Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lady of the lake is so good. the show is bad because the writers think they know how to write a good story better than sapkowski, simple as that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

lady of the lake is so good. the show is bad because the writers think they know how to write a good story better than sapkowski, simple as that

Almost none of the changes make sense or make the story better, I'm honestly just baffled.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it makes sense when you realise every moderately popular streaming series showrunner knows this might be their one big shot at prestige TV. If they want to be Mr Breaking Bad 2.0 they'd better show what they can do and not just retell some crusty old beloved author.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seriously I know wiki spoilers, game 1, and random chat and already am like "why change"

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's such an amazing drop in quality. I liked the first season, and really enjoyed the first episode of season 2, but then it just nosedives hard and mercilessly.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I loved the games but never read the books and I liked season 2. :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I actually liked 2, I just still don't get why they bothered to throw in so much stuff, but have it be so different. We literally watched it twice second time while wiki'ing characters to not be like "wait which old beard guy is the spy mage and which is the tower mage, and what the gently caress do either of them want?" Also Nilfgaard being a completely different thing so the shocking end twist is more "wait that's just a dude?" than "CIRI'S DAD??" Like I said I'm glad to have seen the show first. It could be more solid, if they're changing the story anyway, by just dropping and/or combining characters to tell a different story. Cavill-Geralt and most of the rest of the main cast can carry.

They way they talk about Emhyr like bare-minimum he should be some cackling Phoenix-Lord Ozai spewing fire from his limbs.

e: starting game 2 tonight prolly :cool:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 10, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All I know for sure is that the showrunner/producers got really drat lucky Cavill begged for the role because without his superhuman charisma dragging their garbage across the finish line this show would have been cancelled by now

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

as someone who didn't know about the books or games, I finished S1, S2 and I think what makes the show stronger than expected is the casting of the few main characters. Henry Cavil/Anya Charlota are great together, the singer guy is funny in all the right ways, etc. as long as they don't mess around with what makes their performances good this show has some legs imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wonder if they'll do Zoltan in the show or just roll him and Yarpen into one character. I'd be fine either way because the guy who plays Yarpen is awesome.

If they make it that far and the show doesn't get canned because Netflix.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So season 3 is officially in production.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Arc Hammer posted:

So season 3 is officially in production.

Oh good. Just literally finished watching this and was curious to know if it would.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I hope it will be as good as the first episode of S1 and the first episode of S2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol that the guy cast as Radovid looks older than the guy playing his dad Vizimir.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

they made him into a brother instead of a son

for reasons

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can't tell if that's a joke :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean unless they go deep into the games that doesn't change too much with the plot. Radovid in the books is just a pawn used by Dijkstra and Philippa and it's only after he grows up that he really gets wise to how they were manipulating him and he gets all vengeful. They could pretty easily change that to a jealous brother working with Redanian Intelligence to stage a coup without realizing that he's being played.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Strategic Tea posted:

Can't tell if that's a joke :negative:

Netflix described Radovid as following:

“Royal playboy and younger brother to King Vizimir, Radovid finds himself suddenly a man on the inside of the Redanian Intelligence. With his good looks and drunken charm, Radovid amazes with how incisive he can be in political affairs, but it’s all games until someone gets hurt.“

So from a paranoic into a drunken sexy shirtless playboy

stellar writing all around I'm sure

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kaedric posted:

Netflix described Radovid as following:

“Royal playboy and younger brother to King Vizimir, Radovid finds himself suddenly a man on the inside of the Redanian Intelligence. With his good looks and drunken charm, Radovid amazes with how incisive he can be in political affairs, but it’s all games until someone gets hurt.“

So from a paranoic into a drunken sexy shirtless playboy

stellar writing all around I'm sure

i hate netflix so much

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
eskel 2

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Also fun, they're doing what they did with season 1, and saying "hey, people like these side characters, right? Let's do their whole life story ages before they're supposed to actually show up in the series at all":

“Mistle is a member of The Rats, a gang of misfit teenagers who steal from the rich and give to themselves – and sometimes the poor. She is street hard, suspicious of everyone and out for revenge, until a chance meeting that will change everything.“

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hissrich what are you doing

how do they get season 1 so relatively correct and then veer off like this
stop it none of you are good writers drat it just adapt the material

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hissrich what are you doing

how do they get season 1 so relatively correct and then veer off like this
stop it none of you are good writers drat it just adapt the material

Adaptation via focus group

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm eh on the Radvoid change. He's really not a big player at all in the books so changing him from manipulated child King to manipulated jealous brother dolt King doesn't make much difference.

What they do with the background stuff isn't as important to me as the stuff they're doing with the main plot. Blood of Elves was always going to be hard to adapt to a TV show, but more stuff happens in Time of Contempt that I'm hoping they can keep Geralt and Ciri's story relatively consistent with the book.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm eh on the Radvoid change. He's really not a big player at all in the books so changing him from manipulated child King to manipulated jealous brother dolt King doesn't make much difference.

What they do with the background stuff isn't as important to me as the stuff they're doing with the main plot. Blood of Elves was always going to be hard to adapt to a TV show, but more stuff happens in Time of Contempt that I'm hoping they can keep Geralt and Ciri's story relatively consistent with the book.

This is kinda where my brain is also. I certainly enjoy the books better than the show, but the books are always gonna be hard to adapt due to the constant jumping around and narrative-within-a-narrative thing and such. And the books expect you to keep up. Like when Geralt is all of a sudden on a lovely barge with a snotty kid, it’s out of nowhere almost until he reads the letter and we connect the dots. Those kinds of transitions are really hard to line up for TV.

For the most part, I believe the show is good and sticks the landing. But I will say that every single awesome moment in the show that has a book counterpart, is indeed not as good as the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nothing is ever as good as the first time you try it, this is known. But I still like that I got to see Geralt absolutely dummy the Michelet Brothers in the show.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

Nothing is ever as good as the first time you try it, this is known. But I still like that I got to see Geralt absolutely dummy the Michelet Brothers in the show.

That fight WAS an absolute season highlight for me. The double aard from the floor and the dude landing on the sword was loving awesome!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I don't have any problems with the fight, but rather the characterization of the michelet brothers.

It's just a 'hey, here's some random mooks to fight' moment with no buildup. They literally walk in out of nowhere.

Just saying, it would have been very cool to see Rience trying to hire them, and the brothers going 'triple it and we'll do it' and Rience just instantly going 'sure!', and having the brother realize they hosed up before they get wrecked.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kaedric posted:

I don't have any problems with the fight, but rather the characterization of the michelet brothers.

It's just a 'hey, here's some random mooks to fight' moment with no buildup. They literally walk in out of nowhere.

Just saying, it would have been very cool to see Rience trying to hire them, and the brothers going 'triple it and we'll do it' and Rience just instantly going 'sure!', and having the brother realize they hosed up before they get wrecked.

That would’ve been cool. Basically the scene from Sunny where they buy three weeks of a timeshare and think they’re geniuses.

Michelet brothers don’t get got, they gon’ get.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

This is kinda where my brain is also. I certainly enjoy the books better than the show, but the books are always gonna be hard to adapt due to the constant jumping around and narrative-within-a-narrative thing and such. And the books expect you to keep up. Like when Geralt is all of a sudden on a lovely barge with a snotty kid, it’s out of nowhere almost until he reads the letter and we connect the dots. Those kinds of transitions are really hard to line up for TV.

I think as a cold open for an episode Geralr suddenly being on a barge is fine. It certainly is easier to understand a quick jump forward chronologically than their three timelines in s1

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've just finished S2. Overall it was good fantasy series but pretty poor Witcher one. Just as with S1 changes to Cahir and Nilfgaard were baffling. And now Elves do biblical plagues, Ciri can summon and command monsters, Yennefer goes from being baby-less crazy to magic-less crazy
I hope they won't go with "big bad of the season defeated in last episode" in next one.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

With all the commotion being made about the LOTR and GOT series, it seems the exact right time to finally start watching The Witcher.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This show is almost entirely carried by the beautiful muscle man

The plot is mostly nonsense

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, Yennefer's most consistent trait seems to be that she's totally nuts. Her introduction to Geralt is brainwashing him into committing a bunch of crimes because he's, like, mildly patronizing or something?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

This show is almost entirely carried by the beautiful muscle man

The plot is mostly nonsense

Almost thought I was in a House of the Dragon thread.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, Yennefer's most consistent trait seems to be that she's totally nuts. Her introduction to Geralt is brainwashing him into committing a bunch of crimes because he's, like, mildly patronizing or something?

I mean that's accurate to the books. She mind controls him then, cheats on him openly with Istredd while they are together, tries to manipulate him into killing a dragon for her then assaults him with magic when he refuses.

The show portrays her as much less of an rear end in a top hat then the short stories do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She's less calculating in the show. In both book, show and video game Yennefer is vindictive but she's much more thorough in the books because she knows how to twist a knife. She lacks that spiteful side in the show so she's still angry and quick to hurt people but it's more impulsive than premeditated.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Yennefer in the short stories and Yennefer in the novels are almost completely different characters. In the short stories she is like this chaos elemental that sometimes crosses through Geralt's life and leaves things in tatters when she departs (and she always departs). He's in love with her, but she treats him (and every other dude she's banging) as ephemeral things that entertain her for awhile before she moves on. Going right from the short stories to the novels was kind of whiplash, because all of a sudden she gives a poo poo about Geralt and shows commitment to other human beings, basically two traits she lacked in the short stories.

EDIT: Yeah, she is super spiteful both the short stories and novels though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yennefer in the short stories and Yennefer in the novels are almost completely different characters. In the short stories she is like this chaos elemental that sometimes crosses through Geralt's life and leaves things in tatters when she departs (and she always departs). He's in love with her, but she treats him (and every other dude she's banging) as ephemeral things that entertain her for awhile before she moves on. Going right from the short stories to the novels was kind of whiplash, because all of a sudden she gives a poo poo about Geralt and shows commitment to other human beings, basically two traits she lacked in the short stories.

EDIT: Yeah, she is super spiteful both the short stories and novels though.

I mean, it’s still clearly her in both the novels and short stories. The only difference is she inherits a “daughter,” and that makes her much less selfish than she was previously.