Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

It's for cooking ingredients, not actual food. With it you can speed up the ingredient cooking using ore. Took me a while to realize that.

that would have been useful had I not made it my quest to get those to 2000 each along bit ago :mad:

gandlethorpe posted:

This patch has been out 2.5 weeks, and I've only now just encountered a Dendro specter. I swear it has to be the only one in the whole overworld.

Only ones I have ever encountered were in the treasure hunting event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Oops. I forgot that Sumeru has rep quests. I've been doing the Inazuma ones just to get the weekly BP out of the way out of habit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Wave posted:

Sub/main/support arent a useful distinction but people like using them. All that really matters is on-field or off-field - most comps want one on-field character max but plenty do well with zero primarily on-field characters.

Xingqiu is a textbook off-field character, because his skill is usable once every 21 seconds, is short, and his burst gains zero value from keeping him as the active character. He does way too much damage and is super OP but you'll need to have a lot of ER and/or sacrificial sword on him for that to become apparent (his OPness is due to having his burst basically always active when built around). Not many people understood how good he was until people started reaching AR45 and farming gold ER sands, so if its hard to keep his burst up for the first month you're playing that's totally normal.

Noelle is on-field because her burst doesnt do anything unless she stays on field left clicking.

Some characters like Bennett can be played as either on-field or off-field but even then you'll build him specifically for one role or the other.

there's two things that matter: on-field or off-field, and how much they benefit from investment in levels/gear. that second one is kinda important for new players as they start from square 0 and decide who to level up or give their first 4-star sword to or whatever.

people sometimes use support to mean low-investment units like diona but sometimes they use it to mean high-investment off-field characters like xingqiu which is just confusing

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kaeya and XQ will actually be able to no-effort the early game pretty well for what it's worth, since together they can freeze enemies consistently.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the blacksmith requirement that you need rep 4 in Sumeru was buggy. I was able to do them all this time. Just unlocked rep 4 today, and I've already got the good spots marked from doing them.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Do we know anything about dendro archon's kit yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Do we know anything about dendro archon's kit yet?
she will probably be an off-field dendro applier like dendro traveler is, but besides that no.

we should get beta leaks of her when 3.1 starts on the live servers in a few weeks.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

Also Honkai words

Elysia seems insanely popular for a character that's only been in the game for about a year I've noticed. They seem to have made efforts to include her in every single marketing thing they've done for the past several month and it's half of what the fanbase seems to be talking about right now. I guess she's kind of like that games "It" character for the fanbase right now kind of like Raiden was around a year ago for Genshin.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

Elysia seems insanely popular for a character that's only been in the game for about a year I've noticed. They seem to have made efforts to include her in every single marketing thing they've done for the past several month and it's half of what the fanbase seems to be talking about right now. I guess she's kind of like that games "It" character for the fanbase right now kind of like Raiden was around a year ago for Genshin.
The Almighty Shogun deserves no less.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Thanks for all the advice!

Endorph posted:

what characters do you have right now?

Just the five free ones plus Xingqiu. I’m only adventure rank 10 so I’m assuming nothing of what I do at this point matters? Everything dies pretty smoothly.

No Wave posted:

Sub/main/support arent a useful distinction but people like using them. All that really matters is on-field or off-field - most comps want one on-field character max but plenty do well with zero primarily on-field characters.

Okay this makes sense. So I should probably stick with Noelle as my field character, at least until I get a better main dps character. I’m a fan of spin to win characters anyways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah when youre only at ar10 it really doesnt matter, stuff just dies when you whack it. at this point id say your team should be noelle/xingqiu/amber/main character just because amber and main character are good for puzzles in monstadt.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Switch the MC to geo powers when you find a statue that can do that so you can feed more geo energy to charge up Noelle's lightsaber and you'll be golden for a very long time.

Noelle's not the best in the game at any one thing but she's a pretty strong character who will still kill everything even into endgame if you keep the burst energy flowing, and she can be used in basically any situation due to how neutral geo is. Plus she's tanky and heals herself as long as you keep swinging.

You'll definitely want to get some levels and a good weapon on at least one non-Noelle character though since the boss you need to fight for noelle's level-cap increase is immune to geo damage.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Endorph posted:

yeah when youre only at ar10 it really doesnt matter, stuff just dies when you whack it. at this point id say your team should be noelle/xingqiu/amber/main character just because amber and main character are good for puzzles in monstadt.

Yeah you can just play 'what's fun' for a big part of the game, I got all the way to Inazuma with a team that was made up almost exclusively of 'bad' units, and they worked just fine through level 60 content with underleveled artifacts and weapons and never leveling talents.
I just made sure the team was a bunch of elements and could trigger reactions.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AR45 is probably when the world level increases to such a point where you have to start getting serious about artifacts at the least. But that's a long time away and you will probably have a better understanding the game by then. Til then just play what's fun. The most important thing will be keeping their level and weapon level up to par.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly even in the hardest content in the game you can use 'bad' characters all you want so long as the teams theyre in make sense

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Dreaming of the day Amber gets a legit team

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

some of hu tao's best teams involve her, though she isnt exactly adding much damage to those, shes more just enabling vv shred and vapes and activating the instructor buff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
specifically she's only there to hold the 5* bow Elegy for the End which gives a teamwide 100-200em and 20-40% atk buff (at R1 to R5). if you don't whale for that bow, yanfei with TTDS is much better

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
2 weeks of 3.0 left and there's 0 news about :

1. Obtainable prototype aranara
2. Anniversary glider

I don't think we're gonna make it...

Endorph posted:

some of hu tao's best teams involve her, though she isnt exactly adding much damage to those, shes more just enabling vv shred and vapes and activating the instructor buff

Not a hardcore Hu Taoist but I'm pretty sure AnemoTao teams are loving dead. Can Candace do any off-field applocation whatsoever? If she can then they're doubly dead lol

Hydro Res (reasonably) strong (and doesn't require you to do a bunch of fiddly rotation nonsense in the middle of battle)!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

Is she actually popular? I don't pay much attention to the fandom.

They have been pushing her pretty hard lately. Two story updates that are mostly just "hey Elysia is great huh let's all talk about how great Elysia is" and "here's Elysia's backstory isn't she great Elysia is so great," ending with a zero stakes boss fight with her before Mei and player control leave and then Elysia beats the arc villain in the most underwhelming Animated Short yet. Also am I remembering wrong or has Mei not been in any of these since her fight with Kiana?

So, I mean, she's not exactly popular with me, that's for sure.

She didn't even have the courtesy to follow up her focus episode by getting a horse and an awesome playable 2v1 boss fight with a god like Durandal did. That poo poo was awesome.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You'll definitely want to get some levels and a good weapon on at least one non-Noelle character though since the boss you need to fight for noelle's level-cap increase is immune to geo damage.
Noelle is really good at breaking the pillars; you just need someone else to actually kill the core.

Kaeya is also a perfectly reasonable on-field DPS for early game, and can be used off-field in other team comps later on.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MoonCrab posted:

2 weeks of 3.0 left and there's 0 news about :

1. Obtainable prototype aranara
2. Anniversary glider

I don't think we're gonna make it...

Not a hardcore Hu Taoist but I'm pretty sure AnemoTao teams are loving dead. Can Candace do any off-field applocation whatsoever? If she can then they're doubly dead lol

Hydro Res (reasonably) strong (and doesn't require you to do a bunch of fiddly rotation nonsense in the middle of battle)!

Hu Tao + Xingqiu + Yelan +Zhongli is pretty drat strong but there's a big difference betwen "anemo is dead" and "anemo is a few percentage points worse than a different team that uses a different top tier 5*."
The genshin community tends to hyperfocus on relatively small differences in strength, especially comparisons made by whales or theorycraftters who assume everyone has every limited character.

Candace's off field application is limited to a single splash of water each time you swap characters so it is pretty irrelevant for Hu Tao. I doubt she'd ever replace Xingqiu there but her + Xingqiu might be a decent budget option for double-hydro Tao? Since the stat buff from her burst still boosts HT's damage.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 12, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I wonder how strong clam qiqi is on an AR35 account. I'm kind of imagining it being gross (tho best not to do arti domains til AR45)

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Captain France posted:

They have been pushing her pretty hard lately. Two story updates that are mostly just "hey Elysia is great huh let's all talk about how great Elysia is" and "here's Elysia's backstory isn't she great Elysia is so great," ending with a zero stakes boss fight with her before Mei and player control leave and then Elysia beats the arc villain in the most underwhelming Animated Short yet. Also am I remembering wrong or has Mei not been in any of these since her fight with Kiana?

She didn't even have the courtesy to follow up her focus episode by getting a horse and an awesome playable 2v1 boss fight with a god like Durandal did. That poo poo was awesome.

I wouldn't say she is particularly popular with the fanbase compared to the other herrschers no. They push those battlesuits a lot, but Elysia also isn't from Honkai Gakuen so she hadn't appeared at all before now (so they had to spend a lot of time building her up compared to other characters.)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

It seems that way. Could just be that it's the current banner they're pushing, but people seem to really like her particularly in China. At least that's the vibe I've gotten. Anyway I had a pretty solid session last night. Managed to unveil all the available Sumeru map and finish up the treasure hunt event now . My next goal is to have all the events and Act II of the Archon quest done before the next patch and maybe get that Beidou hangout done that I started several weeks ago. Sumeru map is a little unique in how it slightly expanded the Liyue map to the southwest of Minlin and to the west of the Chasm while also containing just that little smidge of desert to the west and that partially finished foggy Pyramid thing (which I've noticed can be seen from Watatsumi Island) that kind of reminds me of how Serai Island looked in patch 2.0, where the terrain is sort of there but rather blatantly not finished, much like how the area inbetween Qince Village and Stormterror's Lair/Old Mondstadt looks. I also couldn't help but notice a small portion of map in the northwest that just isn't filled in even though you can explore it which is odd.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

She's a really good Burgeoning enabler. You also don't ever feel the need to switch her out of her EM gear, and it becomes a home for the windbloome ode you have sitting in your inventory.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think she makes any sense in burgeon... how is she supposed to work in that comp?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been using her skill->dendro/hydro off-field-> then dendro/hydro on field. By the time you get 5/6 pods on field, the bunny goes off. The bunny gathers enemies, and the timing seems to be just right. You can also fire off her ult as a trigger, but auto-targeting can really screw you and you have to clear any remaining pyro with vapes. Works really well on the tougher desert mercenaries and fungus that likes to take flight.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
An enemy can only take two instances of burgeon damage every half second, so you're just wasting the other three blooms by letting them stack up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't like the word "burgeon" and will therefore not be building a team around it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
never forgive them for taking catalyze from us

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Jeez, bloom has even more caveats than I thought. Why bother?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tanreall posted:

An enemy can only take two instances of burgeon damage every half second, so you're just wasting the other three blooms by letting them stack up.

Freaking nards. I see loads of burgeoning damage numbers go up, but that might also be because the AoE of the bunny going off and setting of the blooms is so huge.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't like the word "burgeon" and will therefore not be building a team around it

It is an odd choice

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

Jeez, bloom has even more caveats than I thought. Why bother?

Bloom seems to be great for shield busting on hydro shields, but not much else. It probably speaks volumes that Nilou fundamentally changes how the reaction works to make good/better.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can you pick up bloom bombs with Jean and throw them like grenades?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've been using her skill->dendro/hydro off-field-> then dendro/hydro on field. By the time you get 5/6 pods on field, the bunny goes off. The bunny gathers enemies, and the timing seems to be just right. You can also fire off her ult as a trigger, but auto-targeting can really screw you and you have to clear any remaining pyro with vapes. Works really well on the tougher desert mercenaries and fungus that likes to take flight.
I mean... this is completely crazy, I think every other pyro character would do this more easily and/or without a 15 second cooldown.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure my opinion on Dendro will change when they add a 4* claymore character. So far, they're just Fischl-boosters to me.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Collei/Raiden/Barbara.

Now Barbara has missile launchers. A+ element.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What artifact set does Collei want? Assuming your just using her as a Dendro enabler but I don't know what else you'd use her for.

Edit: The team is Keqing, Yae, Kokomi, and Collei to just spam reactions; I dunno exactly what's going on but lots of numbers pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
I have her on Instructor's. It buffs everyone's reaction damage, and her personal damage isn't very high, so being limited to 4-star pieces isn't too much of a loss.