Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Learning not to give a gently caress when it's not your turn to give a gently caress is a genuine skill, and it takes years to learn.

My director reminds me of this every time we have a meeting with central IT. He's probably more worried about my blood pressure than I am :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Learning not to give a gently caress when it's not your turn to give a gently caress is a genuine skill, and it takes years to learn.

...and is easily forgotten. Gotta keep practicing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The biggest thing I've learned at my job is to never work quickly but admittedly we're overstaffed

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ihafarm posted:

Why would you do this rather than investigating the root cause in the first place?

Sorry, this kinda turned into a rant because it touches on some things that have been bothering me for a while.

I did have an idea of the cause. Based on the timestamps of the stuck snapshots it started when the VMs were recently migrated from a different datastore. I was also very busy because it was the first week of classes and I also had to deal with classroom support, VDI support, and last minute requests for software. I needed to expand the storage on one of the VDI golden images ASAP, this snapshot issue was preventing that, and the cloning solution worked.

There's also the fact I don't really know what I'm doing. My role in vSphere was initially just to maintain the VDI images, but a while ago they decided any issues related to those VMs are also my responsibility. So I was given full admin access, but no training. I actually did notice that the VM storage usage wasn't shrinking when snapshots were removed after the datastore move, but when I messaged the infrastructure team about it they just told me I was taking too many snapshots. I wasn't, but I put the issue aside because I had more pressing things to work on.

I recently complained to my union rep about being assigned work outside of my job description, because they wanted me to set up a new Horizon instance myself. I was initially hired as helpdesk and desktop support, and I still have the same position/pay. I'm off that project, and there's supposed to be ongoing meetings to get the other out of scope work off my plate. Of course those meetings keep getting pushed back.

I should have gone to the union when SCCM server setup and admin was dumped on me. But I thought it would be a fun challenge to prove myself, and it came with what turned out to be an empty promise of advancement. VMware Horizon admin was only supposed to temporary to cover for a terminally ill coworker, but when he passed away the work was left with me even though he was paid significantly more. Turns out he had the same position as the rest of us on paper, but started working here when the position paid more. As per the union agreement he kept the old salary(green circled), but he was given Horizon admin duties because of his higher pay. I did go to the union about that, and my rep said they technically didn't break any rules by transferring the work to me. All he could do is send an email to HR recommending that the position's pay is increased to the old amount for all of us, which they of course ignored.

I know I need to find a different job, but I don't think I have much enthusiasm for working in IT anymore. But on the other hand I don't have any other marketable skills. Every time I try to update my resume or look at job listings I end up getting distracted and doing something else, like writing this post. I think I have ADHD, but every doctor I've gone to has refused to even assess me for it. They always insist my issues are just depression, despite the fact that anti-depressants clearly don't help me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Sorry, this kinda turned into a rant because it touches on some things that have been bothering me for a while.

I did have an idea of the cause. Based on the timestamps of the stuck snapshots it started when the VMs were recently migrated from a different datastore. I was also very busy because it was the first week of classes and I also had to deal with classroom support, VDI support, and last minute requests for software. I needed to expand the storage on one of the VDI golden images ASAP, this snapshot issue was preventing that, and the cloning solution worked.

There's also the fact I don't really know what I'm doing. My role in vSphere was initially just to maintain the VDI images, but a while ago they decided any issues related to those VMs are also my responsibility. So I was given full admin access, but no training. I actually did notice that the VM storage usage wasn't shrinking when snapshots were removed after the datastore move, but when I messaged the infrastructure team about it they just told me I was taking too many snapshots. I wasn't, but I put the issue aside because I had more pressing things to work on.

I recently complained to my union rep about being assigned work outside of my job description, because they wanted me to set up a new Horizon instance myself. I was initially hired as helpdesk and desktop support, and I still have the same position/pay. I'm off that project, and there's supposed to be ongoing meetings to get the other out of scope work off my plate. Of course those meetings keep getting pushed back.

I should have gone to the union when SCCM server setup and admin was dumped on me. But I thought it would be a fun challenge to prove myself, and it came with what turned out to be an empty promise of advancement. VMware Horizon admin was only supposed to temporary to cover for a terminally ill coworker, but when he passed away the work was left with me even though he was paid significantly more. Turns out he had the same position as the rest of us on paper, but started working here when the position paid more. As per the union agreement he kept the old salary(green circled), but he was given Horizon admin duties because of his higher pay. I did go to the union about that, and my rep said they technically didn't break any rules by transferring the work to me. All he could do is send an email to HR recommending that the position's pay is increased to the old amount for all of us, which they of course ignored.

I know I need to find a different job, but I don't think I have much enthusiasm for working in IT anymore. But on the other hand I don't have any other marketable skills. Every time I try to update my resume or look at job listings I end up getting distracted and doing something else, like writing this post. I think I have ADHD, but every doctor I've gone to has refused to even assess me for it. They always insist my issues are just depression, despite the fact that anti-depressants clearly don't help me.

You are now fulfilling the duties of at least three people (VDI admin, vSphere admin, SCCM admin) along with whatever role you had. Talk to your union and ask management for a raise or threaten them to leave.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe consider talking to someone higher up in your union as well, they're not really doing much for you here

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Having a union agreement on pay also does not mean everyone must be paid the same. It means there should be a well-defined structure for how pay is determined and how pay scales with responsibilities.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This seems like a decent segue: I'm pondering redoing my home network, and have the same old question: is there an option with easy one pane management for switches and access points (I'm sticking with PFsense firewall for now), that isn't Unifi or Meraki? Thants, I remember you'd recommended Aruba access points and I'm happy to look into them, but I really would prefer not to have separate management for switch/AP when I just need the home network to work and not require a ton of time to change something.

Fortinet is great if you're trying to spend that kind of money

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
so I found out why HPE hasn't responded to any of my tickets...

Apparently we are 326 days in arrears.
So that's fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Management at my side job flat out refused to pay our Pagerduty bill so welp, now we have no on call scheduling or call routing. Apparently Google Voice can do the latter but not having on-call scheduling sucks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Management at my side job flat out refused to pay our Pagerduty bill so welp, now we have no on call scheduling or call routing. Apparently Google Voice can do the latter but not having on-call scheduling sucks.

Seems like they don’t want on call? Everyone wins!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Most of the job is on-call :smith:. That said I've been working like 30 hours a week at the job thanks to understaffing, but it's a cause that I actually care about so I don't mind. And it has cut way down on my drinking because I'm on call almost all the time so I can't drink without scheduling to make sure we have coverage. So that's good for my health at least. It was some procedural bullshit about how I was allowed to approve a purchase that size but C-levels have to approve any contracts of that level and then Pagerduty refused to send over a new contract for them to sign and they refused to pay the bill so basically they didn't want our money enough to make accommodations and management didn't care about our smooth operating enough to make accommodations.

Also to my goon boss if he's reading this I'm not double-dipping on time, I'm just doing it after hours and on weekends.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If anyone wants to manage me (lol) there's a job opening lmao

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can I tell you to work harder remotely?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

it would be nice if my boss could explain what she wants for "professional development" goals at a helpdesk job with zero room for promotion.

ah well, maybe I'll get some certs on company dime and move once my resume looks a bit more filled out

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jagerx is woken from a deep sleep though he does not know why.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zil posted:

Jagerx is woken from a deep sleep though he does not know why.

I came here to make this joke.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

tokin opposition posted:

it would be nice if my boss could explain what she wants for "professional development" goals at a helpdesk job with zero room for promotion.

ah well, maybe I'll get some certs on company dime and move once my resume looks a bit more filled out

That's exactly what you do. Build the resume and then GTFO if there is no upward momentum.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

CLAM DOWN posted:

get me the job and you will never hear from me so long as i never hear from you

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I came here to make this joke.

New uniform a gimp mask and chaps, but only for Clam Down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

More seriously though... promotion time!?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao at all your replies

Internet Explorer posted:

More seriously though... promotion time!?!

GOD no, I never want to manage people, that genuinely seems terrible, gently caress that

e: also that would mean leaving the union lol

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: also that would mean leaving the union lol

I thought you guys were already planning to leave the union now that the old battleaxe bit it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I thought you guys were already planning to leave the union now that the old battleaxe bit it

god I wish I got a day off from that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Seems like they don’t want on call? Everyone wins!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Most of the job is on-call :smith:. That said I've been working like 30 hours a week at the job thanks to understaffing, but it's a cause that I actually care about so I don't mind. And it has cut way down on my drinking because I'm on call almost all the time so I can't drink without scheduling to make sure we have coverage. So that's good for my health at least. It was some procedural bullshit about how I was allowed to approve a purchase that size but C-levels have to approve any contracts of that level and then Pagerduty refused to send over a new contract for them to sign and they refused to pay the bill so basically they didn't want our money enough to make accommodations and management didn't care about our smooth operating enough to make accommodations.

Also to my goon boss if he's reading this I'm not double-dipping on time, I'm just doing it after hours and on weekends.

How can the job be mostly on call but not want to pay the pennis per month on pager duty? Again, it seems they don't want on call.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know how to do anyones job, I probably won't talk to you, and my golf game is probably around twenty strokes over par on an average course.

I can start next month.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

Could just be my raging cynicism, but I've found that a boss wanting to see "professional development" without specific context or guidance tends to mean "do more of my job for me".

Definitely get those certs on the company dime, and then split if they still won't give you a clear path for promotion.

Sickening posted:

How can the job be mostly on call but not want to pay the pennis per month on pager duty? Again, it seems they don't want on call.

Are people generally okay with stuff like Pagerduty going to personal phones? My boss recently asked for my thoughts on this since we're getting ready to set up an on-call rotation. Being hybrid-remote these days makes it challenging to pass a phone around.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 12, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't know how to do anyones job, I probably won't talk to you, and my golf game is probably around twenty strokes over par on an average course.

I can start next month.

we should absolutely drink and golf together

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Because they're stupid bureaucrats that only care about process and their egos, and we can't do our job if we're not on call, so we eat the bowl of poo poo and keep going.

Cenodoxus posted:

Could just be my raging cynicism, but I've found that a boss wanting to see "professional development" without specific context or guidance tends to mean "do more of my job for me".

Definitely get those certs on the company dime, and then split if they still won't give you a clear path for promotion.

Are people generally okay with stuff like Pagerduty going to personal phones? My boss recently asked for my thoughts on this since we're getting ready to set up an on-call rotation. Being hybrid-remote these days makes it challenging to pass a phone around.

We have work phones because we have legally privileged information on them and don't want our personal phones subpoenaed.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

tokin opposition posted:

I think we’re in similarly blah positions with similarly mediocre managers and yeah I recommend using the time for other real professional development. It definitely makes the hours a bit more satisfying at least.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cenodoxus posted:

Yes, but only if it's in a work profile (either from the company or through shelter or another app) and the company covers the cell phone bill, but I hate carrying two phones around.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We have work phones because we have legally privileged information on them and don't want our personal phones subpoenaed.

Or this

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cenodoxus posted:

Work pays me a certain amount of money per month to use my personal phone. I'm looking at using either Teams or Zoom as a virtual number, because I am NOT giving my personal cell# to a customer.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
As annoying has carrying 2 phones around is, work will never touch my personal devices; therefore I carry around two phones. Giving up the ability to literally leave work at home when I do things is too good to pass up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have work teams on my phone but am very aggressive about managing notifications via focus profiles in ios

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bonzo posted:

Work pays me a certain amount of money per month to use my personal phone. I'm looking at using either Teams or Zoom as a virtual number, because I am NOT giving my personal cell# to a customer.

Teams telephony is a A/E 5 cal item so check if your licensing covers it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
work pays me nothing to be oncall and refused to get me a work cell, but I really don’t care enough to cause trouble over a hundred bucks a month. I also don’t especially want a second cellphone, though it would be convenient to be able to access email remotely. Requires a management profile which lolno on a personal device.

Now, the lack of promised stock options nearly a year in mind you…

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

We don't do on call at my place thankfully, and I've refused to add zoom or teams to my personal phone. Only thing I'd use it for is saying I'm running late and that doesn't even seem to matter that much tbh.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question for those of you with years in the field, across different industries. Is it just something I need to accept that employees won't ever read IT emails? It feels like this is the case but I wanted to confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
It extends well past IT. Keeping a readers attention is an art.