Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

As someone who has had to clean up startups legal fuckups...yes. Silicon Valley...was very on point. I remember one guy say oh no company would make that mistake and then lol Tik Tok.

I'm a low teens employee number at my current startup (we're approaching 350 employees) and Silicon Valley may as well be a documentary. The only thing they get wrong is the marketing - it's way worse than depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

psydude posted:

I'm a low teens employee number at my current startup (we're approaching 350 employees) and Silicon Valley may as well be a documentary. The only thing they get wrong is the marketing - it's way worse than depicted.

The thing that threw me off the most about Silicon Valley is how Jared from HR is one of the hardest working employees and is critical to their success and when he creates flow charts for project management it improves the organization.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I have multiple friends who work in tech who couldn't watch Silicon Valley since it was like being at work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I have multiple friends who work in tech who couldn't watch Silicon Valley since it was like being at work.

Reminds me a bit of my Granduncle Remo, who was a field surgeon during the Battle of the Bulge - he couldn't watch M*A*S*H* no matter how many times people told him he'd like it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

^e: As a former nobleman, Office Space is basically the life of a company grade officer but with better haircuts.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The thing that threw me off the most about Silicon Valley is how Jared from HR is one of the hardest working employees and is critical to their success and when he creates flow charts for project management it improves the organization.

Yeah but his unwavering worship of the founders he works for is dead on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Reminds me a bit of my Granduncle Remo, who was a field surgeon during the Battle of the Bulge - he couldn't watch M*A*S*H* no matter how many times people told him he'd like it.

That show hits close to home for me still, even just as a medical liaison at an outpatient clinic shadowing a trauma nurse.

The theme song drags me straight back there.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Just to bitch, an acquaintance of mine stated, in regards to

https://twitter.com/YAmzallagh/status/1569279660898529281

"I'm also curious to see when they will shift from a "special military operation" to a full "war" and then actually utilize their regulars and good equipment"

And in response to my stating "I'm sure those men and that equipment exist" in a sarcastic tone

"It absolutely does. He just hasn't used it because that takes an actual declaration of war. Whereas right now he is using his conscript army.

Much like they did in Afghanistan""

How does someone believe this at this juncture?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Just to bitch, an acquaintance of mine stated, in regards to

https://twitter.com/YAmzallagh/status/1569279660898529281

"I'm also curious to see when they will shift from a "special military operation" to a full "war" and then actually utilize their regulars and good equipment"

And in response to my stating "I'm sure those men and that equipment exist" in a sarcastic tone

"It absolutely does. He just hasn't used it because that takes an actual declaration of war. Whereas right now he is using his conscript army.

Much like they did in Afghanistan""

How does someone believe this at this juncture?

Just edit Nathan to have a russian uniform and send that to her every time she brings up the real army that's just standing by to go in and fight.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No gore or violence
https://twitter.com/SaintFeIIa/status/1569329147373035520?s=20&t=n_dokFLNshUwfWYx38bCwg

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol nice work

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1569359928694902786?s=20&t=kDwFmvmtiRi8I_vqx2gzmQ

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"There's nothing in here except a Speak & Spell and a note reading 'IOU one jamming unit - Dmitri.'"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol I saw a report earlier today that Russia was sending paratroopers as apparently those are the best trained/equipped guys available. Not a good sign if those guys are surrendering.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:allears:

Being in the technical intelligence business these past six months must be a fuckin wild ride.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol I saw a report earlier today that Russia was sending paratroopers as apparently those are the best trained/equipped guys available. Not a good sign if those guys are surrendering.

Don't think it matters how good or moto you are when you're in a basement that grenades are being tossed into

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They've been throwing the VDV into the meat grinder since Day 1 of the invasion, it's more a surprise there are any paratroopers left to surrender.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Don't think it matters how good or moto you are when you're in a basement that grenades are being tossed into

does depend on who's tossing the grenades, sometimes the grenade is the better option. luckily for the russians, that's not the case in this situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

They've been throwing the VDV into the meat grinder since Day 1 of the invasion, it's more a surprise there are any paratroopers left to surrender.

Willing to bet they are paratroopers in name only and are likely replacements that were given to a VDV unit already in the field. There's been a couple interviews with other VDV replacements where they emphasized they never even did a jump or got paratrooper training.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Playing the optimistic note, what happens when Ukraine finally has full territorial sovereignty restored?

In that scenario Ukraine would have demonstrated enough military might to spank Russia and push them out of their country, but what happens on the restored borders? Russia gonna Russia, so I see them being dickheads about it constantly. Bombing/striking cities trying to rebuild, endless funding of destabilization agents and entities, constant border skirmishes.

Even my optimist hopes turn out not too optimistic going down that line of thought.
Ukraine is already getting better all the time at shooting down missiles:
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1566339393597702144
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1568506904048975873
I think that if it comes to that situation, Russia will run out of planes and (really dangerous) ballistic missiles before Ukraine will run out of air and missile defense.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ukrainian paratrooper brigades are the same I seem to recall. More supposed to denote that yeah these are badasses than jump training

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Willing to bet they are paratroopers in name only and are likely replacements that were given to a VDV unit already in the field. There's been a couple interviews with other VDV replacements where they emphasized they never even did a jump or got paratrooper training.

:cripes:

There are going to be so many Sonny Puzikas wannabes if/when this war ends. "I was an elite VDV commando!" :downs:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

On the other hand this seems like a good way to make sure your paratroopers still have functioning knees and backs, so Russia may be onto something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loden Taylor posted:

On the other hand this seems like a good way to make sure your paratroopers still have functioning knees and backs, so Russia may be onto something.

Got a point.

But yeah, most of the VDV units in country were already half-manned and were largely replacements this late in the game.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

When taken in conjunction with the stat about how Ukraine is downing 50-70% of Russia’s missiles and all of their tank and aircraft losses, NATO countries are getting volumes of data on how their munitions and tech are performing in a real-world environment. Way more effective than any simulations or tests.

Which also makes me wonder if that isn’t a potentially destabilizing thing in the long run. I feel like a lot of Putin’s mythos was built on “modernizing” the Russian army and yet their Cold War tactics and gear is absolutely getting its poo poo pushed in, and if there’s one thing that Russia has historically been good at, it’s weaponizing their historical trauma into finding new ways and venues to escalate with their foes. I don’t know what that looks like, but I do wonder how the strategic environment is going to look one, five and ten years from now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I do wonder how the strategic environment is going to look one, five and ten years from now.

We've already gotten a peek. "Doomsday Weapons."

They don't even have to work, there just has to be an implicit threat that they *might*.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Theyve lost a lot of expensive, new planes and have lost a few t-14s. They already are using their good stuff.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The poster knows. They were making fun of their dumbass friend

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

Theyve lost a lot of expensive, new planes and have lost a few t-14s. They already are using their good stuff.

I don't think they've lost any T-14s, probably because I don't think they've been used; last I heard the thought was that they weren't ready/were vaporware. They've lost a number of T-90s, though, and other modern tanks and equipment.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I don't think they've lost any T-14s, probably because I don't think they've been used; last I heard the thought was that they weren't ready/were vaporware. They've lost a number of T-90s, though, and other modern tanks and equipment.

I was thinking of the t-90m, my bad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"There's nothing in here except a Speak & Spell and a note reading 'IOU one jamming unit - Dmitri.'"

The squadron EW officer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wcK6qvCqI&t=25s

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
uh oh

https://twitter.com/te3ej/status/1569471885129433089?s=20&t=jpQoKcJ8a9pOHT8l5MNy-w

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ukraine have anything that can touch a strategic bomber at altitude?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not but they've been shooting down over 75% of their missiles they launch anyways.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
guess I'm gonna go check to see how many days worth of canned goods I have in the pantry

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Maybe, but given that the whole Twitter account is a string of tweets about Russian strategic bombers with voice net active it doesn't seem to be anything new, unless I'm missing something.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well Russia left behind at least one of these recently:
https://en.defence-ua.com/news/ukra...photo-4168.html

Hopefully they left behind a few more during the recent giga-rout I mean, "strategic withdrawal"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That was that site I referenced a little a day or so ago, I suspect it's just standard conventional attacks. Nothing spicey...well I mean it's going to be used for a war crime, just not CBRN stuff.

Of course if anyone would transmit a nuclear attack order it would be the Russian's. :lol:

Also like :wtc:
https://twitter.com/Pieceofloaf/status/1569480192644780032?s=20&t=FBE4oBTrp17O5dv3dsbt5Q

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 13, 2022

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Maybe, but given that the whole Twitter account is a string of tweets about Russian strategic bombers with voice net active it doesn't seem to be anything new, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, there's nothing significant here.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EasilyConfused posted:

Yeah, there's nothing significant here.

That said, things can be discerned at times, as Orange Juche's post I referenced indicated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How often is one even close enough to do that? In combat, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How often is one even close enough to do that? In combat, I mean.

Gotta be even more difficult when you’re running away :confused: