Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Can I still buy a jaz drive, I was always jealous of those. A whole gigabyte of storage, in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Can I still buy a jaz drive, I was always jealous of those. A whole gigabyte of storage, in your pocket.

On an actual loving hard drive platter in a caddy, it was amazing and made me think of the old fridge-sized HDs with cartridges on top

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
There's a known issue with MS Defender where a new feature they've added, Inbound Connection Filtering, can start blocking traffic unexpectedly.

No fix as of this week, workaround is:

Set-MpPreference -DisableInboundConnectionFiltering $true

Then stop and start WD service

sc.exe stop windefend
sc.exe start windefend

It *also* will block Putty sessions - you connect and log in to sshd, but then it blocks responses to the client. Just spent a couple hours trying to figure out why ssh was hanging then 'ohhhhhhh'. Instant fix.

"Inbound connection filtering is a new Network protection feature, so there will be no lost functionality or risk for disabling the feature". Yeah go gently caress yourself Microsoft.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
So MS Defender is...a firewall now?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Faster these days to list what Defender isn’t.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

So MS Defender is...a firewall now?

I can't remember when it wasn't

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Chaser: it took MS 3 days to identify this "known issue" during a major incident where our Citrix VDI was basically non-functional for thousands of client machines.

We tested it in minutes and implemented it in an hour. Down three days with MS involved from hour 3.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Sickening posted:

So for all of you that read this thread I want to give you some insider info.

"All Mom and Pop pharmacies in the united states are the most unsecure pieces of poo poo that might exist today."

The companies that support anyone who isn't CVS or Walgreens are solutions so poo poo and so insecure, that I can say with 100% confidence that if any of you have done business with any non-chain pharmacy that your information has been exfiltrated. I might go into the details of this one day, but understand that this isn't an exaggeration. Know and understand that any information you give them is considered public info.

I was very bored this morning and I was intrigued by this post because for some reason I didn't know mom and pop pharmacies were a thing.

So I pulled up google maps and flew around my area looking for one.

Finally found one with their own website and domain. Hmm, wonder what shodan says about the open ports on this IP address? Surely just normal business ports right, 443, maybe 25?

Oh, cool.

What do you all think the secret port knocking code is to unlock the bonus level (445)?

FungiCap fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 5, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FungiCap posted:

I was very bored this morning and I was intrigued by this post because for some reason I didn't know mom and pop pharmacies were a thing.

So I pulled up google maps and flew around my area looking for one.

Finally found one with their own website and domain. Hmm, wonder what shodan says about the open ports on this IP address? Surely just normal business ports right, 443, maybe 25?

Oh, cool.

What do you all think the secret port knocking code is to unlock the bonus level (445)?

Who do you think is sending you all the pharma ads???

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FungiCap posted:

Oh, cool.

Knock on them in the following order:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if I'm saying the quiet part out loud, but four years into working with Thales-now-Entrust HSMs and I feel like this whole ecosystem is built on technology and software that is held together by hacks and barely thought out beyond "we wrote it once in 1996 and lol who got time to come up with something better??"

It just feels so incredibly clunky, and every time I run into a problem the answer is some weird hack or esoteric setting that no human on earth would think to implement.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just out of curiosity, are you using on-prem hardware? I'm evaluating Azure Dedicated HSM v Thales DPOD (SaaS HSM) for a future project and I'm curious what types of issues you run into.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm using on-prem nShield devices, but when I took the entrust training they out and out told me that the Azure aaS is just a stack of nShield boxes so I think you're getting basically the same experience. Right now I think you get dedicated units since a device can only service a single security world/domain, though they mentioned that future firmware will allow for multiple security worlds which probably leads to colocation opportunities so your risk profile/tolerance with the aaS model might change at that point.

Can't speak to Thales DPOD sadly since I mostly work with nShields -- my only other experience with HSMs is Thales PayShield line for mobile wallet stuff, but that was probably six or seven years back at this point when ApplePay and GooglePay were first getting stood up.

I'm finding it hard to pinpoint any specific issues that have outright blocked me, but just the whole ecosystem with the hardservers and RFS servers and remote administration feels really bolted together and is a lot of moving parts, especially when you need to try to troubleshoot when the application team invariably complains that the HSM is being a bottleneck. Logging for troubleshooting is mostly done at the PKCS11 level and if you suspect the trouble is at the hardserver->HSM level then (ANECDOTALLY) good luck getting their support to give you any specific instructions instead of generally pointing you at some KB article. They have some super smart guys working there - if you get Walter as your support rep then you're in good hands. If you don't, then.. well..

So I also complain but it's been four years for fairly smooth sailing other than it's just a big tangled web.

Looking at an nShield deployment gives me the same feeling I get when I look at a rack that has no cable management or coherent layout. Yeah, this is a working setup, but good luck with all that.

I'm happy to chat if you have any specific questions on my non-NDA'd nShield experiences, feel free to drop me a PM

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 8, 2022

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lots of hardware is like that - generally a brilliant person/team comes up with the initial concept, but when the secondary crew (not-so brilliant) comes afterwards, they're tasked with just "get (new) function working" and the product slowly falls apart.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah, support has generally been hosed in the past but we've insulated ourselves with a Thales-specific vendor for upcoming implementation. Luckily with most HSMs it's generally set it and forget it.

The cloud based solutions with Azure and Thales are still same hardware SafeNet Luna, FIPS 140-2/L3 validated, etc.. just not in our data center. I'll reach out if I have anything specific though. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No prob! The SafeNet stuff (at least the stuff that isn't just their rebranding of PayShield -- at that point I think it was just PayShield and not Luna Payment bla bla bla) is something that I haven't really been exposed to but have always been curious about. Always wonder how the other half lives ;)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 8, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1567943389139591173

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if there's a future where Twitter dies, Elon dies, and mudge walks away rich, that would be hilarious

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/wbm312/status/1567981004555698176

Why would a payment platform need a security team, anyway?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

wonder who gets to keep them PCI compliant now, lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

An outsourced MSSP for checkmark compliance maybe. Not a great look. Probably not doing well on finances.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm uh.. I'm not sure Patreon could make itself less appealing.

But here we are.

e: lol their MSSP is just going to start lobbing false positive alerts over the fence to who now? Their infrastructure team? Developers? This is such a laugh because I'm not involved

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 8, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

wonder who gets to keep them PCI compliant now, lol

You see, they're already compliant, the thing is already implemented, so there's really no need to keep a team working on something they already have.

My money says they'll get a new team and explain that the old team had a bad culture that didn't care for the business. By which they mean "said stuff was unsecure and that money should be spent fixing it"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

This is great

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/danieladaramola_mentoringmatters-ugcPost-6972620299229900800-tJkK?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_android

Video

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BonHair posted:

You see, they're already compliant, the thing is already implemented, so there's really no need to keep a team working on something they already have.

My money says they'll get a new team and explain that the old team had a bad culture that didn't care for the business. By which they mean "said stuff was unsecure and that money should be spent fixing it"
Outsourced it is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Diva Cupcake posted:

Outsourced it is.

When I think of aspects of an organization that should be outsourced to the lowest bidder, security is definitely number one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When I think of aspects of an organization that should be outsourced to the lowest bidder, security is definitely number one.

Especially when transactions are your entire business and you absolutely need to be PCI compliant.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

eh, sox404 / pci / whatever compliance via MSSPs isn't necessarily totally rear end

mostly rear end but it can be passable

if they made this move because of the salaries of five people though, yeah maybe they're going the rear end route

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Outsourced it is.

I hope whoever made this decision is also the person whose mailbox is now filling up with tier1 SOC escalations about "excessive firewall deny pls investigate" lol

The phrase "isn't this what we pay YOU to do" will be uttered at Patreon within five days; I would bet money on that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

eh, sox404 / pci / whatever compliance via MSSPs isn't necessarily totally rear end

mostly rear end but it can be passable

if they made this move because of the salaries of five people though, yeah maybe they're going the rear end route

Yeah but MSSPs as your ONLY security resource rarely goes well. To augment a dedicated team? Sure.

Most MSSPs are made of Analysts trying to get their foot in the door and quickly rotating out for a better gig.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

One of our biggest security firms has a system that is set up so that to update the code, you log on through labyrinthian multi-hop terminal server connections to India and code directly, with a second delay for keypresses etc.

Because it had to be SO secure.

The database of all their alarm installations and all other crap that this system uses? It runs MySQL 5.1 on 32-bit Windows Server, and is exposed to the internet (MySQL login: root) via PHPMyAdmin 3.2, powered by Apache 2.2.11

And the password is… hideous

Looks like it was all updated in 2011 at the latest. I just… can’t even.

Yes they’ve been told about SSH pubkey access etc but no they won’t do anything.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

F4rt5 posted:

And the password is… hideous

An easy win is to change the password to hideous1!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I will preface this by saying I'm not very strong on certificates. I have a case where I am trying to get single sign on working on wireless clients and I can't seem to get the presented certificate in an acceptable format for windows. SSO isn't going to work unless the cert chain is perfect, I get that, but there has to be something else I am missing here.

Basically, the clients will not trust the radius cert without user interaction, even though I created a CSR using the NAC's openssl and ran that through the same windows cert server that the domain root comes from.

I'm running out of things to try. It feels like I have a context out of whack in there somewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it an actual trust issue, or are you just seeing clients prompted to use that cert when they try doing RADIUS auth? My understanding of WPA Enterprise in Windows was that to avoid users having to do anything you had to deploy the connections through group policy / config management and the certificates were part of that.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Is it an actual trust issue, or are you just seeing clients prompted to use that cert when they try doing RADIUS auth? My understanding of WPA Enterprise in Windows was that to avoid users having to do anything you had to deploy the connections through group policy / config management and the certificates were part of that.

It's prompting on a seemingly valid certificate that it should trust. It's a big enough org, I'll have to grab one of the server folks to check anything on that side. I've done this using a full windows NPS but it always seems to get weird when there's non-microsoft in the mix.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
As much as it pains me to say, unless you have strict regulatory requirements, wpa2/3 enterprise with peap(password) is more than adequate for a conventional ad infra.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

As much as it pains me to say, unless you have strict regulatory requirements, wpa2/3 enterprise with peap(password) is more than adequate for a conventional ad infra.

It's all WPA2 using PEAP. I'm just trying to streamline it as much as I can. Things like password changes are *very* cumbersome, and usually clients have to forget/re-add the secure network. More often than not, users can't be arsed and just hop on the public and VPN in, as convoluted as that is :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Farking Bastage posted:

It's all WPA2 using PEAP. I'm just trying to streamline it as much as I can. Things like password changes are *very* cumbersome, and usually clients have to forget/re-add the secure network. More often than not, users can't be arsed and just hop on the public and VPN in, as convoluted as that is :(

You can set it up to use the AD profile password so the password change is transparent as long as the user always changes the password before expiration.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

You can set it up to use the AD profile password so the password change is transparent as long as the user always changes the password before expiration.

That's the problem i'm having with the certificate. If you try to do it programmatically in any way, it just fails and blames the cert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Farking Bastage posted:

hop on the public and VPN

This is your new supported and recommended configuration.