Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Toupee Groupie posted:

but you are not the originator of the story, only referencing part of it.

you can get sued for libel/slander/defamation for repeating or (re)publishing what others say btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can just say defamation

You never have to say libel or slander ever again

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

You never have to say libel or slander ever again

some lawyers are libel to say just about anything after enough liquor

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Does law school include classes on trolling?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you want to see an epic benchslapping, read this thread on the Musk/Twitter battle in the Delaware Chancery court.

https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1567532505506381825

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my legal question is why am I off pace for the year despite working so much that I am practically falling asleep in my office.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

my legal question is why am I off pace for the year despite working so much that I am practically falling asleep in my office.

Billing efficiency?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

failing to think about the case while pooping, making your pooping billable

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents in Northern California sold a single-family house they owned, and self-financed the loan. The people who bought it have failed to make payments on the loan for the last few months. They asked a lawyer how to handle it, the lawyer referred them to a loan servicing company. Is that really the best way to deal with it? Is there a particular type of lawyer that would be good to talk to in this situation (they were previously talking to a real estate attorney, so I'm not sure if that's the best or not)?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They did what now ???

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Did they do anything to secure the loan, like filing a lien or mortgage or trust deed against the house? Or getting a security agreement? Did they at least make sure the financing agreement was in writing? Did they comply with federal lending laws? Or California ones? Oh jesus this is a glorious clusterfuck.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Did they do anything to secure the loan, like filing a lien or mortgage or trust deed against the house? Or getting a security agreement? Did they at least make sure the financing agreement was in writing? Did they comply with federal lending laws? Or California ones? Oh jesus this is a glorious clusterfuck.

euphronius posted:

They did what now ???

This was all done through a lawyer and a real estate agent and a title company, it was an owner-financed mortgage; everything was above board.

I didn't think it was a great idea at the time, but it wasn't my house.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So .. do they still have the title or deed to the house ?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

So .. do they still have the title or deed to the house ?
Yup.

When they were doing this, it was made clear that if they had to foreclose, the house would fully revert to my parents, which is why I didn't object more strenuously.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 11, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Call more layers . Prepare to write checks to same.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, if this was properly done then they just need to decide what they want to do-if it’s send nasty grams or foreclose. If it’s foreclose, they should call a lawyer who does foreclosures for bug mortgage companies. Most title companies will know the local law firms that do foreclosure work and can give them a reference.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, if this was properly done then they just need to decide what they want to do-if it’s send nasty grams or foreclose. If it’s foreclose, they should call a lawyer who does foreclosures for bug mortgage companies. Most title companies will know the local law firms that do foreclosure work and can give them a reference.

Please tell me about the bug mortgage companies.

Probably the lawyer told them to get a loan servicing company because they would be able to make sure all the proper notices went out at the right times for a lot less money than paying a lawyer to do it.

Is it a mortgage, a rent to own, or a contract for deed? That probably matters.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Probably the lawyer told them to get a loan servicing company because they would be able to make sure all the proper notices went out at the right times for a lot less money than paying a lawyer to do it.

Is it a mortgage, a rent to own, or a contract for deed? That probably matters.

I'm pretty sure it's just a mortgage; it had a down payment, and they were making monthly payments until they cleared out the debt, at which point they'd get the deed/title.

Arcturas posted:

I hadn't thought to ask the title companies. Thank you.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

therobit posted:

Mr. Cooper is actually a wasp.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How does a deed/mortgage normally work in California? Is it titled to and the deed held by the bank? Or held by the buyer with a recorded mortgage? Or some other combination of title/deed holder/liens?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Deed of trust is normal in California. Legal title goes to a title company, equitable title goes to the homeowner. Bank can do a nonjudicial foreclosure on default and have the title company sell it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Arcturas posted:

Mr. Cooper is actually a wasp.

My mortgage got moved over there and they won’t leave me the gently caress alone. I’ve had it on autopay for like 5 years and I still get constant mail and calls.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dumb question: is there any difference between an attorney and a lawyer, or is it a historical quirk

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dumb question: is there any difference between an attorney and a lawyer, or is it a historical quirk

Not in the US.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A lawyer is anyone with a JD
An attorney is a licensed lawyer who is allowed to represent people as a attorney-at-law (distinct from an attorney-in-fact) in the local courts

Attorney comes from the old Law French which means something like “person assigned or appointed (to represent)”

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
No one really cares, but my recollection from the last pedantry I heard on this is that lawyers is the universe of people licensed to practice law, and attorneys are the subset of lawyers who offer legal representation to others. So under this definition, say a licensed lawyer who solely does regulatory work for the government might not also be an attorney. Same for someone doing contracts management, doc review, in-house but relying on outside counsel for litigation, etc.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
I have a JD, and am pretty sure I am not a lawyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For example while president Barack Obama was a lawyer but not an attorney

Or for example a legislative aide to a Senator for example is a lawyer but not an attorney

Or someone who has been disbarred is still a lawyer but not an attorney

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yes, but I'm not in the US.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A judge is (usually) a lawyer but never an attorney

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

A lawyer is anyone with a JD
An attorney is a licensed lawyer who is allowed to represent people as a attorney-at-law (distinct from an attorney-in-fact) in the local courts

Attorney comes from the old Law French which means something like “person assigned or appointed (to represent)”

someone who has not passed the bar but has a JD is not a lawyer and can't hold themselves out as one

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They can’t sell themselves as lawyers for consumer protection reasons yes but they are still lawyers . There are tons of lawyers who can not actually practice law in the sense of having clients

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For example if I traveled to California , I could not be an attorney there (or as you say sell my services as a lawyer ) but I am still a lawyer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Law professors are another example of people that are lawyers but not attorneys (except for adjunct who may be )

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Then there's the blood ritual to sign the satanic contract of course, gotta mention that. It's real spooky. Gotta say "objection" three times in the mirror and stuff.

If you don't go through with it though, you get demoted to simple paralegal activity

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Are honorary JDs ever handed out?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nonexistence posted:

No one really cares, but my recollection from the last pedantry I heard on this is that lawyers is the universe of people licensed to practice law, and attorneys are the subset of lawyers who offer legal representation to others. So under this definition, say a licensed lawyer who solely does regulatory work for the government might not also be an attorney. Same for someone doing contracts management, doc review, in-house but relying on outside counsel for litigation, etc.

This makes sens, thanks

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yes, but I'm not in the US.

huh. What is the difference in whatever country you're in?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Now ask about Esquire, Scrivener, Counselor and Solicitor

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I need to know abiut scrivener :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Azuth0667 posted:

I need to know abiut scrivener :allears:

You would prefer not to.