Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Star Trek: Roddenberry

A live covering of Gene getting the idea in the shower.

Paramount should so a Star Trek documentary in the vein of Light and Magic on Disney+. I would like to see the Trek equivalent of that part where it cuts between George Lucas and John Dykstra going

Lucas: I was leaving the studio angry every day because nothing was getting done.

Dykstra: We were putting in 18 hour days just building the stuff we needed to build the stuff we needed to make the movie because it literally didn't exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn the spore drive is a dumb loving concept

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hollismason posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I mean the concept of a jump drive in the Star Trek universe is interesting, making it run on mushrooms, however, is pretty :what:

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

A drive that can explore new reaches of the galaxy is a great concept. But I don't think discovery has used it for that even once on purpose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The secret ingredient is mushrooms

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

the mycelial network lol

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Also lol at whatever producer was like:

“MAKE IT SPIN!”
“Like how?”
“ALL MUST SPIN!”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Paramount should so a Star Trek documentary in the vein of Light and Magic on Disney+. I would like to see the Trek equivalent of that part where it cuts between George Lucas and John Dykstra going

Lucas: I was leaving the studio angry every day because nothing was getting done.

Dykstra: We were putting in 18 hour days just building the stuff we needed to build the stuff we needed to make the movie because it literally didn't exist yet.

Problem is that most of the principals involved are dead. Really, the closest we'll come is the Fifty-Year Mission books, and Return to Tomorrow by Preston Neal Jones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The BLACK ALERT voice was cool, however

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I for one absolutely believe mycelium could find some way to grow under the whole loving universe, but I'm less enthusiastic about routinely using it to teleport ships

What really should have happened is the mycelial network developed defenses against Discovery and every time they tried to jump it would just make them collectively hallucinate an adventure until the crew no longer felt any need to jump. Keep increasing the severity until one of the trips is fatal.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PerniciousKnid posted:

we're gonna get endless prequels of prequels at least until we meet present day.

Yup, and in fairness it's not just Star Trek. I read in the 'Who Greenlit This Movie' thread that Disney is going to do a Lion King prequel starring Mufasa. Hollywood is a feedback loop of creating nostalgia, making buck off of it and then selling your own nostalgia back to you.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The mushroom network would be less annoying if the character responsible for being its overlord or whatever wasn't named after the real life mushroom guy. In a show that names Elon Musk (ugh), did Stamets parents name him Paul knowing he'd grow up to be king of the mushroom realm? It's still dumb, though. However, oy vey the way they did it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hate it because it's taking the narratively interesting story and assuming there's infinite narratively interesting stories leading up to it and that's not always the case at all

The narratively interesting was built to be so, it's already structured around the parts of story that bring us tension and catharsis. Prequels never do anything but undermine those by setting things up too neatly. The unseen, unknown, unexpected all gets over-explained until a story that is by its nature just-so seems even more so.

Wendy's

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No wonder they got ambushed, their science officer is studying for a calculus test instead of doing his job!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Spock grading students' tests when he should be watching their backs :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

No wonder they got ambushed, their science officer is studying for a calculus test instead of doing his job!

As we've firmly established though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The spore drive is weird and cool and not even among the top 50 issues with Disco.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yup, and in fairness it's not just Star Trek. I read in the 'Who Greenlit This Movie' thread that Disney is going to do a Lion King prequel starring Mufasa. Hollywood is a feedback loop of creating nostalgia, making buck off of it and then selling your own nostalgia back to you.
Even better, the Mufasa movie is a prequel of a remake of another movie

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The spore drive is weird and cool and not even among the top 50 issues with Disco.
e: I agree that it is weirdly cool or cool in a weird way, but....

It's one of those can of worms things where they gotta make excuses why you can't use the spore drive to instantly solve problem x or problem y. It's like how transporters are blocked by everything from shields to particularly ornery coffee makers, or how the warp drive goes out every time a ship gets into combat; those things gotta be done so that danger can be injected into the plot. Except for the spore drive the sheer versatility and scale of it means they gotta make excuses as to why it doesn't work for X situation on a practically cosmic level.

It's like how everyone pretends that transporting to a ship light years away at warp speed never happened after ST09, because otherwise they'd have to write around it. A similar thing happened in Stargate with the infamous '3 shots disintegrates' guns; they just had to pretend that never happened so they didn't have to address it *every time they shot someone*.

On a personal level I also find it irritating that they found it necessary to make the Disco a special snowflake unique ship. The Enterprises have been the Federation flagships but they've never been intrinsically special; it's always that their crew has been the best.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 11, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Spore drive is loving dumb

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They could have just explained that all the spinning makes everybody on the ship barf and that's why it never went i to full production

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The spore drive is cool

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Spore drive is loving dumb

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I was going to joke "when are they going to make a Star Trek show set in present day but I guess they sorta just did that.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

On a personal level I also find it irritating that they found it necessary to make the Disco a special snowflake unique ship. The Enterprises have been the Federation flagships but they've never been intrinsically special; it's always that their crew has been the best.

Uh the Defiant has Starfleet's only legal-ish cloaking device.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yes, but, *a list of a thousand hypocritical excuses*

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I saw a clip from Picard and it looked like the Borg were using guns. As in firearms that fire bullets. Is that right? If so do they explain why they are using guns and not like beam weapons? Is it going to be because bullets bypass Borg shields even though the Borg are the only ones with adaptive shields?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Qpid is such an insane idea for an episode. Real TOS S3 vibe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I saw a clip from Picard and it looked like the Borg were using guns. As in firearms that fire bullets. Is that right? If so do they explain why they are using guns and not like beam weapons? Is it going to be because bullets bypass Borg shields even though the Borg are the only ones with adaptive shields?
So it's really stupid (which I can say for a lot from this show).

Dr. Soong's ancestor made a deal with the time-traveling Borg Queen, who basically took control over one of Picard's shipmates for reasons, that she would help him kill Picard and Co if she could be given access to their ship. Soong just out of the blue hires some mercs and the Queen kind of assimilates them (but it's really not the normal way of assimilation and doesn't really make sense) and that's why they have guns. This is supposed to take place in 2024.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

So it's really stupid (which I can say for a lot from this show).

Dr. Soong's ancestor made a deal with the time-traveling Borg Queen, who basically took control over one of Picard's shipmates for reasons, that she would help him kill Picard and Co if she could be given access to their ship. Soong just out of the blue hires some mercs and the Queen kind of assimilates them (but it's really not the normal way of assimilation and doesn't really make sense) and that's why they have guns. This is supposed to take place in 2024.

Thanks. "They have guns because they don't have access to sci-fi beam weapons" is actually a much more reasonable explanation than I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be that they just have guns because it's cool and edgy or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The mercs completely come out of nowhere. In one scene the Queen shows up in Soong's office, and then in the next they are both in some warehouse with these mercs who she proceeds to assimilate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The mercs completely come out of nowhere. In one scene the Queen shows up in Soong's office, and then in the next they are both in some warehouse with these mercs who she proceeds to assimilate.

They also somehow manage to get from Los Angeles, to La Barre, France in about 2 hours somehow without the excuse of having a transporter like Picard and co. do.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
SporeDrive.gif:

Edit: finding the above gif made me explore a rabbit hole called Swear Trek:

jeeves fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 11, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, the STVI 4k looks so so so much better than the old blu-ray. Watching it on my 110" screen with laser projector, so much more detail. Gone is the nasty DNR.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched the BR of the TMP Director's Edition, and drat, it's a good thing Star Trek: Phase II never happened because the guy who would have been Xon, the Spock replacement, was terrible as the Epsilon 9 commander. Real "reading off cue cards in an amateur production where he knows nothing about the context of his scene" energy.

There are actually quite a few wooden planks in the film, which shows that even one of the most expensive films ever made at the time with an A-list Oscar-winning director can struggle to find actors with the necessary chops to deliver a very specific kind of technical dialogue convincingly. Hell, Shatner's wife was in the cast and you'd think would be able to get tips on how to say a line like "Confirmed, vessel is floating free" without sounding like a text-to-speech program, but nope.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TMP wasn't as expensive as it is on paper, they rolled the costs for Phase II and Planet of the Titans into its budget for tax reasons.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

TMP wasn't as expensive as it is on paper, they rolled the costs for Phase II and Planet of the Titans into its budget for tax reasons.

And to give everyone who took points on net instead of points on gross a nasty haircut, lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I for one absolutely believe mycelium could find some way to grow under the whole loving universe, but I'm less enthusiastic about routinely using it to teleport ships

What really should have happened is the mycelial network developed defenses against Discovery and every time they tried to jump it would just make them collectively hallucinate an adventure until the crew no longer felt any need to jump. Keep increasing the severity until one of the trips is fatal.

This sets up the only acceptable ending for Discovery: anything after the first "spore jump" is actually the entire crew having a joint mushroom trip, which becomes increasingly dumb as their brains are getting fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well now they've made it so that they've duplicated the Spore Drive and built a second generation version that can be fitted on any ship as long as you have a navigator, which makes it make even less sense that this dumb 800 year old ship is in service any more, refit or no.