Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

girl dick energy posted:

I don't know Reaper ... well enough yet to be confident doing a guide for them.

I was bored and like reaper so

Only applies for lv 70 when it's unlocked, but everything after that is relatively easy to understand as it comes out.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Only applies for lv 70 when it's unlocked, but everything after that is relatively easy to understand as it comes out.
Rad.

Here's a fixed SAM one.

And a GNB on where I used their simple buttons as an excuse to give a few major "tanking as GNB" tips.

Edit: Fixed an incorrect GNB icon that someone kindly pointed out.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 11, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That reminds me as a tank do I want to weave in my dash attack whenever it's up or save it for when there's a mechanic that creates some distance between me and the boss?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Electric Phantasm posted:

That reminds me as a tank do I want to weave in my dash attack whenever it's up or save it for when there's a mechanic that creates some distance between me and the boss?

Depends on the fight, ideal DPS is to use it on cooldown but if you know you'll need it for movement then save it. If you don't know whether or not you'll need it, doesn't hurt to save a charge just in case.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

For gunbreaker you have two charges on the dash and in an ideal world you'll use them both during the 20seconds of no mercy. With a 30second cool down for each charge you should then be able to use two in each subsequent no mercy without ever leaving the skill off cool down

However if using your dash outside no mercy gives you more uptime on the boss that's normally worth it, but it's a case by case basis.

Personally I dislike linking movement skills to damage and would prefer if all jobs had damage taken off their mobility tools, like monk and dancer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh it used to be worse, there was at least one job that had a stun tied to its charge, I think it was Monk but don't quote me on this.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bard has a backflip that used to do damage but doesn't anymore. I've actually never used it. You still need to target an enemy to use it, unlike Dragoon's, so I just never got around to having it as a thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alxprit posted:

Bard has a backflip that used to do damage but doesn't anymore. I've actually never used it. You still need to target an enemy to use it, unlike Dragoon's, so I just never got around to having it as a thing.
Red Mage's still requires a target, but at least that one shares charges with a similar non-movement power, so you can decide which version to use, and using it to get further away before you start casting again is genuinely helpful.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah the RDM reversal charge is really useful for bouncing out of enemy AOEs centered on the boss that you don't want to cuddle up to them, just don't use it on Titan.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Oh it used to be worse, there was at least one job that had a stun tied to its charge, I think it was Monk but don't quote me on this.
Yes, Shoulder Tackle was the MNK charge and it used to have a stun attached that was removed in ShB (it also had a minimum range in ARR).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Oh yeah the RDM reversal charge is really useful for bouncing out of enemy AOEs centered on the boss that you don't want to cuddle up to them, just don't use it on Titan.
"Hey guys, look, I'm a Dragoon!" *flip flip flip, SPLAT*

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm having a lot of fun playing as a Samurai, feels much more active than lancer/drg did, and like you all said, pretty intuitive once you get the moves sorted. Lokking forward to trying Gunblades at 60.

Do you have to be a certain Guild rank or whatever to get access to these Hunt bounties?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm having a lot of fun playing as a Samurai, feels much more active than lancer/drg did, and like you all said, pretty intuitive once you get the moves sorted. Lokking forward to trying Gunblades at 60.

Do you have to be a certain Guild rank or whatever to get access to these Hunt bounties?
They unlock with a quest from your Grand Company if your rank is 2nd lieutenant or higher. In the base game, you unlock all hunt mark bills at once at your GC, in expansions there will be four tiers of unlock quests tied to level and MSQ progression.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Cool, ty. God everyone in Coerthas is so loving miserable, and this music ain't helping.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The music in Coerthas Central Highlands as a whole is good but the town music kinda sucks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm having a lot of fun playing as a Samurai, feels much more active than lancer/drg did, and like you all said, pretty intuitive once you get the moves sorted.

It's funny, cus I feel the exact opposite and I'm not sure why. I enjoyed samurai at first but got bored with the routine "get three stickers, spend em all" rotation. But I really have been liking drg lately, which is essentially just "loop between these two rotations, use buffs and jumps on cool down." on paper they're not that different and drg is arguably more simple, but for whatever reason it feels better to play for me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's funny, cus I feel the exact opposite and I'm not sure why. I enjoyed samurai at first but got bored with the routine "get three stickers, spend em all" rotation. But I really have been liking drg lately, which is essentially just "loop between these two rotations, use buffs and jumps on cool down." on paper they're not that different and drg is arguably more simple, but for whatever reason it feels better to play for me.

For me, SAM took some time to get going. If you spend too much time in the early levels, it can feel slow as hell because it is missing a bunch of its kit. GNB is the same way. Both feel a lot more active once they have their oGCDs and SAM especially once it has some of its late-game skills.

Honestly, SAM and GNB feel the absolute worst for me to get scaled down with in roulette. SGE, on the other hand, feels mostly fine, as well as DNC. I will never stop complaining about not being able to pick a dance partner pre-60 though, even if I am an AOE god.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
RPR at low levels is the worst imo. Even pre-70 you barely have anything to do - a 123 combo and like, a single OGCD to spend meter on, and that's it. It's so boring without the lv70 tools lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im like 3/4 of the way through shb (just unlocked malikah's) and i'm so sad about it. i want this expansion to go on forever, it's so good.

e: haha i was so wrong. there's a LOT of 5.x in that list

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 12, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also i quit GNB. im just lovely at tanking and people grumble / rolleyes / bitch in party chat too much for me to relax and enjoy it

SGE is so loving good. I love making GBS threads space lasers everywhere

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

You switched forward and backwards here. Yellow(egress) is backwards and blue(ingress) is forward.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nyagato posted:

You switched forward and backwards here. Yellow(egress) is backwards and blue(ingress) is forward.

lmao poo poo you're right, they're so easy to mix up. Here's a fixed ver, and I've updated the original post as well:

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
My trick when I start (started I guess since they're all 90 now) was to read through all the skills, try to guess where it made sense to put them. Then I'd test it out in the dungeon.
I think the only job I had to change layout when I got higher level was Reaper since I hadn't understood how the skills changed.

But this way I only had to figure out my layout once and when I unlocked a skill it was already where it made sense for me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nyagato posted:

My trick when I start (started I guess since they're all 90 now) was to read through all the skills, try to guess where it made sense to put them. Then I'd test it out in the dungeon.
I think the only job I had to change layout when I got higher level was Reaper since I hadn't understood how the skills changed.

But this way I only had to figure out my layout once and when I unlocked a skill it was already where it made sense for me.

Yeah I like to try placing every skill up to 90 on my hotbars soon as I unlock a job, trying my best to guess where they'll make sense. If a job really isn't making sense but I'm interested in learning it, I'll watch a video going into detail about its moves (usually a WeskAlber one) and think about how I'd arrange my hotkeys as it goes along.

The only times this hasn't really worked is on jobs with waaaaaay too many buttons, like Astrologian.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

don't forget that dungeons from 15 - 57 (and then....71 - 90) have a mode that you can run with npc party members, so you can run a job you're uncomfortable with and figure things out in a comfortable environment.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vitamean posted:

don't forget that dungeons from 15 - 57 (and then....71 - 90) have a mode that you can run with npc party members, so you can run a job you're uncomfortable with and figure things out in a comfortable environment.

In the same vein as this, if you're on the fence about whether or not you'll like a job, you can take it into Palace of the Dead to essentially "demo" the job from 1-60. Most jobs will have the majority of their kit by then so you can get a basic idea of how it'll feel. Some jobs do admittedly change quite a bit after 60 (drg and pld come to mind) you'll at least get a basic idea of the job's playstyle. Admittedly this is less effective for the jobs where you start as a different class until getting to level 30, since you won't get any of the job skills after 30, but getting to 30 doesn't take a ton of time and is worth getting to if you're interested in a job, and then demo the rest of it in potd to see how it feels if you're on the fence at that point.

To a lesser extent this also applies to (spoilers for unlockable Stormblood content) Heaven on High, though comparatively fewer jobs change dramatically from 60-70, and if you've already taken a job to 60 you're probably already comfortable with how it plays and don't really need to "demo" the next 10 levels. Though I suppose if you want to get a head-start on some mechanics that might be confusing / difficult to use - dnc, nin, rdm, pld, and probably blm (idk i don't play it lol) all get tools from 60-70 that can change up how you play the job.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 12, 2022

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Vitamean posted:

In fact if you have a squadron sufficiently levelled you can get to 60 and run Fractal Continuum until you can't stand it anymore.

Or just wait until the next patch when they add more to Duty Support :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vitamean posted:

The only problem I have with Duty Support NPCs is that running dungeons with them is dramatically different from running them with other humans. This is obviously necessary for multiple reasons, but running exclusively with NPCs can get you into a lot of bad habits. (I'd say the exception here is tanking, except that I've repeatedly struggled with pulls in Duty Support that I can do half-asleep with a human healer/DPS.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

girl dick energy posted:

The only problem I have with Duty Support NPCs is that running dungeons with them is dramatically different from running them with other humans. This is obviously necessary for multiple reasons, but running exclusively with NPCs can get you into a lot of bad habits. (I'd say the exception here is tanking, except that I've repeatedly struggled with pulls in Duty Support that I can do half-asleep with a human healer/DPS.)

I think the intention was more "If you're trying to figure out / practice a job's rotation and aren't comfortable doing it with real people, here's a safe pressure-free environment to do so." The Duty Support NPCs are great for trying this sort of stuff out in a way that just whacking a training dummy isn't, since in the heat of trying to dodge AOEs etc it's very easy to get flustered and gently caress up rotations that you were okay at performing against a dummy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It actually kind of upsets me that the scions will say unique things in duty support. Because I'd much rather run them with other people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the only dungeon where the support characters make you a fool for running with other players is the 87 one, imo

for the rest, do as you please

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

people post all the trust dialogue online if you just want to read it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I'd argue that wall-pulling as a tank in duty support is a great way to get good at being a tank, because it's like running a dungeon with 2 poo poo-tier DPS and a healer asleep at the keyboard. You have to roll your cooldowns properly to be able to stay in the fight long enough for your two DPS who didn't read their tooltips to focus down enough mobs that you can reach a steady-state. The only thing it's really not going to teach you as a tank is the wiggle dance to put everything into a nice fat clump for human players to AOE down.

That said... I've been noticing that I can't just barrel through at full speed during wall pulls anymore. Usually one AOE was enough to hold the mobs until I reached the wall, but more and more I'm noticing that if I don't stop for at least a GCD to get two hits in or if I don't cycle targets while running to hit them with my high-threat ranged attack, mobs will peel off onto the DPS/healer. It's actually annoying and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if other people are experiencing this too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no that is very common if you have dps that can do damage while running. the trick is that its perfectly fine to let them eat a few hits while you finish the pull. thats free real estate mitigation baby.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Warmachine posted:

I'd argue that wall-pulling as a tank in duty support is a great way to get good at being a tank, because it's like running a dungeon with 2 poo poo-tier DPS and a healer asleep at the keyboard. You have to roll your cooldowns properly to be able to stay in the fight long enough for your two DPS who didn't read their tooltips to focus down enough mobs that you can reach a steady-state. The only thing it's really not going to teach you as a tank is the wiggle dance to put everything into a nice fat clump for human players to AOE down.

That said... I've been noticing that I can't just barrel through at full speed during wall pulls anymore. Usually one AOE was enough to hold the mobs until I reached the wall, but more and more I'm noticing that if I don't stop for at least a GCD to get two hits in or if I don't cycle targets while running to hit them with my high-threat ranged attack, mobs will peel off onto the DPS/healer. It's actually annoying and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if other people are experiencing this too.

I notice this too some times so I've just been trying to get 2 GCDs in, at least when I'm in current tier dungeons

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A two-hit AoE combo will hold everything until you finish the pull, from my experience. I wiggle around a little at the front of the pack before the second GCD just to make it clear that I'm still moving, and people usually get the picture. I imagine DRK and WAR could probably do it with a single resource-spending AoE and one of their oGCDs like Orogeny/Flood.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Awesome! posted:

no that is very common if you have dps that can do damage while running. the trick is that its perfectly fine to let them eat a few hits while you finish the pull. thats free real estate mitigation baby.

This is where I've been landing more and more because often enough it's too much :effort: to try and cycle through targets while I'm running when all I really want is to get to the end of the hallway without my party going "Time to drop our puddles here!"

If they don't deliver the mob into my AoE mosh pit to get slapped, that's gonna be their problem from here on out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, AoE, oGCD (if you have it), AoE seems to be required for a solid hold from the testing I've done with guildies. Or I pull something on the way and stand on the tank when we stop.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think it's worth waiting around for an extra GCD most of the time. Sure, you will almost certainly lose at least one enemy to the DPS, but they can take the damage and you will get the enemies back with one GCD once you reach the wall. Plus, that's damage that you aren't taking, so it's basically free health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you're doing it with the trusts as a tank you must have aggro on every mob before running to the next pack, because they won't follow you if you don't. They will stand and fight the one enemy you missed.