Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the original colouration of the comics anymore, short of ebaying all the issues. The new one isn't all bad but I'm absolutely allergic to some of the awful gradients they use.

If you really want #29-75 and Orpheus in their original printing I think I have them in a longbox somewhere. I picked up the Absolute volumes when they came out.

(Where's my Absolute Lucifer, is what I want to know. Gross's work looks better when you expand it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m fine with Death being a black girl

And Baptiste is doing a good job

But I keep daydreaming what if it was Janelle Monae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnFBafFZNc

Her accent is strained but she exudes so much love

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 1, 2022

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

I’m fine with Death being a black girl

And Baptiste is doing a good job

But I keep daydreaming what if it was Janelle Monae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnFBafFZNc

Her accent is strained but she exudes so much love

I love janelle monae, good call.. she would’ve been good too!

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Raygereio posted:

I'm only 3 episodes in so far, but I'm loving it. I didn't expect they could find someone who could speak convincingly in white on black speech bubbles, but Sturridge manages it somehow. He looks like an emo dork and it's perfect.:allears:

The gripes I've had so far are minor. Like Constantine looked to clean. But then maybe they didn't have required budget to make Jenna Coleman look disheveled.
Patton Oswalt as Matthew I did really dislike though. He's not that bad, but in the one episode I've seen him in so far it's "Here's Oswalt, doing his Patton Oswalt voice." It's probably the result of some producer wanting a big comedy name for the wacky side character role to get some more publicity.

Constantine was still really well put together in Sandman and early Hellblazer. Ennis taking over is what made him become more disheveled.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

Constantine was still really well put together in Sandman and early Hellblazer. Ennis taking over is what made him become more disheveled.

Any iteration of Constantine instinctually knows when they’re going to be snogging an old flame later and pretties up a little for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

It honestly wasn't. Constantine has always had his moods; as early as issue 4 he's a mess when having to face turning 35. But when he's on the upswing, he's neat as a pin.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Necrothatcher posted:

This destroys the dog. totally in character

oh poo poo!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DuhSal posted:

I love janelle monae, good call.. she would’ve been good too!

I have an idea

I think if we could get a few of us to dream at the same time about Janelle Monae as Death,

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jedit posted:

It honestly wasn't. Constantine has always had his moods; as early as issue 4 he's a mess when having to face turning 35. But when he's on the upswing, he's neat as a pin.

I mean, if you want to go back to the source, Constantine was always extremely put together when he would appear in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. Basically the equivalent of an occult CIA agent delivering that arc's case to the big green guy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Steve Yun posted:

I have an idea

I think if we could get a few of us to dream at the same time about Janelle Monae as Death,

current actress is awesome. Janelle can be any other part.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
drat. Dream of Cats and Calliope were great

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Jaxyon posted:

current actress is awesome. Janelle can be any other part.

The biggest female roles left are Thessaly, Nuala, and Delerium. Bast too, I guess.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Thranguy posted:

The biggest female roles left are Thessaly, Nuala, and Delerium. Bast too, I guess.

Given what they did with Lucifer, they could always "gender" (such as it applies) swap Duma/Remiel.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

guessing eve got rolled up with lucien then

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The Voice of Labor posted:

guessing eve got rolled up with lucien then

They said they wanted a female character to be a big part of the Dreaming, and when they swapped Lucienne she fit the bill, but they did talk about bringing in Eve or The Mad Mod Witch to fill that role.

Honestly, I love Lucienne having more to do than Lucien in the comic.

I do hope we meet Eve eventually though, if only for me wanting them to do Parliament of Rooks

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I liked both. They forgot to add in talking animals.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just got done with episode 8. Excellent adaptation imo despite the small problems.

Has it really not been greenlit for a second season? loving lol wtf are Netflix ‘s execs smoking

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Popoto posted:

Just got done with episode 8. Excellent adaptation imo despite the small problems.

Has it really not been greenlit for a second season? loving lol wtf are Netflix ‘s execs smoking

According to Neil Gaiman, they are waiting to see the data after it streamed for 28 days, which was Friday, so I assume they'll make a choice soon, and I'd imagine it gets a second season considering it constantly swapped back into the #1 spot in US and has remained #1 in many international markets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s entirely possible they already know they’re going to renew it and are seeing if they can bump up their numbers even more

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I suspect the question isn't whether or not it gets renewed but what budget it gets renewed at.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect the question isn't whether or not it gets renewed but what budget it gets renewed at.

The Good News: It's been renewed!
The Bad News: It's part of a partnership with AMC and season 2 is going to be set entirely inside an office space with the blinds down on all the windows.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This is like saying Everything Everywhere All at Once and Dr. Strange 2 are the same because they're both monetarily successful and dealt with multiverse shenanigans. :psyduck:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah moon knight sucks

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah moon knight sucks

Actually moon night is good and cool and so is sandman

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The Good News: It's been renewed!
The Bad News: It's part of a partnership with AMC and season 2 is going to be set entirely inside an office space with the blinds down on all the windows.

I'll take what I can get.

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah moon knight sucks

:wrong:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't really think very highly of moonnight but there was that one issue bill sienkiewicz penciled that defined his style which was then imitated by dave mckean and mike dringenberg so sandman owes a lot to moonnight

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

oh I was just talking about the stupid Disney+ tv show I know absolutely jack poo poo about it outside of that

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I couldn't remember the name of the story, but it's volume 1, issue #26 "hit it"

if anyone's into the sandman comics and wants to see where the art style for the first two archs comes from, it's that. I wouldn't, in general, recommend reading moon night, but that issue's worth a look

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Fuking lol, love Neil

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Finished season one earlier.

Final verdict: very solid 8.75/10

My gripes are with very minor technical stuff. Everything else i didn’t mind, even the big changes, since I know Gaiman is behind those. Author’s intent and all that (not even counting the entire theme of “every story is it’s own with a million different variations” so prevalent in Sandman, reminding everyone that different adaptations and viewpoints are fine.)

I can’t wait for season two.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

deee-lite needs to hook up with bill lieb and stage a comeback tour as deee-lerium

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

According to the WGA site they quietly went forward with Season 2 and are now building back their writer's room.

I assume we'll get an official announcement sometime before October.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

According to the WGA site they quietly went forward with Season 2 and are now building back their writer's room.

I assume we'll get an official announcement sometime before October.

I wouldn't celebrate yet, there have been cancelled shows where this has happened.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Episode 6 was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a while. The rest of it was OK. I get why they went for "dreamlike" pacing but I would have enjoyed it more if it was a little tighter. Makes me want to re-read the comics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Episode 6 was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a while. The rest of it was OK. I get why they went for "dreamlike" pacing but I would have enjoyed it more if it was a little tighter. Makes me want to re-read the comics.
I would also once again recommend the audiobook since they do a really good job making Sandman into a radio play "Where is Act 3 Neil" :argh:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wouldn't celebrate yet, there have been cancelled shows where this has happened.

Neil clarified that it's because they did write the scripts, but they are still waiting on the greenlight, so you could be right. But hey if they do get the go ahead, they got the scripts written so that's good.

achillesforever6 posted:

I would also once again recommend the audiobook since they do a really good job making Sandman into a radio play "Where is Act 3 Neil" :argh:

Both Neil and Dirk Maggs, the director of the audios, have said those who have Audible credits might consider not spending it, so I think they are gonna drop it soon.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Re: the Audio drama, do we know how many acts it'll be? I had it in my head that there were only going to be three, but I also may have just made that up somehow.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Re: the Audio drama, do we know how many acts it'll be? I had it in my head that there were only going to be three, but I also may have just made that up somehow.

I would guess 4. The first two covered the issues in the first two books of my hardcover sets and there four of those (of the main series at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gandalf21 posted:

I would guess 4. The first two covered the issues in the first two books of my hardcover sets and there four of those (of the main series at least)

They are also going to adapt Dream Hunters, Endless Nights and Overture, so I think we get 5 acts.