Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol Notre Dame is still receiving votes in the coaches poll

Oh my god in the AP poll too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TAMU spending infinite money on their coach and recruits only to never win the west is hilarious.

Meanwhile Arky hired an OL coach and hit the portal hard and are probably going to challenge for the West this year.

Lol, lmao, etc.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Achernar posted:

How the hell did that happen anyway? Frost came off super hot from UCF, and just utterly poo poo the bed. I know part of the problem is Nebraska is severed from its old recruiting grounds in TX/OK, but still, losing to sun belt teams is embarrassing.

Nebraska is just straight up geographically hosed recruiting, but even with Frost he brought in a ton of Florida guys who immediately flunked out or transferred. I guess their best hope going forward is to try to poach from usc/ucla once they join but even that seems like a pipe dream. Also something behind the scenes with Frost stinks to high hell but who knows what

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

lol Notre Dame is still receiving votes in the coaches poll

Oh my god in the AP poll too

Oregon State being unranked in both polls is some bullshit, they've been insanely exciting and have 2 decent enough wins.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is ... is the SEC East better than the SEC West? Is that possible?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Achernar posted:

How the hell did that happen anyway? Frost came off super hot from UCF, and just utterly poo poo the bed. I know part of the problem is Nebraska is severed from its old recruiting grounds in TX/OK, but still, losing to sun belt teams is embarrassing.

The old AD let Frost do whatever he wanted, including hiring his moron friends for his assistants who kept being awful coaches. Frost and the old AD became heavy drinking buddies allegedly, and the AD gave Frost a huge pay increase and contract extension during a losing season, because having the hometown hero was good for business... So Frost wasn't motivated to change, or fire his moron friends, and recruiting suffered even more. Also, allegedly his personal life just fell apart.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

PostNouveau posted:

Is ... is the SEC East better than the SEC West? Is that possible?

eh idk. Arkansas could probably beat any SEC East team besides Georgia.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

TAMU spending infinite money on their coach and recruits only to never win the west is hilarious.

Meanwhile Arky hired an OL coach and hit the portal hard and are probably going to challenge for the West this year.

Lol, lmao, etc.

Challenge for second?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

HannibalBarca posted:

eh idk. Arkansas could probably beat any SEC East team besides Georgia.

It’s oddly even this year, especially with Bama looking kind of down.

Tennessee and Kentucky look pretty good in the east. Not sure how Ole Miss and LSU will shake out in the SEC landscape—or if TAMU focuses or folds from here on in.

Should be pretty interesting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Challenge for second?

They have the lines and a mobile QB to give Bama fits if they don’t sort out their defense.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

killer crane posted:

The old AD let Frost do whatever he wanted, including hiring his moron friends for his assistants who kept being awful coaches. Frost and the old AD became heavy drinking buddies allegedly, and the AD gave Frost a huge pay increase and contract extension during a losing season, because having the hometown hero was good for business... So Frost wasn't motivated to change, or fire his moron friends, and recruiting suffered even more. Also, allegedly his personal life just fell apart.

Must be the only man to ever ruin his marriage after moving from Florida to Nebraska

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how much was the pay bump to go from UCF to Nebraska and face this humiliation.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how much was the pay bump to go from UCF to Nebraska and face this humiliation.

At least 15M, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

killer crane posted:

The old AD let Frost do whatever he wanted
I'll air my pet theory.

Your note has EVERYTHING to do with the "why" behind Nebraska football woes. It's a combo of very small town good ol' boys club and a dysfunctional university (in parts) clinging to the past, colliding with the small towns biggest profit generator. This shows up in the Athletic Director position, where we've churned through five in 20 years. Steve Pederson fired Frank Solich, who had just won more games in his first six seasons than either Tom Osborne or Bob Devaney in their first six. Pederson thought he could poach Steve Spurrier of the then Washington Redskins. He did not ask Spurrier first. Houston Nutt delivered a masterclass in negotiation. Pederson did not get a search committee together. Pelini becomes the emergency interim head coach, keeping us afloat. Pederson hires Bill Callahan. Bill sucks. Pederson is fired, lasting four years. Tom Osborne takes over for six years. Pelini becomes head coach. Osborne retires, Shawn Eichorst takes over. Shawn Eichorst fires Pelini, again without a search committee. No one but Mike Riley is considered. Riley smiles a lot, famously makes leg day optional for D1 football athletes. Eichorst is fired, lasting four years. Bill Moos, rumored Frost drinking buddy comes in, fires Riley, hires Frost. He shuffles around Nebrasketball. Volleyball wins a National Championship no thanks to him. Moos retires after four years.

Enter Trev Alberts, who is in his second year. I get the impression we hired Trev Alberts because he cut football and wrestling at the University of Nebraska - Omaha to bring them up to the D1 Summit League. You see, he can make "tough decisions."

Regardless, you can see a 20 year long pattern of lovely decision making. The decisions are lovely cause the hires are all someone's buddy from back in the day, or someone who put in time during the glory years. This is probably most football decisions, but the effects are amplified here. If the Bill Moos rumors are true, more icing on the cake. And the University itself might be clinging too hard to the past to actually do anything about it.

Edit: LMAO I forgot Bill Callahan in between Solich and Pelini. Too much poo poo to go around.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 12, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/larsanderson71/status/1569081585433018376?s=46&t=JqAPP_mZvlY4SUYLhPiTjw

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

...Have they even asked Matt Campbell first?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

I'm loving the first reply to this:

https://twitter.com/BBeyea/status/1569082233511624706?s=20&t=kJ39UB5L7goPd5-l25V7cw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lolololol

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Pederson hires Bill Callahan. Bill sucks. Pederson is fired, lasting four years. Tom Osborne takes over for six years. Pelini becomes head coach.

I love this era of Nebraska football, because it's the real point the wheels came off. Callahan was hired to modernize the program, instead of relying on Osborne's increasingly irrelevant old playbook. Callahan wanted Nebraska to run an aerial, hurry up offense, and would talk about how college football wasn't stuck in the 90s, and Nebraska shouldn't be either. Some old crusty rear end boosters complained so hard they got Osborne involved to fire him. And within a couple years that same offense structure was winning the national championship.

Callahan might have sucked, but he knew where college football was going, and Nebraska never ever wants to change.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
DEACS BITCH, just IMO.

Well me and Alaois, maybe.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'm dangerously close to feeling desperate enough to start a new dynasty in NCAA 14

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

DEACS BITCH, just IMO.

Well me and Alaois, maybe.

did you know Wake Forest has only ever started a season ranked once before, in 2008

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I swear I’ve heard this like four other times for other teams. It could happen, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

killer crane posted:

I love this era of Nebraska football, because it's the real point the wheels came off. Callahan was hired to modernize the program, instead of relying on Osborne's increasingly irrelevant old playbook. Callahan wanted Nebraska to run an aerial, hurry up offense, and would talk about how college football wasn't stuck in the 90s, and Nebraska shouldn't be either. Some old crusty rear end boosters complained so hard they got Osborne involved to fire him. And within a couple years that same offense structure was winning the national championship.

Callahan might have sucked, but he knew where college football was going, and Nebraska never ever wants to change.

The boosters hated Callahan because he cut off their access and stopped those coach brunches/luncheons/dinners or whatever they were. And since the high school programs were still running the option, local kids didn't fit in Callahan's scheme. So we :qq: lost the Nebraska walk ons :qq: and all of this was used to drive him out.

That said, the thing that really drove Callahan out was refusing to fire his DC Kevin Cosgrove.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

killer crane posted:

Honestly Nebraska would probably be in better shape today if they just stuck with the triple option.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

whos that broooown posted:

Honestly Nebraska would probably be in better shape today if they just stuck with the triple option.

Ah, a Dan Carlin fan.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah, a Dan Carlin fan.

Idgi

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is Nebraska primarily an issue of the school no longer being able to recruit athletes of the caliber needed to compete, or was Frost that dire as an in game coach?

I realize the issues are related as when you are terrible and lose a lot then top players don't want to go there, and that recruiting is one of the big jobs for the head coach.

The fact that I've seen the Huskers on the losing end of many many close games in recent years suggests to me that he was a bad in game coach.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Zwabu posted:

Is Nebraska primarily an issue of the school no longer being able to recruit athletes of the caliber needed to compete, or was Frost that dire as an in game coach?

I realize the issues are related as when you are terrible and lose a lot then top players don't want to go there, and that recruiting is one of the big jobs for the head coach.

The fact that I've seen the Huskers on the losing end of many many close games in recent years suggests to me that he was a bad in game coach.

He was a pretty bad in-game coach.

Edit: please understand and appreciate that I composed and summarily deleted three :words: replies before settling on this

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Zwabu posted:

A good motivator and bad strategist maybe? It's kind of baffling to think of how you always play just below the level of your competition.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Can I interest Nebraska in a used Paul Chryst? You'll run the dang ball, constantly win 8-10 games but still feel like you are under performing and white Midwestern dads love him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hear Bo Pelini is available

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Go get...

...uhhh........

ERIC CROUCH

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bo Pelini had four 9-4 seasons and three 10-4 seasons. I'm not even sure why y'all fired him to begin with. Was he banging boosters wives or something?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA has now been #1 in:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Bo Pelini had four 9-4 seasons and three 10-4 seasons. I'm not even sure why y'all fired him to begin with. Was he banging boosters wives or something?

Telling the fans to eat poo poo on a live mic, though frankly that should’ve given him a lifetime contract

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Nah he was just a huge rear end in a top hat. That's the case with most coaches, but Nebraska has a certain nice Midwestern reputation to uphold.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Roasted Donut posted:

God drat this has been a really sick day of football. Excellent and funny upsets everywhere, if only Texas hadn't lost.

Bama needing like the worst call in the history of the sport to erase a safety and a no-call on a blatant facemask in the red zone to beat Texas was an upset. poo poo happens and the result is the result, but also the game was the game and everyone who saw it watched Bama get outplayed by a Texas team with a one-legged backup QB.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Urban going to Nebraska

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

That was Carl :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
nebraska doubling down on the frank solich decision in perpetuity.