Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Look, as a perfectly ordinary non-racist person, I think it’s hosed up that they cast black people to play characters that were described as dark-skinned in the original story. It flies completely in the face of the author’s vision

e: oh boy, what a terrible snipe. Please give all these lovely nerds swirlies, tia

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
its hosed up that the female dorfs dont have beards

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

its hosed up that the female dorfs dont have beards

And almost all the men have short hair. It's like they decided if they could be inclusive about color, they gotta hit the gender norms harder.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

And almost all the men have short hair. It's like they decided if they could be inclusive about color, they gotta hit the gender norms harder.

This is a pretty weird take tbh

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

some plague rats posted:

This is a pretty weird take tbh

It is not a take I am serious about, I'm just generally irritated at the character designs being particularly gender-normy hairwise. No lady dwarves with beards, all the dudes get short hair. In Tolkien of all things!

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Sep 11, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

It is not a take I am serious about, I'm just generally irritated at the character designs being particularly gender-normy hairwise. No lady dwarves with beards, all the dudes get short hair. In Tolkien of all things!

Oh this is a tolkein thing? It's been a while since I saw LOTR or the hobbit but didn't basically everyone have long hair?

Not to mention that if someone is going around saying that men having long hair contravenes gender norms I'm wondering how they got here from 1955

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

yeah what how do you make a lord of the rings without giving everyone luscious flowing hair everywhere

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

some plague rats posted:

Oh this is a tolkein thing? It's been a while since I saw LOTR or the hobbit but didn't basically everyone have long hair?

Not to mention that if someone is going around saying that men having long hair contravenes gender norms I'm wondering how they got here from 1955

Yeah, it is. Basically everyone in Tolkien has long hair, it's just how they do. It's weird not to have it, especially on the elves. Descriptions in the books often tend to go ON about their long hair, too.

Like I don't give a poo poo about dudes with long hair or not, I just don't know why you'd specifically give all the men short hair in a show like that unless you had weird ideas about masculinity. They lopped off all the hair on all the male elves but one that I saw. One of them was Elrond!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elrond with a buzz cut would be good if he also just acted like agent smith the whole movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wait, the Amazon Tolkein thing has short-haired dudes? That's an odd decision. I'd even call it dumb if cared more.

LOTR was inspired in part by Tolkein's work on Saxon and Viking stories written during the Golden Age of Long-Haired Dudes.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

OwlFancier posted:

Elrond with a buzz cut would be good if he also just acted like Will Smith the whole movie.

FTFY

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There are a bunch of long haired dudes in the show so I have no idea where that argument arises from

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There are a bunch of long haired dudes in the show so I have no idea where that argument arises from
Because it's empirical that they have a lot of short-hair dudes in a franchise famous for male characters with long hair. Makes 'em stand out, better for the wigs on the production side, gives 'em room to grow hair long-term and use that as a marketing gimmick, w/e. It's still true they put more short-haired dudes in it than the previous established average.

Seriously gently caress the diet Nazis using that show as a battleground for their dumb racist bullshit, but the weird way people aren't allowed to say "this poo poo ain't working for me" isn't helping either.

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

Oh my god I'm really grossed out by this guy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mind the walrus posted:

Because it's empirical that they have a lot of short-hair dudes in a franchise famous for male characters with long hair. Makes 'em stand out, better for the wigs on the production side, gives 'em room to grow hair long-term and use that as a marketing gimmick, w/e. It's still true they put more short-haired dudes in it than the previous established average.

Seriously gently caress the diet Nazis using that show as a battleground for their dumb racist bullshit, but the weird way people aren't allowed to say "this poo poo ain't working for me" isn't helping either.

:ok:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I don't understand why people care so much about what's essentially junk food for your brain that also makes rich people even more money.

Like, maybe try a hobby that isn't getting offended by a kids movie? It's the end of the world that a TV show has a scene that isn't catered to you personally? How pathetic is that? Go have sex or something. Even if it's just with your hand. Who cares. Just try caring about something other than pop culture trends. It's really loving lame.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
They could nose around libraries and bathrooms instead

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1568662407542878210

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Absolute goddamn brain worms.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How dare people celebrate America's invasion of Ukraine... err, excuse me, I've just been informed that America did not, in fact, invade Ukraine, but Russia did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

He's talking about pundits crowing about Ukraine. Or gently caress, what we did to Libya.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

He's talking about pundits crowing about Ukraine. Or gently caress, what we did to Libya.

Yeah I don't believe that for a second. What the gently caress media pundits claim to have been "radicalized" by Iraq?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah I don't believe that for a second.

Why not? That answer lines up with what he's been saying for years at this point, the amount of self-proclaimed leftists saying bloodthirsty poo poo about Ukraine absolutely bears his point out

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

some plague rats posted:

Why not? That answer lines up with what he's been saying for years at this point, the amount of self-proclaimed leftists saying bloodthirsty poo poo about Ukraine absolutely bears his point out

There are plenty of self-proclaimed leftists proclaiming their love for Putin and his unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, I agree.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat Vince that's an insanely annoying way to respond to what I said. you son of a bitch. I can't believe you did that

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

some plague rats posted:

Thank you for standing up for the orks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

some plague rats posted:

The absolutely bloodthirsty way many self-proclaimed leftists are responding to Mr. Hitler's minor incursion into Poland is a disgrace that lays bare their true nature.

Also for somebody who spent years whining about the world being too decorum poisoned, Matt Christman appears to be a slimy little decorum-clutching weasel himself when it suits him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I don't understand why people care so much about what's essentially junk food for your brain that also makes rich people even more money.

Like, maybe try a hobby that isn't getting offended by a kids movie? It's the end of the world that a TV show has a scene that isn't catered to you personally? How pathetic is that? Go have sex or something. Even if it's just with your hand. Who cares. Just try caring about something other than pop culture trends. It's really loving lame.

no

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

goblin week posted:

The right have never understood the difference between punching down and punching up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

goblin week posted:

Kinda weird to whip out a dehumanizing nickname for a specific group. Do you have any for the guys on the Ukrainian side wearing all the Nazi poo poo?

To be clear, I’m not defending Russia here. But I’m gonna call out the hypocrisy that the tweet is pointing out.

Boywhiz88 has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Sep 11, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Kinda weird to whip out a dehumanizing nickname for a specific group. Do you have any for the guys on the Ukrainian side wearing all the Nazi poo poo?

Yes, if there are nazis, we call them nazis, already one of the most dehumanizing and insulting things you can call someone. Much like when another militarized group is marching around killing civilians entirely for their ethnicity, we also call them an insulting and dehumanizing nickname.

Anyway please skip the song and dance and attempt to tell us how a right-wing minority in Ukraine somehow justify anything Russia's done to the country.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ok stop

Bring it to d&d or cspam

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boywhiz88 posted:

To be clear, I’m not defending Russia here. But I’m gonna call out the hypocrisy that the tweet is pointing out.

Something something goons with 88 in their usernames shouldn't throw stones

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ede95ekWAng

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean hobbies themselves are junk food for the brains, unless your one of those weirdos that turns everything you do into a side hustle

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

some plague rats posted:

I think the phenomenon you might be observing is that the people who got mad at imperialism when America did it, are now also mad when Russia is doing it. I'm a huge prick

E: Didn't see the mod post, awaiting hammer

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Even the most hosed up nazi scum ukrainian is more of a brother to me than any of you yankee fucks could ever strive to be. I don't expect you to understand, because you people never shared land with someone you wouldn't want to genocide.

e: ah drat it i got incensed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

goblin week posted:

Even the most hosed up nazi scum ukrainian is more of a brother to me than any of you yankee fucks could ever strive to be. I don't expect you to understand, because you people never shared land with someone you wouldn't want to genocide.

e: ah drat it i got incensed.

Sir, this is a Vkusno & tochka drive through.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Do…do you know what a Nazi is? Or what they do, because boy will you be in for a surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do…do you know what a Nazi is? Or what they do, because boy will you be in for a surprise

Yes! Yes, I do know, and I am aware of what they do, but it won't be the "ukrainian nazis" that will come to this country next after the invasion. Jesus christ. Not everyone is in the comfy situation where the war is a matter of Posting Without Sin where you absolutely have to hand it to both sides or you will risk becoming one of Them With Bad Takes. This year has absolutely shown me that for most goons and americans my region of the world is just set dressing to partition between the empires who deserve to take what they want.