Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It would have been pretty funny if she died on 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Yeah but all the people jerkin each other off about how funny it would have been is super dull

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah but all the people jerkin each other off about how funny it would have been is super dull

I haven't seen a lot of people jerking off about that?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen a lot of people jerking off about that?

You and I must be on different parts of Twitter

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
People don’t spend enough time trying to improve every aspect of their life that is substantially lacking. Anyone who has internet has the capability to learn anything they want, but laziness gets in the way of self-improvement. You can get as granular as you want, which is the best part of self-improvement. Maybe today you learn you’re not wiping your rear end properly or how to improve your posture. Maybe tomorrow you learn how to take steps to be healthier like eating better or not using substances habitually or how to be a better parent to your children. Maybe you learn how to use the internet as a tool instead of the source of all of your thoughts and feelings. Gradual self-improvement brings great happiness to those who want to be the best person they can be and I believe if more people were on board with the practice that lots of societal and economic issues would have a lot of the wind removed from their sails.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this thread is getting very wanky

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Irregardless posted:

People don’t spend enough time trying to improve every aspect of their life that is substantially lacking. Anyone who has internet has the capability to learn anything they want, but laziness gets in the way of self-improvement. You can get as granular as you want, which is the best part of self-improvement. Maybe today you learn you’re not wiping your rear end properly

I think we can figure out what prompted this post.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Gripweed posted:

I think we can figure out what prompted this post.

Yeah, a discussion where I explained that fat men especially should not be reaching their hand into the toilet, greasing their arm up, in order to wipe their rear end from back to front.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Nm

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Sep 12, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

japan clearly produces the best pop music. k pop sucks rear end and western pop has been ruined by adele so now everything has to be a ballad about "real feelings" or zoomer music

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Irregardless posted:

Gradual self-improvement brings great happiness to those who want to be the best person they can be and I believe if more people were on board with the practice that lots of societal and economic issues would have a lot of the wind removed from their sails.

I mean cost is also a really obvious limiting factor. And time and what the definition of a "good person" is are fraught with moral questions.

hawowanlawow posted:

this thread is getting very wanky

God alone knows.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zzulu posted:

I was a fat kid in school so I hated gymclass or whatever it's called in english

Funny enough, as an adult I go to the gym 5 days a week and love it. It's my drat hobby!

But as a fat kid I loathed having to run around with my moobs flapping in the wind infront of everyone while underperforming compared to all the other kids. It didn't make me fit, it didn't spark any joy for physical activities at all, quite the opposite. It made me hate that poo poo and crushed my confidence further. I would have probably loved alternative classes, especially actually going to a gym and lifting weights where I could do my thing instead of playing dodgeball or whatever

It's also loving hell for physically disabled kids who are not physically able to do physical activities like the other kids. Not that I have any personal experience in this area, mind you.

gently caress P.E.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Sep 12, 2022

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

there need to be more action games that use a "southern gothic" style. i want a boomer shooter where you shoot zombie and skeleton ghost KKK guys and confederate soldiers in a swamp and through big mansions, with lots of jumpscares and using american civil war weapons along with things like the stake gun from painkiller

You almost literally described the first episode of Dusk.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

You almost literally described the first episode of Dusk.

oh yeah ive been meaning to play that. ive been trying to get into powerslave on saturn recently but it's a little slow

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Analytic Engine posted:

Elites and conservative administrators value conserving health ie “fitness” instead of generating new positive sources of health ie “bodybuilding”. They demand you channel exercise through expensive leisure activities and boring abstract sports, stuff incompatible with limited PE budgets and teaching/training time. But aggressive weightlifting to look and compete like a physical laborer is something they can’t gatekeep and definitely *want* to stigmatize. Plus weights make you feel good, something that can never be allowed in school

“Elites don’t want you bodybuilding” has got to be one of the dumber takes in this thread

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bodybuilding to look like a laborer, :mmmhmm:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ideally any physical education reform would start with 3 pillars:

1) An across-the-board refusal to hire psychopathic sadists as PE teachers

2) College/professional sports recruiters to be shot on sight

3) A universal recognition that American football is not a sport

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

docbeard posted:

Ideally any physical education reform would start with 3 pillars:

1) An across-the-board refusal to hire psychopathic sadists as PE teachers

2) College/professional sports recruiters to be shot on sight

:hmmyes:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

docbeard posted:

What makes it not a sport? The fact that you don’t like it?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
American sports are kinda cool but they all last a long time. I think you are meant to second monitor them or maybe simultaneously watch 5 going on at once or something idk

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

docbeard posted:

Define "sport".

There's a great argument that it isn't a sport that we should be playing, or glamorizing, but that's not what you're saying

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
We should go back to the days when if you can't climb the rope to the ceiling, you don't advance a grade. Get moving fatties!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like the length and downtime in American sports is because of advertising dollars.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Lampsacus posted:

I feel like the length and downtime in American sports is because of advertising dollars.

That's only if you're watching it on television, try being in person at a baseball game and not killing yourself out of boredom

After your fourth hotdog and ninth beer there's still two more innings to go, baby

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Josef bugman posted:

I mean cost is also a really obvious limiting factor. And time and what the definition of a "good person" is are fraught with moral questions.

You don’t really get what I’m getting at. Morals don’t factor into whether or not you are practicing doing things better. Only once you have exhausted improving the small things can you begin to improve the larger, vaguer goals in life. I’m talking each action you take. Am I waking properly? Is my morning routine hindering me in any way? Should I change the order in which I tackle my tasks to save time? What could I be doing right now that would be more productive? Do I speak to people properly? Do I plan enough or too much? Do I constantly poison myself? Am I giving respect to myself and others properly?

Everyone is making decisions and doing actions all day long and most people have decided that the way they go about living is the best way and never strive to improve anything about themselves. You only get one life to live and if you’re not trying to live the best, happiest, most efficient life that you’re able to live, I’m not sure why anyone would choose to do that. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow and I’d be embarrassed if my last day on Earth was something terribly sad like “sat on rear end and smoked weed all day while being occasionally average at a video game and being mad about it” or “went to job and put in the bare minimum effort then came home and decided was too tired to interact with family in any meaningful sense.”

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Still better than cricket. No amount of goon can make that worth watching

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Most people who claim to like spicy food don't actually like it as much as they say

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I was in middle school, we could only get up to a 75% daily grade max if we did not shower naked. (We would get marked down to 50% if we refused to shower at all.) The gym teacher would sit on a chair outside the big shower thing and we could either walk by him and say we showered in shorts, or open our towel to show we were naked. Totally thought this was normal behavior.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

It is. Like obviously there's a lot built into football and baseball from before broadcasting but TV is the reason they take 3+ hours.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Irregardless posted:

Everyone is making decisions and doing actions all day long and most people have decided that the way they go about living is the best way and never strive to improve anything about themselves. You only get one life to live and if you’re not trying to live the best, happiest, most efficient life that you’re able to live, I’m not sure why anyone would choose to do that.

This is vehement horseshit and you should be ashamed for propagating it

Life is not a fairy tale where you can bootstrap yourself into happiness, there are ten thousand and more external factors that can effect a person well beyond their ability to read The Secret and wish themselves into functional adults

Many people can't choose that for themselves and that's why the United States has a national suicide hotline

Which, by the way, would be the choice they make alternative to your proposition

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Irregardless posted:

Everyone is making decisions and doing actions all day long and most people have decided that the way they go about living is the best way and never strive to improve anything about themselves. You only get one life to live and if you’re not trying to live the best, happiest, most efficient life that you’re able to live, I’m not sure why anyone would choose to do that.

I feel like you need to post some examples of these best, happiest, and most efficient choices that you, personally, are making daily

Or is this just a bunch of shitmouth tony robbins nonsense

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

What makes it not a sport? The fact that you don’t like it?

There are nuanced critiques to be made around the culture that's grown up around it and the money that's poured into perpetuating that culture but really it's just an unreasoning grudge against it pre-empting TV shows I liked when I was a kid.

(Mostly) unrelated: smug people saying "You don't hate X, you hate capitalism" have not considered that I am capable of hating more than one thing

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It is bonkers that carnival games are still allowed anywhere

It's one of the least consequential issues ever considered of course, but I really hate the normalization of fraud. It's one of those things that "everyone knows" but it's still allowed anyway.

Everyone knows the games are all fixed

Everyone knows that business having a sale didn't actually discount anything from its actual observed price

Everyone knows the undercoating doesn't actually exist

Everyone knows that supplement doesn't actually do anything

I dunno I think maybe businesses that tell us explicit or implied lies should be fined into penury with cash bounties to anyone who reports them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Creatine is proven to work

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Don't even get me started on carnivals / fairs that give away goldfish as prizes

That's tantamount to murder and everyone responsible should get the chair

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

It is bonkers that carnival games are still allowed anywhere

It's one of the least consequential issues ever considered of course, but I really hate the normalization of fraud. It's one of those things that "everyone knows" but it's still allowed anyway.

Everyone knows the games are all fixed

Everyone knows that business having a sale didn't actually discount anything from its actual observed price

Everyone knows the undercoating doesn't actually exist

Everyone knows that supplement doesn't actually do anything

I dunno I think maybe businesses that tell us explicit or implied lies should be fined into penury with cash bounties to anyone who reports them

People really like being scammed for some reason. Tourists in major cities will happily hand $50 to someone doing the shell game, which I think is literally the oldest con in the book.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Henchman of Santa posted:

People really like being scammed for some reason. Tourists in major cities will happily hand $50 to someone doing the shell game, which I think is literally the oldest con in the book.

I wouldn't give fifty G. W. Funbux to the guy but I'd maybe throw a five just to see the performance and try to spot the sleight.

Edit: oh man page 1111 is comin up everyone

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

credburn posted:

I wouldn't give fifty G. W. Funbux to the guy but I'd maybe throw a five just to see the performance and try to spot the sleight.

Edit: oh man page 1111 is comin up everyone

I've got an unpopular opinion that'll ruin everything, I'll save it for 1111

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

postmodifier posted:

This is vehement horseshit and you should be ashamed for propagating it

Life is not a fairy tale where you can bootstrap yourself into happiness, there are ten thousand and more external factors that can effect a person well beyond their ability to read The Secret and wish themselves into functional adults

Many people can't choose that for themselves and that's why the United States has a national suicide hotline

Which, by the way, would be the choice they make alternative to your proposition

My opinion is that you have decided that your happiness is out of your control. And that you have probably decided that there’s a thousand reasons the chores in your house aren’t completed and none of them are “you haven’t done them.”

If I’m wrong in my assumptions and you are poorly playing the devils advocate, then that means that you are capable of choosing to be a happy, productive person and you believe other people to be lesser and therefore unable to achieve what you have achieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Irregardless posted:

My opinion is that you have decided that your happiness is out of your control. And that you have probably decided that there’s a thousand reasons the chores in your house aren’t completed and none of them are “you haven’t done them.”

If I’m wrong in my assumptions and you are poorly playing the devils advocate, then that means that you are capable of choosing to be a happy, productive person and you believe other people to be lesser and therefore unable to achieve what you have achieved.

Lol you type like that "but because, I am enlightened by my intelligence" oval office