Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The conversation between the person who posted and myself ended with her saying that:
- it sucks for the poor but they were going to be convicted anyways.
- why don’t they ever do anything for the victims?
- my domestic dispute has not been resolved since it happened in 2021 so why care about this.
- a bunch of cops, judges and prosecutors do not like this so I do not like this.
- I do not trust politicians because they are probably just doing this for money or votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

QUESTION AUTHORITY

BACK THE BLUE

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The conversation between the person who posted and myself ended with her saying that:
- my domestic dispute has not been resolved since it happened in 2021 so why care about this.
- a bunch of cops, judges and prosecutors do not like this so I do not like this.
- I do not trust politicians because they are probably just doing this for money or votes.

expecting logic out of voters is like expecting obedience out of cats. A nice surprise when it happens but lol its not going to 99% of the time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I like the last one. Politicians are just doing this for votes. Uh, that’s the point of a republic.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Doing good things people like is cheating at politics

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I also liked that when I pointed out that sheriffs, prosecutors and judges are politicians, suddenly her “I don’t trust politicians but I trust sheriffs, judges and prosecutors” did not change.

Also, she told another commenter that Bailey was the way to solve this.

It all hurts my brain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kieth Wheeler's campaign put an ad on my door with a nail file and a couple breath mints in it. Or maybe it was placed by his opposition because insinuating I have bad hygiene is not going to endear me to his campaign.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

I have the utmost respect for canvassers who have to talk to willfully ignorant dipshits hoping to convert 1% of them. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I do not have the patience for that. I would absolutely end up screaming in the face of some MAGA fuckwit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Big Black Dick posted:

I have the utmost respect for canvassers who have to talk to willfully ignorant dipshits hoping to convert 1% of them. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I do not have the patience for that. I would absolutely end up screaming in the face of some MAGA fuckwit.

It’s not the maga fuckwits that are hard to deal with; you expect them to be idiots. It’s the people on your own side who say poo poo like ‘I only vote in presidential years’ and don’t get why that’s pants on head stupid, or the people who think ‘well the Democrats have been in office awhile so I think it’s time to give the Republicans a turn’ like governing is some kind of turn on the swings at the playground or the ones who claim they want just about everything on the progressive platform you could name then tell you they’re a Republican and refuse to believe that they’re against everything they just said they were for. The one trick ponies are also fun, it either boils down to ‘abortions kill babies’ or ‘muh taxes’ every single time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Most campaigns know who their voters are and aren’t going to send Dem canvassers out to diehard republicans households, so you don’t have to deal with MAGA nuts very much. Canvassing or calling people is still something that is absolutely at the bottom of my list of things to do. If there is a hell, that would be my punishment for eternity.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Man, I agreed to be an election judge and I have not received any information about it. I also have not received my permanent vote by mail set up. I contacted our county clerk and they said that they are working on it.

It would not surprise me if he is just taking his time because he does not care about voting by mail.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

What county? I did the 2020 election and I didn’t really get any info until early October. Although this is reminding me I should sign up for that again.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Early voting in Illinois starts September 29th

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Speaking of which, my redpilled downstate mom shared this particular bit of paranoia on FB -- I guess they think those JB-sponsored mail-in ballot requests are a pernicious scheme to get your voter data so that they can yell at you on the phone to vote for Pritzker at gunpoint or something? It's startlingly incoherent.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
who is manufacturing and distributing the "BJ Prickster" and other such puerile politics lawn signs lol

like are enthusiastic patriots doing small runs of these at custom shops or is some org ordering them and handing them out

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Hewlett posted:

Speaking of which, my redpilled downstate mom shared this particular bit of paranoia on FB -- I guess they think those JB-sponsored mail-in ballot requests are a pernicious scheme to get your voter data so that they can yell at you on the phone to vote for Pritzker at gunpoint or something? It's startlingly incoherent.

Wait, they call you and tell you who to vote for AFTER you mail in your ballet?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Wait, they call you and tell you who to vote for AFTER you mail in your ballet?

no after you mail in the request for a mail in ballot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I asked for my mail ballot weeks ago, where's my phone call?!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Also worth noting this is PEAK Boomer paranoia, as they're the only reliable cohort to actually answer the phone from a stranger.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, I agreed to be an election judge and I have not received any information about it. I also have not received my permanent vote by mail set up. I contacted our county clerk and they said that they are working on it.

It would not surprise me if he is just taking his time because he does not care about voting by mail.

I did the same for the last election and was never contacted to work after going through the training. We were told they had enough workers when we asked the Effingham County Clerk office.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

midwest ink posted:

I did the same for the last election and was never contacted to work after going through the training. We were told they had enough workers when we asked the Effingham County Clerk office.

Depending on which party you were aligned with that was probably accurate. Its republican judges they have a hard time finding.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Just... say you're a Republican. You don't have to actually be one.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That’s def true because some of the “Republican” judges I worked with were definitely not.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

Depending on which party you were aligned with that was probably accurate. Its republican judges they have a hard time finding.

Down here it is the other way. They fill R judges but never D ones. I was asked by a member of the county D party to be a judge.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Just... say you're a Republican. You don't have to actually be one.

Some places will check which ballot you requested in the primary (remember, Illinois has closed primaries).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oracle posted:

Some places will check which ballot you requested in the primary (remember, Illinois has closed primaries).

"Operation Chaos was in full effect!"

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Illinois has open primaries - you can pull whichever party’s ballot you want on primary day. Closed means you must be a registered member of the party to vote.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Stutes posted:

Illinois has open primaries - you can pull whichever party’s ballot you want on primary day. Closed means you must be a registered member of the party to vote.

Yeah but:

Voters are not required to register with a party to participate in the party primaries, but they do have to publically choose one party's ballot to vote. This is considered a public declaration and can be challenged by other voters.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Billeeejo/status/1569697628199469061?t=DDaM4baR-frNmodYFlZG5w&s=19

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:lol: wut

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I didn’t have that one on my bingo card.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Horseshoe theory is real.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Latest wingnut weekly is out

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

borkencode posted:

Latest wingnut weekly is out

Geeze, that's some vile poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

So do they make it clear that those are political ads? Maybe there is no law against it, but it doesn’t seem right that you can pretend to be a legit paper while the whole thing is filled with obvious political attacks.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

So do they make it clear that those are political ads? Maybe there is no law against it, but it doesn’t seem right that you can pretend to be a legit paper while the whole thing is filled with obvious political attacks.

They have to declare it, yes, but it's usually some tiny print hidden away that says "This is a paid advertisement by such-and-such PAC". It's intentionally misleading.

Anyone that would believe what that garbage contains isn't going to realize it's not an actual newspaper so the damage is done even if it's technically legal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Big Black Dick posted:

They have to declare it, yes, but it's usually some tiny print hidden away that says "This is a paid advertisement by such-and-such PAC". It's intentionally misleading.

Anyone that would believe what that garbage contains isn't going to realize it's not an actual newspaper so the damage is done even if it's technically legal.

Never, ever underestimate the stupidity and obliviousness of your average citizen of the US.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Spent a part of today talking with students that “no, the new law doesn’t turn Illinois into the purge.”

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Nash posted:

Spent a part of today talking with students that “no, the new law doesn’t turn Illinois into the purge.”

I would really love more context on this.

Edit: Just slapped my forehead after realizing this is about the cash bail law. Nevermind, but at least I'm not as dumb as your students apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lager posted:

I would really love more context on this.

Edit: Just slapped my forehead after realizing this is about the cash bail law. Nevermind, but at least I'm not as dumb as your students apparently.

Kids are using apps and watching youtube videos for school that deliver paid ads right to their impressionable little eyeballs, and political ads don't get filtered.