Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

They should go MK style and Velma tries to rip off their mask but they aren't wearing one so she tears their face off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cohsae posted:

They should go MK style and Velma tries to rip off their mask but they aren't wearing one so she tears their face off

V E L M A L I T Y

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

cohsae posted:

I might actually play it if they did that.

Y O I N K I E S

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really feel bad for whoever manages their twitter account. But they really brought this on themselves.

https://twitter.com/ExploreIGO/status/1568673629856043010?s=20&t=GnLHuetSoJiLCQy-Mk57ig

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1568567288416112640

Tbh calling the cops seems like more of a Daphne move but the last Scooby Doo thing I watched was the movie from the early 2000's

Face clearly doesn't match

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skwirl posted:

I really feel bad for whoever manages their twitter account. But they really brought this on themselves.

https://twitter.com/ExploreIGO/status/1568673629856043010?s=20&t=GnLHuetSoJiLCQy-Mk57ig
Lots of comments recommending "Caelus" as the Roman counterpart to "Uranus" and well, today I learned one of the planets has a Greek name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

Lots of comments recommending "Caelus" as the Roman counterpart to "Uranus" and well, today I learned one of the planets has a Greek name.

All of them do? It's all Roman gods that are just Greek gods with different names.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And what language would a romanized version of a Greek god be in

Belan
May 7, 2007
They should just name it "The Probe" and be done with it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cohsae posted:

:bisonyes:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ExploreIGO/status/1568673956655427584

Fry_narrowing_eyes.png

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
This ones more of a dad joke

https://twitter.com/CThursten/status/1568561846713450496

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Holy crap, I remember seeing these illustrations as a kid in a book my aunt owned and I've always wondered what it was. I wasn't expecting the Tweets thread to solve that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cohsae posted:

Only slightly more violent than SWATing them.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pyf tweets so

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1569008824606130177?t=33uG3Ac8VjXK3bFsFTPbRw&s=19

It's a pretty big deal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1569011305138327552

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1569019232473731083

https://twitter.com/jtrain56/status/1568670633135046658

https://twitter.com/itsnashflynn/status/1568968869401841669

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1569013736790188035

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/shirtsthtgohard/status/1569002605849747458?t=Q6HZyhDVrhPsqyTnOXGT4g&s=19

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Meanwhile squirreled away in the middle aisle you can get 4 tins for £3.49, which is cheaper than the £4 Clubcard discount for members pictured here.

A big flashy display to convince people to hand over more of their money is exactly what Liz would have wanted.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Meanwhile squirreled away in the middle aisle you can get 4 tins for £3.49, which is cheaper than the £4 Clubcard discount for members pictured here.

A big flashy display to convince people to hand over more of their money is exactly what Liz would have wanted.

hosed!!!! bean fraud!!! burn it all!!!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That's a decent deal in these trying times.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

zoux posted:

Also you just become king instantly with no coronation? We make veeps take the oath of office before they replace a dead president.

Sir Terry Pratchett posted:

“The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FFT posted:

NGL, way more restraint than I thought possible in that thread.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

You know, if the person tormented in Omelas was royalty it would be a much less objectionable society...

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Terry was a goddamn international treasure and it still bums me out that we lost him. I wonder if those novels work at all in other languages. It seems like a transition nightmare to keep the feel/intent.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Milo and POTUS posted:

Face clearly doesn't match

The police don’t care.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Warbird posted:

Terry was a goddamn international treasure and it still bums me out that we lost him. I wonder if those novels work at all in other languages. It seems like a transition nightmare to keep the feel/intent.

Some attempts worked better than others:

https://lithub.com/the-time-terry-pratchetts-german-publisher-inserted-a-soup-ad-into-his-novel/

Also, copied from a reddit comment:

In the back of the first edition of The Discworld Companion (published in 1994) there's an interview with Terry. Amongst other things, he says he can't see himself still writing Discworld in 5 years time... There's also a question about translations:

The Discworld must be terribly difficult to translate. Do you have much to do with the translation?

I know the Spanish translator won a prize for The Colour of Magic! And someone attempted to translate The Colour of Magic into Polish, read the first page and said he didn't believe it was possible to think like that in Polish. I get on very well with the Dutch translator, who takes a kind of skewed delight in tracking down the 'right' words, and the German translator also contacts me quite regularly - someone recently told me that they thought Reaper Man was better in German, which is some kind of triumph for the translator. I do get some occasional enquiries from the others, but mostly the translators do their own thing. I don't envy them. A lot of foreign fans are bilingual, and it's hard to please everyone.

The book also contains a 'brief history of the Discworld,' which I think was mostly written by Stephen Briggs, though presumably with Terry's input, or at least his approval:

The Language Barrier: It's all Klatchian to Me

The Discworld books are translated into eighteen languages, including Japanese and Hebrew. They present astonishing pitfalls for the translator.

The problems are not (just) the puns, of which there are rather fewer than people imagine. In any case, puns are translatable; they might not be directly translatable, but the Discworld translators have to be adept at filleting an English pun from the text and replacing it with one that works in German or Spanish. What can loom in front of a translator like the proverbial radio on the edge of the bathtub of the future are the resonances and references.

Take Hogswatchnight, the Discworld winter festival. It's partly a pun on hog but also takes in 'Hogmanay' and the old Christian `Watch Night service on 31 December. Even if people don't directly spot this, it subconsciously inherits the feel of a midwinter festival.

Or there's the Morris Minor. To a Britisher 'an old lady who drives a Morris Minor' — and there's still a few of both around — is instantly recognisable as a 'type'. You could probably even have a stab at how many cats she has. What's the Finnish equivalent? The German equivalent?

Translators in the science fiction and fantasy field have an extra problem. SF in particular is dominated by the English — or at least the American — language. Fans in mainland European and Scandinavian countries must read in English if they're to keep up with the field. This means that a foreign translator is working under the eyes of readers who're often buying the book to see how it compares with the English version they already have.

Ruurd Groot has the daunting task of translating not only the plot but also the jokes in the Discworld series into Dutch. Translating a pun is difficult but not impossible, he says, as long as it is a pun in the strict ‘linguistic’ sense: making fun by crossing the semantic and formal wires of words or expressions. And even when it proves impossible to invent an. equivalent pun for the destination language, a deft translator may solve the problem by ‘compensating’ — introducing a pun for another word somewhere else in the sentence in such a way that the value of the original pun is restored.

Strangely, the similarity of the English and Dutch languages is not always helpful. Many Dutch words and expressions have been borrowed from English and, of course, the same thing has happened in reverse, especially i in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries; the English word ‘forlorn’, , for example, comes from the Dutch verloren = ‘lost’. The side effect of this circumstance is that many Dutch readers of Terry’s original English text do not always catch what he really wrote; words may look familiar, but meanings have changed with time.

In The Colour of Magic, Terry refers to the ‘Big Bang hypothesis’. Sadly for Ruurd, the erotic Bang-pun proved untranslatable. In Dutch, the theory translates as oerknal, which provides no hand-holds. However, they do refer to het uitdijend heelal — ‘the expanding universe’. Ruurd altered this slightly to the het Uitvrijend Model — sounding much the same — and which could be taken to mean ‘the Making Love Outwards Model’. When the author heard this he apparently sat there grinning and saying it’s the best-ever title for a scientific theory.

Much more difficult is the translation of jokes on local traditions or institutions well known to English readers. And there are special considerations here. Dutch readers of some sophistication (as readers of TP tend to be, it goes without saying) would never accept substituting a reference to a Dutch television series for a similar reference to a BBC serial.

Brits may blithely assume that everyone knows about morris dancing or ‘A’ levels, but it is the experience of the Dutch that most foreigners’ knowledge of their country tends to run. out somewhere south of the cheese, clogs and windmills department. Strangely enough, to a Dutch reader a reference to strictly Dutch ephemera would be jarring; they couldn’t imagine someone in Britain, let alone on the Discworld, being aware of them. Sad but true.

Translators for ‘large’ nationalities - German, French, and so on — can maintain the fiction that everyone else is German or French and just localize the jokes in question. ‘Small’ nationalities have to replace little items of English/British arcana by references to globally known international, or more famous English, items. On the Discworld, that most international, or rather interstellar, of locations, strictly English or British references are allowed in a Dutch translation only if they are globally known — like the works of Shakespeare in Wyrd Sisters.

Ruurd could rely on the fact that many Dutch people. know: Shakespeare, if only from television — played by British actors and subtitled in Dutch. But in Moving Pictures, problems.for the translator exceeded all reasonable proportions. The films referred to in the book are well enough known,but the average Dutch reader might not recognize many of the translated quotations from the dialogue.

In that case, he says, a translator can-rely on a harmless version of snob appeal. If someone doesn’t know or recognize something, the translator can write in a tone as.if anyone reading it of course will know all and... it turns out that they do ...

IK WEET-NIET WAT JIJ ERVAN VINDT, MAAR EEN BORD ROTTI ZOU ER WEL INGAAN

This is the closest that Ruurd could. get to Death’s line from Mort: ‘I DON’T KNOW ABOUT. YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.’ A line for line translation here is impossible: a different colonial past means that ‘curry’ is not a household word in Holland. Also ‘I could murder a...’ in the sense of ‘I could really enjoy a...' makes no sense in Dutch.

Casting aside. the avoidance of ‘localized’ Dutch expressions on this occasion, Ruurd opted for ‘rotti’. It is a near-funny word itself; having the same echo of ‘rotten’ as it-would in English. It belongs to the Surinam culinary tradition — Surinam having been. a small Dutch colony in South America. ‘Rotti’, like curry, is very hot stuff. Its mention in the context, with the vague implication that Surinam is cosmically more famous than the Netherlands, helps to replace for Dutch readers some of the fun lost during translation.

Granny Weatherwax, on the other-hand, presents no problems (at least, not yet: as Ruurd says, translators of a series have to try to avoid painting themselves into a corner). Her name translates. more literally into Opoe Esmee Wedersmeer, although Wéerwas. would be more direct. Weder is ye olde form of the word weer, meaning ‘weather’. The smeer part is a word used for greasy substances as applied to shoes or cart axles, but also for the stuff secreted in our ear passages (earwax = oorsmeer). There is an etymological link with the English word ‘smear’. Ruurd felt that the ordinary word in Dutch for ‘wax’ — was — seemed less suitable, as being too ordinary.

'Esmee' is, as in English, short for Esmerelda, and Ope is an obsolete endearing way of addressing grandmothers in Dutch. The term is still used to refer to certain old-fashioned ladies' bike - opoefietsen = 'granny bikes.'

This has overtones of the 'Morris Minor' ... you see? They have one after-all...

And finally, while googling, I came across an interesting issue with the french translation of Weatherwax. In French she's translated as "Mémé Circdutemps" a literal, grammatically correct translation. In the English Witches Abroad, Lilith goes by the name "Lilith du Tempscrire" (a grammatically bad translation of Weatherwax). This is a subtle hint to English readers, but if the name was used in the French books it would be a bit on the nose, so in French translations Lilith is known as Lilith Weatherwax.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/Red__Tim/status/1568894254117691392

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

thepopmonster posted:

Some attempts worked better than others:

https://lithub.com/the-time-terry-pratchetts-german-publisher-inserted-a-soup-ad-into-his-novel/

Also, copied from a reddit comment:

In the back of the first edition of The Discworld Companion (published in 1994) there's an interview with Terry. Amongst other things, he says he can't see himself still writing Discworld in 5 years time... There's also a question about translations:

The Discworld must be terribly difficult to translate. Do you have much to do with the translation?

I know the Spanish translator won a prize for The Colour of Magic! And someone attempted to translate The Colour of Magic into Polish, read the first page and said he didn't believe it was possible to think like that in Polish. I get on very well with the Dutch translator, who takes a kind of skewed delight in tracking down the 'right' words, and the German translator also contacts me quite regularly - someone recently told me that they thought Reaper Man was better in German, which is some kind of triumph for the translator. I do get some occasional enquiries from the others, but mostly the translators do their own thing. I don't envy them. A lot of foreign fans are bilingual, and it's hard to please everyone.

The book also contains a 'brief history of the Discworld,' which I think was mostly written by Stephen Briggs, though presumably with Terry's input, or at least his approval:

The Language Barrier: It's all Klatchian to Me

The Discworld books are translated into eighteen languages, including Japanese and Hebrew. They present astonishing pitfalls for the translator.

The problems are not (just) the puns, of which there are rather fewer than people imagine. In any case, puns are translatable; they might not be directly translatable, but the Discworld translators have to be adept at filleting an English pun from the text and replacing it with one that works in German or Spanish. What can loom in front of a translator like the proverbial radio on the edge of the bathtub of the future are the resonances and references.

Take Hogswatchnight, the Discworld winter festival. It's partly a pun on hog but also takes in 'Hogmanay' and the old Christian `Watch Night service on 31 December. Even if people don't directly spot this, it subconsciously inherits the feel of a midwinter festival.

Or there's the Morris Minor. To a Britisher 'an old lady who drives a Morris Minor' — and there's still a few of both around — is instantly recognisable as a 'type'. You could probably even have a stab at how many cats she has. What's the Finnish equivalent? The German equivalent?

Translators in the science fiction and fantasy field have an extra problem. SF in particular is dominated by the English — or at least the American — language. Fans in mainland European and Scandinavian countries must read in English if they're to keep up with the field. This means that a foreign translator is working under the eyes of readers who're often buying the book to see how it compares with the English version they already have.

Ruurd Groot has the daunting task of translating not only the plot but also the jokes in the Discworld series into Dutch. Translating a pun is difficult but not impossible, he says, as long as it is a pun in the strict ‘linguistic’ sense: making fun by crossing the semantic and formal wires of words or expressions. And even when it proves impossible to invent an. equivalent pun for the destination language, a deft translator may solve the problem by ‘compensating’ — introducing a pun for another word somewhere else in the sentence in such a way that the value of the original pun is restored.

Strangely, the similarity of the English and Dutch languages is not always helpful. Many Dutch words and expressions have been borrowed from English and, of course, the same thing has happened in reverse, especially i in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries; the English word ‘forlorn’, , for example, comes from the Dutch verloren = ‘lost’. The side effect of this circumstance is that many Dutch readers of Terry’s original English text do not always catch what he really wrote; words may look familiar, but meanings have changed with time.

In The Colour of Magic, Terry refers to the ‘Big Bang hypothesis’. Sadly for Ruurd, the erotic Bang-pun proved untranslatable. In Dutch, the theory translates as oerknal, which provides no hand-holds. However, they do refer to het uitdijend heelal — ‘the expanding universe’. Ruurd altered this slightly to the het Uitvrijend Model — sounding much the same — and which could be taken to mean ‘the Making Love Outwards Model’. When the author heard this he apparently sat there grinning and saying it’s the best-ever title for a scientific theory.

Much more difficult is the translation of jokes on local traditions or institutions well known to English readers. And there are special considerations here. Dutch readers of some sophistication (as readers of TP tend to be, it goes without saying) would never accept substituting a reference to a Dutch television series for a similar reference to a BBC serial.

Brits may blithely assume that everyone knows about morris dancing or ‘A’ levels, but it is the experience of the Dutch that most foreigners’ knowledge of their country tends to run. out somewhere south of the cheese, clogs and windmills department. Strangely enough, to a Dutch reader a reference to strictly Dutch ephemera would be jarring; they couldn’t imagine someone in Britain, let alone on the Discworld, being aware of them. Sad but true.

Translators for ‘large’ nationalities - German, French, and so on — can maintain the fiction that everyone else is German or French and just localize the jokes in question. ‘Small’ nationalities have to replace little items of English/British arcana by references to globally known international, or more famous English, items. On the Discworld, that most international, or rather interstellar, of locations, strictly English or British references are allowed in a Dutch translation only if they are globally known — like the works of Shakespeare in Wyrd Sisters.

Ruurd could rely on the fact that many Dutch people. know: Shakespeare, if only from television — played by British actors and subtitled in Dutch. But in Moving Pictures, problems.for the translator exceeded all reasonable proportions. The films referred to in the book are well enough known,but the average Dutch reader might not recognize many of the translated quotations from the dialogue.

In that case, he says, a translator can-rely on a harmless version of snob appeal. If someone doesn’t know or recognize something, the translator can write in a tone as.if anyone reading it of course will know all and... it turns out that they do ...

IK WEET-NIET WAT JIJ ERVAN VINDT, MAAR EEN BORD ROTTI ZOU ER WEL INGAAN

This is the closest that Ruurd could. get to Death’s line from Mort: ‘I DON’T KNOW ABOUT. YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.’ A line for line translation here is impossible: a different colonial past means that ‘curry’ is not a household word in Holland. Also ‘I could murder a...’ in the sense of ‘I could really enjoy a...' makes no sense in Dutch.

Casting aside. the avoidance of ‘localized’ Dutch expressions on this occasion, Ruurd opted for ‘rotti’. It is a near-funny word itself; having the same echo of ‘rotten’ as it-would in English. It belongs to the Surinam culinary tradition — Surinam having been. a small Dutch colony in South America. ‘Rotti’, like curry, is very hot stuff. Its mention in the context, with the vague implication that Surinam is cosmically more famous than the Netherlands, helps to replace for Dutch readers some of the fun lost during translation.

Granny Weatherwax, on the other-hand, presents no problems (at least, not yet: as Ruurd says, translators of a series have to try to avoid painting themselves into a corner). Her name translates. more literally into Opoe Esmee Wedersmeer, although Wéerwas. would be more direct. Weder is ye olde form of the word weer, meaning ‘weather’. The smeer part is a word used for greasy substances as applied to shoes or cart axles, but also for the stuff secreted in our ear passages (earwax = oorsmeer). There is an etymological link with the English word ‘smear’. Ruurd felt that the ordinary word in Dutch for ‘wax’ — was — seemed less suitable, as being too ordinary.

'Esmee' is, as in English, short for Esmerelda, and Ope is an obsolete endearing way of addressing grandmothers in Dutch. The term is still used to refer to certain old-fashioned ladies' bike - opoefietsen = 'granny bikes.'

This has overtones of the 'Morris Minor' ... you see? They have one after-all...

And finally, while googling, I came across an interesting issue with the french translation of Weatherwax. In French she's translated as "Mémé Circdutemps" a literal, grammatically correct translation. In the English Witches Abroad, Lilith goes by the name "Lilith du Tempscrire" (a grammatically bad translation of Weatherwax). This is a subtle hint to English readers, but if the name was used in the French books it would be a bit on the nose, so in French translations Lilith is known as Lilith Weatherwax.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You really ought to, they're very good books.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This is my new canonical cover to The Color of Magic now.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

good lord I'm glad I'm not the only person who made this connection

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ban this sick filth

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Biplane posted:

ban this sick filth

Tl;dr

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/1569024032510513155

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Vomit_Dragon/status/1569020344194990081?s=20&t=R573k_UKxBR2wT1rp5eVag

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I cannot believe this post is only a few months old, it seems eternal. :allears:
https://twitter.com/liminalfunnycat/status/1523906986181488645?lang=en

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

I cannot believe this post is only a few months old, it seems eternal. :allears:
https://twitter.com/liminalfunnycat/status/1523906986181488645?lang=en

It seems exhausting to speak with that accent all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

grittyreboot posted:

It seems exhausting to speak with that accent all the time

Hey, hey everyone! This person is minging.