Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Counsel which I usually see giving just +5.

i thought it targets the biggest negative moodlet for the lifespan of the moodlet, so, like, use it on a recent divorcee and they'll get +18 for a month. it's terrible if you've got multiple little things annoying you but it's great if e.g. you had to eat your dead pet to survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i thought it targets the biggest negative moodlet for the lifespan of the moodlet, so, like, use it on a recent divorcee and they'll get +18 for a month. it's terrible if you've got multiple little things annoying you but it's great if e.g. you had to eat your dead pet to survive

I'm not sure what the limit is but I've never seen it go above +8, it doesn't seem to matter that there's a -30 psychic drone or whatever

e: Just tried it on a pawn with Psychite Withdrawal and Blistering Hot, -35 mood and -16 mood respectively. Counseling gave them +8. They didn't actually have any -8 moodlets.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 12, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

weird, maybe one of the vanilla expanded mods fucks with it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Counseling only specifically matches the long term moods, like death or whatever. Pretty sure if a child or spouse dies you can add a countering +20 or whatever. I've had it work on a pawn whose wife died while raiding me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

No news, but it was about a year and a half between 1.0 and Royalty and the same again to Ideology, and if that pattern holds something early in the new year is very plausible. Also I seem to recall that Tynan went "Hey there's a new DLC out next week" both times, like there was hardly any lead compared to many games.

People are anticipating Multiplayer and I fear there's gonna be a lot of disappointment if it's not, but for my part I'll bet it's Mystery and you get to be Sotha Sil investigate many bizarre and esoteric new phenomena.

I would hope for vehicles, personally. Expansion of the world map gameplay and multi-tile vehicles you can kit out with different stuff would be nice, and is a notable gap in the game I think, the tech level is there and there are wrecks everywhere, but the game just doesn't simulate it. Could also add in big mechanoids as threats too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Azhais posted:

Counseling only specifically matches the long term moods, like death or whatever. Pretty sure if a child or spouse dies you can add a countering +20 or whatever. I've had it work on a pawn whose wife died while raiding me

Alright, I just tested that: killed a pawn's wife for the -20 moodlet, then counseled them

The first attempt was botched, resulting in another -3 moodlet. lol

Reloading though, I was able to get a +20 moodlet through counseling. So that's cool. The overall points still stands; the priest abilities aren't really directly comparable to psycasts

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SniperWoreConverse posted:

:hmmyes:

It would be interesting if there was a way to mod irl burrowing animals the ability to make nests or burrows that are within safe temp for whatever is inside. so hares could make warrens or bears could hibernate in winter.

Couple pages back but Im out in the woods and only get service on hilltops but want to help a rimworlder out.

I'd take a look at maybe playing with the condition Hypothermic slowdown that the bugs get. You could basically simulate hibernation by taking that ability, and modifying it so that it reduces hunger and increases cold tolerance.

This way when your map freezes or whatever things might instead enter that state and then just pop put when the temperature increases again. You would want to toy with the hunger rate slow down, but you could get it so they survive most winters but super long ones would starve them.

Also if you get the timining just right you'd have bears wake up starving and ready to eat your colonists.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
SteamDB has been tracking builds on a branch titled "mirage" since Nov. 2021, they had a new build go up every day last week so something is certainly in the works.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Alright, I just tested that: killed a pawn's wife for the -20 moodlet, then counseled them

This is why psychology research has ethics boards.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I would hope for vehicles, personally. Expansion of the world map gameplay and multi-tile vehicles you can kit out with different stuff would be nice, and is a notable gap in the game I think, the tech level is there and there are wrecks everywhere, but the game just doesn't simulate it. Could also add in big mechanoids as threats too.

Yeah that would be a big big positive, it's definitely one of the big gaps. It would need to be REALLY advanced and complex to actually be the centerpiece of an expac and idk if they'd do that, but it would absolutely rule if so.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

This is why psychology research has ethics boards.

This is why psychology will never be real science

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah that would be a big big positive, it's definitely one of the big gaps. It would need to be REALLY advanced and complex to actually be the centerpiece of an expac and idk if they'd do that, but it would absolutely rule if so.

I think honestly if they got multi tile working, in general to simulate large objects, tied it into the caravan system, added things like swappable components and different vehicle types (aircraft, land, amphib etc) and also got the AI to use them in combat that would be probably on par with royalty at least.

If you paired it with a more advanced strategic layer in general with things like territories and actually tracking raider groups/resources of factions that would definitely be on par with ideologies in terms of radically changing how the game works.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Machines, Maps, or Multi-threading.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that it's fair to compare psycasts to priest abilities. Word of Joy is a Royalty pyscast and gives +30 joy, you could compare that to Counsel which I usually see giving just +5.

I'd compare Word of Healing to Word of Trust. Word of Trust reduces resistance by 20; that's equal to 20 days of recruitment at the base recruitment rate. Word of Healing and Word of Immunity cost half as much psyfocus to heal wounds/infections in 1 day that would normally take 3-4 with treatment.

Others already covered the Counsel mechanics but Word of Joy is one of the exceptions to psycasts being generally good, it has a -20% consciousness penalty which puts it in the awkward spot of only being useful for pawns that are both too important to allow low mood but also unimportant enough that you don't care if they're botching jobs or the occasional accidental death from stacking debuffs. You can't even use it for teetotaler guests that get mad that they drank a beer because it's a -25 faction relation hit.

Word of Trust was good at release but kind of sidelined with the release of Ideology, since ideology conversion is the new speedbump to recruitment for most colonies. In the time it takes for that to happen you'll probably get someone with a recruitment inspiration so you can recruit and immediately arrest again for continued reeducation. If you just want a warm body for hauling there's now the enslavement option using will, which is resistance but deliberately easy to break. These days I mostly forget Word of Trust exists because it's no longer that useful, honestly.

One thing to keep in mind with Rimworld and why I think Word of Healing/Immunity is kinda busted as a result is that the gameplay loop is built around stacking long-term complications. Getting an infection after a raid thanks to a bad tend sucks and means they're bedridden for a few more days, that means you might still be down a combat pawn when a second raid hits a couple days after the first, and now you have to make a choice of whether you let the pawn continue resting or draft him despite the pain penalties and infection progression risk. Or you have a caravan heading out when the plague hits, and then you make the choice of whether to stop and rest, or rush a doctor with medicine over, or cancel the trip and go home. The game gets noticeably easier when your pawns are in top shape all the time and you don't even need bed rest because recovery rates are boosted sky-high. Word of Trust helps you recruit faster but if you're keeping them in a nice personal cell there's no real complication besides the once a year prison break attempt and you can completely prevent that by removing their legs if you think that's going to be a problem, resistance doesn't tick back up like ideology belief if your main warden gets splattered and the new guy is getting trained on the job.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't get nearly enough recruitment inspirations to consider them inevitable, but I usually avoid using word of trust either way because I want the social XP. And if I'm done training my social pawn and don't need the XP they can break conviction and resistance so fast it isn't even worth using a psycast. Word of Trust is good to have for emergency "must have new pawn now" situations, though. When you need it, you need it. I like psycasts that have a niche like that instead of just being something you always want to use.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there a mod that lets you assign prisoners to specific cells and just have the warden take them there without having to mess around undesignating and redesignating prisoner beds?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've basically given up on trying to make a prisoner area like I want. I wanted to have them each have their own bedroom/cell and then have a communal area with a nutrient paste dispenser and a bunch of recreation stuff for them all to use. Never got it working. Ended up with starving assholes I have to have a warden feed individually and they all have low recreation when they get bored with whatever small stuff I can mass produce and cram in everyone's room.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

I don't get nearly enough recruitment inspirations to consider them inevitable, but I usually avoid using word of trust either way because I want the social XP. And if I'm done training my social pawn and don't need the XP they can break conviction and resistance so fast it isn't even worth using a psycast. Word of Trust is good to have for emergency "must have new pawn now" situations, though. When you need it, you need it. I like psycasts that have a niche like that instead of just being something you always want to use.

I also don't get recruitment inspirations very often. When I'm still interested in getting recruits (typically 10-12 pawns not counting slaves) I'll get maybe 1 recruitment inspiration per colony

I usually keep several slaves, suppression is a long-term way to keep Social trained. I use the Execution and Gladiator Duel ceremonies, so I also often have a couple of imprisoned pawns to Warden against.

bird food bathtub posted:

I've basically given up on trying to make a prisoner area like I want. I wanted to have them each have their own bedroom/cell and then have a communal area with a nutrient paste dispenser and a bunch of recreation stuff for them all to use. Never got it working. Ended up with starving assholes I have to have a warden feed individually and they all have low recreation when they get bored with whatever small stuff I can mass produce and cram in everyone's room.

Without mods you'd have to remove the doors from their bedrooms, creating essentially 1 big prisoner area. You also have to designate the prisoners as not receiving meals, to prevent a warden from delivering food; then the prisoners will use the nutrient paste dispenser themselves.

Prisoners don't have recreation needs, so any rec items you put in the cell would be decorative

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Ms Adequate posted:

No news, but it was about a year and a half between 1.0 and Royalty and the same again to Ideology, and if that pattern holds something early in the new year is very plausible. Also I seem to recall that Tynan went "Hey there's a new DLC out next week" both times, like there was hardly any lead compared to many games.

People are anticipating Multiplayer and I fear there's gonna be a lot of disappointment if it's not, but for my part I'll bet it's Mystery and you get to be Sotha Sil investigate many bizarre and esoteric new phenomena.

Tynan has also gone on the record that there are NO updates about what's cooking in terms of upcoming expansions before official press releases are made. Kinda sucks for us in not having any idea of what to look forward to, but gives them the freedom to develop without a community looking over their shoulder and (probably) breathing down their neck.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The RW community is pretty high in the running for worst game community on the internet, can't blame him for wanting minimum interactions with his fans.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Hungry posted:

Machines, Maps, or Multi-threading.

Mobility is my guess

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gadzuko posted:

There's RNG with inspirations of course, but the big thing is maxing out mood to drop the average time until inspiration (50 days at 90% and 10 days at 100%). If you're the type of player to spam Word of Inspiration on your crafters hoping to get Inspired Creativity, you'll inevitably hit it there too.

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a mod that lets you assign prisoners to specific cells and just have the warden take them there without having to mess around undesignating and redesignating prisoner beds?

Set Owner for Prisoner Beds allows you to assign beds to prisoners the same way you assign them to colonists. It's a little finicky if the prisoner is bedridden from injuries or just wants to sleep right now but if they're up and wandering it works pretty reliably.

Prison Commons is what you're looking for, though as mentioned earlier prisoners have no recreation need in vanilla.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

isndl posted:

Prison Commons is what you're looking for, though as mentioned earlier prisoners have no recreation need in vanilla.

Neat, if I do another play through at some point I'll add this. With my current colony the techno-utopian heaven is full up. Everyone is building the latest version of Hale-Bopp comet to get off this dirt ball and the rest of these losers missed out on sharing in the wonder and glory of our future ascension.

I don't even look at stats to see if someone is worth being a prisoner anymore. I turn raiders in to various sized chunky bits until they gently caress off and leave us alone then toss a few molotovs on the piles to make sure they stay gone. Actually ending up with idle pawns at times. Turns out two T5 androids are crazy good at hauling and cleaning so there's no leftover work to assign everyone to take up their time once specialized tasks are done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where's my conversation inspirations

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I just found out if you do a shuttle call back from a quest base you can load literally everything on the map instantly in to your shuttle, got a free 123 sandstone chunks from that relic hacking mission.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

isndl posted:

Set Owner for Prisoner Beds allows you to assign beds to prisoners the same way you assign them to colonists. It's a little finicky if the prisoner is bedridden from injuries or just wants to sleep right now but if they're up and wandering it works pretty reliably.

Thank you very much

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you have a paste dispenser and it points into a prison will normal colonists come get food from it if there's no other meals? Or do you need two dispensers?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Reik posted:

I just found out if you do a shuttle call back from a quest base you can load literally everything on the map instantly in to your shuttle, got a free 123 sandstone chunks from that relic hacking mission.

Always pillage, steal everything not bolted down, deconstruct the rest

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If you have a paste dispenser and it points into a prison will normal colonists come get food from it if there's no other meals? Or do you need two dispensers?

You’ll need two.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I really hosed up where I put this goddamn thing, hope I don't run outta mechanisms

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can someone give me a dummy dumb-dumb version of how to stop any mods from updating? I'm looking at the properties of Rimworld in my steam library and the only options I see on the "Updates" tab are "always", "only when I start" and "do it all the time at high priority". Nothing that obviously says "No, actually, don't download any updates."

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Well, I have an ideology problem. One of my recruits is a loving cannibal raider, where everyone else is pretty much calm and most of them are whatever wants bionic parts. This recruit is getting increasingly unhappy because we are not murdering and eating people.

Is there any way to convert them other than having my cleric use "Convert" on cooldown? This seems to drop them by very little and infuriates both the cleric and the raider.

Also, what do you do if you have a friendly in your hospital and they are completely incapacitated? A royal tribute collector got taken down by some manhunting genixes and I decided I'd get some brownie points by rescuing him!

It was 3 days later I really looked at his health tab.

Brain (frostbite scar) 50%

The dude is just laying there in one of my two hospital beds with a little smile on his face consuming meals. He's kind of become a plot point in the game, what do we do with him? What kind of brain implant can fix this, or is it nothing but luciferium that can fix his hosed-up brain? And if it's only luciferium, and he's still a member of the friendly faction, and I dose him with the luciferium, will he get up and wander off the map? I'd prefer to heal him some other way but drat it that dude is going to get up under his own power somehow and make his way in the world and if it takes making him a slave to luciferium once he's out of my hair that's just how it's going to be.

If I can't heal him I think I'll just keep him as the colony's mascot/good luck charm, just laying there smiling with a frostbitten brain eating a fine meal or two a day and dreaming of primary color stuffed animals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well, I have an ideology problem. One of my recruits is a loving cannibal raider, where everyone else is pretty much calm and most of them are whatever wants bionic parts. This recruit is getting increasingly unhappy because we are not murdering and eating people.

Is there any way to convert them other than having my cleric use "Convert" on cooldown? This seems to drop them by very little and infuriates both the cleric and the raider.

Also, what do you do if you have a friendly in your hospital and they are completely incapacitated? A royal tribute collector got taken down by some manhunting genixes and I decided I'd get some brownie points by rescuing him!

It was 3 days later I really looked at his health tab.

Brain (frostbite scar) 50%

The dude is just laying there in one of my two hospital beds with a little smile on his face consuming meals. He's kind of become a plot point in the game, what do we do with him? What kind of brain implant can fix this, or is it nothing but luciferium that can fix his hosed-up brain? And if it's only luciferium, and he's still a member of the friendly faction, and I dose him with the luciferium, will he get up and wander off the map? I'd prefer to heal him some other way but drat it that dude is going to get up under his own power somehow and make his way in the world and if it takes making him a slave to luciferium once he's out of my hair that's just how it's going to be.

If I can't heal him I think I'll just keep him as the colony's mascot/good luck charm, just laying there smiling with a frostbitten brain eating a fine meal or two a day and dreaming of primary color stuffed animals.

Prisoners can be converted, so ideally you do that before recruiting or enslaving them. You can always reimprison someone if you want. There is also a Conversion ritual, which can be a lot more effective than the priest ability but has a longer cooldown. You can use the ritual and then immediately use the ability, and hopefully that's enough

Go Juice and Wake Up boost consciousness, try dosing them under the Operate menu. I don't know if that upsets their faction or not.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't believe you can do operations on friendlies, only prisoners and colonists. This might include drug administration.

If he's able to walk you might be able to move him along by switching his bed off medical to normal?

In mine a dude got his leg shot off and the surgery to add a peg failed and damaged his spine. There goes the meds. Take 2 worked fine.

I think I might run out of food and we all die unless I can figure something out. It's too hot for anything except camels.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Can someone give me a dummy dumb-dumb version of how to stop any mods from updating? I'm looking at the properties of Rimworld in my steam library and the only options I see on the "Updates" tab are "always", "only when I start" and "do it all the time at high priority". Nothing that obviously says "No, actually, don't download any updates."

What you want to do is use RimPy, it will make a folder called Local. Transfer your mods from your current steam folder over to that, then just make sure it's loading the Local versions (There are little icons and stuff that'll tell you; if you simply do a copy-paste it should automatically switch to loading from your local copy but double-check). You can quickly access various folders just by clicking their names in the top left.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 13, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Conversion ritual in an excellent room with a high social priest can insta-convert someone if they happen to get an…. outstanding? ritual quality.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel like 90% of my conversion rituals end with the convertee dunking on my religion and strutting away more confident than ever

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azhais posted:

I feel like 90% of my conversion rituals end with the convertee dunking on my religion and strutting away more confident than ever

I have definitely seen some "And then everyone stood up and clapped" levels of bullshit in those rituals, yeah

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Honestly smh if you don't strip your prisoners naked and leave them in drab gray prison cells where the only bit of daily entertainment they get is Bucko the Miner coming in to tell them all about your Ideo.

My conversions never take very long for some reason. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my prison is a small wooden shack covered in blood where everyone beats up each other daily