Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GreenBuckanneer posted:

isn't it 1.3gbps?

PHY speeds, yeah sort of. But realistically consider half of your PHY speed to be the actual maximum throughput speed.

I get around 150-200 Mbit/s real world throughput on 802.11ac 2x2, with no other networks on the same 80MHz channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GreenBuckanneer posted:

isn't it 1.3gbps?

my actual internet is 100mbps so the only thing that we're talking about for wifi would be something that needs the bandwidth locally, and even if we assume an endpoint wants to transfer something like a 4k? plex rip that's what, 50mB/s or 400 megabit, plenty of room unless you have 3+ people doing that all at the same time

It's 1.3 gigabit if your AP AND YOUR RECEIVING EQUIPMENT have 4x4 3x3 MIMO antennas.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 12, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
1.3Gbps is the number for 3x3 80Mhz, but your client also has to be 3x3 to get that. Most clients are 2x2 and will top out at 866Mbps theoretical for Wi-Fi 5.

If you can get a Wi-Fi 5 base station with support for 160Mhz channels (sometimes called "Wave 2" 802.11ac) then that should roughly double your speeds - again as long as the client supports it, and 160Mhz channel support is a lot more common with clients than being 3x3 or especially 4x4. My Pixel 5a sees around 550 down/350 up on Speedtest when connected in line of sight on a 160Mhz 5G channel.

The downside is that each 160Mhz channel is around a third of the 5GHz band, and because of the way it's divided there are actually only two usable ones. One of them reaches into the DFS range; therefore, in order to legally support it equipment has to periodically scan for weather radar/military radio/whatever and switch to another channel if necessary. A lot of manufacturers didn't want to implement this and just don't let you use DFS channels, but they're probably the same ones who were too cheap to support 160Mhz channels if I had to guess. All that said, a home user can probably do just fine with one 160MHz channel and if not there's always Wi-Fi 6E.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 12, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Because I think people should have realistic expectations about what wireless speeds they can get, I'm gonna keep harping on about airtime being the determining factor for what bandwidth you get - because what the specs say has nothing to do with reality which is where base stations usually exist.

Also, DFS is very explicitly a passive state, in that it starts listening for certain signals like radar, which governments (who own and regulate the airwaves) have reserved for their primary (though no longer exclusive) use.
If a radar or similar device is active, it'll pick another channel where everyone else has moved onto, and there'll be even less airtime - because it always comes back to airtime, when you're dealing with time division multiplexing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well I don't know if I am actually going to get these, seems like a too good to be true deal, but who knows.

Only needed one, but at $15 each...I can find a use for another.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 12, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Binary Badger posted:

802.11ac ought to be enough for anybody

Unironically yes at least for me. However all I have on Wi-Fi are laptops/tablets/phones which don’t exactly have significant bandwidth requirements. Lol if you transfer any file larger than a gig or two over Wi-Fi.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am switching to fiber internet now that it is ran in my neighborhood and need something to work with these gig speeds. House size is 4,600sqft with multiple levels and a basement, so I want to go mesh. I work from home, and we stream tv / 4k, usually will be about 5 people on the network. What's the go to mesh routers for fiber / gig speeds?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 12, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Because I think people should have realistic expectations about what wireless speeds they can get, I'm gonna keep harping on about airtime being the determining factor for what bandwidth you get - because what the specs say has nothing to do with reality which is where base stations usually exist.

Also, DFS is very explicitly a passive state, in that it starts listening for certain signals like radar, which governments (who own and regulate the airwaves) have reserved for their primary (though no longer exclusive) use.
If a radar or similar device is active, it'll pick another channel where everyone else has moved onto, and there'll be even less airtime - because it always comes back to airtime, when you're dealing with time division multiplexing.

You are correct, but I think I am missing your point. What/who are you arguing against here? As far as I see posters have been clear that you can't ever expect to get close to the full rated speed of a base station on a single endpoint, and even getting the performance you should expect can depend on a number of assumptions about the environmment.

e: In case it wasn't clear, I'm not saying that everyone should use 160MHz channels even if they're in an apartment block and drat the consequences. I'm saying that if you can use 160MHz channels without interference from sources you don't control, you would expect to see a substantial performance gain vs. 80MHz.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 12, 2022

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Diagram:

Eletriarnation posted:

Do you just mean that you want base stations which are designed to work in a group?
Yes!

Eletriarnation posted:

If you are planning to have wired uplinks for every unit then you don't need to order some special mesh kit, you just need to make sure that the different base stations connect back to the same LAN and use the same SSID/security settings. Clients are generally happy to roam if you give them that much.
Really? That's great!

Eletriarnation posted:

I think you could get any two recent units that support OpenWRT and put that on them and spend a lot less than $300.
Even better!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

You are correct, but I think I am missing your point. What/who are you arguing against here? As far as I see posters have been clear that you can't ever expect to get close to the full rated speed of a base station on a single endpoint, and even getting the performance you should expect can depend on a number of assumptions about the environmment.

e: In case it wasn't clear, I'm not saying that everyone should use 160MHz channels even if they're in an apartment block and drat the consequences. I'm saying that if you can use 160MHz channels without interference from sources you don't control, you would expect to see a substantial performance gain vs. 80MHz.
There is talk about the speeds promised in advertising/specifications - that's what I'm trying to argue against.
The people who make the specifications, gear, and anything else haven't achieved those speeds and neither will anyone else, unless they do a stunt like setting up two uni-directional antennas pointing straight at each other with nothing in the Fresnel zone.

Unless you live far from anyone else, you realistically can't use a 160MHz channel.
The best wifi I ever set up was achieved from having one unit in each room, all configured to just have enough signal strength to not pass through the walls, and not having to deal with devices that can't roam properly.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 12, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
So I think I said it but I'll say it again, I agree with you entirely that trying to connect the topline bandwidth number listed in marketing materials to real world performance is not very useful. In the best case you might be able to use that number to understand the underlying band/stream characteristics of the unit, but there are often better ways to confirm that kind of detail.

Regarding airtime contention we've had a similar discussion already back in March but to reiterate it somewhat, if your standard for "far from anyone else" is just "in your own building without other buildings directly adjacent" then that's really quite common. My closest neighbor is probably 50m away from my house and I do not detect any signal from 5GHz channels except ones I control. In that case, 160MHz channels are quite practical. If on the other hand someone were to say that they had a busy environment with a lot of channel contention, I wouldn't recommend 160MHz channels. Is that unreasonable?

Having an AP in every single room is indeed a very performant setup, but if that's your standard recommendation for a home user then most people are going to balk at the cost and complexity involved. I have a small and open enough house with few enough users that I mount a single big AP in a central location and it does a great job for all the things that I can't keep on Ethernet. As with any solution, I know it's not going to work for all use cases.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 13, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have a wifi problem in a very large remote building. This place is in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere, and we need full wifi coverage. Right now we use a data hotspot out there and it does in fact work very well but only covers about a fifth of the area needed.

We're not looking for great internet speeds but we are looking for great network speeds between devices. I would assume the easiest solution would be a mesh wifi setup, but I am confused about whether it would be better to get one that supports 4G LTE itself or just plug the existing hotspot (netgear mr-1100) into a standard one. And also which brand/model to buy of course.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've got a tangental question: What are people actually using these massive wireless uplinks for?

I've got 4 switches and 5 access points, handling all the usual Plex Server and networked storage plus work stuff. I've got a ton of devices on the network. But the only time I ever even noticed speeds was trying to transfer multi-GB simulation result files from my VMs to my workstation. And even for that case it was always an intermittent thing that didn't really effect my workflow but just made me notice something not being instantaneous. I ran a 10G link for that because i'm a nerd and I could, but even just a gigabit Cat6 would have been more than enough. Yeah i'm sure you'll see a status bar when trying to move those 65GB linux ISOs :rolleyes: but we have software that handles all that in the background and there is never time critical need for stuff like that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Probably heresy in the home networking thread, but that's my question as well. I was actually just having this same conversation with a friend. I am still perfectly content with 1 gbps links for my entire network, let alone needing to push that sort of traffic over wifi. It just seems mostly academic or bench racing (which is fine!) to really need to go that hard on wifi. I'm personally more concerned with latency and/or packetloss.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have a wifi problem in a very large remote building. This place is in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere, and we need full wifi coverage. Right now we use a data hotspot out there and it does in fact work very well but only covers about a fifth of the area needed.

We're not looking for great internet speeds but we are looking for great network speeds between devices. I would assume the easiest solution would be a mesh wifi setup, but I am confused about whether it would be better to get one that supports 4G LTE itself or just plug the existing hotspot (netgear mr-1100) into a standard one. And also which brand/model to buy of course.

So I live in the woods myself and I've got a dual WAN hookup through both starlink (mediocre) and my local cable provider (slow and overpriced). You've got many similar options for getting some sort of internet uplink to your building. Whatever you use, you'll want to pipe it to a router and local access points. Hardwire what you can. You will still always be limited in your connectivity to the outside world by whatever your using as your WAN provider. But even common networking gear will give you excellent speeds within the building itself. I am currently unaware of a commercial mesh product that does all-in-one routing/5G LTE hotspot/wifi well. For large locations you're really going to want to use dedicated boxes for the internet connection, routing, and switching to your wifi access points.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 12, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

M_Gargantua posted:

I've got a tangental question: What are people actually using these massive wireless uplinks for?

I've got 4 switches and 5 access points, handling all the usual Plex Server and networked storage plus work stuff. I've got a ton of devices on the network. But the only time I ever even noticed speeds was trying to transfer multi-GB simulation result files from my VMs to my workstation. And even for that case it was always an intermittent thing that didn't really effect my workflow but just made me notice something not being instantaneous. I ran a 10G link for that because i'm a nerd and I could, but even just a gigabit Cat6 would have been more than enough. Yeah i'm sure you'll see a status bar when trying to move those 65GB linux ISOs :rolleyes: but we have software that handles all that in the background and there is never time critical need for stuff like that.

You're right that it generally doesn't matter in my case, because my house is wired and I mostly work from my desktop or a docked laptop. Occasionally I do something like synch my music library or a bunch of book PDFs to a new/reset phone and in that case, it is nice to have the faster speeds but still doesn't really matter. My wife on the other hand is almost always on Wi-Fi, and while she might not care if it were slower I'd like to make it as good as it can be for her and any guests.

It's partly also just that I've been involved in testing these systems professionally for a few years now and enjoy applying what I've learned at home. There are plenty of folks out there who have a half-rack of servers or whatever for a home lab, and this at least involves a lot less heat and noise.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 12, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

fyallm posted:

I am switching to fiber internet now that it is ran in my neighborhood and need something to work with these gig speeds. House size is 4,600sqft with multiple levels and a basement, so I want to go mesh. I work from home, and we stream tv / 4k, usually will be about 5 people on the network. What's the go to mesh routers for fiber / gig speeds?

Are there any Ethernet drops? Or are you looking for entirely wireless? I would think so if you are talking mesh but wanted to make sure.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Volguus posted:

Maybe you're right, I found out on the internet somewhere that pressing the reset button for 10 seconds factory resets it, but most other sources only mentioned via the console. Got today an USB to RS-232 cable from amazon, gonna to log into it after everyone goes to sleep.

Continuing the Dell switch saga:

The cable didn't work for this one. Ordered another that I hope it'll work.
When I listened to the ARP conversations on my network, everything seemed normal. Not too much traffic just every...second or so someone sending requests. Usually printers (I have 2) seem to be chattier, Xbox, and for some reason my own computer had a bunch of messages in there as well. Whatever.

But, there was one weird ARP message coming from the switch itself (happens once per minute it seems):

quote:

3588 478.019084347 Dell_0e:cf:da Broadcast ARP 64 Who has 10.40.0.1? Tell 10.40.0.34

My network is 192.168.1.x, I have no 10.40.0.x IPs (that I know of). Could it be that the switch is configured for the 10.40.0.x network? Or is it normal for managed switches to just send weird random ARP requests for random IPs? Neither 10.40.0.1 nor 10.40.0.34 seem to exist though. No ping, no nmap answers, nothing. I need that serial cable to see wth is in there...

Everything works though now, but I just feel the need to poke it to see "why" it works.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Rakeris posted:

Are there any Ethernet drops? Or are you looking for entirely wireless? I would think so if you are talking mesh but wanted to make sure.

There is only 1 ethernet drop in an office but rest of the house is wireless.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I mean I regularly move around 20-30 gig media files over my gbit hardwire network and that alone is a big bottleneck for me. Anything of real purpose is hardwired and I do feel compelled to upgrade that portion of my network to 2.5GbE/10GbE some day. The wifi is fine, wireless IMO is just for portable / client consumption devices

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Volguus posted:

Continuing the Dell switch saga:

The cable didn't work for this one. Ordered another that I hope it'll work.
When I listened to the ARP conversations on my network, everything seemed normal. Not too much traffic just every...second or so someone sending requests. Usually printers (I have 2) seem to be chattier, Xbox, and for some reason my own computer had a bunch of messages in there as well. Whatever.

But, there was one weird ARP message coming from the switch itself (happens once per minute it seems):

My network is 192.168.1.x, I have no 10.40.0.x IPs (that I know of). Could it be that the switch is configured for the 10.40.0.x network? Or is it normal for managed switches to just send weird random ARP requests for random IPs? Neither 10.40.0.1 nor 10.40.0.34 seem to exist though. No ping, no nmap answers, nothing. I need that serial cable to see wth is in there...

Everything works though now, but I just feel the need to poke it to see "why" it works.

There's still a configuration on there from the network it was in previously. Your reset button trick didn't bring it back to factory defaults.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, my guess would also be that the switch itself is configured with 10.40.0.34 on a VLAN interface or whatever and it's probably looking for 10.40.0.1 as a default gateway to get to some kind of service.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 13, 2022

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Some of the ports might be configured for different VLANs too, which would explain why some "work" and others "don't". You should be able to sort that out and really factory reset it with the serial console.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, my guess would also be that the switch itself is configured with 10.40.0.34 on a VLAN interface or whatever and it's probably looking for 10.40.0.1 as a default gateway to get to some kind of service.

SamDabbers posted:

Some of the ports might be configured for different VLANs too, which would explain why some "work" and others "don't". You should be able to sort that out and really factory reset it with the serial console.

That's my explanation as well. I need to get in to properly reset the bastard.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

fyallm posted:

There is only 1 ethernet drop in an office but rest of the house is wireless.

So, honestly the "best" is wired backhaul, it's just the way to go imo. But if you don't have any interest in running Ethernet or paying someone to do it. The Ero, orbi (most common I think), and Zenwifi have been mentioned in this thread and most seem to like them, they appear to be the higher end mesh systems. I have no experience with them, I just follow the thread.

If you're interested in running wires (I think some of the mesh systems above also have wired backhaul and could take advantage of that as well), and are interested in a little more of a prosumer route. Ubiquiti appears to be thread fave, but more recently some of us also seem to have good experiences with omada. I'm a big fan, cheaper equipment, easy setup, web interface is nice, been up for months now with not a single issue. However, will need APs, POE switch (or they come with injectors), router, and a cloud controller or a PC to run it on.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 13, 2022

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Rakeris posted:

So, honestly the "best" is wired backhaul, it's just the way to go imo. But if you don't have any interest in running Ethernet or paying someone to do it. The Ero, orbi (most common I think), and Zenwifi have been mentioned in this thread and most seem to like them, they appear to be the higher end mesh systems. I have no experience with them, I just follow the thread.

If you're interested in running wires (I think some of the mesh systems above also have wired backhaul and could take advantage of that as well), and are interested in a little more of a prosumer route. Ubiquiti appears to be thread fave, but more recently some of us also seem to have good experiences with omada. I'm a big fan, cheaper equipment, easy setup, web interface is nice, been up for months now with not a single issue. However, will need APs, POE switch (or they come with injectors), router, and a cloud controller or a PC to run it on.

We just bought the house in April and have spent.... Alot of money on fixing things up and furnishing it, so really not wanting to find and pay someone to run cables. My main PC that will be used for gaming will be the one thing plugged directly into the router and rest of the house should be fine running on WIFI (don't have plex or anything, so movie watching and stuff like that will be thru streaming services).

I will take a look at ERo, Orbi and Zenwifi. I do know the new Nest Wifi should be coming out in October and will support wifi6e, but not sure how that compares to the three you mentioned.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Rakeris posted:

will need APs
Makes sense

Rakeris posted:

POE switch (or they come with injectors)
Sure, the APs need power
Sure

Rakeris posted:

a cloud controller or a PC to run it on
Why is this needed? Does this take the place of the usual software contained within a consumer-level router?
Perhaps the complexity of operations is too great for the computational hardware within a small router, because one could theoretically run 100+ clients off such a system?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Captain Pike posted:

Why is this needed? Does this take the place of the usual software contained within a consumer-level router?
Perhaps the complexity of operations is too great for the computational hardware within a small router, because one could theoretically run 100+ clients off such a system?

Yeah, it's an alternative management model - central controller instead of having every unit be autonomous. It's popular (even ubiquitous?) with enterprise networks, especially where you might have a lot of duplication in your AP configuration like a college campus with a bunch of lecture halls or a bank with a bunch of retail branches.

The hardware capabilities are probably not a big issue at least at the level of a home network, since your controller probably isn't actually tunneling/forwarding traffic itself as some enterprise deployments might do and it's not going to be managing enough APs to get loaded down from that alone. Modern routers often have fairly capable processors, maybe on the level of a smartphone from several years ago. However, you are right in guessing that this model scales up a lot better to truly large deployments. Also, detaching your control plane from any particular piece of hardware gives you more flexibility with hosting/accessing/securing it.

e: To take Cisco gear as a scaling example, since I'm familiar with it - the AP-hosted controller option supports 50-100 APs depending on the host's model. The newest dedicated controller appliance, the Catalyst 9800, supports up to 6,000 APs. The Meraki cloud management platform has no limit, as you might expect.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 13, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I still have yet to connect any of my Ubiquiti gear to anything cloud based and at this point i've got a lot of it.

I hate clouds

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My plan is to put esxi to a "parts bin" server. Maybe freenas and then some other vm for server stuff. Maybe esxi can run docker containers without any vm"s? Then torrent, sabnzb, unifi network thingy, homeassistant, ruuvitag gateway emulation etc.

I wish I had xeon and ddr ecc but only got a 8700K and regular ddr.

Anyways, what is the cheapest most reasonable way to get faster LAN speeds between my gaming pc and server? I have a 1000/1000 Internet connection and my lan is 1000/1000 too. My mobo has intel i225 maybe? Which supports 2.5G.

Some 2.5G cards? 2.5G switch and card? 5-10G stuff?? Any suggestions.

Edit: cheapest would probably be to buy 1x 2.5G and 1x1G cards. Put a direct wire between the server and gaming pc. That would be around 50€ total. Does it work? Does it make any sense? It would be 2.5x faster than what I have now.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 13, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
To be clear, you're suggesting that the server would also be the gateway/router for your home? Or is there another reason you want to maximize that speed in particular?

Anyway, how far apart are they? You can get a lot faster than 1G if they're in the same room. I think 40G/100G direct connect cards aren't that expensive used these days.

If they're not in the same room (and you don't want to run fiber) then Cat6 will get you 10G Ethernet at up to 55m and 5G/2.5G up to 100m.

Buying a 2.5G card for the side that doesn't have one and just running a cable should work fine, yes.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hey all, I've got a couple of PoE cameras that I'm going to be mounting outside the house and wiring up. I have some STP shielded outdoor cat 5e that I have never used before and I'm confused about how exactly I terminate it. Clearly the end in the camera outside receives a shielded connector, and I gather that I use the same on the end of the cable that'll be plugged into something like this wall plate (https://www.amazon.com/IBL-1-Ethernet-Gold-plated-Cable-Plate/dp/B01FAR6J16/ref=sr_1_4) and the on to the PoE switch. Is that correct? Can I then use a regular cat 5e cable from the wall plug on to the switch, or will I need those to be shielded, too?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You should buy RJ-45's with the shield tab instead of the plain clear plastic ones and run shielded the whole way.

however you don't really need those speeds for cameras, even crappy cat5 will give you 100mbps, so you can just skip that and it will still work for the video feed. Hopefully you've got 24ga wire for the PoE to not lose too much power over the distance.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks. Yes. I've got 24ga solid wire so I should be good on that front. So if I'm running the shielded connectors on both ends should I also have shielded keystone jacks?

E: answered my own q. Sounds like yes, keystone jacks should be shielded too, but I’m going to just run the cables directly to the switch

kgibson fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2022

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The jacks should be shielded, the cable should be shielded with either a drain or foil properly connected to the jack.
Should be shielded at all points in the solution ideally.

If you're installing a fully grounded/shielded system bonded to electrical ground I suppose you wouldn't be asking about it here.
Outside cameras, Ditek makes some decent surge suppressors.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody have any thoughts on UDM-Pro vs an opnsense box? Currently on opnsense, but the rest of my network is ubiquiti stuff.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I really like my UDM Pro. Setup was way easier than the USG I had before and has been rock solid for the last year I've had it. Teleport is now enabled on the stable OS, so you can use the WifiMan app to VPN into your home network in one button press too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on UDM-Pro vs an opnsense box? Currently on opnsense, but the rest of my network is ubiquiti stuff.

I ran pfsense for something like 8 years, then a few months of opnsense. Switched to a UDM Pro SE about 2 months ago. It all works, I did have to install Unbound on my pihole and use it for dhcp to get internal hosts to be registered. Tbh though, nothing was wrong with my old setup other than needing to buy a new wireless ap.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I love college football but I'm a cheapskate that won't pay for cable. My brother has cable and I'm pretty sure he has "Contour" streaming through our mutual cable provider, Cox.

I have an OPNSense box (like a 45nm Core 2 Duo or something iirc) set up at his house already. He has a couple of Ubiquiti AC Lite units that I set up for him doing the wifi work. I have another OPNSense box here at home with considerably more muscle.

If I set up a VPN at his house and connected my streaming box to it, would I probably be able to stream live football games (by pretending my streaming box is running Contour at his house)?

I am pretty sure he has the same ~10 Mbps upload that I do. He plays video games on PS4 and his son is a pretty avid PC gamer (I'll take credit for setting him down that path).

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

PBCrunch posted:

I love college football but I'm a cheapskate that won't pay for cable. My brother has cable and I'm pretty sure he has "Contour" streaming through our mutual cable provider, Cox.

I have an OPNSense box (like a 45nm Core 2 Duo or something iirc) set up at his house already. He has a couple of Ubiquiti AC Lite units that I set up for him doing the wifi work. I have another OPNSense box here at home with considerably more muscle.

If I set up a VPN at his house and connected my streaming box to it, would I probably be able to stream live football games (by pretending my streaming box is running Contour at his house)?

I am pretty sure he has the same ~10 Mbps upload that I do. He plays video games on PS4 and his son is a pretty avid PC gamer (I'll take credit for setting him down that path).

I don't know anything about Contour, but I can tell you that Wireguard on OPNSense works great as a VPN and my devices do think they are on the home network, with regard to all the services I run that is only available internally.