Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I wonder how often Suits tell Kurtzman to do a crossover because fans love Marvel and he had to explain that every Trek show is in a different time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"So? Captain America was world war 2, those other dudes are in space, and there's like, Vikings. You can do it!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, we'd like you to put boy bands on the Enterprise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When are we getting a Trek show in the "touring band with special powers" genre

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I know this is the TV IV a thread but it had the posts about TWoK in theaters.

(Thanks for which, BTW; fun seeing the movie, especially the few deleted scenes, even the one of the Enterprise and the Reliant hanging still in space around the Regula moon like a MST3K 'special' effect. Got to go with my daughter, who had seen it many years ago as a preteen, and now recognized the pop culture references/homages in the movie. I also made my wife promise after the movie that if she survives me, whoever delivers my eulogy must include the "his soul was the most *herk* human" line.)

Does anyone know about plans to release the other movies through Fathom events or the like into theaters for limited runs? I haven't seen my favorite (VI, which edges out II IMO on genre points) in ages, never in the theater, and would kill for a big screen version of Christopher Plummer in his Klingon makeup whirling around in his captain's chair quoting Shakespeare. Best part of all would be that if it followed the same plan as TWoK it would have the cut parts with Major West and the missing plot points.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Brawnfire posted:

That happened in TOS with the space hippies lead by the warden from Ernest Goes To Jail.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

That 80s country singer can be the front man.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Veotax
May 16, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I wonder how often Suits tell Kurtzman to do a crossover because fans love Marvel and he had to explain that every Trek show is in a different time period.

We're getting a crossover with Lower Decks in season 2 of Strange New Worlds. The actors who play Mariner and Boimler on LWD are playing them in live action on SNW. So probably a wacky time travel story or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Data and Geordi were crazy for this one. They set it on a couple of crates in engineering with no safety equipment and turned it on a MW continuous discharge. Enough that if someone walked through the beam it would explode their torso.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Data and Geordi were crazy for this one. They set it on a couple of crates in engineering with no safety equipment and turned it on a MW continuous discharge. Enough that if someone walked through the beam it would explode their torso.

At least they pointed it away from the warp core.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Imagine if the ship shook, good thing that never happens.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmrs9GYkbqg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know in retrospect it's crazy how many times they showed a Nebula class bridge that wasn't just the Enterprise bridge. They're obviously the same design from the outside. Yet they keep redressing random rooms as bridges. Just take the plaque off the wall and shoot on the bridge set!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

You know in retrospect it's crazy how many times they showed a Nebula class bridge that wasn't just the Enterprise bridge. They're obviously the same design from the outside. Yet they keep redressing random rooms as bridges. Just take the plaque off the wall and shoot on the bridge set!
Most of the time when it was another Starfleet ship's bridge they would just use the battle bridge set

For example, the bridge of the Enterprise-C in 'Yesterday's Enterprise' was a redress of the battle bridge

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most of the time when it was another Starfleet ship's bridge they would just use the battle bridge set

For example, the bridge of the Enterprise-C in 'Yesterday's Enterprise' was a redress of the battle bridge

Yeah, they'd wasted all that money on the Battle Bridge set and used it like three times over the course of the show as intended, so they had to get some more use out of it somehow, so basically every guest ship used the Battle Bridge set as its main bridge.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One thing I appreciated about rewatching TWOK in the theater was the lighting on the redressed bridge set for Enterprise and Reliant. The choice to show the "good" ship shaded in the dark, even when they weren't at Red Alert or battle damaged vs the "bad" Reliant bridge of Khan being brightly lit was an interesting one. You would have thought they'd have done the opposite.

I also did notice that in the first attack Reliant has angry red lights front and center. :psylon:

I was also thinking about the Ceti Alpha show. In the (as always) uncanon novels about Khan, they had backstory that while on CA V after the disaster, they moved their cargo pods over natural caves where they lived and got water (plus that was where they left the Reliant crew). Makes more sense than imagining them living 15 years in a couple box trailers.

Also and perhaps more important, over the years they had kids who grew up fast due to superior genetics, and all the original gen of Supermen besides Khan died. This explains why all the rest of his crew looked like kids, why the only named crewman of the Botany Bay in the show and movie (besides Khan), Joachim, looks so different. It also made for a great unsaid parallel--his crew was about the same age as the cadets in Enterprise.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 12, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, they'd wasted all that money on the Battle Bridge set and used it like three times over the course of the show as intended, so they had to get some more use out of it somehow, so basically every guest ship used the Battle Bridge set as its main bridge.

Other way round, the battle bridge itself was a redress of the movie bridge.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah but the Sunderland and Pegasus bridge sets are clearly a random room slapped together with some consoles. When they showed the Yamato they used the main bridge set. Why not again?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Other way round, the battle bridge itself was a redress of the movie bridge.

https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1307699754391023617

So it is. Huh. Never knew that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I don't know what it is, but that set always looked so small on TNG. Maybe it was because they had to cram everybody closer together to frame for 4:3?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
When was the last time the TMP bridge was used on screen? I'll accept answers for its use as a complete set and for random bits that appeared on camera.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't see an obvious reason why you couldn't make this in powerpoint and it would be difficult enough to chain the animations together properly that that person should rightfully be the king of powerpoint

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I got to the last episode of Star Trek TNG and honestly its a really drat good season Finale and a better movie than Generations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Astroman posted:

One thing I appreciated about rewatching TWOK in the theater was the lighting on the redressed bridge set for Enterprise and Reliant. The choice to show the "good" ship shaded in the dark, even when they weren't at Red Alert or battle damaged vs the "bad" Reliant bridge of Khan being brightly lit was an interesting one. You would have thought they'd have done the opposite.

I also did notice that in the first attack Reliant has angry red lights front and center. :psylon:

I was also thinking about the Ceti Alpha show. In the (as always) uncanon novels about Khan, they had backstory that while on CA V after the disaster, they moved their cargo pods over natural caves where they lived and got water (plus that was where they left the Reliant crew). Makes more sense than imagining them living 15 years in a couple box trailers.

Also and perhaps more important, over the years they had kids who grew up fast due to superior genetics, and all the original gen of Supermen besides Khan died. This explains why all the rest of his crew looked like kids, why the only named crewman of the Botany Bay in the show and movie (besides Khan), Joachim, looks so different. It also made for a great unsaid parallel--his crew was about the same age as the cadets in Enterprise.

since it was announced as part of "star trek day" i wonder if the new nick meyer ceti alpha audioplays are gonna be canon

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They'll be canon until they aren't.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If they are a canon I will shoot my heart out upon them

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Joachim was in TWOK, Joaquin was in Space Seed. Are they the same person? Maybe, maybe not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Well I got to the last episode of Star Trek TNG and honestly its a really drat good season Finale and a better movie than Generations.

Moore and Braga wrote All Good Things and Generations basically at the same time and watching them in tandem with each other really shows you where their hearts was between the two projects.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah but the Sunderland and Pegasus bridge sets are clearly a random room slapped together with some consoles. When they showed the Yamato they used the main bridge set. Why not again?

I agree! Nebula class gettin no respect, with those rinky dink cramped closets for bridges

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pegasus I can understand but you'd think they'd use the Galaxy bridge for the Nebulas since they're sister ships of the same generation with the same bridge module on the outside. Maybe swap out the tactical horseshoe for a slightly less cool looking rail or something if the set allowed.

At least by Voyager they had a decent second-ship bridge set up they could tweak and reuse for the Nova and Prometheus, with the nice sunken helm and a full ring of wall LCARS stations.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 12, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My favorite bridge redresses are when you see alternate timeline/future versions of the D and the bridge just has random boxes glued to the walls that don't even colour match the existing set.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't really get the whole Chris Pine drama thing but this made me laugh
https://twitter.com/triptucker/status/1567932935986348034?s=20&t=7H0I2TEYslPmgPlZtfFX5w

it was people thinking that musician Harry Styles spit on Chris Pine, which i can only imagine created a divergent slash fandom that never existed before.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

My favorite bridge redresses are when you see alternate timeline/future versions of the D and the bridge just has random boxes glued to the walls that don't even colour match the existing set.
Yeah they liked gluing a large box to the console behind Picard

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Why didn't Starfleet station Betazoids at every asset or location of high value to act as Founder-detectors?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

THE INFO SCREENS ARE NOW GRAY BUMPY PANELS

PLEASE DO NOT QUESTION FUTURE DESIGN

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also we wear belts now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At least Generations went whole hog and added more stations (with no safety rail!)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And getting to that front side seat when someone's sitting in the back side seat is a bit of a challenge. (Or even when someone isn't sitting there).

But that's more that they would've needed to widen the bridge to do it properly with space for all that and they couldn't rebuild it that much.

They could've tucked the side stations in a bit more so the seat was a bit inside the cubby as well, maybe.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

At least Generations went whole hog and added more stations (with no safety rail!)

Those steps in front of the captain’s chair were also new right

That seems like a bad idea in terms of filming, they look easy to trip over