Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yeah a lot of Magic's problems go away once you accept the truth of capitalism into your heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Man, I truly love this draft format but it is challenging as hell. Really getting a read on when to prioritize lands is such a mindbend, its not great if you're getting all your domain pay offs and you end up not able to get the dual lands to make the deck work!

Great stuff, kudos to WOTC on this one.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
PSA: Meria's Outrider has reach.

I have now lost two, if not three, draft games to that exact fact. And I never remember.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Hivemind has now had several successful drafts without bomb rares or signpost multicolor uncommons, just a deluge of good W/x common and uncommon creatures. Turns out curving out and having some removal is very loving good in white.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, it's definitely possible to do well with only commons and uncommons, my only trophy didn't have a single rare.

But equally I was in Silver at the time which has something to do with it. And one of the matches the opponent never did anything.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm also really enjoying this format. The drafts are really challenging and you really gotta think rather than just getting locked into whatever archetype and just slamming whatever picks are in your colours

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just won a match I was absolutely not meant to win by casting 3 invoke despair in a row turn after turn. Slightly bullshit card lol

I opened a metagame challenge before the deadline and did similar things

Black sure is a colour! Although funnily enough, I'm pretty sure i would have lost the first GW enchantments match had he not timed out after winning the first game. Oops!

List was a simple monoblack, I don't know if this is the best version. I liked Evolved Sleeper a lot but I've seen people cutting them, so probably wouldn't craft 4 if you're tight on wildcards. I'm actually kind of interested in trying out Okiba Reckoner Raid.

Deck
23 Swamp
2 Cut Down
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Graveyard Trespasser
4 Infernal Grasp
2 The Meathook Massacre
4 Invoke Despair
4 Reckoner Bankbuster
1 Roadside Reliquary
2 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
4 Tenacious Underdog
4 Evolved Sleeper
4 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse

Sideboard
4 Duress
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 No Way Out
2 Cut Down
2 Sorin the Mirthless
2 Soul Transfer
2 Unlicensed Hearse

Also wouldn't play the No Way Out in the sideboard- I never wanted to side it in once.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 12, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Second ranked game of the season, opponent got their money's worth

Still clawed victory back thanks to my meme friend Arcane Bombardment + Invoke Despair. Did literally nothing until turn 6 though :v:

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

A Moose posted:

That only happens when you rely on winning drafts to pay for drafts. Once you realize drafting is a black hole where all of your disposable income goes, losses stop mattering so much. You can always buy more gems, getting good at draft is EXPENSIVE and there's really no getting around that.

Oh yeah, I only ever buy mastery passes and even then not the last two so I'm not spending on it. I just wish it could be a little more forgiving. I just want to do more drafts ultimately!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lord Banana posted:

Oh yeah, I only ever buy mastery passes and even then not the last two so I'm not spending on it. I just wish it could be a little more forgiving. I just want to do more drafts ultimately!

A lot of the people in the "just want to do more drafts" run multiple accounts because so much of your free gold comes from the first couple wins and daily quests.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Still clawed victory back thanks to my meme friend Arcane Bombardment + Invoke Despair. Did literally nothing until turn 6 though :v:
Care to share your list? I'm kinda struggling to find a decent Arcane Bombardment deck post-rotation.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So guess what I learned today. The discounted mana cost on Vanquish the Horde only applies when it's in your hand. How did I find out exactly? By pulling it with Sorin at exactly 8HP in a game I was very much about to win. :shepface:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

So guess what I learned today. The discounted mana cost on Vanquish the Horde only applies when it's in your hand. How did I find out exactly? By pulling it with Sorin at exactly 8HP in a game I was very much about to win. :shepface:

Actually the discount only applies when the spell is on the stack. At all times the mv is 8. This is why you can still disdainful stroke it when it is played for WW.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

anilEhilated posted:

Care to share your list? I'm kinda struggling to find a decent Arcane Bombardment deck post-rotation.

It's very much still in flux and almost certainly not worth blowing wildcards unless you, like me, want funny matches more than you want wins. Also plenty of obvious upgrades in manabase and the black sweeper but that's where I am with my wildcards today.

Deck
1 Island (SNC) 265
3 Maestros Charm (SNC) 199
4 Big Score (SNC) 102
4 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
1 Swamp (SNC) 267
1 Cut Down (DMU) 89
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Stormcarved Coast (VOW) 265
1 Maestros Theater (SNC) 251
4 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
4 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
3 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
3 Burn Down the House (MID) 131
2 Invoke Despair (NEO) 101
1 Drag to the Bottom (DMU) 91
3 Arcane Bombardment (SNC) 101
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
1 Play with Fire (MID) 154
2 Impulse (DMU) 55
3 Syncopate (DAR) 67
2 Rona's Vortex (DMU) 63
1 Aggressive Sabotage (DMU) 78
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
2 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
1 Haughty Djinn (DMU) 52
1 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
1 Mountain (AFR) 277
4 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107

The low end is the most important - I only play Fable on 3 if my opponent is aggro so I don't have to worry about countering a Sheoldred or Haughty or w/e

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why do i get rolled by Boros Aggro in literaly every draft i do, in every format, lmao

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Legit Businessman posted:

Actually the discount only applies when the spell is on the stack. At all times the mv is 8. This is why you can still disdainful stroke it when it is played for WW.

Is this how all cost reductions work, like the common cycle in dom united? arena displays the reduced cost when it is in your hand, but would I be able to take a reduced cost card with inquisition of kozilek?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

snyprmag posted:

Is this how all cost reductions work, like the common cycle in dom united? arena displays the reduced cost when it is in your hand, but would I be able to take a reduced cost card with inquisition of kozilek?

Yeah - Arena displays the discounted cost for playability reasons, but the mana value of any non-X-cost card is pretty much set in stone*. Inquisition can’t take a Tolarian Terror even even the person holding it could cast it for one mana.

*edit: actually i don’t have think this is entirely true for MDFCs, split cards, or the disturb cards, but those are edge cases

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 13, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My dumb GW humans tribal brawl deck is so bad post rotation

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Not the exact situation discussed above but this is a good explanation of how cost reduction works

https://youtu.be/OWOWLSs5qFk

This guy’s channel is great for nerding out about mtg rules

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Draft

Not much to talk about in the draft, took the best card for the first few picks, grabbed pump spells mid pack 1 to play something similar to my previous Gx beatdown deck in case the Defender deck didn't materialize, then had an open door for the Defender deck all the way through and also got to open some great green rares for fun on top of that. I passed some Vineshaper Prodigy's late but didn't miss them over the Destroy Evil and Floriferous Vinewall I took over them, and my 4 slot was going to be real crowded already. P3p10 likely should have been Shield-Wall Sentinel over Gibbering Barricade but I got hypnotized by the idea of sacrificing bird, soldier, beast tokens for value instead of, you know, killing my opponent with them.

Final deck arguably could have played Eerie Soultender for yet more Wingmate Chaplain recursion on top of two Urborg Repo's, the mana was real easy in this deck. Had an absurd game where my opponent had Danitha and played Sheoldred twice, and also had two of the Soldier lord with multiple Captain's Calls, it was sweaty as hell but somehow all the pieces came together and I snuck it out.

Result: 7-0 in plat. I'm not just cherry picking my good events to post here, I'm somehow 34-7 and 4/5 on trophies. I've been getting some great decks and running real hot so far, I expect to come back down to earth when I hit diamond-- or I might swap to bo3, we'll see!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh cool and my first opponent this draft has 3 Tolarian Terror and 4 cantrips in their literal first 10 cards

i absolutely loving hate this loving game

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

oh cool and my first opponent this draft has 3 Tolarian Terror and 4 cantrips in their literal first 10 cards

i absolutely loving hate this loving game

Tolarian Terror seems like a weird choice for a boros deck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
and my next opponent also has three of them

why, literally why do i only get matched against these kinds of assholes

Lone Goat posted:

Tolarian Terror seems like a weird choice for a boros deck

yes i'm so glad of this variety :shepicide:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well after trying to use it and having it always backfire miserably, I can safely confirm that The Phasing of Zhalfir is hot garbage.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Well after trying to use it and having it always backfire miserably, I can safely confirm that The Phasing of Zhalfir is hot garbage.

Makes me want to build a standard deck mixes a lot of tokens with enter and exit the battlefield effects, then uses The Phasing of Zhalfir to trigger them all at once.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

instead of being mad at the tolarian terror enjoyer, become one

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Urcher posted:

Makes me want to build a standard deck mixes a lot of tokens with enter and exit the battlefield effects, then uses The Phasing of Zhalfir to trigger them all at once.

I run something like that in my weird Azorius tokens/Raff deck. Still loving around with it but adding a one-off Phasing of Zhalfir has definitely worked really well, I don't think I've lost a game where I was able to cast it. So far though I've def drawn that card at just the right moment several times, so some of it is luck.

This one is less about the ETB/LTB effects though and more about just having a lot of 1/1s and payoffs for that. I think the only ETB/LTB I have is Lunarch Veteran, but that does combo super well with Phasing since I'm either up a card or some life (or, ideally, both!). I'm wary of actually using the phasing effect at all though since waiting a turn gives a window of opportunity.

That said it's 100% a card for a very specific type of deck and thus garbage in limited.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Currently 4-2 with this draft

https://sealeddeck.tech/ENil7w4rtB

Been a lot of fun. P1p1 was the defiler of dreams but was kinda cut out of blue, started down a GR domain thing and ended being able to pick up a few blue spells when there wasnt much else to pick. Picked up a whole bunch of the UR taplands so I figured what the hell heres a sorta half UR spells, half domain stompy deck? Havent gotten to do the thing with tatyova yet. It's a bit slow with all the taplands. Not really enough blue to turn the defiler on but who cares the best card in the deck was always going to be the rootwallas anyway. Didnt see a single tolarian terror or meridas outrider the entire draft :(

E: this was definitely the most interesting draft I've done so far and the first one where I tried to be very mindful of taking a "gardener" approach and I'm pretty pleased with what I ended up with. Shame I dont have 17lands cuz I'd be interested to hear what you ppl think of the draft portion

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 13, 2022

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

I run something like that in my weird Azorius tokens/Raff deck.

Mine sharing the deck list? Sounds like something I could build from my tiny collection that's mostly an esper mid-range deck.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Urcher posted:

Mine sharing the deck list? Sounds like something I could build from my tiny collection that's mostly an esper mid-range deck.

Sure! It's very much a work in progress and a will-never-be-competitive fun experiment, but it's definitely been a very enjoyable challenge to pilot and constantly tweak. The counterspell and removal suite could definitely be improved I think.

4 Lunarch Veteran
4 Resolute Reinforcements
2 Raff, Weatherlight Stalwart

4 A Little Chat
3 Make Disappear
3 Protect the Negotiators
2 Consider
2 Fading Hope
2 Lantern Flare
1 Valorous Stance
1 March of Otherworldly Light

3 The Wandering Emperor
1 The Phasing of Zhalfir
4 Wedding Announcement
1 The Celestus

1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
1 Otawara, Soaring City
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Deserted Beach
7 Plains
6 Island

Sideboard: (even more a work in progress!)
2 Knockout Blow
2 Fading Hope
2 Cathar Commando
2 Spell Pierce
2 Destroy Evil
2 Unlicensed Hearse
2 Negate
1 Disdainful Stroke

The basic gameplan is very dependent on the opponent and the hand, but optimally I want to mostly play on the opponent's turn, dropping 1/1s and only counterspelling key plays. A Little Chat should be used to sac 1/1s that are about to die anyway from removal or chump blocking and turn them into card advantage. It's quite grindy and not super strong, but the #1 appeal is the wonderful experience of watching opponents scoop when you bait Meathook and counter it with a kicked Protect the Negotiators.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

It's very much still in flux and almost certainly not worth blowing wildcards unless you, like me, want funny matches more than you want wins.
That is pretty much exactly my deckbuilding philosophy, although it seems I'll have to wait a bit due to wildcard shortage. Thanks!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

brugroffil posted:

My dumb GW humans tribal brawl deck is so bad post rotation

I've made one with a number of DMU cards and its been pretty fun, I'm only silver ranked though so I doubt it'll keep holding up. Cards like King Darien, Queen Allenadksjiw Ruadach, Resolute Reinforcements add a lot to a token deck

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

and my next opponent also has three of them

why, literally why do i only get matched against these kinds of assholes

yes i'm so glad of this variety :shepicide:

Post your decks

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BrianBoitano posted:

Why would you keep this hand lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm... Bant Jinnie Fay/Queen Allenal/Phasing of Zhalfir deck...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Murmur Twin posted:

Lol meanwhile I’m trying to make micromancer + vesuvan diplomacy good in standard, I feel like there has to be a combo deck in there somewhere and I wanna find it
Try Vesuvan Duplimancy + Obscura Interceptor. The new Interceptor bounces whichever spell you've played back to your hand while digging through your deck, plus it has a better statline.

You get an army of 3/1s and 4/2s with lifelink, and if the opponent tries anything, you can burn a 1-mana cheap spell to bounce their stuff too. And once all those connives get to the second Duplimancy, it's pretty much a hard lock.

vv good point, run both

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 13, 2022

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Try Vesuvan Duplimancy + Obscura Interceptor. The new Interceptor bounces whichever spell you've played back to your hand while digging through your deck, plus it has a better statline.
You might want both, depending on the exact number of 1 mana spells in your deck. A rummage is great but a tutor is better... plus paying the full esper could be a little unreliable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Artisan event. My favourite.
The usual netdecks seem to be boring aggro only, so plan accordingly.
That alchemy set reprinted a lot of the old artisan favourite cards, making them legal. Especially deadly dispute.

Anyways walls are playable, based amazonian's standard list:

Vampires are practically unchanged and still great fun. Nobody expects the mysterious blood illness.
I also already saw a very strong domain deck that attacked with 10 power double strike trample on turn 3.
That queza deck from the picture also looked like fun.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Aaand, just saw a dragon tribal deck that didn't run any standard legal card outside of the manabase. Only alchemy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm gonna need to re-work all my artisan and pauper stuff aren't i, I am pretty sure I have no functional decks for either format at the moment.

I'm feeling Balmor based tempo...