Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pulled the trigger on a r5 5600 and some RAM to upgrade my old r5 2600x

F1 2022 VR better run better at least :mad:

I recently went from a 2700x to 5600x and I've been real happy with it. I haven't tried VR with it yet but performance with triples using the same 2070 is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I think my 3070ti is getting hamstrung by the 2600x

Shout out to AMD for using the same socket for like 4 generations now lol. All I need is a bios update to support the 5600x

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Are there any good guides out there for someone who is like 100% new to sim racing? most of the guides I see are about higher end stuff or what gear to get. I grabbed Asetto Corsa a few months ago to try in vr and ended up grabbing a T300 to play with it and also grabbed dirt 2.0 and Project cars 2 on sales and have been messing with them but I have no idea what I am doing as someone who has only ever played arcade racers and get annihilated by ai on the default difficulties so far.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The best thing is just to join the discord honestly and ask questions there.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bruc posted:

Are there any good guides out there for someone who is like 100% new to sim racing? most of the guides I see are about higher end stuff or what gear to get. I grabbed Asetto Corsa a few months ago to try in vr and ended up grabbing a T300 to play with it and also grabbed dirt 2.0 and Project cars 2 on sales and have been messing with them but I have no idea what I am doing as someone who has only ever played arcade racers and get annihilated by ai on the default difficulties so far.

brake more

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
really you can learn the theory with something like this series which iirc i looked at like once way back but really i just learned mostly by ramming my head directly into RBR, and im still not consistently good lol.

Trying to put some of the basics off the top of my head, you're managing a few things in sim racing that are handwaved away alot in arcade.
You're transferring you're weight, and if you do it wrong you get sent to heaven.
You're managing your tire grip. you can't just go pedal to medal whenever and you also can't brake max power whenever you want.
you're synthesizing the two by throwing the weight of the car around by understanding how you weight is transferred and tires interact with the surface, also you're saving the car by countering forces you didn't intended to apply.
you're looking at a corner and deciding when to brake, how hard to brake and when to accelerate. in rally you might pushing the brake and accelerator at the same time.
with multiple cars you have to keep track of them in order to not get sent to heaven by somebody else since a bump might be able to be corrected but also that requires you to react instantaneously and accurately.
In short prepare to be owned for a bit, a lot of stuff on is simple in theory and completely different when deciding and executing on the spot. Just have to put in the time.

e: oh yeah and pay the :fivecbux: for content manager for assetto corsa. it is so ridiculously easy to mod/start races/change settings/etc. im kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 12, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Getting an iRacing subscription, and buying every single car and track.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I always point new drivers in my rally club at this guide that was written for real rally cars but is generally applicable to the game too, minus maybe the jump landing and/or water splash tips.

Beyond that, learn what the pacenotes mean (there's umpteen guides available on this), and I recommend turning off all assists except maybe ABS, and use manual sequential gearing. At the very least turn traction control off, it'll make it impossible to do a bunch of actual rally stuff. I also recommend turning off all the other visual garbage on the screen (progress indicators, timing, visual pace notes) and focus on listening to the calls and watching the road.

If you're more interested in rally, let me know and I can talk about it more. I'm not a top player but I'm usually in the ~15 seconds off of the top time range, so I'm not terrible either.

Otherwise, if you're not already doing it, make sure you're doing left foot braking, for both rally and road racing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bruc posted:

https://youtu.be/6-sGV2XXUeU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Intelligence? Determination? I'm out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The biggest thing when you're starting imo is just learn tracks with a single car, if you know the basic concepts of why a car behaves the way it does you'll get up to speed faster but just knowing where to brake and being able to turn consistent clean laps will put you higher than 80% of iRacing rookies. Also a lot of games now will have a "trainer car" which is basically looked at as a "if you can drive this you can drive anything" kind of thing when it comes to force teaching you good driving techniques. I've seen the Lotus 25 (which is DLC but if you're buying AC in 2022 you should have gotten ultimate anyway) brought up as this in AC though I think the Mazda MX-5 is as good for gaining speed with less chance of death. Then in PCars you have the Formula Rookie which was the first sim racing car I ever drove with a wheel.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
One thing I still struggle with is not getting fixated on the road right in front of my bumper. I kinda get tunnel vision and keep staring at the apex until it vanishes under the hood instead of shifting my view to the exit once I've already commited to a line anyway. I do much better when I avoid that behaviour.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

GhostDog posted:

One thing I still struggle with is not getting fixated on the road right in front of my bumper. I kinda get tunnel vision and keep staring at the apex until it vanishes under the hood instead of shifting my view to the exit once I've already commited to a line anyway. I do much better when I avoid that behaviour.

A better way to avoid apex fixation is looking at where you want to put your car next, that way you are looking at the braking point when still straight, the apex when turning in, the exit when on the apex, and so on

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Yep, get the book too.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Thanks folks. I'll definitely try sticking to just 1 car and game instead of hopping around. My problem was I think more over steering out of turns than anything I think if I stick with 1 car for a bit in pcars that will be the way to go, I was thinking of just running through the career and taking my time .

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The best advice I got early on from the Skip Barber book is:

- Thinking of grip as a finite currency that you can spend to either brake/accelerate or turn. If you're spending 100% of your grip to brake, you have to give up some braking to make available the grip necessary to start turning.
- Early on, you will improve lap times WAY more by exiting a corner cleanly and as fast as you can than you will braking late and entering the corner at speed. Especially corners that exit into a long straight. Coming out of a turn with more speed means you go faster through the entire straight after the turn. Focus on exits, not entrances at first.
- It is better/more recoverable to turn LATE into a corner than it is to turn in too early.

And the tip I internalized from Youtube videos:
- Learn a track by focusing on getting the line correct and then BUILDING UP SPEED OVER MANY LAPS. If you go at the peak of your abilities all the time, it's honestly pretty hard to learn any lessons. Work slowly up to your and the car's limit.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 12, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In iRacing I actually like to use time trials for the initial phase of learning tracks. It forces you to act like you care about keeping the car on circuit, to avoid getting off-tracks and rewards a safe build-up of speed with a little SR. After that I'll hop in a practice or test session and push the limits a little farther and figure out exactly where the track limits are. That said the new track limits system in iRacing is generally pretty straightforward, just check the rules tab for exact track limits

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

In iRacing I actually like to use time trials for the initial phase of learning tracks. It forces you to act like you care about keeping the car on circuit, to avoid getting off-tracks and rewards a safe build-up of speed with a little SR. After that I'll hop in a practice or test session and push the limits a little farther and figure out exactly where the track limits are. That said the new track limits system in iRacing is generally pretty straightforward, just check the rules tab for exact track limits

The only thing about this is you could spend a ton of time practicing something and then go into a practice and see that you weren't doing something properly that totally changes the speed you enter the next corner at etc. If you're experienced I think it's a good way to get some clean running on the track but if I'm learning a track I want to see what the aliens are doing first, then maybe do a test session after I know what the fast people are doing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone coming from arcade racers is probably more concerned with wrapping their heads around how a car handles than finding the optimal line for a track. I know this is an Unpopular Opinion(TM), but I think the built-in racing line gives a good enough approximation for a decent line to focus on car handling for a beginner. It gives a lot less to think about, which is a huge benefit.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bruc posted:

Thanks folks. I'll definitely try sticking to just 1 car and game instead of hopping around. My problem was I think more over steering out of turns than anything I think if I stick with 1 car for a bit in pcars that will be the way to go, I was thinking of just running through the career and taking my time .

I'm a probably bit biased (because I simply don't really like how pCars drives) but I would argue Assetto Corsa is better for starting out, in pCars quite a few cars have bad FFB and/or setups out of the box.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

Someone coming from arcade racers is probably more concerned with wrapping their heads around how a car handles than finding the optimal line for a track. I know this is an Unpopular Opinion(TM), but I think the built-in racing line gives a good enough approximation for a decent line to focus on car handling for a beginner. It gives a lot less to think about, which is a huge benefit.

I did that for a while and eventually turned it off and did better at learning tracks. But I do think it helped early on. Just, after you've learned a handful of tracks, think about turning it off for future ones. A lot of times you'll have corners that feel like corners from another track you already know.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The racing line trains you to think in a different way to what you actually need, so when you can't rely on it (when racing, when attempting to improve), you are totally unequipped to deal with the situation.

It's like learning to read written Spanish when you actually need to understand spoken German.

It's also not specific to cars as far as I know, so might just be giving you incorrect advice.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 12, 2022

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah it's worth noting that it's never completely right, and it's not going to help you with actual racing anyways, but I don't think it's horrible for a beginner to learn their first few tracks or whatever. Just don't treat it as holy writ.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The racing line is good for maybe your first three laps at a track to know when you're going left or right and when it's roughly time to think about braking but throw it away after that because it is so far from optimal it will be teaching you only bad habits.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm pretty new to sim.racing, I think the advice good ven so far has been good. Seconding (or whatever-ing) the discord, super helpful group for advice and random questions and all that.

I like doing a couple laps in second to kinda feel out a track, then slowly increase pace until I start to hit a wall and then go look at YT for lap guides as I find having some context on the track helps me understand what the fast guys are doing different, and then slowly adjust my lines to theirs. If I go straight to alien lines I'm all over the place overdriving and not getting clean laps, the slow build and shift is key for me.

I started with ACU and found the career mode and all the different cars a good way to get to grips with sim racing and once I felt like I had the basics down I went to iRacing. I thought it was a pretty helpful progression tbh, going straight to iRacing would have been a mess and I got all.ky early punting out of the way on ai instead of other people.

The top about grip being a finite resource and having to spend it against throttle, brake, turning, etc is a good way to put it and then you can think about it for each tire and how weight transfer works and stuff.

But yeah take it slow, it's better to be consistently slow and keep it on track than fast for two turns and bin it so you have a base to get fast from.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The last piece of advice I'll add is to not get too caught up in hotlapping, unless hotlapping is your thing. Do enough to learn the track, but then jump into a race. I used to get caught in a spiral of trying to improve my lap time more first and would end up just getting frustrated and driving worse and pushing braking points too far and so forth. Just getting in the car and having a race ended up being a lot more fun and you'll get faster that way anyways.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I took the Ginetta Junior car out on the Knockhill track for a good hour on manual (with automatic clutch) and definitely feel way more comfortable already as opposed to just loving around with random cars on random tracks, shocking I know. I've never driven manual and was surprised how quickly it felt almost second nature , I was barely thinking about it beyond noticing it was better to be in second or third gear out of turns.

Haven't fully got my VR legs though but almost made it an entire hour without getting nauseous but feeling much better about impulse buying the wheel and cockpit already.

Bruc fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 12, 2022

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Yeah the VR comfort will come with time. Make sure you're getting consistent framerates. I can be driving in VR for an hour or more at a time with no issues as long as framerate is stable but any sort of stuttering even from 90fps down to 85 and I'll end up with a headache and some nausea.

If you really want to test your VR legs, go in reverse and slam your brakes. That one still gets me.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Abisteen posted:

If you really want to test your VR legs, go in reverse and slam your brakes. That one still gets me.

Same, I'm not sure that'll ever go away.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just want to pop in and say, anyone put off by F1 2022’s abysmal VR performance on launch should take another look. It’s really improved since then.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just want to pop in and say, anyone put off by F1 2022’s abysmal VR performance on launch should take another look. It’s really improved since then.

I'll also say, I use VR exclusively for iRacing, I use a monitor for f1 2022 and it's fine for the simcade-y experience that it is. I'm also only playing through the Breaking Point campaign thing so it's maybe not as important as if you were racing real people.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I finished the F1 season already, but I wouldn't mind giving it another go with the improved VR performance. I dunno! It was just fine for me at launch though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I think it was a bit of a crapshoot for people. I saw streamers running it great, but my league friends and I had a terrible time.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Abisteen posted:

Same. Slowly coming to a stop also gets me, which is why I don't usually play Euro Truck Sim in VR.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

The only thing about this is you could spend a ton of time practicing something and then go into a practice and see that you weren't doing something properly that totally changes the speed you enter the next corner at etc. If you're experienced I think it's a good way to get some clean running on the track but if I'm learning a track I want to see what the aliens are doing first, then maybe do a test session after I know what the fast people are doing.

Oh yeah to be clear I do like one half hour session and thats usually enough to get close to the pace, I'm not pounding around for hours alone.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Can I pull off triple 27's with this setup or is my CPU/GPU going to hinder me? Solely iRacing.

Ryzen 7 3700X
32G
Radeon RX 5700

After I move in a few weeks and I have more space I want to upgrade my GT Omega to either accommodate 3 monitors or get a setup that has a triple monitor mount AND a seat (recommendations definitely welcome). I just don't know if my hardware is going to be able to pull it off.

I run iRacing fine with a single 27" and get over 100fps with how I have the graphics setup now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh, maybe this is good timing - I have a Ryzen 5 3600X which is worse but a Geforce 3080 Ti which is stronger, and last night I took my two 1080p 24" work monitors and rigged them up to try out triple-screen with my 34" in the center.

I get 100+ fps with high-ish settings and a full grid on a single 34" ultrawide, but three monitors was rough. It dropped me to around the mid-50s, with valleys down into the 30s. I didn't feel like dumping my graphics settings down because I am vain so I just took it all apart again, screw it. I'll wear the VR headset if I want more awareness.

Now got me looking at upgrading that processor, though...it's maybe time anyway.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The processor probably isn't going to improve your framerate if it went down by just increasing resolution. That's all GPU.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh, for sure - more that the twinge of inadequacy made me remember my CPU is three years old and maybe this upgrade will be the one that finally gets Combat Mission to run well on a single core. Not especially sim-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Squiggle posted:

that finally gets Combat Mission to run well

No chance in hell.

e: Also, gently caress Battlefront.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 14, 2022