Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Servetus posted:

Wait, where's the rest of Ireland? It looks like northern Ireland is just hanging out in the ocean. Unless that's supposed to be all of Ireland, but then it shouldn't be in mourning.

Ireland, India and the US are not represented on the map on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Turkey and the Levant given the usual care and attention by the old fascist.

lmfao i didn't notice there's like fifty miles between the mediterranean and the caspian

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Exactly, there's nothing interesting or worthwhile in any city with a grid plan

New York, well known for being completely uninteresting. Also Detroit, but that's more interesting in the sense of dangerous.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

New York, well known for being completely uninteresting. Also Detroit, but that's more interesting in the sense of dangerous.

Don't forget Mannheim!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

brasilia's wiki has some fun editorializing hidden in the planning history

quote:

Later when overpopulation turned Brasilia into a dystopia, the transportation system also played an important role in mediating the relationship between the Pilot plan and the satellite cities. Because of overpopulation, the monument axis now has to have traffic lights on it, which violates the concept of modernity and advancement the architect first employed. Additionally, the metro system in Brasilia was mainly built for inhabitants of satellite cities. Though the overpopulation has made Brasilia no longer a pure utopia with incomparable modernity, the later development of traffic lights, buses routes to satellite cities, and the metro system all served as a remedy to the dystopia, enabling the citizens to enjoy the kind of modernity that was not carefully planned.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Now I'm wondering, did anyone manage to make a terrible planned pre-car city? Or is the problem with planned cities less to do with not growing organically, and more to do with literally not being designed for humans?

Although not a pre-car city, Canberra managed to do reasonably well. The layout is pretty good although the Parliamentary Triangle (monuments district) didn't really have a walkable scale until recently as new buildings have filled some of the space. Not that pleasant to walk around on a cold winter day or stifling hot summer day.

The city is car dependant and I think the issues with public transport have been one of population. It's not big enough to have mass transit and the busses turn a 20 minute car journey into a 45 minute minimum, sometimes 2 hour, journey.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The city is car dependant and I think the issues with public transport have been one of population. It's not big enough to have mass transit and the busses turn a 20 minute car journey into a 45 minute minimum, sometimes 2 hour, journey.
Looking at wikipedia, it seems less an issue of population and more of density. Like, the population density of the metro region is apparently a little below the entire country of the Netherlands?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking at wikipedia, it seems less an issue of population and more of density. Like, the population density of the metro region is apparently a little below the entire country of the Netherlands?

But how can they make things more dense? It would cause too much traffic!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah the plan was to build low density with satellite cities and garden suburbs. The last 20 years though the local government has had a policy of urban infill, with greenfields development in a lot of the open tracts and promoting medium density housing as replacement for old housing stock.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lol australian urban density is that kid from the simpsons off to get his neighbors

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Guavanaut posted:

The 5 million of those who are in Ireland just got put in the sea apparently.

Now we know who the snakes are.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

X-Men birthplaces map. Really thought there'd be more east/southeast asians. Aside from the glut of characters from Japan, there's just a couple in China and then one Vietnamese girl and that's it. The others I think are from the fictional city of not-Singapore. I guess maybe the series got a lot less into international/global themes over time.

Now the real question is, who makes the best pizza.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is every developing country going to move its government to an empty planned city?!?
It's longstanding tradition to move your capital to a planned city once you feel the original one is inconvenient for whatever reason.

And sometimes it works out! Ottawa, Canberra, and D.C. are all perfectly reasonable cities and less crowded than the metropolises they replaced. Never been to St. Petersburg but from what I've seen it looks somewhat nicer than Moscow.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

X-Men birthplaces map. Really thought there'd be more east/southeast asians. Aside from the glut of characters from Japan, there's just a couple in China and then one Vietnamese girl and that's it. The others I think are from the fictional city of not-Singapore. I guess maybe the series got a lot less into international/global themes over time.

Now the real question is, who makes the best pizza.

who's the british pope

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

What happened in/around Lake Baikal to make multiple mutants

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's longstanding tradition to move your capital to a planned city once you feel the original one is inconvenient for whatever reason.

And sometimes it works out! Ottawa, Canberra, and D.C. are all perfectly reasonable cities and less crowded than the metropolises they replaced. Never been to St. Petersburg but from what I've seen it looks somewhat nicer than Moscow.
We just established that Canberra is trash precisely because it's less crowded.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

who's the british pope

This fucker

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

they're all siblings

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

hell there are like forty from bermuda!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Who’s the Bosnian (?) girl?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm Argentina

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Petersburg is more "western" for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't really call it nicer. They have the same problems with congestion, low quality housing and, uhh, being located in a venomous Nazi state, but Moscow is greener and wealthier

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm more curious about that island in the far south Atlantic. South Georgia? Do people even live there?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

wow, the erasure of latveria and wakanda is blatant.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Who’s the Bosnian (?) girl?
A giant mess

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

Canberra happened because Melbourne and Sydney had a longstanding slap fight over who should be the capital of the new federation. The compromise was that the capital would be in NSW but at least 100 miles from Sydney.

The parliamentarians at the time thought that colder climates were better suited for great capitals and so sought out the current high-ish altitude location. Also remote from the sea as naval bombardment was still considered a significant risk.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ottawa was a similar sort of compromise, as Canada has English and French elements which uh don't always get along. So the capital was made in English-speaking Ontario, but right on the border with Quebec and not too far from Montreal. It was a good compromise, I think; Ottawa itself has a lot of french-speakers because of its position.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The parliamentarians at the time thought that colder climates were better suited for great capitals and so sought out the current high-ish altitude location. Also remote from the sea as naval bombardment was still considered a significant risk.

they're right. sea-level humidity is dreadful. 600m isn't exactly a highlands climate though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Canberra happened because Melbourne and Sydney had a longstanding slap fight over who should be the capital of the new federation. The compromise was that the capital would be in NSW but at least 100 miles from Sydney.

That reminds me of the reasoning for the placement of the state capitol of Florida. Previously, Florida was split between West Florida and East Florida whose capitols were Pensacola and St. Augustine respectively and were acquired at different times until finally unifying into the Florida Territory in 1821. It was basically a pain in the rear end for delegations from one to visit the other so the territorial Governor made an order to pick a better location for both parties meet in between and that ended up being Tallahassee (the former capital of the Apalachee chiefdom which had been previously burned down by Andrew Jackson), Part of the decision was also the higher elevation and a pretty waterfall nearby.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Took this picture myself at a local Ethiopian restaurant. There's more than just maps-without-New-Zealand going on but that's what caught my eye first

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

10/10 no complaints

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

i say swears online posted:

10/10 no complaints

-Me, after eating the Doro Wat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No wonder Islas Malvinas are so hotly contested, being a true source of power

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

New Zealand is just a region of Australia so if you include Australia you don't need to include New Zealand.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

steinrokkan posted:

I laughed at this harder than I should have.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Any given continent can have New Zealand or New England, and this Australia has Massachussetts

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That is a very weird looking Yorp, and Southeast Asia is a mess. I don't know if that big island is supposed to be Borneo or Papua, but it looks like England has just moved into the area. Which may be why Australia has a punk haircut.

:rip: Taiwan.

steinrokkan posted:

No wonder the Falklands are so hotly contested, being a true source of power

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Woodrow Wilson's vision