Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Danny Ketch needs to get some spotlight. He's still the best Ghost Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They could do the ghost rider legacy thing where there are multiple riders through out time. You have Johnny has 60s-80s then Danny is 90s-00s and robbie is more recent.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That would be cool too.

I just never cared for Blaze. Ketch was my Ghost Rider growing up and I like him a whole lot more. I still remember reading that first issue when I was a kid and it was so cool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think (a) the approach to pre Disney+ tv is for now “we don’t have to contradict it, we don’t have to acknowledge it, it just is” and that will remain the case until someone says “I really wanna do something different with X”.

And (b) when they do Ghost Rider they’ll wanna go with the classic motorcycle version. I kind of assumed Agents or SHIELD did Reyes because they wanted to save the more recognizable one for later.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Ketch and Reyes team up to defeat Blaze who’s currently the king of hell and trying to invade earth.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was Robbie in AoS but either Blaze or Danny cameoed and have gave him his power (its not clear which but one of them) so either one is definitely open, even if we assume AoS is still in continuity which is a pretty big If

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
re:Thunderbolts: I certainly wasn’t expecting a faithful adaptation of any particular lineup from the comics, but it’s still pretty underwhelming that, Ghost excepted, all of the team is Cap/Black Widow characters, and whose powers (if any) are limited to variations on being a bit stronger than normal and good at fighting. Hopefully there are some more diverse characters who haven’t been revealed yet

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barry Convex posted:

re:Thunderbolts: I certainly wasn’t expecting a faithful adaptation of any particular lineup from the comics, but it’s still pretty underwhelming that, Ghost excepted, all of the team is Cap/Black Widow characters, and whose powers (if any) are limited to variations on being a bit stronger than normal and good at fighting. Hopefully there are some more diverse characters who haven’t been revealed yet

This team absolutely does not need more characters on it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Team is worth it for having Yelena, Red Guardian, and Winter Soldier together.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny how it's a Black Widow, the Winter Soldier, the Red Guardian, another Red Room assassin and then US Agent (and Ghost). A bunch of Soviet/Russian agents and a former Captain America.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AoS used Robbie as the regular appearance, but established Johnny existed and I think Coulson became a Ghost Rider at the end?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Coulson's was a one time deal, to set a trap. Much like with all the other non-Feige shows, AoS can probably be very loosely considered as canon until it definitively isn't. It's a comic book universe; I'd think we know better than to decide it isn't canon just because we have questions about how it fits into continuity.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've never seen AOS but I guess everyone assumed the Netflix shows weren't canon anymore and then they just went and folded them in and are doing Born Again. Is there anything in AOS which is irreconcilable with what they've done continuity wise?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yes, but also no. For instance, the Darkhold is in AoS. It looks different? Well, it changes shape. But Agatha has it, you say? Even within AoS/Runaways it's been going from person to person. But maybe the Agatha series will establish that Agatha's had it for a long time? Well, maybe the AoS one was a knockoff copy and that's why it looks different.

Basically, yeah there's stuff that needs reconciling, but nothing that requires an excuse stupider than the retcons that comics writers have come up with in the past.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Something about the pandemic took the part of me that goes out away. Part of it is just getting older I guess. The friends who used to live up the street and could go to the movies with me have lives/moved away now. So now I lag behind in the MCU for the first time since Incredible Hulk. I wish my brain could work differently just a little, because now I've seen Love & Thunder, but my place to talk about it (here) has moved on. I apologize for talking about old news.

I hate Korg. I wish Ragnarok didn't make him a thing, because I hate him in Endgame and hate him in this one too. I really liked Gorr actually. Not super familiar with the comics version, so I dunno if it translated well. But I thought Bale gave it socks. Happy to see Herc.

I thought overall the movie was solid. Surprised to know this is one people were largely negative on. It wasn't fantastic, but it never reached Dark World levels of boring. Some jokes didn't land, sure. Could feel trying to hit the same highs as Ragnarok. But it was never awful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No, it was great, I loved it. But I feel you on the not going to the movies anymore. I used to go at least weekly during the spring-summer action movie fest and now I've only gone out for the marvel movies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I hate Korg. I wish Ragnarok didn't make him a thing, because I hate him in Endgame and hate him in this one too.

I liked Korg in Ragnarok and Endgame but I think that they definitely did too much with him in L&T. Too much of a good thing and all that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think that’s the theme of Love and Thunder, pushing the boundary on how many jokes or goofiness to add in. When I think of the movie the first thing I think about is how much I hated hearing that goat sound every time they were on screen.

I enjoyed the movie but it was a complacent enjoyment.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If video games have taught me anything about Norse mythology it’s that having a disembodied talking head is A Thing there so having it be Korg was fun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taika gave himself more screen time and it was a bad idea.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Saw this L&T deleted scene on YouTube. How much different would it have had to be for this to work?

https://youtu.be/Hv9WiVJvV_Q

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1568690195972890626
Unsurprised about this discourse for this

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's not new. I think I recall Hulk had an issue back in like the 70s where he Hulks out on Sabra because she (killed/abetted the killing of/lead to the killing of/something like that) a Palestinian child. "Boy dead because your books say kill over land! Kill instead of share! Boy didn't even read books! Now boy dead!" I'll be curious to see if Marvel has the sack to address any of this.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
If they do address it, it will be the ballsiest loving thing Marvel ever does, and frankly I don't think they're ready for that.

But if they don't, then it will completely undercut all the good stuff they did with Sam and Isiah confronting America's institutional racism in FatWS. Stuff they look to be continuing with the return of Isiah in NWO.

They've got to know that including her and then not addressing the one issue people expect to come up would be a lose-lose. It would be better to just not put her on screen than include her and then play it straight as an Israeli superhero. So... surely that means they will *try* and address the topic?

I mean, I'm interested in where they go with this, but hoo boy I ain't reading any more replies to anything about that film until it comes out.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think a lot of the discourse is also calling the title New World Order which I forget outside pro-wrestling can be pretty sus in political thrillers

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

achillesforever6 posted:

I think a lot of the discourse is also calling the title New World Order which I forget outside pro-wrestling can be pretty sus in political thrillers

I was about to gently disagree with this but opened Twitter and within 10 seconds saw a tweet going "it's called WHAT?" and yeah people are going to be so weird about this. All of this.

Stay safe out there, goons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're not going to address it and you all need to be ready for that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if it's anything like f/ws the Palestinian bad guy will make a good point at the beginning but then they will try and murder a bunch of people showing that actually the occupation is a good thing, and then they die and sam makes a speech telling the Israelis maybe just try not shooting as many kids on live tv

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they're calling it New World Order and the Leader is in it, I expect it to have something with the Intelligencia attempting to take over the world.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Arist posted:

They're not going to address it and you all need to be ready for that

They should just offhandedly mention that Israel and Palestine reached a t really great ruce during the snap and signed a treaty in New Asgard. Nobody needs to see the MCU take on specific issues.

On the cinema front, backyard movies are much better than watching movies indoors, and safer/less anxiety than movie theaters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They certainly might address it because they addressed a lot of that kind of stuff on the show with Sam. But they also didn’t really go hard on any of it so they’re definitely not gonna go hard on it here either. So like maybe an address to the victims of another country’s military actions and agendas as Sabra is either a foil or sympathetic party to Sam but they’re not gonna be all “Boycott Israel!” so people are still gonna be very mad.

Of course that means this is all a cia op to advance the Zionist movement but also an anti semitic world domination conspiracy theory because I have no critical thinking skills and conspirators always plainly label their scenes with the conspiracy theory.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

Taika gave himself more screen time and it was a bad idea.

This feeling is why I think it rubbed me the wrong way. Like a DM who has a favorite NPC they keep sticking into your adventure in D&D.

The goats were annoying too, yeah.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's ironic that one of the main complaints about the MCU is that it stifles directors and one of the main complaints about Love and Thunder is that it's too much Waititi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

They should just offhandedly mention that Israel and Palestine reached a t really great ruce during the snap and signed a treaty in New Asgard. Nobody needs to see the MCU take on specific issues.

On the cinema front, backyard movies are much better than watching movies indoors, and safer/less anxiety than movie theaters.

Pfft, you’re statistically way more likely to get shot in your yard than a theater.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

Pfft, you’re statistically way more likely to get shot in your yard than a theater.

I did actually have a skunk wander under my seat while watching once, and that's never happened in a movie theater. Or maybe it does and its just too dark to tell?
Anyway it's still a fun time for all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He doesn't have much, if any at all, of a say over movies but the head of Marvel still gets a say in general tone and he was literally Trump's personal advisor on Israeli relations. Marvel isn't portraying Israel as anything less than sterling.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

The goats were annoying too, yeah.

Just watched this and after everyone talking about how annoying they were I kept expecting the goat schtick to get old but it really didn’t.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He doesn't have much, if any at all, of a say over movies but the head of Marvel still gets a say in general tone and he was literally Trump's personal advisor on Israeli relations. Marvel isn't portraying Israel as anything less than sterling.

Nah, he doesn't get a say in anything with the movies anymore. Feige threatened to walk if he had to keep working for him, and Disney restructured so Feige is the guy who makes all the calls for Marvel now.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SonicRulez posted:

I hate Korg. I wish Ragnarok didn't make him a thing, because I hate him in Endgame and hate him in this one too. I really liked Gorr actually. Not super familiar with the comics version, so I dunno if it translated well. But I thought Bale gave it socks. Happy to see Herc.

The comic story Gorr is in is much more epic but it's a fine adaptation of him I thought. That story probably would be extremely difficult to do in just one movie. It's worth checking out it's one of if not the best Thor runs that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Everyone should read Aaron’s Thor run.