Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bush hid the facts
Sep 9, 2022

RokosCockatrice posted:

talking comp readjustments for market rate and inflation with your current boss could also be good practice. your boss might be able to surprise you or, even better, teach you something about asking for raises you can use next time.

I would like to go through this process, as the review I've had here before was relatively early and I didn't have leverage for a raise. My results from the last year have been remarkable, but I feel like I worked about 3 months too quick to hold it over them.

I'm not sure how to broach the subject without saying "Give me a raise (+ increased equity) or I walk," which sounds overly hostile no matter how I try to phrase it. Depending on how quickly interviews elsewhere move, they could be done before review season starts at my current gig, which rules that option out entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in a well actually posted:

you still have the nhs for another few months until liz sells it off to a large U.S. healthcare company for five gallons of heating oil

Figuring out healthcare as a 1099 in the us is the most important part.

Taxes are a close second.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah unless the comp difference is really huge I wouldn't bother with 1099 but most of the companies I work for have approved vendor lists that prevent that anyway

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

have an internship technical interview with a well-known unprofitable late stage startup scheduled friday. kinda stressed since i dont have much technical interview experience - any tips from olds?

mandatory report back: the interview was super chill and with an engineer a year out of college. he had me design a hashmap from scratch, which happens to be a project i did in my cs class last semester. got positive feedback and chatted with him about the company until he got kicked out of his conference room :D

thanks yospos for giving me wings

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

raminasi posted:

it almost definitely is. your old colleague told his co-founders that he knew he wanted you based on prior work experiences, they said ok, and now they just have to convince you to take the job. congrats on getting to this stage of your career.

seems this is the case. thanks.

now to figure out what early stage startup comp looks like in 2022 before my offer call in 22 minutes, i guess.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bush hid the facts posted:

I'm not sure how to broach the subject without saying "Give me a raise (+ increased equity) or I walk," which sounds overly hostile no matter how I try to phrase it.

???

i mean don’t be a dick about it but there’s no getting around the fact that it’s a threat

personally how i’ve done it is tell them frankly that market conditions are making it such that you no longer can see a long term outlook with you at the company. it’s not a ‘gently caress you im quitting!’ or overly aggressive but it puts your boss on notice that the clock is ticking

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bush hid the facts posted:

I would like to go through this process, as the review I've had here before was relatively early and I didn't have leverage for a raise. My results from the last year have been remarkable, but I feel like I worked about 3 months too quick to hold it over them.

I'm not sure how to broach the subject without saying "Give me a raise (+ increased equity) or I walk," which sounds overly hostile no matter how I try to phrase it. Depending on how quickly interviews elsewhere move, they could be done before review season starts at my current gig, which rules that option out entirely.

https://www.theonion.com/report-slamming-boss-against-wall-shouting-cash-i-n-1819577127/amp

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

seems this is the case. thanks.

now to figure out what early stage startup comp looks like in 2022 before my offer call in 22 minutes, i guess.

welp, pretty sure i left a lot on the table

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

don’t beat yourself up too much over it. we all hosed this up the first time. there’s a reason sales guys drill this poo poo nonstop

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

this is why it’s important (if you’re not a lifer, which nobody really is anymore) to regularly get interviews, secure offers and negotiate even if you have no intention of taking jobs

the people hiring have a hell of a lot more practice than you do otherwise

the most important thing in a negotiation is to know when you’ve won though. if you got a good raise and will be working with a good team, it’s gravy

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Not a Children posted:

this is why it’s important (if you’re not a lifer, which nobody really is anymore) to regularly get interviews, secure offers and negotiate even if you have no intention of taking jobs

the people hiring have a hell of a lot more practice than you do otherwise

the most important thing in a negotiation is to know when you’ve won though. if you got a good raise and will be working with a good team, it’s gravy
i do interview regularly, and have a really solid idea of what i can pull in from a few different segments, but generally speaking those are either research institutions or companies at series b or later.

the tricky bit here was specifically the stage of the company. depending on when things are signed, it sounds like i'm one of the first ~3 full time employees (outside founders) at a two month old company. also complicating this is that my current gig is a below market gig where the workload is basically nonexistent, but i get to feel like i'm contributing to society.

i ended up asking for a salary that sat about halfway between my current "altruistic" salary and what i'd expect at series b, and for a bit more stock. actual salary i feel fine with and am confident i'll see a solid raise after the next funding round, but equity is really where i feel like i could have gotten more.

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 10, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wife had a call with a crooter today and brought up salary completely unprompted :cripes::bang: i think she lowballed herself too :rowdytrout: i told you.... so many time.... no...... :negative:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

post hole digger posted:

wife had a call with a crooter today and brought up salary completely unprompted :cripes::bang: i think she lowballed herself too :rowdytrout: i told you.... so many time.... no...... :negative:

why do we fall master bruce

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1570047780109819906?t=0_qxEJD4wgcJTyBh9Nw4Qw&s=19

Weird how many tech leaders have apparently made the same mistake, and are realising it at the same moment

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what do you mean we don’t need 2000 people to make a text message gateway that connects to salesforce??? - a visionary business leader

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

what do you mean we don’t need 2000 people to make a text message gateway that connects to salesforce??? - a visionary business leader

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol I said 2000 as an obviously fake joke number and it was 1/4 the actual amount :psyduck:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I was shocked that when they said the patreon layoffs were only about 80 people. which means they have like 500 employees which is an impossibly reasonable number. no wonder they can't hack it into the unicorn big leagues

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

they keep trying to expand their business. they’ve been pushing IoT dataplans but that relies on an explosion of deployments of lte cat-m enabled sensors and those radios are still far too expensive in initial capital cost and power to really take off in the quantities they needed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

jesus loving christ

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

here’s another business tip: fire more people

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

:getout:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

smd

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:yeshaha:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol just searched 'crooter' in this thread. i had no idea it was such a controversial term, guess ya dont follow college football :shrug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

peeps always lowball themselves in figgyland

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

they have 3 bill of revenue and lose 950M a year on something that should be wildly profitable, now we know why.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

they have 3 bill of revenue and lose 950M a year on something that should be wildly profitable, now we know why.

i am amazing on so many levels

how is sending a text message on the internet that much revenue?

how does it warrant 7000 people? What do they even do send the text messages by hand?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

champagne posting posted:

i am amazing on so many levels

how is sending a text message on the internet that much revenue?

how does it warrant 7000 people? What do they even do send the text messages by hand?

carrier pigeon

but they are trying to do it by drone and that’s very expensive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

they have (had?) cool jackets though

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i can buy that actually getting those texts to their destination requires a million little hacks for every podunk cell carrier and MVNO in a country

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

normalize calling them crooters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DuckConference posted:

i can buy that actually getting those texts to their destination requires a million little hacks for every podunk cell carrier and MVNO in a country

carriers actually have the infrastructure for that. twilio is kinda analogous to sendgrid

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
paying twilio to send text messages for you instead of doing it yourself raises your text message expenses from basically $0 to still basically $0 even with their 10x markup

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

DELETE CASCADE posted:

normalize calling them crooters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the twilio hack is going to be insane when it happens. so many compromised 2fa systems.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

the twilio hack is going to be insane when it happens. so many compromised 2fa systems.

already happened, less than a month ago

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

in a well actually posted:

already happened, less than a month ago

oh. has any of the fallout from it started happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

oh. has any of the fallout from it started happening?

https://www.google.com/search?q=twilio+hack