Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I finally got my phone to not believe it's in the southern hemisphere for Google Sky Map earlier, that relates and has been a pet peeve for like a month

(Full calibration requires tapping yourself in Google Maps for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

When I was first driving my mom would tell me north is "toward the lake"

As if it's a loving mountain peak

I can't see the goddamn lake from downtown mom

Did you not know where the lake was? I assume there was only one significant lake in the vicinity? Like, if someone tells me something is "toward the river" from where I am, I know which direction to go because there's only one river they'd likely be talking about from this location.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

She was referring to it like it was a visual landmark for north, which something below horizon level is decidedly not.

Yes, by dint of the lake being to the north, I was aware northward travel would also be lakeward.

Thanks for the great questions

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

north is opposite the sun on midday. also you can just kinda feel it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The sun being in the south was really loving confusing when I was in the northern hemisphere.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some people are so bad with spatial poo poo it really is amazing they've made it to adulthood. Talking people who don't know how to get between work and home without GPS

I can drive between work and home without a GPS, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which way north is if you held a gun to my head. Cardinal directions just don't stick in my mind. I have to think about them REALLY hard.

I do at least know my left from right though, Jesus.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We don't have a sun in Rochester NY

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im always perfectly aware of my position relative to the north pole, a master of the magnetic field

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In new places I don't always intuitively know north (but if the sun visibly exists I do, of course) but I can't imagine not knowing which way is north basically wherever I am in the city I live. Even if I'm in a part of the city for the first time I must have gotten there from a direction, and I know the cardinals at wherever I came from, so that's just one translation away if there was a turn or something.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pet peeve: people who don't live somewhere with convenient mountains to navigate by

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Phosphine posted:

In new places I don't always intuitively know north (but if the sun visibly exists I do, of course) but I can't imagine not knowing which way is north basically wherever I am in the city I live. Even if I'm in a part of the city for the first time I must have gotten there from a direction, and I know the cardinals at wherever I came from, so that's just one translation away if there was a turn or something.

The city where I grew up was laid out in a grid. Back then I could tell you which way was north! But nowadays I live in the suburbs with winding streets, etc. Yeah if I'm on the highway heading north I could tell you that way is north, but once I get off the highway and take a few turns? Nope, sorry boss, I have now lost it! I have a vague idea of where the river is and I know that thing runs north to south, but even it takes a few turns to get there so it's not a sure thing!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Y'all're looking at the sun?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

"No, GIR, the earth sun sets in the west! Staring at it should give me our relative position. Now watch me amaze you!"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hi I live in the northeast. What's this sun of which you speak? :v:

I kid, but a lot of times it's cloudy and I can't see the thing. Even if I can, the sun doesn't get that high in the sky even in the middle of summer so "rises in the east and sets in the west" are more of a... suggestion.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RFC2324 posted:

pet peeve: people who don't live somewhere with convenient mountains to navigate by

All mountains look alike to me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is peak bigotry

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm getting old enough to start thinking about where we want to end up as a final destination. When I was growing up I always loved the weird diy-demihippie relatives' and family friends' plans - stuff like building a cement house out on the canals, building a cabin out on a hillside in a scenic area of the country, or converting the old fishing cabin on wherever lake to be a solar powered permanent home. These were all real things done by lower-middle and middle-middle class people in my family's circle. Be the weird Jim Henson-looking tweed guy (that I always associate with 90s Episcopalianism and the Phantom Tollbooth for some reason) that lives in a treehouse overlooking a valley.

Looking around now, all these things are impossible in the US unless you're rich. I hope boomers realize and appreciate how many cool things were available to them and only them - no one before and no one later. And I guess only a subset of them, as an acknowledgement of the racism of an earlier era.

So the pet peeve is wanting to do something you've always kind of assumed was possible and realizing that it was never in the cards.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i would like to live in a remote cottage in the azores

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Why no cardinal directions??" has been a recurring thing in this thread and comes down to people thinking of directions in fundamentally different ways. If you asked me how to get to the hospital I could tell you the exact sequence of what streets to follow for how long and what turns to make, but there's no way I'd be able to tell you it was north or south relative to current location.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dip Viscous posted:

"Why no cardinal directions??" has been a recurring thing in this thread and comes down to people thinking of directions in fundamentally different ways. If you asked me how to get to the hospital I could tell you the exact sequence of what streets to follow for how long and what turns to make, but there's no way I'd be able to tell you it was north or south relative to current location.

and alot of that is based on where you live. you can always tell the people who live in the same place they grew up because they take navigation so for granted, while people who move around alot understand that how you do it is dependent on how you think about directions and what the local geography is like

hence me disliking people not living near mountains. I got soooooo loving lost the first time I lived somewhere flat

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My partner can't remember left and right without putting both of her hands up and staring at them for a bit. Makes for fun adventures on the freeway.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Animal-Mother posted:

My partner can't remember left and right without putting both of her hands up and staring at them for a bit. Makes for fun adventures on the freeway.

Hey I also do this! No mnemonics for left and right have ever stuck with me and I consistently get them backwards if I don't do the hands thing.

East and West are slightly easier but I still have to focus hard to visualize a compass rose to not get those backwards

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Did you not know where the lake was? I assume there was only one significant lake in the vicinity? Like, if someone tells me something is "toward the river" from where I am, I know which direction to go because there's only one river they'd likely be talking about from this location.

Where I live, "toward the lake" would be supremely unhelpful for reasons that you imply.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Animal-Mother posted:

My ex would do this, too. I've never seen it done before or since, I thought she was unique in this behavior.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Just write left handed. People will comment on it every single loving time they see you writing something, so you'll never forget which is your left!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I used to mimic writing to remember which hand was which. After getting married I realized a wedding ring is incredibly convenient reminder, and a lot faster in traffic too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

how do you function without instinctively knowing your right from your left hand? this feels like it would be a crippling condition

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Even when I'm using Google Maps, I sometimes have to figure out what direction to go in by telling myself (for example) "go the wrong way down a one-way street", rather than "turn left/right".

edit:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Brawnfire posted:

This is peak bigotry

:golfclap:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

how do you function without instinctively knowing your right from your left hand? this feels like it would be a crippling condition

I know on an intellectual level I'm right handed, but if you told me to pick up a pen then asked which hand it was in, my instinct would be that that's my left hand.

I was always taught the right side would 'feel more important', but text starts on one side of the page, toolbars go on that side too, that side 'feels like the important side' bc it's where I instinctually look to start things, surely that's the right side then?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

RFC2324 posted:

I get this sometimes and it’s like my brain just freezes up and forgets for a few seconds, it’s weird.

I got disqualified from a game of Twister at school when I was 7 because of this, the teacher called me in out in front of the entire class and made me go sit down :negative:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hehe, oh no hokey pokey for me, gotta go make an important phonecall. Go ahead without me. (sweating profusely)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

As a freelancer, I get to do that hateful "what do you charge?" dance with every new client. They come from a variety of industries and pay for my work in different ways (monthly retainer, hourly, per unit, etc.), so it's not a one-size-fits-all thing. My latest went so far as to say the budget on this particular project they're hiring me for is fixed, without a lot of room for negotiation. Well, how much do you have in the budget to pay me? Pay me that!

I already hosed up once many years ago when I quoted (out of nowhere) what I thought was a royal ransom to a (related) company; they agreed and I was thrilled. Later, someone on their team told me, "We were glad to find you--and boy, you were really cheap!" :negative:

e: plus now there's a huge currency conversion issue whereby payment in their currency winds up paying me about 30 percent less in my own currency, so if I want to cover my rear end for now, I should charge 30 percent more...until poo poo evens out, I guess? Man, poo poo on this

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Sep 12, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

It's sometimes called "directional dyslexia" which isn't accurate but does make clear what's happening

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RFC2324 posted:

I barely function and I can’t remember basic poo poo but I know dean cundy shot Jack and Jill and I’d remember that quicker than which way is left or right

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

SLOSifl posted:

Hehe, oh no hokey pokey for me, gotta go make an important phonecall. Go ahead without me. (sweating profusely)

You couldn’t pay me to get anywhere near the hokey pokey again, too many bad memories :shepface:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I barely function and I can’t remember basic poo poo but I know dean cundy shot Jack and Jill and I’d remember that quicker than which way is left or right
what the gently caress, gently caress you for this

hopefully i'll forget this again while still being able to instinctively know directions

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never forget The man who shot Jurassic park shot dunkaccino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLuQQH1OHA

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It's probably just me and my own YouTube history but I love that any video even semi-related to Jack and Jill always ends with a recommendation for RLM's video with the SCAM thumbnail.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shopping. Having to make decisions about things I don't know anything about, and there's no reliable information about because it's all advertising and anyway no one else has the exact same use case or preferences, and I don't have the money to just buy whatever and see if it works out. And it doesn't matter if I bought this type of thing before because the exact same product is never available again. Really like this but it's worn out? Get another one the same. Nope. They don't sell those any more. Pick one of these three alternatives that are each different, in their own way, from the one I have and hope it's as good. It won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Shopping. Having to make decisions about things I don't know anything about, and there's no reliable information about because it's all advertising and anyway no one else has the exact same use case or preferences, and I don't have the money to just buy whatever and see if it works out. And it doesn't matter if I bought this type of thing before because the exact same product is never available again. Really like this but it's worn out? Get another one the same. Nope. They don't sell those any more. Pick one of these three alternatives that are each different, in their own way, from the one I have and hope it's as good. It won't be.

My favorite is when they quietly rename something without anything indicating it. I'm looking at you Frontera.

For years I would buy "Frontera Classic Seasoning Chipotle Pepper Adobo," no big deal, I'll just get a new one. Except I couldn't find a new one, I assumed that it was a supply issue. I continued not to find a new one, week after week.

I had to do some internet detective work, which was not easy for a simple jar of pureed chipotle and adobo. Eventually I reasoned that they quietly changed the name to "Frontera Chipotle Pepper Adobo Seasoning Grilling Glaze & Sauce Starter." Even changed the color on the label from red to orange.

I had looked at that orange jar so many times, and pondered if it was the same stuff or if it would be thicker or sweeter or whatever. My old jar has been long gone at this point, so I can't exactly tell, but I'm 90% sure it's the same stuff. It shouldn't be that difficult to add "new look!" to the label, so morons like me aren't confused about it for two months.