Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is an incredible one-two:
"His stepmother was wondering why he was acting like this. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but he won't believe that."

What's so incredible is that the second sentence isn't a response to the question in the first sentence; they're completely unrelated statements. The latter is a response to "is my husband the rear end in a top hat," which not only had she not asked yet, is not the name of the subreddit.

Once she explained, I understood it as the below, which does connect the two sentiments:

"His stepmother was wondering why he was acting like [such an rear end in a top hat]. I'm pretty sure I know the answer [is that he is the rear end in a top hat, because even his stepmother was shocked], but he won't believe that [he is being the rear end in a top hat in this scenario]."

just a LOT of info she omitted, enough that it's open to interpretation

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Wipes rear end with tendies

I make my own szechuan sauce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

When someone else is in control, you never have to be disappointed by your own decisions!

It is a common thing with narcissists to be terminally vague and wishy-washy about drat near everything so they can set you up for failure and then bawl you out for it, and/or to get extremely mad when everyone around them isn't able to literally read their mind and otherwise assume they're the protagonist of reality and everyone should be thinking of them at all times.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

therobit posted:

I believe the woman was saying SHE was straight passing, but wants her boyfriend who is also bi to act straight around her folks.

she was a butch
he was a femme
could i make it any more obvious??

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
WIBTAH if I don’t let BF ride w/me to hospital if he smells?

quote:

It’s baby day 🎉 my induction is scheduled to start tonight.

I told boyfriend this morning that if he comes back from work smelling like ✨special✨ plants he’ll have to go home and take a shower before he comes to the hospital. We live separate and his moms house is about half an hour further from the hospital than mine, so he replied “I won’t have time, I’ll just spray myself with cologne”. I told him that wouldn’t work, I know when he does that because he smells like a dumpster plus a whole bottle of cheap cologne and it makes me feel like throwing up.

He just kind of…stared at me. Repeated that he wouldn’t have time to go home for a shower and that he took one this morning so he’s good.

Would I be the a hole if he shows up stinky and I tell him he has to go take a shower before he comes to the hospital? He won’t miss anything besides check in.

Weed is illegal where we live and I’m not playing around with my baby getting anywhere near taken from me because he can’t abstain for one or two days.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pomme de Terror posted:

Not the AH for what she is asking, but perhaps ask yourself why you have chosen to have a kid with this man if he can't just cool it for one day?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Putting in long hours at the weed factory every day, and this is the thanks he gets

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Not the AH for what she is asking, but perhaps ask yourself why you have chosen to have a kid with this man if he can't just cool it for one day?

Condom Broke.

Why she continues to be with him is the question.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Foo Diddley posted:

i'm sorry, i have a food aversion where i'm way too fuckin racist to eat soup

ARFID: Abhorrently Racist Food Intolerant Dumbass

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Condom Broke.

Why she continues to be with him is the question.

Too many young women are still socialized to think that "making food" is the woman's job.

whoops, unrelated to the story, but they are also socialized not to complain about how a man smells to avoid hurting his feelings.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Men are like dogs, we are supposed to stink and woman are required to like it. Its in the rules.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for picking the same name for my baby as my BIL's unborn baby?

quote:

Throwaway,

My (31F) husband (33M) and his brother (36M) aren't super close, but we all get along well. My BIL is pretty nice overall, but he does seem to be a bit jealous of my husband and just everything we have (but my husband told me that it's always been like this so it's not really a big deal).

I'm currently pregnant with a baby girl (our first baby), and we've been discussing possible names. There's one that we're pretty sure of, it's not super 'out there' but I think pretty unique nowadays and I really like it. The issue is, this is the name that BIL and his girlfriend had picked out for their baby 3 years ago (if it was a girl because they didn't know yet), but the baby unfortunately died. His girlfriend chose the name from her favorite ballet, and I remember she would say that if she ever had a daughter she'd name her that. We were at a family event over the weekend and I mentioned that we had that name in mind. BIL looked kind of surprised and said that was the name they'd picked for their daughter. My husband said that we know but we just thought it was a really nice name. BIL started saying if we could reconsider and that there are other names, and this one's really special to him. I said that we decided on the name , and he actually didn't even know if his baby was going to be a girl or a boy. He was upset and kept saying that we should reconsider, I got a little mad and told him that he doesn't own the name, and they should be hoping for a healthy baby rather than worry about names. BIL dropped it after that, but my SIL (my husband's sister) told me and my husband that we don't care and we're intentionally hurting him.

The name in question: Odette

OP posted:

Okay maybe I should've been clearer in my post. Sometimes when me and BIL's girlfriend would chat we'd just randomly go on the topic of wedding planning, baby names etc. She mentioned that there's this name she likes and if she ever had a daughter she'd probably name her that. She had one for a son too. In fact, we didn't even know she was pregnant until after she died.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Putting in long hours at the weed factory every day, and this is the thanks he gets

People who work on hemp farms actually do end up smelling like that, and that's what I assumed she was talking about at first. But apparently he just...has to smoke up every day after work? Huh?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Pomme de Terror posted:

This isn't a throwaway, and her post history is sad :smith: It's her third kid.

Name fight with bum baby daddy

quote:

We’re not married, this is a birth control fail baby that I (34F) only started getting excited and less stressed about at 6 months. I see baby daddy (34M) once a week for a couple hours and he thinks that’s all the constitutes a relationship…a relationship that he didn’t want until I told him I was pregnant. We were solidly in the FWB category until then. When he found out I wasn’t renewing my current lease he asked me if I wanted to move into his parents basement with my two other small children, he doesn’t want to leave their house. This is turning into a baby daddy rant so I’ll move on, lol.

I’ve tried telling baby daddy that what goes on this baby’s birth certificate is what he’s going to have to fill out ALL future paperwork with so it needs to be reasonable…but baby daddy absolutely will not give up on the anime names. Vash, Naruto, Spike, Roy, Eren, Takashi, a bunch of other extra Japanese names…neither one of us is anywhere near Asian. Also, baby daddy doesn’t have a middle name so he doesn’t want baby to have a middle name. Just an anime first name and his last name.

Am I being a snotty brat by thinking that he’s not putting any kind of effort in so he doesn’t get to be the sole namer? Not going to be living with us, only spending time with us once a week for two or three hours…

I told him from the beginning if he didn’t stop sending me anime name suggestions I would fill out the birth certificate without his input…would it be wrong to hold up to that?

UPDATE: I tried to compromise and let him have an anime middle name, but he refused. He doesn’t have a middle name so he’s against them. I give up, I’m naming the kid without his input. He contributed half an ingredient, my body is doing the rest and my wallet has opened for all the supplies. Freaking girl power💪✌️

OP says dude is

quote:

34, never left mommy’s house, doesn’t clean his own bathroom, I’m his first “real girlfriend”… failure to launch lol

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 12, 2022

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

People who work on hemp farms actually do end up smelling like that, and that's what I assumed she was talking about at first. But apparently he just...has to smoke up every day after work? Huh?

"after" work, yes. sure.

Like, I smoke pretty regularly (:canada:), but we have a kid now (8 weeks old) and I quit going hard months ago. I'll have a joint after a real rough day - once the kid is asleep and the dishes are done and the wife is settled etc. Some people just can't see past their own needs and it makes me sad when they have kids.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm usually in the camp of "don't let other people tell you what name you can or can't give your child" but this seems particularly callous on the OP's part. I don't quite know if it crosses into "you're the rear end in a top hat" territory but it sure seems lovely of them and their only attachment seems to be "my family member said she liked the name and that made me realize I also think it's pretty" which is kinda flimsy against "we were going to give this name to our miscarried baby."

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

OP says dude is

She's right to put her foot down about anime, but they could get away with Roy and no one would ever know. They'd probably be okay with Eren, too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

OP says dude is

Ensorcelled by the good dick.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm usually in the camp of "don't let other people tell you what name you can or can't give your child" but this seems particularly callous on the OP's part. I don't quite know if it crosses into "you're the rear end in a top hat" territory but it sure seems lovely of them and their only attachment seems to be "my family member said she liked the name and that made me realize I also think it's pretty" which is kinda flimsy against "we were going to give this name to our miscarried baby."

It wasn't a miscarriage. The mother died in an accident before they had a chance to announce the pregnancy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

It wasn't a miscarriage. The mother died in an accident before they had a chance to announce the pregnancy.

This has to be fake, otherwise OP is the rear end in a top hat just for presenting "the girlfriend died and it turned out she was pregnant" as "the baby unfortunately died".

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I don't know if it's trolls or what, but in the past month or two there has been a huge increase in OPs who have been very good at technically true lying through omission only to say something on the comments that completely changes the context.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Soylent Pudding posted:

I don't know if it's trolls or what, but in the past month or two there has been a huge increase in OPs who have been very good at technically true lying through omission only to say something on the comments that completely changes the context.

Have you ever known someone prone to very selectively representing the truth on a regular basis? Not just compulsive liars, but shifty and dishonest types. I've known a few, it's definitely a personality "quirk" (defect) you can encounter in the wild

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Lobe posted:

Have you ever known someone prone to very selectively representing the truth on a regular basis? Not just compulsive liars, but shifty and dishonest types. I've known a few, it's definitely a personality "quirk" (defect) you can encounter in the wild

You'd think they'd realize that this doesn't work as well when people can compare your latest lie to the original lie you put up, but it's I guess it's a habit that's hard to break.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mr. Lobe posted:

I work with folks like this in the NASA space program all day long....

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Oh I'm quote familiar. I'm just saying there has been a strong uptick lately in that kind of OP.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

quote != edit

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Soylent Pudding posted:

The name in question: Pnurtis

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Soylent Pudding posted:

Oh I'm quote familiar. I'm just saying there has been a strong uptick lately in that kind of OP.
Well, yes, writers tend to follow popular trends to try and ride the wave of what’s selling at the moment.

[Edit: so I’m not just being glib, by posting like that they get two chances for the thread to take off, and can pivot/not pivot based on the initial reaction.]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 12, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my boyfriend I want our joint savings account to be named after me only, even though we both contribute equally, because I'm afraid he'll lose the money again?

quote:

First of all; I'm sorry for any misspellings. Second; I'm sorry if some of my terminology is wrong. I'm trying to be a part of my boyfriends financial decisions, but I'm still learning.

Yes, the title is bad, But it's the truth. My boyfriend is a Bitcoin day trader. He can make in a day what I make in 2 weeks, but he can lose the same amount in an hour.

We used to have a joint savings account, but one day he gambled everything on some "sure investment" and lost the entire account, plus a lot of his own money. He said one of the "coin makers" lied to him and stole the money from everyone. That money was supposed to go to the first payment on a house and moving expenses, but it was all gone because of a scam.

It took me a lot of time to accept what happened. I'm still not sure what I would have done if he hadn't given me my money back.

We're still planning to buy a house together, but now I demand to be the only one that can control that money.

He told me I'm a control freak, That I don't believe in him or his businesses and that I'm pissed that he makes more than me. Accept I don't. I literally have a stable income and benefits from my job.

He told me that he will become a millionaire and buy himself every house he wants, because now he "makes the coins himself" and he is afraid I'm going to leave him and take his money. I told him that if we break up I'll open the savings account and split it down the middle so we both get what we paid for.

I love him, but I don't trust him with my money. I feel like I'm dating a gambler. Is it wrong of me to be this controlling? He makes me feel stupid for not understanding his work, but maybe I am just financially illiterate. I don't know. Thoughs?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend I want our joint savings account to be named after me only, even though we both contribute equally, because I'm afraid he'll lose the money again?

quote:

I feel like I'm dating a gambler

Because you are!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Soylent Pudding posted:

What... how do you just leave that out? I thought "we didn't know she was pregnant until after she died" was just a confusing case of referring to different people by the same pronoun in the same statement. Well, yes, then I'm confident in saying you are an rear end in a top hat, OP.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

"It took me a lot of time to accept what happened."

Stop right there, OP! You shouldn't have, and you can still renege on that acceptance! :sever:

Edit:

OP posted:

Update: I bumped him. He tried to explain to me that he stopped gambling on crypto- he started a company with some people to scam other crypto investors. Apparently he can create "meme coins" and scam people for their money. I recorded everything while he showed me some graffs. I'm not sure what the police can do with it, but I'm going to find out.

You were right, reddit- he is a POS
:sickos:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Booky posted:

dam either she really has a disorder or shes just racist af... why not just say she wasn;t very hungry to the family instead of getting Weird
plus pho is Delicious??

AITA for trying to be nice to my boyfriend?

drat just leave him be, thats like a migraine (assuming this isn't a troll) :sever:

lol they posted this on Relationship Advice under the title "My boyfriend was verbally abusive towards me."

Soylent Pudding posted:

Name your kid Odile instead.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I think it's terrible what happened to that poor bitcoin trader who lost all his money to a scam. thats why I'm here to announce my new coin opportunity, Fraud Guarantee!

how does it work? simple! you send me your worthless fiat currency and I'll give you platinum minted FG coins in return! and by platinum I mean the coins look silver when you view them in the browser.

this is an absolute game changer. these coins will be minted as individual NFTs so there is absolutely no way I will simply cash out the money, take all the coins, and flee to Bermuda. because it's an NFT that means you own it and nobody can take it away from you.

act now! this is your chance to get it on the ground floor!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I think it's terrible what happened to that poor bitcoin trader who lost all his money to a scam. thats why I'm here to announce my new coin opportunity, Fraud Guarantee!

how does it work? simple! you send me your worthless fiat currency and I'll give you platinum minted FG coins in return! and by platinum I mean the coins look silver when you view them in the browser.

this is an absolute game changer. these coins will be minted as individual NFTs so there is absolutely no way I will simply cash out the money, take all the coins, and flee to Bermuda. because it's an NFT that means you own it and nobody can take it away from you.

act now! this is your chance to get it on the ground floor!

Do I just give you my account number and routing number?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I would just like to point out that a large portion of bitcoin scams are based around getting their marks to think they're buying into the ground floor of a scam.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit:
he started a company with some people to scam other crypto investors.

I have to give this dude a tiny bit of credit since he figured out when it comes to BitCoin "if you're not the scammer you're being scammed."

I'm glad she got out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Does anyone have that phrase on hand about problem makers and boat rocking on hand, ending with "it'd be better for everyone if they just threw the fucker overboard"? I've been trying to find it for like twenty minutes and either search is broken again or I'm just poo poo at searching. Or both, both is an option.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for refusing to eat my boyfriend’s mom’s meal she made when I came over?

I said I had no ill intentions, but I wasn’t going to make myself eat food I wasn’t in the mood to eat as I was an adult.

It's soup. Unless there's an eyeball floating in it, you take a small sip and tell the chef it's delicious but you're full/not hungry/not feeling well. As an adult does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Does anyone have that phrase on hand about problem makers and boat rocking on hand, ending with "it'd be better for everyone if they just threw the fucker overboard"? I've been trying to find it for like twenty minutes and either search is broken again or I'm just poo poo at searching. Or both, both is an option.

Try searching for "And the next generation of boat-steadiers is born." in the thread.