Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Anti-Bunny posted:

Paid for the deck a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.

I just got my tracking info for my 512 from Monday. From what I understand in the US at least they batch them all and ship everything on Saturday.

Tracking says it’ll be here tomorrow but I just can’t trust fedex like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Anti-Bunny posted:

Paid for the deck a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.

Yeah I paid for mine Monday and it is still stuck on shipping soon. I'm definitely trying to push down the "is something wrong?!?!" anxiety monster and just be patient, but it's not easy.

I just want to play Viewtiful Joe :negative:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Opopanax posted:

Can anyone recommend a dock that has HDMI out, will charge the deck AND charge something else? I thought mine did but apparently the second USB is meant for a keyboard or something. I need to be able to charge peripherals, at least one but two ports would be great

I've been pretty happy with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C9HZ5YT

Has a few spare ports, is small, even has ethernet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Time from payment to shipping can take up to ten days. It happened to me but it did eventually ship. Hang in there, you’ll be sniffing that vent soon.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Steam Deck - I;m thinking about that vent

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tenkaris posted:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Time from payment to shipping can take up to ten days. It happened to me but it did eventually ship. Hang in there, you’ll be sniffing that vent soon.

While I understand this I also had to post a complaint in the thread to make it ship. The SA forums are kinda magic that way.

Expected arrival is this Thursday!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tenkaris posted:

because of you fuckers, I sniffed my vent. what have i become.

How do i go about swapping out my sd card? Do i need to make sure its named the same? I had an 8gb floating around so i installed emudeck as I was waiting on a 512 to show up. Do i just forget about it and redo the emu install? or can I just copy/name it the same and bingo/bango?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If there's ever going to be a Steak Deck gang tag, it should be something along the lines of "Vent Sniffers"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

deong posted:

because of you fuckers, I sniffed my vent. what have i become.

How do i go about swapping out my sd card? Do i need to make sure its named the same? I had an 8gb floating around so i installed emudeck as I was waiting on a 512 to show up. Do i just forget about it and redo the emu install? or can I just copy/name it the same and bingo/bango?

I’d just start fresh.

Like it’s possible to copy things over but it’s not quite as simple as that as a windows machine probably won’t be able to read the card.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If there's ever going to be a Steak Deck gang tag, it should be something along the lines of "Vent Sniffers"

I'd sniff a steak deck :coolfish:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just curious has anyone tried the windows playstation remote play app

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You'd probably have better luck with chiaki https://sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I did actually sniff my deck vent when it was piping hot and wasn’t that impressed, at least when compared to the taste of a switch cartridge

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

MarcusSA posted:

I’d just start fresh.

Like it’s possible to copy things over but it’s not quite as simple as that as a windows machine probably won’t be able to read the card.

Ive got an Ubuntu machine for what its worth. But ya, at 8gb, who cares. More a question of the future going from 512 to 2tb or what ever dumb poo poo i'll do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

deong posted:

Ive got an Ubuntu machine for what its worth. But ya, at 8gb, who cares. More a question of the future going from 512 to 2tb or what ever dumb poo poo i'll do.

Oh then yeah afaik you could just copy things over in that case.

I’d just format the new card in the deck then copy the old one over.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I am in awe at how good PS5 remote play is. Total game changer to have my whole PS5 backlog to play in bed, too.

Also if it weren't for steam deck I wouldn't have picked up Metal Gear Revengeance or Inscryption and they're both amazing.

So far The only disappointing thing on SD is emu deck but that's mostly because I've been too lazy to get it all customized.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but I just meant, like a no hassle way to access it right through the steam OS menu where you could, DL, play games etc. I meant it seems like Valve would be unlikely to want that on there, especially accessed directly through steam.

Speaking of, I guess there is really no such thing as an "app" (I mean games are obviously apps but you know what I mean, streaming, lifestyle stuff etc)for Steam OS at least at this point in time anyways.

It sounds like you are confusing/conflating Steam and SteamOS. You can install a program from desktop mode and add it to Steam. Desktop mode is still SteamOS.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I saw one in person today and these things are comically huge wtf

Much unlike my dick etc etc

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3398545888823804940

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ve had my deck for about a month now and it really is a fantastic handheld. I got the notice that I could order mine right as I was packing up to move. During the move, unpacking, and getting the house setup, it was my only gaming device for a while.

I’ve probably spent most of the time on it playing Cult of the Lamb, Slay the Spire, and Vampire Survivors.

I just started exploring non-Steam games and got WoW classic working in about 30 minutes. Getting used to the controls took a minute but it plays shockingly well. I’ve leveled a deathknight, done some raids and PvP without too many issues. If I was doing some very hard or content that required a really broad field of vision, it would probably be a bit more challenging. Not having a good way to use chat quickly sucks but discord works fine on the deck for voice.

Deck is great and easily the best handheld gaming experience. Makes me really laugh at how bad the stadia was by comparison.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

negativeneil posted:

I am in awe at how good PS5 remote play is. Total game changer to have my whole PS5 backlog to play in bed, too.

Also if it weren't for steam deck I wouldn't have picked up Metal Gear Revengeance or Inscryption and they're both amazing.

So far The only disappointing thing on SD is emu deck but that's mostly because I've been too lazy to get it all customized.

It really is fantastic with Chiaki, you can also crank the TDP all the way down with no perceptible impact to performance. With the PS5 connected to Ethernet and the Deck on WiFi, there wasn't much if any perceptible latency.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

homeless snail posted:

You'd probably have better luck with chiaki https://sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/

the online thing for getting your psn id in base64 is broken oh well

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

just run the linked python script

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sapozhnik posted:

I saw one in person today and these things are comically huge wtf

Much unlike my dick etc etc

I thought it was gonna be uncomfortable to hold based on the photos but it's surprisingly pleasant on the fingers, wrists, and forearms.

The Deck's good too.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is there a streamlined way to make steam shortcuts for Heroic Launcher gog games than with (some 3rd party bash? script? thing)?

I'm much preferring Lutris and gog installer files over HL at this point. (Lutris is great)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah you can do it straight from Heroic, just go into the app in desktop mode, find the game, click on it, then either Tools or Settings up top and there’s an Add to Steam option

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can't believe I missed that, thanks!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I tried to set up ps5 remote play on the deck last night but apparently the script to retrieve your PS5 account id broke like a week ago and no one's figured out how to fix it :(

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

For streaming: If Chiaki works perfectly, but moonlight/nvidia gamestream from my pc is a choppy mess, what are some tips on getting the latter up to speed? Guessing because chiaki works great it’s not my WiFi connection (pc and ps5 are Ethernet). Tried setting resolution to native, etc.

After trying to get lots of problem titles running via proton it seems like for those and for gamepass just streaming from my pc, which should theoretically have more juice than the console though I realize there are complications, might be way more chill if it can be made as smooth as the ps5 stream.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So for anyone who's been trying out yuzu, both on the steamdeck and off it, how do you keep it from going at double speed?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So for anyone who's been trying out yuzu, both on the steamdeck and off it, how do you keep it from going at double speed?

set the fps cap to 30 :v:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've been pretty happy with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C9HZ5YT

Has a few spare ports, is small, even has ethernet.

Good call on this! I'm returning the DockTek from the OP in favor of the Anker dock. You will always need a keyboard and mouse and I already had a USB C hub. It's great for the Steam Deck, but I really planning to use this for my work laptop most of the time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Cowman posted:

set the fps cap to 30 :v:

well, what confuses me there is the 'steady 60fps' mods are always highly recommended. Do people genuinely not care about the speed??

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone messed with xcom 2 yet? On the short list of games to try. I have it on switch but fps, loading, controls and lack of mods made it a horrid experience compared to pc. Hoping the steam deck gets pretty close to the m+kb experience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone messed with xcom 2 yet? On the short list of games to try. I have it on switch but fps, loading, controls and lack of mods made it a horrid experience compared to pc. Hoping the steam deck gets pretty close to the m+kb experience.

It has full controller support :shrug: you can also use the touch pads so it should work pretty ok.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had BL3 installed because I was going to play through it after I finished BL2.

BL3 was taking up 115 god drat gigs lol. It said the base install was like 75 gigs and it seemed like the other 40 gigs were shader stuff?

Anyway I just uninstalled it lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You made the right call

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is great, because I fell victim to the accidentally-unzipped case trap and dropped it a few feet. Now there’s a loose piece of plastic rattling around and the L1 bumper doesn’t feel quite right on the outside part. I’m all ready to get in there and fix it, but they aren’t shipping the L1 kit in Canada yet. Help me, iFixit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It has full controller support :shrug: you can also use the touch pads so it should work pretty ok.

Well yeah but controller is kind of rear end on XCOM is my point.