ model and a fresh set of drives 4x8TB drives (3 in raid 5, plus a warm spare probably. in R6. Don't need more space than that.)

What's the best way to transfer the data? Gbit is going to take a while, but I can't see any real alternative at this point.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 10, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I'm getting a bunch of data and I/o errors on my DS413 Synology, and have ordered a replacement 1522+ model and a fresh set of drives 4x8TB drives (3 in raid 5, plus a warm spare probably. Don't need more space than that.)

What's the best way to transfer the data? Gbit is going to take a while, but I can't see any real alternative at this point.

A hotspare will do nothing for you when the second drive fails during rebuild, while RAID6 will still have your data available to you. Use RAID6. And take backups.

Transferring 16TB of data over gigabit is only 1.5 days or so, and there aren't many other alternatives unless you buy a larger NAS and move your old drives over, then transfer the data to a new array in the same NAS.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Wibla posted:

A hotspare will do nothing for you when the second drive fails during rebuild, while RAID6 will still have your data available to you. Use RAID6. And take backups.

Transferring 16TB of data over gigabit is only 1.5 days or so, and there aren't many other alternatives unless you buy a larger NAS and move your old drives over, then transfer the data to a new array in the same NAS.
Forgot about that. I suppose R6 is better in that case. I'll do that.

And sounds like just doing a normal transfer and resetting up the (minimal) share structure will work. Was just hoping for a shortcut. 😁

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Klyith posted:

This, but remote users. All my local devices directplay mostly everything but my remote users tend to have older gear and/or my internet is poo poo so hw encoding works great for pumping out light bitrate 720/1080p h264 streams. If they cared about quality they'd build their own setup.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i've got a synology 920+ and i've now moved to tucson, where there are a decent number of power outages. how imperative is it for me to get an upc? does the synology itself have decent protection for such things? sorry if this is stupid, but i'm rather clueless. i would imagine the synology itself doesn't have any such surge protection/blackout protection capabilities and would fall victim like any other computer, server, etc., but just wanted to make sure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

so i've got a synology 920+ and i've now moved to tucson, where there are a decent number of power outages. how imperative is it for me to get an upc? does the synology itself have decent protection for such things? sorry if this is stupid, but i'm rather clueless. i would imagine the synology itself doesn't have any such surge protection/blackout protection capabilities and would fall victim like any other computer, server, etc., but just wanted to make sure.

Get a UPS; plug your networking equipment and Synology into it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

danke schoen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

astral posted:

Get a UPS; plug your networking equipment and Synology into it.

Also, get one which you can connect to your network or directly via usb and which will work with the Synology. Obviously you'll need to run your router and any switches on the UPS as well so it can maintain the network if you choose the network option. You can setup your NAS to gracefully shut down if the UPS runs low on power rather than just cutting out.

I personally have the https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.3S550.html and it works great.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I've been transferring my data from old setup to new and had my SAS card disappear with following lines on the kernel.log:

Sep 11 08:29:03 kirous kernel: [131424.006533] mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)
Sep 11 08:29:03 kirous kernel: [131424.006550] mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)
Sep 11 08:29:03 kirous kernel: [131424.006579] mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)
Sep 11 08:29:03 kirous kernel: [131424.006602] mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)

Is this due to high temps? I resumed after I strapped a Noctua fan on the SAS HBA (LSI SAS2308), the card was too hot to touch so I assumed it was due to that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

ilkhan posted:

:words:

I transferred about 40TB over gigabit. Took a while, but it wasn’t like I needed the data to be instantaneously live so I just ignored it and checked in every morning till it finished.

If you got real obsessive, expansion cards for 2.5/5/10Gbe are options. Theoretically they unlock a workstation role as well especially if you go 10Gbe.

I considered that but never hard enough to figure it out since I don’t have that need.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rufius posted:

I transferred about 40TB over gigabit. Took a while, but it wasn’t like I needed the data to be instantaneously live so I just ignored it and checked in every morning till it finished.

If you got real obsessive, expansion cards for 2.5/5/10Gbe are options. Theoretically they unlock a workstation role as well especially if you go 10Gbe.

I considered that but never hard enough to figure it out since I don’t have that need.
I'm planning on adding the 10gbit nic to it, and a 10gbit nic on my desktop, but not ready to make that jump yet. My switch is 2.5gbit on 8 ports and 2 SFP+ ports, so that part is ready at least.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I had to move about 16TB off of an array and back recently to convert from mdadm RAID6 to RAIDZ2 and I just used rsync over gigabit to do it. You can even run it again once you're finished to quickly recheck everything for peace of mind.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
gently caress me, TrueNAS is stepping into this Web3 bullshit. I sure hope there's next to no significant development resources or other effort dedicated to this poo poo, other than token cloud sync support.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress me, TrueNAS is stepping into this Web3 bullshit. I sure hope there's next to no significant development resources or other effort dedicated to this poo poo, other than token cloud sync support.

Wut? Link?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

probably this: https://twitter.com/TrueNAS/status/1570102713651982336

storj storj storj storj storj

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rufius posted:

Wut? Link?
Click here to make all your dreams come true.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So how much of that 6.5PB of storage in storj is child porn do you think?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Well poo poo i was considering buying one, guess not :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005