Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

People who act like any book, by virtue of being the specific object that is a book, is sacred. I love reading and I have plenty of books of my own but 99.9% of them really aren't that special. Multiple times now I've had people ask me for ideas on what to do with their surplus books nobody wants, and when I tell them that well if they're paperbacks the recycling system here allows you to put them in there, and with hardcovers you can do that if you remove the cover, and they immediately go oh no! I could never do that to a book! I'm sure I could donate them somewhere...

Well yeah, you could, but you already knew that and you haven't done it so I don't know what you were expecting me to say. I also don't know what you think second-hand bookstores/op-shops do with the piles of old mass-market paperbacks they get because ~books~ because I can assure you the bulk of them don't get sold. Nazi book-burning was bad because they were getting rid of information that didn't exist anywhere else, the mere act of destroying a book wasn't the main issue there and your uncle's stack of unwanted Dean Koontz novels is not the Hirschfield Institute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yes! It's a weirdly strong cultural thing. I had to throw some books away, rip off the covers and all. Obviously I knew no information was being destroyed and that's where the merit of those books is - in the information that is still replicated elsewhere, not in these particular physical objects - but it felt wrong.

I dunno if I judge people for it since clearly I have that feeling too.

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

I understand having that little culturally-instilled niggle about it, I had that too even when what I was ditching was a bunch of generic crime thriller novels my parents bought when visiting and then left behind, no investment in them whatsoever but there was still that little 'is this allowed??' voice when I was dumping them in the recycle bin.

The annoying part is how scandalised people were that I, a person who owns and even sometimes reads books, could possibly bring myself to do such a thing. It feels in the same vein as people who really want to make sure you know that they think physical books are The One True Way, they could never sully their experience with an ebook or audiobook, they just love books so goddamn much you understand. I know it feels weird buddy but you can do it, you can just put them in the bin.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Not spaying or neutering their pets.

Believing in urban legends. For example, the one about the person who died because they fell asleep in a tanning bed. Cause of death:cooked organs.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Bored posted:

Believing in urban legends. For example, the one about the person who died because they fell asleep in a tanning bed. Cause of death:cooked organs.

Over a hundred billion people have died. Surely one or two were cooked in a dodgy tanning bed.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

Icochet posted:

Over a hundred billion people have died. Surely one or two were cooked in a dodgy tanning bed.

Some utuber makercrator probably made a plasma blaster panini grill out of a tanning bed hooked up to 20 crt monitors.

And i would rather die than spend 5 minutes in a tanning bed so i'm gonna add my name to that wiki article.

Uuuhm when people absolutely will not eat another brand of thing. It does not taste right. It is only different you baby.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I use a nicotine vape. I know it’s not good for me, but I used to smoke tobacco and it’s helped me not do that. My city has a problem with bus services being canceled due to driver shortages, and last night I had an hour wait for the next not-canceled bus after my second job, so I decided to have a beer. The bar isn’t particularly busy, but has three outside tables for grotty nicotine fiends like me. Two were full with six or eight people, and the third just had one lady, so I asked if I could share the table with her. She said “not if you’re vaping, sorry, I have sensitive lungs”.

I absolutely judged that woman for sitting in the tiny smoking section, next to a group vaping, right on the busy late night street full of car fumes and passing tobacco smokers, and not sharing the space. gently caress off inside if you’re so delicate.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

trashbadger posted:

People who act like any book, by virtue of being the specific object that is a book, is sacred. I love reading and I have plenty of books of my own but 99.9% of them really aren't that special. Multiple times now I've had people ask me for ideas on what to do with their surplus books nobody wants, and when I tell them that well if they're paperbacks the recycling system here allows you to put them in there, and with hardcovers you can do that if you remove the cover, and they immediately go oh no! I could never do that to a book! I'm sure I could donate them somewhere...

Well yeah, you could, but you already knew that and you haven't done it so I don't know what you were expecting me to say. I also don't know what you think second-hand bookstores/op-shops do with the piles of old mass-market paperbacks they get because ~books~ because I can assure you the bulk of them don't get sold. Nazi book-burning was bad because they were getting rid of information that didn't exist anywhere else, the mere act of destroying a book wasn't the main issue there and your uncle's stack of unwanted Dean Koontz novels is not the Hirschfield Institute.

Yeah. Also, age in itself does not make books valuable. My FIL used to own an antiquarian bookshop and people were apparently constantly surprised that their family bibles from 19th century were not actually worth any money.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The berth ell pup crowd

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Part of the reason I hate destroying/recycling books is for a long time my main source of reading material outside libraries was dumpster-diving behind Barnes & Noble. It was always so sad seeing a full dumpster of books with the covers torn off :(

Nowadays if I have a few books to get rid of I'll put them up on NextDoor or similar; if someone's willing to drive over to pick up a box of pop-crap novels or whatever I can at least assume they're going to some sort of use.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Drimble Wedge posted:

Hitting capslock instead of shift to get a capital letter.

Then there's me: holding down shift when I want to type a sentence in caps.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

People who give a gently caress about the queen dying
HRH RIP LOL

I'm old enough to remember when Princess Di died. It was embarrassing as gently caress seeing supposedly normal people, in the streets crying and wailing like it mattered.

Unlike my grandmother, she didn't even make it to 100, the double digit loser.

Oh well at least there isn't much serious stuff to be dealing with, uuuuiggghhh

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Leper Go-getter posted:

Some utuber makercrator probably made a plasma blaster panini grill out of a tanning bed hooked up to 20 crt monitors.

And i would rather die than spend 5 minutes in a tanning bed so i'm gonna add my name to that wiki article.

Uuuhm when people absolutely will not eat another brand of thing. It does not taste right. It is only different you baby.

That's some wiley coyote poo poo right there and i judge you favorably for coming up with it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
People who refuse to use self checkout even though they aren't buying anything age-restricted. I have to use the standard checkout lines because I'm buying alcohol, but these motherfuckers are just clogging it up for the hell of it.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
People that use fake swear words like "darn", "shoot" or "gosh dang". You're an adult among adults, use adult words or something else equally appropriate.

It's especially annoying because this is Canada and swearing is normal. They only stopped allowing swears on our national radio in the 2010's.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Devils Affricate posted:

People who refuse to use self checkout even though they aren't buying anything age-restricted. I have to use the standard checkout lines because I'm buying alcohol, but these motherfuckers are just clogging it up for the hell of it.

I'm not using it gently caress off. There's more automation, there're fewer people getting paid, and nothing costs less. I'm not reinforcing that model and the moment i'm no longer able to checkout at a person i'm going to start walking out with things

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

MettleRamiel posted:

People that use fake swear words like "darn", "shoot" or "gosh dang". You're an adult among adults, use adult words or something else equally appropriate.

It's especially annoying because this is Canada and swearing is normal. They only stopped allowing swears on our national radio in the 2010's.

Counterpoint you should have more control over your language and stop cussing

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

people who don't swear can't be trusted

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Devils Affricate posted:

Unless you’re in a huge rush or only have a couple of items you should never use the self checkout. Algorithms dictate budgeted hours that managers can use to schedule workers so if you ever wonder why your local store is dirty or not stocked well or properly or never has anyone working anywhere, it’s because everybody uses the self checkout. Also if people flood a store with bad surveys about the state of the store and it taking too long to find people with keys so you can even get your merchandise, they will have more people available also, but it’s gotta be an extended stint of bad surveys.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

working retail should count as torture and we should replace as much of it with machines as possible

use the one staffed checkout if you want but if it's one of those stores where the line for self-checkout and staffed one are combined, let me go in front of you

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 11, 2022

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

scott zoloft posted:

I'm not using it gently caress off.

MettleRamiel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 11, 2022

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

scott zoloft posted:

I'm not using it gently caress off. There's more automation, there're fewer people getting paid, and nothing costs less. I'm not reinforcing that model and the moment i'm no longer able to checkout at a person i'm going to start walking out with things

Why do you want more people to waste their lives being a cashier?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

MettleRamiel posted:

scott zoloft posted:

I struggled to break my swearing habit when my kid was learning to talk and liked to repeat everything I said. So I say frickin and heckin like a schmuck. It’s honestly one of the most difficult things about being a parent. At least the kind of parent who doesn’t want their kid to talk like a Canadian broadcaster.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Methanar posted:

It’s more about having multinational corporations give just a smiiiidge more money back to the local economy since it is Hoovering up all the locals’ money both by undercutting everyone else in price or making it so no one else could really compete in the same town for low cost goods.

Walmart for instance will have stores in some locations specifically to keep other stores away. They’ll lose hundreds of thousands of dollars annually in a given store.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Methanar posted:

In a sensible world you wouldn't but in our world jobs being automated away means the former employee can no longer pay rent.

And prices don't go down either to give some benefit to people in aggregate since they can just take that money for themselves.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

scott zoloft posted:

The positions previously taken up by checkout cashiers are now filled by online orders and deliveries and whatnot. Stores are employing the same amount of people as always, just in different places.

The self-checkout is almost always faster and easier unless you have a HUGE amount of groceries too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Counterpoint: cashiers manning the checkout are slow as gently caress.

Back in the day, they'd scan everything lightning fast and you'd get out of there in no time.

These days? They are only useful if you need a time buffer for getting things back into the cart.

I think some stores use the slowest people in checkout on purpose.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Everyone, stop telling this guy about the benefits of the self checkout.

Every single old fart who interrupts your shopping to bother you about how he'll never use those self checkouts is another ludite who isn't taking up the self checkout line.

Let them waste their time standing in line

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The positions previously taken up by checkout cashiers are now filled by online orders and deliveries and whatnot. Stores are employing the same amount of people as always, just in different places.

The self-checkout is almost always faster and easier unless you have a HUGE amount of groceries too.

I actually kind of had direct confirmation of this - I was at Uniqlo buying socks and shirts and they went to 75% self-checkout (they have a much cooler/better method though), and the 1 cashier left was telling the person she was ringing up how it's kind of a big relief since it just means that 3 more employees can be doing other stuff like stocking/organizing and the like

They put RFID tags in the actual price tags, so you just dump your entire purchase in this huge bin and it scans everything and adds it up instantly. Whole transaction took like 30 seconds, including the time I spent looking at the screen to make sure it got everything right.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
What? The grocery store clerks are way faster at checkout than people at the self checkout.

Occasionally someone with a cartful of groceries will go through self-checkout and it takes ages for them to scan all of the barcodes and bag the groceries.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
The dorks that try to fanwank their way out of the eagles plothole in LotR.

Even Tolkien admitted it’s a mistake.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

silence_kit posted:

What? The grocery store clerks are way faster at checkout than people at the self checkout.

Occasionally someone with a cartful of groceries will go through self-checkout and it takes ages for them to scan all of the barcodes and bag the groceries.

Right, but the self-checkout line usually has numerous stations so waiting in line for it is faster than waiting for the maybe 2 cashier lanes that are open to scan through one person at a time.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you think automation is a bad thing, I'd like to know your opinion on the following technologies that also replaced direct human labor:
-tractors
-looms
-calculators
-engines
-printers/printing presses

Did these lead to fewer people being paid? Should they be abolished?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

MettleRamiel posted:

When you save the average level of the human refuge that talks like this constantly, I can understand why people make efforts to avoid it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Couple days back, but who hates using phonetic alphabets? It's a god send if the connection is spotty or the person is slow in the brain meats.

Like if you need to give a longer password string or instruction codes or whatever you just say "I'm switching to phonetic now" then give it to them, then ask them to recite it back to you to verify they got it right.

You can just use anything like names or whatnot ("M" as in "Mancy"), but using the NATO one is cooler because it lets you pretend you are a really sharp fighter pilot for a sec and not a call center drone.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the funny thing about supermarket self-checkouts is, most of the places around me have realized that they need to keep 2 or 3 people full-time just hanging around them because of how fucky they are, so really what even is the point

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Devils Affricate posted:

If you think automation is a bad thing, I'd like to know your opinion on the following technologies that also replaced direct human labor:
-tractors
-looms
-calculators
-engines
-printers/printing presses

Did these lead to fewer people being paid?
Yes

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah man labouring in the fields was definitely a lifestyle people liked and were sad to see go

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the funny thing about supermarket self-checkouts is, most of the places around me have realized that they need to keep 2 or 3 people full-time just hanging around them because of how fucky they are, so really what even is the point

The machines work fine for the most part, it's just that there are a lot of people who are too dumb to use them, which is also something that I absolutely judge people for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MettleRamiel posted:

I use "dang" and "heck" a lot but it's because 'drat' and 'hell' were made up by church weirdos and because "what the fuckin' heck?" and "wait a dang-fuckin' minute" are powerful phrases