Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

MoonCrab posted:

This Ayato Dori hyperbloom team really is pretty dumb. You have to stand in no less than 4 goddamn circles and frankly I'm tired of it.

I've been trying the same team. It's fun when it works, but it just get clowned on by enemies stepping 1 inch out of the circle of death. Hyperbloom teams don't have much of an answer to it either, with how stringent their comp requirement is. Ayato and Dori do feel like they have a lot of potential in bloom, though. I think the real thing holding them back is how little utility Collei and DMC bring.

My first attempt was with Tartaglia instead of Ayato, and that was probably the most frustrating team I've ever played. Each one already has a clunky as hell kit alone, but all together? *shudder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Does Kokomi's skill not have a chance to generate particles unless it deals damage? (Meaning doesn't work on shielded enemies similar to Raiden's skill)

I have 200% ER and no issues with Kokomi's burst uptime until I tried using her in co-op and found myself in the exact same hell as 0 DPS Barbara. I can keep some randos alive forever but the domain will never end because they do no damage. Kokomi without her burst isn't much better off than Barbara for damage. Seems only Jean can truly drag players through a domain by keeping them alive while dealing good damage. Far better to use Bennett/Shinobu and heal only those who want help. If Ganyu is going to stand in a corner missing charged shots the entire time then she is on her own. Everyone can die and watch me chip away at Tsaritsa for 5 minutes. This is the way. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just do it solo?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When I have to do these whack-a-mole commissions I really wish there was a little aim assist on console.

Sanctum posted:

Does Kokomi's skill not have a chance to generate particles unless it deals damage? (Meaning doesn't work on shielded enemies similar to Raiden's skill)

I have 200% ER and no issues with Kokomi's burst uptime until I tried using her in co-op and found myself in the exact same hell as 0 DPS Barbara. I can keep some randos alive forever but the domain will never end because they do no damage. Kokomi without her burst isn't much better off than Barbara for damage. Seems only Jean can truly drag players through a domain by keeping them alive while dealing good damage. Far better to use Bennett/Shinobu and heal only those who want help. If Ganyu is going to stand in a corner missing charged shots the entire time then she is on her own. Everyone can die and watch me chip away at Tsaritsa for 5 minutes. This is the way. :colbert:

Might need to choose a lower difficulty for co-op.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

RareAcumen posted:

When I have to do these whack-a-mole commissions I really wish there was a little aim assist on console.

I have had some success with my turret spam team. Pillars and lightning totems everywhere stand a decent chance of solving the puzzle on their own before time runs out.

RareAcumen posted:

Might need to choose a lower difficulty for co-op.

The coop character value shifts are definitely interesting. C2 Zhongli is obvious for shared shielding, but Venti's still excellent because he makes updrafts your friends can use. I helped people cheese a TON of tricky open world chests with revali's gale boosts.

I have also had a good time with Clam Qiqi, because you can recover from almost any mistake or coop lag while still dealing solid damage.

If I ever end up rolling Ayaka, I would be kinda interested to see whether you can stack up 2-3 of her and do an accelerated version of the Kaeya ocean-walk.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’ve finally done the Rank 35 quest and instantly jumped up from World level 3 to Rank 41 and World level 5. I am wise.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I had the best coop team for the Husk domain the other day, Ayato/Yelan/Kokomi/Raiden. Just a screen full of blue and purple numbers as everyone bursts at the same time and all of the wolves die instantly.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So I have a co-op question. Does it look at your comp of benched and unusable characters for determining stuff like elemental resonace or Gorou's buff? Or does it look at who is deployed by each player? The keqiq main site implies an advantage of running Garou as your support with Itto is in co-op others don't, so 'it's not competing with others' but it looks like when you co-op you're also not blocked from picking the same characters so I really don't understand the benefit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you cant pick the same characters as other people in co-op when youre doing actual domains or bosses

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Coolness Averted posted:

So I have a co-op question. Does it look at your comp of benched and unusable characters for determining stuff like elemental resonace or Gorou's buff? Or does it look at who is deployed by each player? The keqiq main site implies an advantage of running Garou as your support with Itto is in co-op others don't, so 'it's not competing with others' but it looks like when you co-op you're also not blocked from picking the same characters so I really don't understand the benefit.

Are you talking about this pro in the keqingmains guide?

That's not talking about co-op. In fact it doesn't matter in co-op at all since players are allowed to use duplicate characters.

It's talking about Spiral Abyss (and occasionally some combat events too), where you need to make two separate teams (sometimes 3 for events) and can only use each character once.
So for example, you cannot use Xiangling + Xingqiu on one spiral abyss team and Yoimiya + Xingqiu on the second team. Itto is cool for spiral abyss because his weird geo team uses basically no characters you would use in other teams so you never have the issue of "drat I can't run both of these teams at the same time".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are you talking about this pro in the keqingmains guide?

That's not talking about co-op. In fact it doesn't matter in co-op at all since players are allowed to use duplicate characters.

It's talking about Spiral Abyss (and occasionally some combat events too), where you need to make two separate teams (sometimes 3 for events) and can only use each character once.
So for example, you cannot use Xiangling + Xingqiu on one spiral abyss team and Yoimiya + Xingqiu on the second team. Itto is cool for spiral abyss because his weird geo team uses basically no characters you would use in other teams so you never have the issue of "drat I can't run both of these teams at the same time".

That makes more sense thanks!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

Make sure you’re catching the enemy with the pearl snapping. This can be harder to do on some bosses that jump around alot.

Kokomi is an excellent damage accelerator because she’s a constant hydro applier, both only a midling 4 star outside of her burst it if you’ve leveled her normal attacks.

You having to carry your team by playing with randos is your punishment for not playing with goons.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm kinda glad all the small mushrooms are on floors 9 and 10 of this abyss layout, because it's kind of a pain having to chase them all down, and we get to do it for the next year because those floor layouts don't change each patch.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally got a Wanderer's piece to complete my set for Tighnari. His circlet could be better but eh whatever. I'm pretty happy with how he shreds stuff now. Just gotta get some more talent mats for him sometime now mainly.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's an insane dendro goblet, especially so soon. I hate you

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Incoherence posted:

I'm kinda glad all the small mushrooms are on floors 9 and 10 of this abyss layout, because it's kind of a pain having to chase them all down, and we get to do it for the next year because those floor layouts don't change each patch.

UGH

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This patch has been out 2.5 weeks, and I've only now just encountered a Dendro specter. I swear it has to be the only one in the whole overworld.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I finally started farming VV like a grown-up Genshin player. Like a fool, I thought I should try playing into the ley line disorder, but it turns out I don't have the pieces to make a good physical team (or just don't know how to do it) and I'm much better off brute-forcing it with my A team that deals absolutely no physical damage whatsoever.

Putting Qiqi in my Heizou team looks stupid, but it's actually accidental genius; all the incidental Freeze turns out to be really helpful in that fight. It makes it much easier to avoid getting swarmed.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 12, 2022

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

FractalSandwich posted:

I finally started farming VV like a grown-up Genshin player. Like a fool, I thought I should try playing into the ley line disorder, but it turns out I don't have the pieces to make a good physical team (or just don't know how to do it) and I'm much better off brute-forcing it with my A team that deals absolutely no physical damage whatsoever.

Putting Qiqi in my Heizou team looks stupid, but it's actually accidental genius; all the incidental Freeze turns out to be really helpful in that fight. It makes it much easier to avoid getting swarmed.

You want a mobile semiconduct setup, because god knows noone in that domain is going to come to you and helpfully stand in a circle. Your phys guy can probably sort out applying their element enough, so you just need a convenient (off field) way to get the other on whoever you're hitting. I use Eula/Qiqi/Fischl/Raiden, which is nice for the extra crit and energy, and raiden and eula ensure that superconduct is on whoever you're trying to make dead at the moment. But assuming that's not an option, you'd want someone of the opposite element of your main attacker who can make a nice tornado around your guy, like kaeya/qiqi or shinobu (I think? I don't have her). Also don't forget a phys goblet on whoever you're using as your phys attacker, if that's not what they're normally doing for you

Also probably aim for the witch first, since she zaps around a lot and the agent will more or less come to you, hopefully at a good time to catch a burst. Then it's just a matter of mopping up the treasure horders who are all helpfully hiding in the corners and wasting time.

e. I wish the aranara book was a little less vague than "return to where you met [ara-whoever]," because I absolutely do not remember where in some vague geographic area I met anyone, doubly-so when it's been days since I did that part of the hours-long questline.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 12, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Part of the problem is that Qiqi is the only cryo character I've got levelled. I guess I could give her the Sac Sword and use her as my main attacker, but that seems silly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kaeya would give you cryo resonance and also another character that puts a cryo aura around you just to get free crit rate

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

She's not as good at it as Eula (or probalby Rosaria or Kaeya or Razor), but that's what my qiqi does. I like using her to mop up the last few guys/heal up everyone before I run the domain again. But skill damage doesn't really matter for superconduct, just how much your actual on-field guy will do. Assuming the dudes applying electro and cryo can do so without dying, you're pretty good; and really it's more a convenience to have 2 electro and 2 cyro. You could just as easily set up a physical anyone with an electro and cryo, but then you have to pay more attention to time, to actively re-apply superconduct. Using a cryo or electro as your phys guy and using their skill off cd means you've got half that solved. Even qiqi's more or less fine as the only cryo, even if it is, indeed, a rather silly idea.

Part of what makes the raiden/eula combination so handy is just that so long as you see the eye and remember to use eula's skill, you don't have to count at all.

e. ↑ Even if you don't want to properly build him, slap a bunch of ER artifacts on him and burst away (but also he'd probably be a more sensible choice for phys attacker than qiqi)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

This patch has been out 2.5 weeks, and I've only now just encountered a Dendro specter. I swear it has to be the only one in the whole overworld.

Huh, I ran into some in the first few days. They are pretty rare. Wasn't there some in some of the treasure hunting event encounters? I remember there being 3 dendro spectre and 3 electro. I thought they were mushrooms at first but they're immune to dendro so that makes them spectres.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Well. Ran a random 10-pull on standard and got a second Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds. Rather ambivalent about smashing my second 5 star weapon into the first one, though I definitely don't have a second person to even use it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the game should just have less annoying ranged enemies, personally. Like, do you ever feel like they are fun to deal with? What do they add to the game? It's not like they're even dangerous to melee-only builds, they're just annoying wastes of time.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Clarste posted:

I think the game should just have less annoying ranged enemies, personally. Like, do you ever feel like they are fun to deal with? What do they add to the game? It's not like they're even dangerous to melee-only builds, they're just annoying wastes of time.

Some character X patches from now will have a ranged attack that pulls ranged enemies all the way over to you.
When the inevitable mortal Kombat Collab comes.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Today I got bored of aggravating people with Yae and decided to take Kuki out for a spin. I had previously gotten her up to 70/80 but ultimately felt that she was a weaker Fischl and shoved her into the teapot.

Hyperbloom is absolutely nuts, folks. I thought 1229 was weak damage so I looked more carefully and it was actually 12229. And it's going off on multiple bloom seeds, so it basically exploded the mitachurls on my daily commissions. I don't even have that much EM on her, or the 4pc Dendro res shred.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Clarste posted:

It's fun knowing my built Aloy can deal with them while most meta-followers are annoyed

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lobsterpillar posted:

Some character X patches from now will have a ranged attack that pulls ranged enemies all the way over to you.
When the inevitable mortal Kombat Collab comes.

Or they'll rerun Venti's banner.

In the simplest form, ranged enemies give you a position you want to get to in combat (to whack 'em one) while melee enemies try to block you from it. This makes positioning something useful to pursue in addition to just big numbers, or just connecting with your own ranged attacks under melee pressure.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The eremites have such great animations
https://i.imgur.com/l2VGtOA.mp4

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have gotten two quests into Sumeru and I have decided my goal in this game is to obtain a maxed out Collei.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Glazius posted:

Or they'll rerun Venti's banner.

In the simplest form, ranged enemies give you a position you want to get to in combat (to whack 'em one) while melee enemies try to block you from it. This makes positioning something useful to pursue in addition to just big numbers, or just connecting with your own ranged attacks under melee pressure.

That's true, it's just that for specters that position tends to be "mid-air, over this giant valley/river/lake those bastards refuse to budge from."

My new annoyance with flying things is all the stuff that's targetable in sumeru. Nothing quite like autoattacking a mushroom instead of the thing that's shooting at you. Thankfully I'm on pc most of the time, so actually aiming is a thing I can do without wanting to dash my head open.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Started playing this yesterday and it’s pretty fun!

I just picked up Xingqiu off my Novice wish, went online to look up what he does, and apparently he’s really good according to some tier list - but as a “sub dps”?

I’m not trying to get hung up on tier lists this early in the game, but should I start pumping all the good poo poo into Xingqiu (over Noelle, currently)? I guess I’m mostly confused about that sub vs main dps distinction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'sub dps' is a character whose skills work while they're off-field. ie, xingqiu isnt going to be the main active character.

xingqiu's burst summons swords that float behind the active character and attack when they do. notably, they stay even when you switch away from xingqiu. so xingqiu's main purpose is just to switch in, use his skill and burst, then switch out to a character who wants to be on field. this is compared to noelle, whose burst makes her do extra damage when she attacks and doesnt work when she switches out.

what characters do you have right now?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

I like this game again :)

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Welcome aboard. Main DPS typically means they'll be spending most of their time onfield applying said dps. Subdps or burst support typically means they swap in, blow their load quickly, then they swap back out for another character (like the main DPS).

None of this matters, practically speaking, until around ar 30 or so when elemental combos start being important, but you can't really go wrong leveling him up since he is legitimately one of the best supports in the game.

Be sure to drop into the discord, there's fairly constant discussion and help available there.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reached rep 5 with Sumeru

the rewarded Gadget is in the Precious Items tab for some reason :confused:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Leathal posted:

Started playing this yesterday and it’s pretty fun!

I just picked up Xingqiu off my Novice wish, went online to look up what he does, and apparently he’s really good according to some tier list - but as a “sub dps”?

I’m not trying to get hung up on tier lists this early in the game, but should I start pumping all the good poo poo into Xingqiu (over Noelle, currently)? I guess I’m mostly confused about that sub vs main dps distinction.
Sub/main/support arent a useful distinction but people like using them. All that really matters is on-field or off-field - most comps want one on-field character max but plenty do well with zero primarily on-field characters.

Xingqiu is a textbook off-field character, because his skill is usable once every 21 seconds, is short, and his burst gains zero value from keeping him as the active character. He does way too much damage and is super OP but you'll need to have a lot of ER and/or sacrificial sword on him for that to become apparent (his OPness is due to having his burst basically always active when built around). Not many people understood how good he was until people started reaching AR45 and farming gold ER sands, so if its hard to keep his burst up for the first month you're playing that's totally normal.

Noelle is on-field because her burst doesnt do anything unless she stays on field left clicking.

Some characters like Bennett can be played as either on-field or off-field but even then you'll build him specifically for one role or the other.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 12, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Reached rep 5 with Sumeru

the rewarded Gadget is in the Precious Items tab for some reason :confused:

It's for cooking ingredients, not actual food. With it you can speed up the ingredient cooking using ore. Took me a while to realize that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Part of the joy of playing Yae/Fischl/Zhongli/Ayato is that I don't know what most ranged enemies do, and I never have to learn, or chase them.