Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

as I scrolled past I read it as NONCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

keep punching joe posted:

Out of respect for Queen Elizabeth II hospital appointments will be rescheduled.

https://twitter.com/martinrw/status/1569367850275737602?t=Fr4zMRYQall5K5E4pNwvfA

Brb, checking how close I was on this prediction

Edit: oops wrong thread

Devor posted:

Out of respect, the NHS is canceling all elective surgeries and vaccination appointments

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I propose we clap.

Z the IVth posted:

This is definitely not going to gently caress up a lot of people's lifesaving operations and treatments as hospitals go into bank holiday protocols, no siree...

Also called the NHS cancellations when she croaked.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Would it surprise you if they had a special exemption from the law like with the environment and court orders? Because they do.
Oh yeah, racial discrimination laws, they have a special exemption from those too, because they're already so not-racist that there's no necessity.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

'please care that the queen is dead. please. okay, well could you care at 8pm? it doesn't have to be all day'

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Oh yeah, racial discrimination laws, they have a special exemption from those too, because they're already so not-racist that there's no necessity.

how could the queen be racist? she ended colonialism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also special lol at this bit.

quote:

But I would wager that the bond between minorities and monarchy runs deeper still, for it is also a form of protection. In swearing an oath to a living sovereign, rather than a land or a written constitution, we descendents of immigrants are sheltered from the inclination of some other nations to transform citizenship into a question of blood and soil.
Mutaz, friend, they already literally did that in 1980. Thatcher did that to stop Britain being "swamped". The royals did gently caress all about it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

roomtone posted:

'please care that the queen is dead. please. okay, well could you care at 8pm? it doesn't have to be all day'

Wait, what?
Dead?
You'd think the TV would mention it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol all other funerals scheduled on the 19th have been cancelled. Sorry if you cared more about your actual nan rather than the Queen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol just watching the latest episode of John Oliver and there's two very obvious cuts in the intro.

One of them seems to be these comments about how Truss was lucky that Liz died this week (pretty mild stuff), and the other one seems to have been too spicy a queen take even for American TV.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1569175040754606080?t=OPsLlhYsgetnMMsXr7MWyA&s=19

John Oliver, bit of a melt but seems basically correct on royals at least

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol just watching the latest episode of John Oliver

please practice better self care, you deserve better than this.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
From a foreign perspective, this is all starting to feel performative to the point of parody. Like, obviously there's people who do care about it to this degree, but at least half of this I look at and the vibe I get is "they are doing this because they feel like it's what's expected of them", like it's imaginary peer pressure. It's so over the top that it makes the entire institution look like a self-important farce.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josuke Higashikata posted:

please practice better self care, you deserve better than this.

I really don't.

But also, it's fine, I can gaze upon liberalism and remain unsullied

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you gaze long into liberalism, liberalism gazes also into you, and declares you unserious politics.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Like, obviously there's people who do care about it to this degree

No, there aren't, nobody except close friends and family care 17 days' worth of grief. You don't get that much bereavement leave for your own mother, but the King gets to choose the length of the mourning period, so here we are.

A minute's silence? Fine. Day of national mourning on the day of the state funeral? Appropriate. Organisations the Queen was patron of who want to do something extra? Sure, go ahead, it's relevant. But everything else is pure performance and done out of a fear that the Daily Mail is going to make them villain of the moment for insufficient forelock-tugging. Literally nobody cares this much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

From a foreign perspective, this is all starting to feel performative to the point of parody. Like, obviously there's people who do care about it to this degree, but at least half of this I look at and the vibe I get is "they are doing this because they feel like it's what's expected of them", like it's imaginary peer pressure. It's so over the top that it makes the entire institution look like a self-important farce.

I think a lot of the media types actually do care an inordinate amount about all the stupid ceremony, like they get really hot and bothered about all this ancient bullshit that looks stupid and clearly isn't necessary to make the country work.

I'm sure one of the BBC fossils they dredged up to talk about was going on about how actually it makes the government work better, despite all of this literally bringing the government to a standstill.

It's all aesthetics to them. poo poo like this is what the country and its political institutions are for, the actual responsible governance part is an unfortunate thing they are occasionally compelled to do on threat of being lynched.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Lord of Hats posted:

it makes the entire institution look like a self-important farce.

That's literally the point of every monarchy ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Lord of Hats posted:

I would have to agree. I dislike the monarchy as a concept, but I think QEII was the least poo poo incarnation of that poisonous concept, and she had her benefits. She liked a good gin buzz, she had cute dogs, and she'd say nice things when nice things needed saying. But she's gone now, and I can well imagine her saying "this is all a bit ridiculous, don't you think?" She had the sense of humour to do skits with Paddington Bear and James Bond; I think she would find all this completely insane and slightly revolting, and the charitable part of me thinks Charles probably does too but he's too big a bitch to actually say anything about it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I would have to agree. I dislike the monarchy as a concept, but I think QEII was the least poo poo incarnation of that poisonous concept, and she had her benefits. She liked a good gin buzz, she had cute dogs, and she'd say nice things when nice things needed saying. But she's gone now, and I can well imagine her saying "this is all a bit ridiculous, don't you think?" She had the sense of humour to do skits with Paddington Bear and James Bond; I think she would find all this completely insane and slightly revolting, and the charitable part of me thinks Charles probably does too but he's too big a bitch to actually say anything about it.

The royal family pr department has done a number on you buddy

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

PT6A posted:

Liz's family is full of pedos (who she protected), she had a racist cousin-husband, and stood by and did nothing while the country went to poo poo around her, including carving out exceptions to employment, tax, and property law so that the country going to poo poo wouldn't affect her personally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She was still slightly less poo poo than the nazi (who was probably also a nonce) and the nonce (who may also be an eco-nazi), so best monarch 99% of Brits have ever had :toot:

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

The Lord of Hats posted:

SEE ALSO: Poppy Mania

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Necrothatcher posted:

The royal family pr department has done a number on you buddy

Aye, I suppose they have. I'm just saying why I feel the loss of the Queen whilst abhorring the monarchy as a concept. I think we in Canada should be rid of it immediately now, I think it's time to become a republic, but I liked the Queen. Yeah I'm sure she was a bitch occasionally, and she whelped a nonce, but that's not really her fault (the last bit at least).

Granted I suppose that's an opinion borne of her being our sovereign in all the good ways and almost none of the bad. As Queen of Canada, she was lovely. As Queen of the United Kingdom, obviously she was a bit worse.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PT6A posted:

Aye, I suppose they have. I'm just saying why I feel the loss of the Queen whilst abhorring the monarchy as a concept. I think we in Canada should be rid of it immediately now, I think it's time to become a republic, but I liked the Queen. Yeah I'm sure she was a bitch occasionally, and she whelped a nonce, but that's not really her fault (the last bit at least).

Granted I suppose that's an opinion borne of her being our sovereign in all the good ways and almost none of the bad. As Queen of Canada, she was lovely. As Queen of the United Kingdom, obviously she was a bit worse.

lol if you don’t think she planned all this poo poo herself well before she kicked it

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

The Lord of Hats posted:

From a foreign perspective, this is all starting to feel performative to the point of parody.

Things escalated rapidly. The creed was simple. Silence is respectful, and deathly silence is the strongest silence, so death must be the strongest respect.
The Top Gear boys flayed themselves with potato peelers. Spalding power station spewed thick banks of sage perfumed smoke as Lincolnshire queued up to commit suttee in the furnace. Kent, not to be outdone, walked off the white cliffs in one glorious afternoon and beat them to it. The immobile ate black ties until they choked, while the rich held commemorative plates against the driving wheel of their Range Rover Discoveries and drove into a bridge abutment so the airbags blew shards of HRH emblazoned crockery deep into their brains. In the empty parks, the birds sang.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Crown by Thomas Ligotti

(would read)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

Things escalated rapidly. The creed was simple. Silence is respectful, and deathly silence is the strongest silence, so death must be the strongest respect.
The Top Gear boys flayed themselves with potato peelers. Spalding power station spewed thick banks of sage perfumed smoke as Lincolnshire queued up to commit suttee in the furnace. Kent, not to be outdone, walked off the white cliffs in one glorious afternoon and beat them to it. The immobile ate black ties until they choked, while the rich held commemorative plates against the driving wheel of their Range Rover Discoveries and drove into a bridge abutment so the airbags blew shards of HRH emblazoned crockery deep into their brains. In the empty parks, the birds sang.

This is art.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can you imagine anyone at all our age giving this much of a poo poo when Wills pops it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Can you imagine anyone at all our age giving this much of a poo poo when Wills pops it?

God yes, far too many idiots around. Even if there's no monarchy by then he'll have his simps

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
do you reckon they take the piss because he's bald

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blame the monarchy's PR department if you will, but they didn't save King Chuck III from looking a complete oval office, for even two or three days. I don't think they're actually that powerful. I don't want that large-eared ponce on my coins!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Mile-long queue of 20,000 to see Queen lying at rest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62879795

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

God yes, far too many idiots around. Even if there's no monarchy by then he'll have his simps

True true. His current wife was a simp FFS. Played a blinder though, literal shot at being queen in the next couple of decades at most.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
those people really need a piss imo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
So when does stuff like coins, stamps, passports actually change? Does the mint kick off with the new designs as soon as Chuck gets crowned or what?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
would be p funny if they had a quiet family service and that coffin contains a bunch of her favourite corgis she had frozen for the occasion :laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Mile-long queue of 20,000 to see Queen lying at rest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62879795
Don't put "walking dead with spectator journalists" into dall-e and try to fool me crispix :mad:

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

So when does stuff like coins, stamps, passports actually change? Does the mint kick off with the new designs as soon as Chuck gets crowned or what?

In order to save money they're just going to do plastic surgery on the new guy

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a shame the commemorative plate industry is no longer what it was, I reckon if she'd karked it 10 years earlier we'd have had some absolute belters by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Where are the commemorative NFTs