Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ImpAtom posted:

which means the best you could do is kill someone else instead.
thats all he wants

Jabbering Idiot posted:

It's like that scenario where you don't have to outrun a bear -- I just want to be able to make others into meat shields for me. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

thats all he wants

Oh. That is a lot of words to say I Am The Protagonist Of The World.

Besides if you want other people to die you play healer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If the MT dies in an alliance raid and you, as a DPS, are suddenly the new aggro target, the best thing to do is not to kite the boss around away from the rest of the raid, much less the OTs, but to eat the hit then laugh about it in /a.

This means you also get the opportunity to gently rib the tanks while on the floor to see if any of them wake up.

Coming here to complain about the rest of the raid complaining about you "not paying their sub" is lol, lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my proudest gamer moment is when a tank grumbled about me in void ark back in heavensward, because I was forcing them to use their aggro combo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagine getting worked up over the idea getting murked by someone else's incompetence in an alliance raid, to the point where instead of letting the idiot tanks take the heat, you make yourself everyone's object of scorn instead

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

cheetah7071 posted:

my proudest gamer moment is when a tank grumbled about me in void ark back in heavensward, because I was forcing them to use their aggro combo

Mine was in ARR, tanking the dragon in the bone zone as a dragoon and none of the 3 other tanks being able to keep threat off of me even with provokes while wailing in alliance chat about not dragging it north. Queued with a healer friend who kept me alive.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I sometimes get hit by tankbusters in alliance raids when one of the tanks is dead, but that is 50/50 the dead tank's fault and my curse for being #2 in the list

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Eating a tankbuster in an alliance raid is a mark of honour, awarded to the top-performing DPS out of all fifteen of them present.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

super-redguy posted:

Eating a tankbuster in an alliance raid is a mark of honour, awarded to the top-performing DPS out of all fifteen of them present.

It's this. Getting obliterated by tankbuster in an alliance raid is a humblebrag (unless you were just standing on a fully functional MT's spot, in which case lol).

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The real honor is when a healer decides that your life is worth saving and shits out a shield large enough for your scrawny rear end to survive the tankbuster

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had The Burn in my mind and I finally like a glam I put together (boots may get swapped if I can get the raid pair to drop :argh:) so you get to see Val.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I dunno about you guys but I like going ham on DPS without having to worry about stripping hate from the tank. Imagine not being able to experience the joy of a blm triple flare cause the stack would tear you to shreds.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Regarding island gain maximization, I also had some issues with the spreadsheet, and instead have just gone to a pretty simple couple rules of thumb:

A craft will always be insufficient + skyrocketing the day before it turns nonexistent.
A craft that goes insufficient + increasing will be insufficient the next day, and will not have a nonexistent day that week.
(Assuming you haven't contaminated the supply by crafting a bunch that week already)

Saves a lot of faffing about with overcomplicated spreadsheets.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Grayshift posted:

Regarding island gain maximization, I also had some issues with the spreadsheet, and instead have just gone to a pretty simple couple rules of thumb:

A craft will always be insufficient + skyrocketing the day before it turns nonexistent.
A craft that goes insufficient + increasing will be insufficient the next day, and will not have a nonexistent day that week.
(Assuming you haven't contaminated the supply by crafting a bunch that week already)

Saves a lot of faffing about with overcomplicated spreadsheets.

Yeah this is basically it. The spreadsheet helps for guessing what things will be a few days ahead, but if you're checking the island at least once a day you can prepare for the strong days and do well that way.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

hazardousmouse posted:

I dunno about you guys but I like going ham on DPS without having to worry about stripping hate from the tank. Imagine not being able to experience the joy of a blm triple flare cause the stack would tear you to shreds.

:hmmyes:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Thundarr posted:

Yeah this is basically it. The spreadsheet helps for guessing what things will be a few days ahead, but if you're checking the island at least once a day you can prepare for the strong days and do well that way.

Yup! I never used the spreadsheet, but those few tips are exactly what I would suggest if you wanted good profit without the extra hassle. Got my bike in no time at all. It was kind of fun figuring out what best suited the next day actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In terms of materials do people just spend hours farming up everything on the island?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I always gather by what's needed that day, so it's never a long commitment. If you can't check in every day though yeah I wonder the time of gathering for that situation

E: oh if you meant like in general, just focusing on the upgrades and gathering everything in your path along the way you'll have a decent bit without it feeling exactly like a slog. But yeah some things like hemp and logs are always gonna be needed and it's so much

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 12, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of materials do people just spend hours farming up everything on the island?

Between the granaries it takes me like 15 mins to farm everything I need after setting up my week of crafts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, when I set up next week (I'm just going to wing it picking high/very high demand and ignoring supply to get a baseline) I just needed 15 more island laver so I did a couple of swimming loops. Once you get things set up you get a decent stockpile of the basic stuff.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

hazardousmouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epTFlg2EgB4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I always gather by what's needed that day, so it's never a long commitment. If you can't check in every day though yeah I wonder the time of gathering for that situation

E: oh if you meant like in general, just focusing on the upgrades and gathering everything in your path along the way you'll have a decent bit without it feeling exactly like a slog. But yeah some things like hemp and logs are always gonna be needed and it's so much

Yeah I was specifically thinking of hemp and logs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I sit down with a podcast and do loops for an hour or two, yeah. You really don't need to do a ton of gathering to have enough to last you for a couple weeks, assuming you hit up all the key hotspots for stuff like Hemp.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The salt bottleneck is real, but thankfully it's also within spitting distance of the hemp beach too

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Quartz is the one that really hurts right now

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's a few spots that open up once you unlock flight at level 10, including a bonanza for quartz and other ore and a cluster of cotton.
Salt Crystals are still only in the few beach spots, though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Quartz is the one that really hurts right now

It is no longer an issue at rank 10 because the peak of the mountain has just enough space to cram in 11 nodes, and like 7 of them are quartz

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am aware of the rank 10 nodes but they have not been very helpful to me, a person who is not yet at rank 10.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I got up to rank 9.5 mostly with doing daily workshop crafts and whatever I needed to craft new tools/buildings with each rank up and minimal grinding. But after that and a couple rest days in sight afterwards I went feral and just went out gathering for hours, with the end goal of getting 100 of each material you could gather.

I hit rank 10 before I could finish them all, with the last one being quartz. So my victory lap was flying up to the top of that mountain and crossing that off too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

super-redguy posted:

I usually do raids on Summoner and I've found that in level 80-90 raids I'm almost never the highest DPS (if I am it means the melees are truly awful) but the huge front-loaded damage spike from bahamut puts me solidly at #2 on the aggro list anyway

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I was specifically thinking of hemp and logs.

For logs, I find it best to ignore the spot marked in the in-game guide. Instead head to the north side of the lake, where there's a lot of limestone. Other (east) side of the river you just head south harvesting and curve when you hit the other river, then ride back to the top and do it again. I'm not sure if the total log per time compares to some ideal spot, but I find the line very easy to do repeatedly instead of trying to make a good loop through a scatterplot like the south side of that river is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I am aware of the rank 10 nodes but they have not been very helpful to me, a person who is not yet at rank 10.

There's a good bunch around the northeastern hot springs. You can get the majority of the major crafting mats needed by doing a full circuit around the mountain, sticking to the river, and avoiding the westernmost plateau. That'll also let you take pit stops by the two major fishing nodes, so you can get everything aside from iron and concrete without going too far out of your way.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Roluth posted:

Just remember, don't dive into the enemy team without a plan. Use Blota to pull priority targets out of the blob, then stun them to let the rest of your team pile on. Use LB when the rest of your stuff is ready, then go ham.

Bonus points if you time Primal Scream just as your DRG is about to come down with Sky Shatter.

The most satisfying thing I've ever done in this game is Primal Scream at 2 enemy players, outright kill one, and then as the other was running away from the bomb blast aoe I was standing in I chain pulled him into it and just barely stepped out while watching them get annihilated. So satisfying.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
SMN is the most satisfying job I've played in CC. Just screaming BAHAMUTSIZE MAXIMUM while deleting the entire enemy team.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well that was certainly a Sastasha. DRK didn't turn his tank stance on until the third pod (And even still we'd occasionally peel something off him), ARC was clearly a sprout of sprouts and occasionally wandered off. NIN was adequate and I as WHM dad just sighed and kept people healed. Including hardcasting Raise twice because my swiftcast was still on cooldown from the DRK dropping in the big grotto full of clams. Which probably at least 20% my fault, but I picked everyone up because goddamn it I will not wipe in loving Sastasha.

I swear I get parties as WHM that I never get as SCH.

Meanwhile, new NIN glam because I couldn't take myself seriously in the Hildibrand outfit.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Yeah unless they've discovered some pattern that extends across series, there's no way to know yet what the best rest days are for next week

The first day has no demand modifiers. You should always be crafting something with a demand modifier (or something to combo into something with a good demand modifier) so the first day should always be a rest.

The second rest day varies week by week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have they said what is coming this semipatch?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Have they said what is coming this semipatch?

the notes are up

no new content, just paladin/warrior buffs and lowering the boss health in P8S

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Blockhouse posted:

lowering the boss health in P8S
holy poo poo i was not expecting that at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

holy poo poo i was not expecting that at all

It's a pretty funny reason, too: they spent a higher than usual amount of time balancing and refining it, so the final numbers were built around a team that knew the fight backwards and forwards instead of basing it around the DPS you'd normally expect given the release date.