Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

tarbrush posted:

They weren't though. The Dolphins did not play well, or do anything particularly exotic, and the Patriots couldn't really put them under pressure in any phase of the game.

I was just basing that off of the initial impressions from this thread and the score. It wasn't as bad as the Cowboys' offense last night, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That Dugger dude was he the young CB giving Miami guys hell? The one who open field tackled Hill several times and had a PBU against Wilson?

Dude showed up yesterday

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Amy Pole Her posted:

That Dugger dude was he the young CB giving Miami guys hell? The one who open field tackled Hill several times and had a PBU against Wilson?

Dude showed up yesterday

He’s a safety but he was the only actually good player yesterday so maybe.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol Flacco had the 2nd best PFF grade in the AFCe this week.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m about 99% sure i noticed the name twice. That’s a strong showing.

Great play by very young DBs yesterday.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Diva Cupcake posted:

tua with zero butt throws

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Allen and Flacco both had no fumbles, but the former had a FUM grade of 79.8 while the latter got an 82.3. Would love to see the coveted 99.9 FUM game.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay but that post DID get me to check the one true advanced metric, Trent Dilfer's QBR. Guess the Patriots offense WAS worse than the Cowboys's!

(Allen is 2nd behind Mahomes, Tua is 5th!)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

With no big time butt throws? Flawed metric imo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What was the butt throw?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

What was the butt throw?

Ehud posted:

tua with zero butt throws

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

"My understanding is that Bill O'Brien would have been amenable to coming back here," Breer said. "... He was going to let Bill and (Alabama head coach) Nick (Saban) handle this. And ultimately, Bill Belichick didn't want to bring Bill O'Brien back because he was afraid he might lose him after a year."

O'Brien, who's in his second year as Alabama's offensive coordinator, is a seasoned coach who served as the Patriots' offensive coordinator in 2011 and spent seven years as the Houston Texans' head coach from 2014 to 2020. So, it's highly possible he would have returned to Alabama or taken another coaching gig after a year in Foxboro.

But what about Caley, who is one of the longest-tenured offensive coaches in New England (hired in 2015)?

"He's been the one who has had to explain the offense and essentially teach the offense to a lot of people inside that building," Breer noted of Caley. "But he doesn't have a contract past this year. In fact, my understanding is that one of the reasons he didn't sign an extension is because he couldn't get clarity on his role.

"And now it's the same thing with Bill O'Brien where, because Bill Belichick doesn't know if Caley's going to be here past this year, he doesn't want to have to go through the process of replacing him (in 2023)."

This is some galaxy brain poo poo right here. Get the guy no one wants as OC cause you'll never lose him.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Josh Allen

Nov 6, 2002

I don't dislike Josh Allen.

But I could learn to.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This is some galaxy brain poo poo right here. Get the guy no one wants as OC cause you'll never lose him.

Patricia is a suck up who owes whatever possibly remains of his continued career to him and so will never overstep his bounds. Also he’s basically free. That’s the biggest reason why he’s here as the de facto OC.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fsif posted:

What was the butt throw?

Mac Jones underthrew a receiver by a decent margin in that the dolphin defender covering him got nailed in the booty with the ball

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mac Jones underthrew a receiver by a decent margin in that the dolphin defender covering him got nailed in the booty with the ball

butt throw

https://twitter.com/BenBrownPL/status/1569041423768461312?s=20&t=igEE2INg182vxT8E4WVePw

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Patricia is a suck up who owes whatever possibly remains of his continued career to him and so will never overstep his bounds. Also he’s basically free. That’s the biggest reason why he’s here as the de facto OC.

It's funny cause Bill has been so cutthroat with players throughout his tenure who don't perform up to expectations but apparently coaches have an endless leash.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's funny cause Bill has been so cutthroat with players throughout his tenure who don't perform up to expectations but apparently coaches have an endless leash.

Well for a long time he had one specific player who could cover up a lot of roster deficiencies if he wanted to send a message or simply made a bad decision.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

fsif posted:

Okay but that post DID get me to check the one true advanced metric, Trent Dilfer's QBR. Guess the Patriots offense WAS worse than the Cowboys's!

That stat just loving loves Tua for some reason. The explanation I always saw last year was that he's really good at avoiding sacks, which he did avoid a few, but he also took a few due to holding on the ball for too long.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/bradcongelio/status/1569351062963851267?s=46&t=bRJFFmZ-txefRiEj1yoV2A

Oh boy

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Also none of the idiotic stuff he did bit him in the rear end. There were a few throws that QBR has down as sensible throwaways that were in fact wierd one handed shovels while in some kind of contact.

He also had a pick dropped, and Tyreek stole another one

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Why specifically QB Hits? Like, I'm sure the Bills defensive line played well because I saw it, but QB Hit % instead of a more comprehensive pressure/hit/sacks is such a dumb graph.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Why specifically QB Hits? Like, I'm sure the Bills defensive line played well because I saw it, but QB Hit % instead of a more comprehensive pressure/hit/sacks is such a dumb graph.

Because it's a good stat to use to make the Bills look the best.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Okay well we had seven sacks so

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

But last year did make me sour on pressure % or pass rush win rate as useful statistics. The Bills were like 8th in pressure percentage and Hughes was something like in the top 10 (5?) for pass rush win rate, but Hughes finished with 1.5 sacks and quarterbacks would still leave the pocket and complete passes.

Amazing how much better it is to watch Von and Phillips actually finish plays.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

LightReaper posted:

Okay well we had seven sacks so
Sure, but chart is made to look like the Bills were an outlier. They had 27 pressures. Steelers had 26. Chiefs 28. Commanders 29. Baltimore had 32.

fsif posted:

Because it's a good stat to use to make the Bills look the best.
yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

I foolishly thought hitting a defender in the rear end was a bad play but PFF corrected me

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

PFF has beclowned themselves.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah, Tua had a few head scratchers but he was the better QB of the two yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3A-q7UKWOA

It gets ugly at the end. Why risk it so often just to throw away.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

But last year did make me sour on pressure % or pass rush win rate as useful statistics. The Bills were like 8th in pressure percentage and Hughes was something like in the top 10 (5?) for pass rush win rate, but Hughes finished with 1.5 sacks and quarterbacks would still leave the pocket and complete passes.

Amazing how much better it is to watch Von and Phillips actually finish plays.

Facts

Pressure means a lot less against mahomes than say yac jones

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Diva Cupcake posted:

Agree. Especially since the Bills are likely #1 or close to it in those other stats as well.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DJ Reed balled out and had an INT and apparently his dad died before the game. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/D7_Reed/status/1569083172494663683
https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1569340934969597959

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

PFF has beclowned themselves.

????????

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1569368114181062656?s=46&t=lnu_Fp4CuRTFVJTJTFiDdw

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Missed FG. Missed PAT. Shanked punt setting up a Ravens TD.

Checks out.

Also fire Braden Mann. That dude sucks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah this is his bullshit rear end covering excuse. The truth for the current woes isnt “we sold out for a few years” it’s this:

No one thinks Bill's 2018-2020 drafting was good. But in terms of money, he did sell out for the end of the Brady era. 2019 was a hail mary with Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon, and Antonio Brown that didn't work. Last year you can argue either way, that Bill was stupid to spend a bunch of money on marginal FA talent without knowing who his QB was, or that he did it because he wasn't sure he could get a QB and wanted a passable run game with Cam if he was stuck with him. I look at it as Bill being unwilling to throw away a season, which is what really should have happened. 2020 should have been a complete tank year, with the goal of 2021 spending money to build a strong foundation rather than really trying to compete last year. 2022 should have been a year where refinement happened, with 2023 FA providing an opportunity to pick up the necessary pieces to become a contender again. Instead, Bill keeps committing to short-term things that can't bring the level of success that is expected for the Pats, and if his career ends in failure that's going to be the reason why. It's possible he pulls some old fashioned Johnny 5 Aces GM bullshit next year, but it's got to be his last shot and if he doesn't nail it the team will be an even bigger mess once he's gone.

It's hard to judge players well when the coaching staff is a complete mess, which is another thing that falls squarely at Belichick's feet. If he had committed to rebuilding a good coaching staff, you could make more concrete assessments of players, but with a hodgepodge mess there is and will continue to be a temptation to ask how any given player/group would perform with better coaching.

You could also argue that Bill hosed up by not trading Garoppolo at the peak of his value and committing to Brady long term, but if you're going to tell me that in 2016 you knew that Brady would legitimately play until 45 with no serious injuries and no decline, well good for you and go have fun in Vegas. Bill's strategy 2016-2018 resulted in 3 SB appearances and 2 championships, the idea that a team should have targeted something MORE optimal than that is insane. The issue isn't the inevitable slump after that, it's the lack of a coherent strategy to come out of it.

It's still nothing more than a mild annoyance to me because the team has won so goddamn much I can't really complain, but it is definitely nowhere near optimal and that's notable.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 12, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Pats FA spending last year was better then you'd normally get from FA's.

They signed 4 expensive guys (which okay, that's pretty ridiculous right there) and had a major hit in Judon, and your typical A money for B player in Henry, and two A money for C players in Judon and Aghalor. Add on Bourne as a B hit for C money and that's a good FA period when you're trying to build and develop a rookie. That left them hamstrung for this year in FA, but that's fine, they can be free of everything but the Judon contract this year if needed. The coaching stuff is at best a major concern, so yeah, bang on that all day. But the FA stuff and Belichick's work in the draft the last 3 offseasons has looked pretty positive.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Week 1, grain of salt, etc. but at best the Dolphins will get a wildcard playoff game this year, tua will be judged as not good enough and have to move back in with his dad, and a divorced Tom Brady will play for Miami in 2023, which will be the year...thanks to Brady, which many of us won't be comfortable with. Brady will finally retire for good, but not before invoking a black magic ritual ensuring Miami never wins the division again.

Or maybe it's wait and see.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

K8.0 posted:

No one thinks Bill's 2018-2020 drafting was good. But in terms of money, he did sell out for the end of the Brady era. 2019 was a hail mary with Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon, and Antonio Brown that didn't work.
Weren't all of those guys on the vet minimum? They were scrap heap pickings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Weren't all of those guys on the vet minimum? They were scrap heap pickings.

Thomas was cut before week 1 and Gordon was playing for peanuts yes.