Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Feel free to continue the queen jokes, just wanted to mention I tried out XB2 again and I'm getting a hang of combat, mastered cancelling already. I'm still limited by my Blade options, 2 blades per chara and Tora being useless unless it's an Earth chain. But I had 2 questions:

1) Are driver combos limited to certain arts or based on weapon? Saw a lot of Breaks but nobody ever continued them.

2) I fought a boss and I was constantly hitting a shield that intereupted my auto combo, wtf was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
please nintendo, announce super mario odyssey 2 because my 5 year old will not stop talking about it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheWevel posted:

please nintendo, announce super mario odyssey 2 because my 5 year old will not stop talking about it

Your 5 year old is right. Finishing out Splatoon 3 SP the other day made me go "man, I sure want Odyssey 2"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:D

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Feel free to continue the queen jokes, just wanted to mention I tried out XB2 again and I'm getting a hang of combat, mastered cancelling already. I'm still limited by my Blade options, 2 blades per chara and Tora being useless unless it's an Earth chain. But I had 2 questions:

1) Are driver combos limited to certain arts or based on weapon? Saw a lot of Breaks but nobody ever continued them.

2) I fought a boss and I was constantly hitting a shield that intereupted my auto combo, wtf was that?

In order to continue a Driver combo you need a specific Art to continue the chain. It goes Break > Topple > Launch > Smash.

Also, for inexplicable reasons, female Drivers are less likely to continue Driver combos and instead will focus on elemental combos. The opposite is true of male drivers. So if you have Nia or other female party members with you, you might have some trouble with Driver combos. My solution was just to control Nia myself.

Can't be of much help on the shield business. I think it's just a thing you have to put up with sometimes! You can do it too by equipping Block Rate Up stuff on your tanks, at least?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1) is simply both, because arts are determined by weapon. Rex will eventually get Topple added to one of Pyra's Arts.

2) Some bosses, particularly Drivers, get a shield when they use an Art. This sucks. There's an accessory that prevents you from staggering when it happens, but other than that, just gotta tough it out (or, you know, get them in a Driver combo). The accessory is available from the start if you have the DLC.

You didn't ask, but I'm gonna tell you this anyway: a Fusion Combo happens when both a Driver and Blade Combo are active at the same time (so, Fire + Break, for example). You'll want to inflict Break before you start using your Blade specials, if at all possible. This is because doing so makes you do at least an extra 50% damage as long as the combo is active.

tldr; break is the most important status effect in the game, inflict break, then use one of your specials

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

1) Yes, if you look at the weapon arts that a character has equipped some will have Break, Topple, Launch, or Smash properties. Each character has their own set of arts for each weapon type. Early on your main break user will be Nia and Rex or Tora will be your topplers (Rex gets a topple art a little bit into Chapter 3)

2) Was it a driver+blade boss fight? Similar to how your characters get invincibility frames while doing a special attack, enemy drivers get a shield while they are doing their specials. There are also arts they can use similar to what your tank blades might have that raise their block rate. Later on you can use attacks that nullify block but early on I think you just need to deal.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 12, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1) drive combo properties (Break, Topple, Launch, Smash) are limited to certain weapon types, and since each character has a unique move set for each weapon it’s something else to consider when assigning Blades. in chapter 4 Rex will pick up the game’s most reliable Topple skill and the rest should be more intuitive from there

2) yeah that’s a thing that happens, especially if the boss has a blade with them. there’s a rare accessory, the Auto Balancer, that lets you ignore the recoil from hitting it

I’d suggest popping by Argentum and looking for two Nopon (one in the Bower Lounge, one I think on the first-floor decks) with trophy icons over their heads. they’ve got free DLC blades and both are among the best in the game. Crossette is a monster on Nia and Corvin works best on a later party member but suits Rex fine in the interim

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I guess the answer was "just play more dipshit" hahaha. That said the big problem is again I don't have the DLC yet, but I'll take that all into account.

Back to the usual posting about Directs and BotW 2 and dead queens now.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 12, 2022

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Please, a GBA and/or GameCube expansion to NSO. I’m starving.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if Liz was waiting for Silksong.

Y’know, if she was, it'll get a release date tomorrow.

She was the last seal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Where do food tickets come from in Splat3n? I got some from campaign, but I have to assume there's another source? And what does the "Remaining: 20" on the food items mean? It didn't go down when I used a ticket.

e: Oh, it lasts for 20 battles, it looks like?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trying Hollow Knight again and enjoying it a lot more this time, but still pissed off you have to use a charm slot to see where you are on the map. What a 'gently caress you' of a design decision.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Princess Toadstool will henceforth be coronated Queen Toadstool

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Where do food tickets come from in Splat3n? I got some from campaign, but I have to assume there's another source? And what does the "Remaining: 20" on the food items mean? It didn't go down when I used a ticket.

e: Oh, it lasts for 20 battles, it looks like?

Catalog level rewards.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

E: dumb response

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Trying Hollow Knight again and enjoying it a lot more this time, but still pissed off you have to use a charm slot to see where you are on the map. What a 'gently caress you' of a design decision.

it's not a big deal

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just pretend you have one less charm slot than you usually do. It’s all mind power

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah its not a huge deal in practice and it's a thing to take off as a bonus when you get more confident navigating by map knowledge or "manually" by keeping track of room position

Or for boss fights

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tjey should let you use all the charms because it would make the game more fun and that's what a good game should do. the reason silksong is taking so long is because all teh playtesters died of boredom and they can't pass QA

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You can also pretend the map charm increases your max slots by 67 when equipped but takes up 68 slots, and increases your max slots by 0 when unequipped. It's a pretty clever design.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

tjey should let you use all the charms because it would make the game more fun and that's what a good game should do. the reason silksong is taking so long is because all teh playtesters died of boredom and they can't pass QA
:hai:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they should give you no charms, no scrubs allowed

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I didn't need the map charm because I have basic spatial awareness.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm about 8 hours into Xenoblade 3, trip report is that it has largely ditched the major problems that made 2 so tedious. No hours spent running back and forth in maze like towns, villains aren't incredibly boring (so far they're vaudevillian), cheese cake is toned way way down, and no gatcha. I'm not sure about having one active character and five CPU controlled characters, that feels like my own contribution is quite diluted. Downsides are that the environments aren't as spectacular as 1 or 2, and none of the characters are extremely Welsh or Scottish (although the EastEnders sounding lady does compensate a little bit).

Probably the best of the three games, but I do miss the kicking rad setting of the first.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll be at work during all this so I'll see it later. I hope it gets something interesting. Will have to check out well late.

Hell yeah!

Upsidads posted:

Still poo poo self if Wind Waker 2 is announced

Phantom Hourglass?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
A Link Between Worlds remake/remaster would be better than WW & TP re-releases.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

2D Mario!
and I'd not turn down any more kirby's if they have 'em

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Remake every 2-D Zelda in the Link’s Awakening Switch engine

Edit: the DS ones count

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hope this direct gives me a release date for Front Mission

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mezzanon posted:

Hope this direct gives me release

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fire Emblem 9+10 pipe dream baby.

Honestly, give me the FF Pixel Remasters and I think I'll be happy, there's so much good poo poo on this system and my wishlist is massive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh, I'm good; I spent all weekend splatting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I for one am looking forward to the reveal of the Nintendo Fun Tokens.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxxidation posted:

legendary cores are really hard to get outside of the expansion pack’s guaranteed 25

Did they nerf salvaging at some point? I remember that pretty much the second you could get golden cylinders you could salvage for infinite money and get a decent amount of rare/legendary cores in the process, with the premium cylinders later on being better still.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I for one am looking forward to the reveal of the Nintendo Fun Tokens.

This reminds me of how much I'd love a Nintendo Land like experience for the Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even if any Metroid Prime gets ported to Switch, no person or outlet gets to claim credit for predicting it. The boy didn't get any credit when the wolf finally did show up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even if any Metroid Prime gets ported to Switch, no person or outlet gets to claim credit for predicting it. The boy didn't get any credit when the wolf finally did show up.

Someone should compile years old 'predictions' from some of these clout chasers on how 'it's just around the corner, guys!' happened so often.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Remake every 2-D Zelda in the Link’s Awakening Switch engine

Edit: the DS ones count

Do Earthbound in it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
September is usually when they add new VC consoles to keep those subs going, so it wouldn't surprise me to see GB and maybe GBA go up (GB in base, GBA in premium).

Then again I doubt subs are a big issue with Splatoon 3 being out and all so who knows.